Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So I need to (eventually) replace our 2003 C-Class MB. Want to go all electric. I've driven a model S, Leaf even an EV1 (back in 1996).

Not interested in spending lots of $$$ but need ~250 mile range due to San Diego to LA drives.

So the choices seem to be between the Tesla 3 Base and the Kona EV.

I trust Hyundai more and the lifetime battery thing looks good.

The Tesla looks cool and there are Super Chargers everywhere (closest is 3 miles from my place). Hyundai still gets the big tax break.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Oh on test drives?

In 1995 I test drove a Nissan 240SX. Dealership (Mossy Nissan) lost my f-ing drivers license (WTF) and I was due to fly to Austin to speak at SXSW that evening. In the line at the DMV (they took me there) they asked what would make it right.

1. Less than $200/mo tax included 3 year lease.

2. No down payment.

3. 15,000 miles a year.

They did it. Loved that car. (yes, the 5-speed).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ola posted:

Waiting time on Konas? You can probably get a Model 3 faster than a pizza delivery by now.

They match up fairly well. The Model 3 has the remote app and better autopilot, but the Kona has a HUD and isn't trying too hard on the clever stuff. The Model 3 clearly wins on acceleration and charging speed, that may or may not matter.

I think a test drive in each and some YouTube searches are required.

Yeah, Tesla says 4 to 8 weeks for the entry-level Model 3. Local Hyundai dealer has sold their allotment.

Luckily my oldest son's GF works at a dealership in the PNW and she can get them.

Will test drive them first, of course.

Note: My son had use of a Model S P100D for a weekend, the stories from that sounded epic.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait, really? I signed up to get emails from Hyundai on the electric Kona release and have heard nary a peep, but they're already being sold by dealerships? :psyduck:

The one near me took preorders and that's their story. I haven't seen one on the road so I don't know if they have delivered any, and in this town Model 3's outnumber new Camrys.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Did you make Zork Zero?

No. Technical Producer on The Return To Zork. Game Engine, UI, and some of the unfairest puzzles.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

sanchez posted:

You could do this with either, no enroute charging would be needed if you could charge at your destination somehow. If you can't do that and you're considering the Kona, I'd pull up plugshare and filter by CCS chargers and see what your options are. There are usually only a few CCS stalls at a given location, so someone who has left their Leaf plugged in or broken equipment can be an issue. You'd probably only need to charge once on a round trip in either car, the Tesla will be more than twice as fast doing so but that's not a huge deal unless you're making the trip frequently.

I live in the San Diego area and stay in LA during the week. With maybe 2 exceptions, since Jan. 2018 I've been using Amtrak and the subway with my folding bike. So this would be an occasional thing.

Once a year or so we drive to see my wife's family in Vegas. That's where the Model 3 has the advantage, but when you add in that $7500 Tesla federal tax break has ended, the Kona EV is a far better deal.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I can still hear the intro music

I get free rye on occasion at game cons.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dissss posted:

All Leafs drive pretty much alike, I've had a go in the first of the new shape models and it still felt very much like my 2012. Stuff like the Ioniq/Kona/Niro seem much more refined and mature, they have guess-o-meters which you could actually call fairly accurate and are nicer to drive.

Nothing wrong with a Leaf (battery degradation aside) but Nissan never improved them enough to capitalise on being first.

I test drove the 2019 Leaf. The e-pedal (sp) thing is pretty cool. The Leaf Plus gets the 62kwh battery and for the first time thermal management.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

McPhearson posted:

Fixed that for you.

Oh gently caress! Even the compliance Ford Focus EV had thermal management.

quote:

While the technology is undoubtedly innovative, Ford is not alone in its choice to use a liquid thermal management system to maintain battery pack temperature. ... The all-electric Focus Electric, which will be built in Ford's Wayne, Mich., assembly plant, will have a range of about 100 miles per charge.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's totally fair to have a higher registration fee for EVs. The point of adopting electric vehicles is to save the planet, not money; and in any case, you get the state and federal tax credits and you will of course save money on gasoline fees and (supposedly) maintenance down the line as well.

If your primary interest in an electric car is saving money, go buy a Geo Metro and drive it for twenty years and you'll still come out on top of a Model 3.

No, it isn't. Gas cars create expenses (climate etc.) that have real costs.

We should make EV free to register.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Godholio posted:

Let me hop on the bus that drives me 45 miles across the loving desert and drops me off 3 miles from work, where I can compete with 500 other employees for one of the three cabs in this town.

