Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm looking to move from a Mazda3 to a TM3 or a TMS, and fuel cost is part of the equation. Using pretty pessimistic numbers, though.

Comparing mpg to l/100km, mpg feels less intuitive when it comes to comparing actual fuel use and potential savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Stop saying "explode".
Stop saying anything about charging employees.

Make a rule that if you charge before lunch you can't have the charger after lunch, and don't worry about it. Thats still a pretty good charge for 6 employees a day. How many of you employees have EVs? 3 chargers isn't going to be enough long term, regardless of how you ration them.

loving this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Isn't installing a bunch of 10 amp outlets cheaper and easier? If you spray paint EV only do you still get the tax credit for installing them?

This is not a good solution.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

The whole 'free charging' concept was why my company no longer has marked EV spaces near outlets. Too many bubbas complained about employees getting 'free gas' when they had to pay to fill up their F350s. I offered to pay $25/month for what I estimated my Volt was consuming while plugged in at work, but there were concerns that would be seen as paying for parking closer to the building. Which is also why they didn't install charging stations after I practically submitted all of the needed documentation for them to get free charging stations from the state.

This is a management problem.

Also re low/high power outlets: Type 1 charging with normal outlets isn't recommended for permanent charging use, at least not here in europe...

Type 2 with load balancing means that you have the opportunity to charge up quickly if the power is available, but everyone gets their fair share regardless of how many users you have, even on limited power.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I was posting in a hurry, and messed up. Thanks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deathreaper posted:

I've noticed the AP performance has increased significantly from when I got it on my 3 sometime in September until today (keeps in the center of the lane of the highway even better and no longer encroaches on double lines in twisty roads where it use to). It also freaks out less frequently when seeing shadows of overpasses / overhead highway signs.

Completely unrelated to the first point, a friend of mine wants to buy an EV and was looking at a 2018 leaf. I know it still doesn't have the liquid cooling battery management system but has Nissan managed to remedy the battery degradation issues associated with the lack of thermal management or is still an unknown? Note he lives in a climate with extreme high and low temperatures.

Stay away from the leaf.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hold on, as a Volt owner, would I be a jerk for using public chargers? I thought it was cool I could travel to Columbus from where I live on a charge, plug in while I shop, and be on battery for the way home too

Unless you're literally hogging a charging spot for hours, and making other people wait (unreasonably) long for you, neh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I really, really don't understand this mindset.
I mean, in the first picture, they're pretty obviously douchebags, but I still don't get how that transfers to "gently caress over EV drivers" specifically. Kind of like the picture floating around the net of the lifted diesel 4x4 with "Prius Killer" (or maybe it was "Prius Repellant") on the side. 'Course anyone that rolls coal is a moron, given.

edit: I should note, possibly, that I don't own an *EV, but I have nothing against them (other than I can't afford one...) I also don't own a giant diesel pickup, though I do own an early '70s musclecar, and a passel of rotaries (which, by the way, I would love to electrify one of.)

Having read your project thread, I would love to see you electrify an old rotary :sun:

Seems I'm going on a 1100 mile roadtrip home in a new model S 75D in a few days, will know more tomorrow. The end of quarter deals makes buying a used one stupid.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You have to spend some money to get that tax credit, though.

I have a 30 mile round trip commute, and I can barely make TMS work out as cheaper than my current mazda3.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rapidgate is a thing with the leafs in Norway of all places. They screwed up. The new i3 has effectively double the usable range because it fast charges like a champ.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm on the plane to Tromsø right now to pick up my new S75D :toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Seems foolhardy to try running an EV as your daily without even level 1 home charging

I'm doing this over the next few weeks/months until I'm getting a type 2 charger installed at home. Thankfully I have a supercharger close to home, and free charging at work (30 miles round trip commute).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Leaf is loving useless in its current iteration though. Thing can't fast charge if it's too hot, and there's no active cooling.

I spent new years driving a brand new S75D from Tromsø to Drammen in a winter storm. Apart from some seriously dicey road conditions and a ferry that got delayed, it was fine. The supercharger stops were well timed for breaks I needed anyway, especially in the weather I was driving in. I can imagine it's a bit more boring during the summer.

The road conditions were so bad that the average power consumption was around 300 Wh/km for a while, and I chose to charge some (10%) at a 22kW charger while I took a break, to be sure that I had enough battery to reach the next supercharger. Effectively this wasn't an issue as I had over 20% when I reached Storjord supercharger, but better safe than sorry when you're out driving in the middle of loving nowhere during a storm.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Also I am still cranky that they keep making the cars I don't want and nobody makes an electric Miata competitor with two rear motors instead of a diff and a 150 mile range.

