Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Kia Niro interior tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us5fV1Oa2vo

Same as Kona more or less, slightly different interior layout and more rear legroom. Assuming it gets the adaptive cc lane keepy stuff as well. Comes in 64 and 39 kWh.

I'm legit looking forward to getting this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Have you pre-ordered?

No, I don't think there is a way to pre-order this car in USA yet.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

After seeing how few Niro EVs will be made in 2019, I decided to order a mid range RWD TM3. I wasn’t looking forward to being part of the Tesla club but there really isn’t much competition anywhere else.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I put an order in for a TM3 last night, and I already received a text saying expected delivery is 12/14. That's much sooner than I expected.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Ya, they’re through the backlog and are essentially delivering cars on demand at this point.

I'm glad, then 'cause it seems their cars are still eligible for the $7,500 tax credit as long as are sold before Jan 1st.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bawfuls posted:

How spec'd out is it? They've been prioritizing the most expensive configurations for awhile but I wonder if they're nearly all on-demand now.

I got the cheapest option possible. 18" wheels, black, RWD mid-range, no autopilot.

ratbert90 posted:

Another shameless plug, but feel free to use my referral code. You get 6 months of free supercharging with it: https://ts.la/adam65331

I'd love to if you could help me out with giving you the credit. As far as I know, though, only the premium TM3 qualifies for this.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

Any TM3 will get 6 months of free supercharging when using a referral code. You can just call Tesla and have them add the referral code to your order.

I clicked on your link, then clicked on "I have a Model 3 reservation" then it just took me to my account page. Not sure if it worked, I'll let them know if it didn't.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When a Tesla spontaneously catches on fire it makes the news news so I think you can find that out from a google search.

Edit: Maybe your garage ceiling has a firewall. Apparently it’s common to have fire protection when garages are under living spaces.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 11, 2018

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If a battery's about to explode, it's most likely going to happen from overheating. Limiting the maximum charge to 90% should help with that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Got it!

It's a sweet ride.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My wife and I decided to order the car on a whim on Sunday night.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I ordered a 30' 14-50 extension cord to run to my garage for now since I don't want to pay for a new run into there. At first I was worried that the outlet being only 40 amp would be an issue but it turns out the mid-range model 3 only uses 32 amps.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The superchargers are freakin' fast, man! I decided to take my family to lunch while our M3 was charging, and the Tesla app told me it was done so I had to go run back to my car half way through eating my meal. I got an email later saying that they'll forgive me just this time but I'll have to pay $0.50 a minute if it's idle again.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I decided to try out the autopilot 30 day trial, so far I'm not impressed. The way I see it is Tesla's driver assistance feature is a way to pay to be a tester, and to get some beta features early, and I don't really think that's a good thing. It kind of reminds me of the pre-order business strategy game publishers use.

I don't think I'll purchase any of Tesla's automated driving features until it's out of beta testing, and the federal government authorizes using them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drgitlin posted:

Sounds like yet another confused customer who thinks Autopilot is some kind of self-driving system and not just adaptive cruise control and lane keeping.

Maybe they'll split out their Autopilot features into separate packages at some point. What I'm saying is I don't want to pay for the privilege of testing out beta software.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RZA Encryption wants to roll down hills without engine braking, it'll save gas but cars aren't designed to coast in neutral. Edit: beaten. I really should refresh once in a while.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Last night was my first time charging on 14-50 240v, it really does help with range anxiety.

My electric company has an EV-centered billing plan where the first 400 Kwh from midnight thru 3:00 AM is free. I'm going to do a couple weeks worth of charging at home before I ask them about switching to it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bennyfactor posted:

Where do you live? My electric bill averages only 475Kwh a month (I mean, I don't have an EV yet). A plan like that would make a powerwall pay itself off in two or three years if you could set it up to pull juice from the utility company during those hours and feed it back into your house the rest of the day.

I live in the Atlanta area. Here's a link to their plan: https://cobbemc.com/content/niteflex

Why the heck would they offer 400 kWh per night is beyond me, maybe they're future proofing for larger battery packs in cars?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Thanks, bennyfactor and Ulf. I should have noticed that it's per month. I'm not sure I can manage to get most of our energy consumption off-peak even with our EV charging at night. I'll likely stick with the plan we got.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m on a cross country road trip with my family using our new TM3, so far 1,100 miles in. We’re having a good time.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

We just made it to Indio from Atlanta in our model 3. It was a pretty uneventful trip.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Wow, long trip! How was supercharger congestion?

We didn’t run into any congestion through any of the states along I-20, most of the time we were the only ones charging, until we got to Indio.

It looks like CA Superchargers everywhere are at capacity.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

ilkhan posted:

I'm more concerned about them not moving out of California. Try and lock all the crazies in one place and stop infesting the USA.

Too late, I already infested the south but I’m not sure that place was better to begin with.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Oh I meant the above post by Nfcknblvbl, aren't those just Teslas at superchargers as they should be?

I wasn’t complaining that I had to wait, just taking notice the 15 or so super chargers I visited along my road trip were empty until I visited CA.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Whew the blizzard in NM was rough on us, we were stuck on I-75 for 8 hours. I had to turn off climate control in order to make sure we still had enough range.