This is why I got a folding bike, one that can fold/unfold in less than 15 seconds.

Great for the bus or train.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Hyundai Kona EV looks like a good deal (full fed tax credit, 250 mile range, battery warranty) but I wish they would just offer that battery pack (64kwh) in the Ionic, which is a much better-looking vehicle.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hyundai just isn't ready to fully enter the EV market due to limited battery supply, so you're going to have to wait a while for a 64kWh option.

I did find out that a 175 mile range Ionic upgrade is out soon (2020 model). The base cost for that car was about $27k so with the rebates it could get to $19k which isn’t bad.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

More like model 3/leaf...

The fact that Leaf still gets the full $7500 plus the new info that they are offering me another 1500 for loyalty PLUS those crazy low interest rates without having to try from a bank really has me leaning. I think the leaf looks better than the bolt, too!

Isn't the lack of a battery thermal management system an issue?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

sanchez posted:

I'd really like to see the math on those electric airplanes. A 75kwh Tesla battery weighs about 1000lb and contains the energy equivalent of 10-20 gallons of gasoline, which itself worst case would weigh ~100lb's. A beaver has a useful load of 2,150lb. Even if that is bumped up significantly due to weight savings from the electric motors vs. a radial, I don't see how they'd have any kind of decent range let alone leftover load for passengers/cargo.

You're not accounting for the engine/motor efficiencies. Gas engine (carb radial) ... maybe 30%. Electric Motor? >90%.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Defenistrator posted:

So, remind me again why noone cares about hydrogen fuel cells?

I've always been turned off by buying an ev because of the long charges and fact that lithium is a really expensive material.

I'd love to see more hydrogen cars at least in concept

Overall the charge (electrolysis)/power (fuel cell) efficiency may be about 60% at best (best EV's >90%) and since they don't have a lot of power, you end up putting in batteries anyway.

Also the hydrogen you're buying probabily came from fracked natural gas anyway.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Elviscat posted:

If only we had some sort of energy source that was mature, safe, carbon neutral, and ideally suited to being by the coast, to provide energy for desalination and electrolysis, maybe some sort of science-fictionesque rock that just sits there and produces massive amounts of heat? It would be good for EVs too!

But we'd probably try and cover literally the entire state of California with solar panels first.

For example, take the spent fuel rods sitting on our local beach (San Onofre).

PLEASE.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Ripoff posted:

IIRC it still holds true in West Virginia due to their energy generation being fueled mostly by coal, and I know GA is also particularly awful in that regard after I purchased the damned Volt. However, I read that it’s not just gasoline engines but good hybrid designs that are better, and that a 25-mpg car is still a higher polluter.

The Prius is probably the better car to own in the majority of the US if you want to absolutely minimize your carbon emissions today for your 4-wheeled privately owned and operated vehicle needs. Tomorrow’s another story, and bicycles are the absolute best in that regard, unless you’ve eaten a gnarly burrito beforehand, I guess.

I’m not sorry for my fart joke

Charging An Electric Vehicle Is Far Cleaner Than Driving On Gasoline, Everywhere In America

New data shows that in every corner of the United States, driving an EV produces significantly fewer greenhouse gas emissions than cars powered only by gasoline, regardless of the local power mix. Today, an average EV on the road in the U.S. has the same greenhouse-gas emissions as a car getting 80 miles per gallon (MPG). That’s up from 73 MPG in 2017, and far greater than the average gas-powered car available for sale in the U.S., which hit a record 24.7 MPG in 2016.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dissss posted:

I do wish Nissan would get their poo poo together with the Leaf - basically all I want is a brand new version of my 2012 that will reliably do 100km for the next ten years with a practically shaped load area (the 2012 still has a massive battery hump in the trunk area). I don't care about any range beyond that, don't want any auto driving stuff beyond the basics that are in every car and certainly don't want a performance car so all that is needed is to sort out battery degradation.

But no, they're still half-assing the Leaf and selling a pretty grim range of petrol CUVs which literally no one would buy if they weren't the cheapest option. Say what you will about Mitsubishi but at least having a plugin option gives the Outlander a point of difference from the competition.

Nissan tried to sell their battery factory and switch to better (thermal management) batteries but that deal fell thru.

So you're stuck with air-cooled batteries that won't meet your goals.

Best bet is the Hyundai/Kia EV's with the 64kwh packs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dissss posted:

64kWh is way too much battery for someone like me to use as a commuter car - it adds too much cost and too much weight.

I'm waiting to see where prices go on the 28kWh Ioniq once they start hitting the second hand market - they're still air cooled but seem to hold up much better than what Nissan is using.