I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The torque characteristics of electrical motors does a lot to mask the weight, too.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe improved battery tech backed by enough renewable energy and charging locations will bring back an era before aero drag coefficients were king. "gently caress it, the battery is big enough for 150 miles, there are plenty of charging stations with no gap greater than 50 miles, let's make an electric '59 Cadillac with modern safety features and comfort."

So basically the iPace?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

You think an ipace looks like a '59 Cadillac?
No, see:

Sagebrush posted:

I think the implication was that the iPace has the sleekness and aerodynamic efficiency of a '59 cadillac

:thejoke:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can confirm that a model S is scary when going downhill on ice :v:

Nearly ended in the snowbanks twice on the 1100 mile trip home from Tromsø with a brand new car, not my idea of fun.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

My sister related to me how a few weeks ago she saw a Tesla try to jump the light at an intersection and turn left before she (heading straight) could go through, and the road was snowy and slushy, and it ended up fishtailing onto the sidewalk and landed in a bush.

I thought they had better traction control than that? Surely the combination of electric motors and ABS gives you near-instant control over wheelspin.

There's only so much the computer can do when faced with a retarded driver.

:v:

In general, traction control in the Tesla is pretty goddamn good, but it can easily get you into trouble too. It does a lot of work before ever lighting up that yellow icon, and generally the car feels so planted and stable that you don't realize what's going on until you're out of grip while having to make a correction. Boom, Tesla goes bambi on ice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not sure why you're still sperging about that poo poo.

Traction control during regen is pretty goddamn good, at least in my experience driving in Norway during winter.

Also nice surprise: We have a 22kW type 2 charging station at work :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pun pundit posted:

What do you mean they don't work in winter?

Trolls will troll.

I have a Tesla, and I live in :norway:

Easily one of the best winter cars I've driven.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's a Model 3 issue since it doesn't have a resistance heater to warm up the battery pack, instead the drive motor heats it up, and it's not so good in the super cold. I don't think Norwegians will like the Model 3 as much.

~270 to ~95 miles range in -15C still sounds like bullshit. But we'll see, TM3's are due to be delivered in a few weeks and with some luck we'll have a proper cold spell before spring to experience how poo poo they really are.

Yes, you get range reduction during winter, it's both due to temperatures affecting the battery (when it's below freezing), and colder temperatures equalling higher air resistance due to air density increasing by an appreciable amount when temperatures drop. But we're talking 25-30% loss in range, not 60%.

I averaged 202 Wh/km driving from Tromsø to Oslo around new years eve in a brand new Model S 75D. That was during a winter storm. Worst areas I was pushing 300 Wh/km (1-2 inches of slush/ice/snow), and my best average between charges was like 160 Wh/km (bare roads, doing 45-55mph in traffic).

Trip B is from Trondheim to Oslo (ca).

I've experienced parking brakes sticking a bit after parking in a heated garage overnight, and windows sticking a bit in -12C (as in you can hear the window unstick from the rubber gasket), but that's it. Doorhandles have been perfectly fine so far.

Edit number gently caress knows: We have a metric asstonne of Nissan Leafs over here, and they are truly poo poo during winter, even with a heat pump. 50% range loss is typical. I guess that's what no battery heat management gets you, heh.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 29, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pun pundit posted:

Well, I live in Norway and I am currently sick and tired of my 24kWh Leaf's severely reduced winter range (mostly because it takes so much of the pack to warm the car up that even short trips take 10+% of the available energy). I'm strongly considering a Tesla model 3 because it's more battery capacity for the money than other options, and unlike the e-Niro and Kona electric if I order it now I'll get it before next winter. The supercharger network is a nice bonus. This is the first I've heard of such a reduction in range from the cold with the model 3.

Do you park in a garage? or have a charging point at home?

There's a lot of discussion on elbilforum.no as well, and that kind of range loss has not come up once, and if you're on there you'll know that there's a few trolls there that like to point out poo poo like that whenever they get the chance (like on every forum, I guess :haw: ).

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Any reason why you haven't considered buying a used Model S instead? They've got unlimited supercharging, you know.

Unlimited supercharging doesn't make that much of a difference. It's 1.70 NOK (20c US) per kWh here, and the Model 3 is disgustingly efficient to boot.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Not just range suffers on a cold Model either. Regen & acceleration are also reduced with a cold battery. Coasting without braking doesn't slow you down as much, and it won't accelerate as hard if you mash the party pedal either.

