Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I haven't read this thread since I had my Volt a few years ago...what do you guys think about the Bolt? I think there are some Bolt owners in this thread? It won't be my family's primary car but I'll end up using it for some light commuting and airport trips (60 miles each way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Due to an overvalued trade, abusable tax credits, and some decent deals, I can trade my 2019 Leaf SV with a little more than 10k miles for a 2020 Bolt LT with Comfort and Driver Confidence 1/2 for a net price of around $0.

I like my Leaf a lot, and I will miss ProPilot for sure. However the extra 26kWh of battery, thermal management, CCS, and speed is very tempting.

Oddly enough, even though the Bolt is probably a better EV, Carvana would give me $1k less for a hypothetical 2019 Bolt versus my Leaf. Little worried about what that means resale wise.

Is this a trade y’all would do?

The same rebates, etc work for a lease which is what I would do. Buying an EV outright really scarred me after the hilarious depreciation I had on my Volt.

edit: make sure the bolt actually has dc fast charging, some of them have been dealer ordered with every option except that

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 23, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I was just pricing up a few different EVs and holy crap the interest rates are all over the place! Best I found so far were (I think) the Bolt at "1.99 up to 84 months", but their pricing thing doesn't show finance/lease rates, at least on mobile. Then it jumps up to 3.49 for 48 months on the Prius prime, and 3.79 on the Kona EV for everything but 96. The weirdest was the E-Nero 6.99 lease rate that offers basically no benefit over their 3.99 finance rate and the fact that Tesla only seems to offer a 96 month (!) finance package at 4.6% on the 3. Admittedly I haven't shopped for a new car in 20 years, but are people really financing these things over 8 years? And do Tesla not lease? The Bolt really starts to look better and better once you actually start pricing things out.

The bolt lease APR is 1.22% for 36 months. Residual is different depending on trim. The edmunds forum will have the latest lease rate and rebates. I know I got the promo lease apr with $11k of rebates when I bought my Bolt at the beginning of the month.

pun pundit posted:

Whenever I have financed a big purchase I've used a bank rather than dealer financing. It's been consistently cheaper and seems less predatory (Banks don't try to upsell me or try to convince me I want a different product). Is that not a thing in the US?

You can use your own bank but generally if you have decent to good credit, the promo financing from the manufacturer has better rates.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

mysteryberto posted:

Gen 1 requires premium gas. I've read you want to check to see how many miles of the odometer were driven on the gas motor vs electric. Also good to see average MPG over life of the car.You can see this in the car menus.

The premium requirement was because they were worried about the gas getting stale. I used regular in my 2013 and it was fine.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Really glad I leased my 2020 Bolt.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Long_Tine_Spork posted:

I think the fast charging can actually be added on later for the same amount that they change when buying it as an already installed option, but ask the dealer to be sure.

No, there’s a lot of pieces on the charging system that can’t be dealer installed if you don’t get the DC fast charging option.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

one of the biggest complaints about early Bolts was that the seats were not comfortable

this is still true on 2020s! sources: my butt and back

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ah, I thought they had been revised, guess not or not sufficiently!

I mean, they're fine. I never drive longer than an hour in them. Supposedly the 2021 Bolt was getting revised seats and interior but it's been pushed back. I'm glad I leased!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I would probably just get another Prius or equivalent (Corolla Hybrid or Ioniq) unless you feel really strongly about wanting to plug in your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Oh you want wheels with your car? You must be a TSLA short!