We’re out of the snow now, car needs a wash!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ulf posted:

As impractical as an EV motorcycle is in every other way, I love how the climate control (a 90W jacket liner) has no appreciable effect on range. Running it for 24 hours on max will eat 15% of my battery.

Oh yeah, the heated seats also won’t do jack to the battery, that’s what kept us from freezing!

I’m still riding a fossil motorcycle (Husky 701). Some day I’ll be 100% electric.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

For winter EV road trips a nice fleece throw helps your passengers a lot.

brb buying a driving snuggie

The wife and daughter were snuggled up under a Sherpa throw from Costco. PBUC.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The market believes that Tesla only meeting the tax incentive difference about half way isn't enough, and demand will wane. I suppose the market also thinks the Model 3 won't do well in EU since sedans are pretty much dead there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

240v/32 amp charging at home is pretty sweet if you can pull it off. I’ve got my charge limit set to 70%, and I’m home with 50% after doing 40 miles of whatever. Charging at 120v in my home would have been pretty dicey.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The first thing I did when I took my Model 3 into a icy/snowy parking lot was to try to get it out of control. The traction control does an amazing job but once you get some decent speed the large mass of the vehicle can be a real problem. The car's regenerative braking acts as a better-than ABS braking solution but you're gonna need a lot of leeway if you want to stop that's for sure.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sanchez posted:

Regen in snow is pretty dangerous, the cars do not manage it well and can lock up the rears (RWD) or all 4 wheels (AWD). It's a smart idea to set Regen to low in those kind of conditions.

I've had a good experience with regen on ice, it's similar to engine braking on a motorcycle. As you let off the accelerator, it slows you down gently. Regen braking is a lot easier to manage than using the brake pedal in icy conditions in my opinion.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm going to guess it is like riding a motorcycle in snow where the back wheel will effectively lock up (it doesn't lock, the motor just overpowers the rear grip with engine braking) if you come off the throttle too quick.

I loved engine braking on an SV650 I used to own, the rear end would be all over the place but I'd still be going in the direction my front wheel's pointed. It's the same with regen in the ice. I don't know what the experience would be like with AWD, though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

So I'm going to get my TM3's windows tinted on Thursday, the salesperson mentioned an option to add 3M automotive crystalline heat rejection. I'm thinking the added heat rejection is worth the $200 extra price since I won't need to use the AC here down in the south as much, effectively adding range. Am I right?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cool, thanks Ola. My wife's rightfully concerned about our daughter getting too hot and it's not even summer yet so I'm gonna justify the extra dough for her health.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Beffer posted:

This worries me about the Model 3. Australia is hot, hot and we regularly get extreme UV days. (I had my first skin cancer removed at 23). My Hyundai has a heavily tinted glass roof, but in summer we close the internal cover or else it’s unbearable. Not having the option To cover the glass worries me. And if you have to tint it so heavily that you can barely see out, then what’s the point?

The Model 3 has UV protection and a lot of tint on the top, though. Your exposure to UV won’t be any different than any other car with the model 3.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Are you really describing your rear wheels locking up and sliding all over and your front wheels providing no braking force at all as “better than ABS”?

You know the feeling when you're on ice, press down on the brakes, ABS kicks in, and you start sliding and lose the ability to turn? Engine braking (or regen braking) in RWD lets you keep your line in a turn even when you lose some grip on the rear wheels.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Kona just screams compliance car to me with those small production numbers. Also, the Ultimate version is priced about the same as the Tesla Model 3 mid-range. If Tesla's free cruise control was adaptive, I would say that the Kona EV would be beat in every way.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Honestly the kona is a really attractive option, but I'm not a huge fan of crossovers. I'm more excited for what it means for the growth of EVs and what competition other manufacturers have. It competes pretty directly with the Bolt EV, so I'm curious what GM has in store for the gen 2 Bolt in a few years.

They seem to have finally gotten rid of the tent!

GM's also building a Cadillac EV, might be cool!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drgitlin posted:

A: the US has to compete with global demand for the Kona so that’s why we’re getting so few here.

B: the Koreans have been making better-made, more reliable cars than anyone else in the industry for at least the last five years. Meanwhile Tesla makes cars in an unpermitted tent outdoors and they don’t work in winter.

C: literally no one should be cross-shopping a little EV hatch with a much bigger EV sedan that’s several thousand dollars more expensive.

D: misusing “compliance car” ought to be a bannable offense. It certainly lets me know who thinks we should all be driving more EVs versus people who just want to white knight a billionaire because they think he’ll take them to Mars to be his janitor.

The Kona's scarcity in the U.S. is a bummer no matter the reason. I really hope Hyundai and Kia produce as many battery packs as GM and Nissan. I was comparing the price of the Ultimate option of the Kona which lines up with the Model 3 except for the bullshit $5k driver assist.

What else should I call a car that's only sold in California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's mostly TSLAQ bullshit.

It's a Model 3 issue since it doesn't have a resistance heater to warm up the battery pack, instead the drive motor heats it up, and it's not so good in the super cold. I don't think Norwegians will like the Model 3 as much.