Rode with a friend who's a big time bazinga (like, bought a Model S, bought a Model 3, met Elon, traded in the S for another 3) and I got to witness the door handle, window, regeneration, and acceleration issues firsthand last week.

This happens to ALL EV's, though, not just the Model 3. The S and X doesn't have a lot of regen either on a cold battery, but it heats up enough to have decent regen after about 30-45 minutes of driving, even in the cold, and the pack retains heat fairly well once warmed up.
In -10C I need to drive about an hour to get full speed at a supercharger (93kW at 40% SoC in a 75D), while full regen is available sooner.
It further highlights the need to leave for a longer trip with a mostly full battery if possible, or that first supercharging stop will take a while.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pun pundit posted:

Currently, I don't. My condo will be building an underground parking garage over the next couple of years, so I will in the not too distant future. If they are not complete idiots (condo management is frequently idiotic) they will also make the installation of charge points in this parking garage possible for residents.

It's mandated by law that the condo management can't hinder installation of charge points unless there are very specific circumstances, so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

When building a new parking garage, installing the necessary electrical infrastructure for charging is a minor cost-driving factor. Even using ZapChargers that are fairly expensive we're talking around $2700 / 25000 NOK per parking spot to retrofit an existing garage, so a new build will/should be somewhat cheaper. You absolutely do not want to use "dumb" charging points though, as peak power tariffs are coming and the penalties for exceeding them are pretty stiff. Source: I work in EE/automation and some of my colleagues work directly with EV charging solutions.

E: I also charge at work right now, and since my condo management is sorta retarded, I've asked for pricing for a 32A 230V 1phase industrial outlet. I'm not going to blow $1500 on a charge point if they're going to mandate Zapchargers next year so I have to pay twice. The 32A CEE outlet will cost like $600 installed, and I can live with using the CEE adapter and Tesla UMC at home for a while.
That being said, I only commute 50km per day, so if I get 7+ hours of charging at work on 13A, I'm set. I also live 2km from a large Supercharger (16 spots) that is seldom busy, so I stop by there when I come back from trips, and 1-2 times a week when I have to buy groceries anyways.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 29, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

wolrah posted:

edit: Wow, charging when cold is even worse than I'd even expected. https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/cold-battery-supercharging.5548/

Ugh, this is why you always charge before parking at the end of a trip (if it's cold).

You can pull a TeslaBjørn though, if you have enough battery left. Find an open stretch of road and do hard acceleration and regen pulls for a few minutes to get some heat into the pack.

The S/X has a 6kW block heater for the coolant loops, while the 3 does not, so that significantly hurts it in the cold, thus my suggestion above.
Typical supercharge speed in an S/X with cold battery is like this: <0C = 0kW, all power goes to heating, 0-12C = <30kW, 12-24C = 30-60kW, >24C = sliding scale 60 to 90/110 kW as you hit 30-40C in the battery pack. Very rough numbers going off memory here, so it's probably not 100% accurate.

I'm looking forward to the reports on the Norwegian EV forums when people start getting their cars in a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla adds a heater in the next revision of their battery packs if they get enough complaints.

E:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Whenever my battery's cold before I show up to a supercharger, I drive it like I stole it for about 15 min. The on-board heater will never get the battery up to the temp it needs to be so accelerating hard heats it up quick.

:same:

if I know I have to supercharge on my way home from work (25 minute drive) in the cold, I do hard accel/regen pulls until I get full regen, and then some more to be sure the battery pack is warm enough.

I got my S75D a month ago, so my experience with an EV so far has all been from winter driving.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 29, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bjørn Nyland has published a review and a winter range test. As much as I like to diss Audi (well, mostly the drivers who are physically incapable of using their blinkers), this looks like a fairly solid EV. Should be a good alternative to the Model X, and I suspect it blows the iPace out of the water altogether.

Winter range test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucPJy0JnNLo

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd9IGis-r7M

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

No but I did learn that the Tesla 3 is unimpressive in the snow. That's with all wheel drive and Nokian winter tires sooooooo yeah. Oh yeah and they didn't call about the price and time it'd take you know like basic poo poo any other car company would do. So naturally I was like LOL sucks for you I have a Bolt CHEVY AMRIKKAAA (South Korean) gently caress YEAH!

Re: snow, compared to what car? Genuinely curious.

Sounds like less than stellar service, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drgitlin posted:

Different OEMs tune accelerator pedals differently. Different modes in the car remap it (so in eco you get much less acceleration at 10% throttle than in sport mode, for example) and then OEMs also tune the pedal differently depending on the market. For instance, in the US and Japan, Mazda makes their throttle pedal quite linear and with as little lag as possible between input and power delivery. But in Germany, customers like the sensation of a short (0.25 second) lag between pressing the pedal and anything happening, so in Germany Mazda sets up the cars to do that.

I've had that weird throttle thing on some cars and its really loving annoying. My Mazdas have never been like that, I've had a couple of 626's (one '87 2.0, one '88 2.0i 16v), a couple of 323's, a Mazda 6 and currently a 2015 Mazda3 and a 1999 MX5 10AE 1.8, so I have some experience with them.

I wish Mazda could make an electric Mazda3. That chassis is so underrated, and I hear the new revision for 2019 is even better.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nice meltdown :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ola posted:

Teslas have many "California-design" features that work badly in winter, like the door handles, frameless doors, low mounted radar etc, but the actual road performance on snow, given appropriate winter tires, is one of the best you can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbaNQQaFrnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cNEbA8CqYs

The radar has been surprisingly decent in heavy wet snow, better than my 2015 Mazda3 that has the radar behind the emblem. That thing gets covered in snow real quick.

I hit the frozen window thing just earlier tonight, that was no fun.

Duck and Cover posted:

There's no argument to win, just differing opinions. I like pineapple on pizza.

The data seems to disagree with your opinions. Facts > Opinions.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Dude, your rap sheet pretty much sums this up.

Learn how to talk about things like a normal human being and you won't get shat on as much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

As for winter driving in a Model S (without the winter package): the windshield wipers are almost worthless, they ice over super quickly. I also had to scoop out a disturbing amount of snow from around the wheels after about an hour on the highway. But this is in pretty lovely conditions, aka snowstorm in :norway:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i presume that much like all cars you can buy winter wiper blades and put them on the Model S

although i recognize that it would be very Elony to use some sort of proprietary size and connector for reasons

I haven't really looked into it yet, tbh. The main issue seems to be that they ice up really bad really quickly. Though I haven't been very good at clearing the area below where the wipers rest for snow/ice and that certainly doesn't help.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ola posted:

It doesn't help that the area where the wipers rest get very little heat. Can you leave the wipers in the maintenance position whenever parked? Preheating should work better then.

Yeah I always park with the wipers in the maintenance position. Doesn't help all that much, the wipers ice up really quickly while driving. Shame I didn't take a photo of how they looked during one particularly grueling trip with wet snow in -8C. That said, it's not as bad if you clear the area below where the wipers rest really thoroughly before driving. Just not used to having to do that, as most ICE cars dump some heat in that area.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elephanthead posted:

Do you even need to be able to see with autopilot on anyway?

:downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The expectation is that the model 3 will charge at 150+ kW. Its currently limited by the BMS. Supercharger v3 is expected to push 150-180kW according to some sources.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm phone posting like a bad and forgot a minor but important detail. My point about the BMS limiting charge speed was that tesla doesn't have enough data on >120kW charging, so it's limited in software until they do.

At least that's my theory, and it seems to make sense. Charging at less than 1.5C can hardly be called fast. The older 75 packs are even more gimped.

I'm really looking forward to the CCS adapter, so I can semi-fastcharge (>70kW?) my model S in Oslo without having to find the nearest Supercharger.

One detail with the upcoming supercharger v3 upgrade is that it'll probably mean faster overall charging, especially for the second car that connects to a charger pair. As-is, the chargers seem to max at 125-140kW total per pair, limiting the first car some and dumping the second car at 30kW charge speed until the first car starts tapering. More powerful chargers will decrease charge time significantly overall as a result, even for the older cars.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not having to worry about what days gas is cheaper is pretty nice. But it's pretty annoying to not have a charging outlet at home.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is this a thing that people worry about? Better drive an extra 5 miles to save $.04 a gallon!

Well, the price spread is significantly bigger here, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I find it kinda hilarious that this is a thing in the US.... where gas is cheap and people commute in giant trucks that use twice what most Europeans cars do.
Range is only a big deal in EVs because of how long it takes to charge. If/when EVs get down to sub 5 minutes or so for at least 80%, no one will care anymore.

I live in :norway: and things are quite different here :suicide:

E: USD/Gallon varies between $5.8 and $7.2 depending on what day of the week it is. Generally bottoms out on Sunday/Monday morning and Thursday evening, peaks Monday afternoon and Friday.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 11, 2019