I have the occasional San Diego to LA Trip.

I'm considering a 175mi range Hyundai Ionic because I like its looks but the Kia Nitto EV is probably more practical.

Right now I have a Toy-Auto Echo I bought new in 2000 that has 260k miles on it (original clutch!) which gets around 40mpg and the wife has a 2003 MB 240C that is a total gas hog but was purchased in 2004 at a crazy low price and runs well. So she'll probably get the EV first.

Nowadays I train->bike to work anyway so the Echo is a station car. Maybe the thing to do is get her the high-range EV and I buy a used Spark or Leaf and just switch if I need a longer trip.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I didn't know that 20 years ago Chrysler sold an EV Van (NiMH batteries) with 80-90 mile range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3suNtJjfsM

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Powershift posted:

there was a time some weird CARB rule made manufacturers pump out a few electrics.

early versions of the late 90s ranger EV used lead acid batteries, later ones NiMH. The S10 electric was even weirder, because it was FWD

I did bike rides with someone who OWNED the original NiMh RAV4 and it had over 100mi range. He drove it for over a decade and sold it for more than he paid.

I do see a good number of Tesla-RAV4's in my hood, those are also quite excellent and are no-longer available.

I love my toy-auto and would buy a Prius EV that had 200+ mile range in a NY Minute, but instead, they have flushed a lot of cash into hydrogen vehicles which is a dead end.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Does this make sense to buy?

http://sodo-moto.com/listings/2002-toyota-rav4-ev/

I knew someone who had one of these and it was quite good.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Haha that's awesome. I'd be tempted but what concerns me is the likely nonstandard charging port. You might be limited to home charging only. Maybe an ev conversion shop could hook you up with a more traditional j1772 charger?

I have 220v right at the garage door, but conventional charging would be a must for any decent trips.

I'm worried that this would become a cash sink.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Do you have a budget? The newer RAV4 EVs with traditional chargers and Tesla batteries go for I think like $15k. Also, gonna keep plugging the <$10k spark ev. Some have CCS charging!

I could swing that. Heck with the $2500 SDG&E rebate + Cal. and Fed. rebates I could swing a Kona EV, but I may need two EV's. Our two autos are a Echo with 260,000 miles (reliable, but how much longer) and a MB C-Class that runs about $1k a year in repairs and manages to get maybe 24mpg downhill in a hurricane (on premium).

The Tesla RAV4's are highly desirable around here. Haven't seen any Sparks for sale, that would be a good replacement for the Echo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Tesla customer service straight up does not exist. I am literally getting a lawyer to get a fender for my 3. Emails: unanswered
Calls: Passed off or “Not my department”
Online chat: See above
Going into a service center: We don’t know/No ETA.

At first I did get an email back saying “End of February, then end of March, then they ceased emailing me.

I have never ever had such a horrible experience with a company. Ever. They also squelched on 2 of my referral prizes. Never buy a Tesla.

This is what loses it for me.

Hello Kona.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Get a Kona or a Niro or a Bolt or a Leaf or an i3. These are all good vehicles produced by professionals who care about their products.

Or a Jaguar or an Audi if you feel like throwing money around to show off.

Or wait a year and get a Mach 1. Those are supposed to hit at the same price (pre-tax credit!) as a Model 3 or Y.

Wait two years and see what's cooking at Cadillac or Fiat/Jeep or Lincoln or if any of the Chinese brands are approved for import.

Get a used Volt or some other PHEV. There's a lot to choose from.

Don't buy a Model 3.

Don't get the Leaf if you drive in areas that get hotter than 100ºF or colder than 32ºF for extended periods. Batteries not liquid cooled/heated.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol hell yeah give me that electric suburban that goes 15 miles on a charge

It doesn't work out that badly. Weight turns out to be less of an issue because of Regen.

A 140kwh Surburban EV could hit 200mi range with some aero improvements.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

Having come from a Scion FR-S where I regularly (not often but consistently) put teens and adults in the second row, third row is totally fine for the few times it'll get used. Better to have it than not. As of now, what does it cost to get 7 equivalent seats in a different EV? It's like people can't break from the mentality of "Each seat must be comfortable for a big adult on a four hour trip minimum". What do you think they are claiming exactly? I rode in the trunk several times as a teen when there were no more seats, this is an upgrade!

I hitchhiked, when I was 16, from Albany, California to Detriot, Michigan in the summer of 1973 in the propped up trunk, sitting on sleeping bags, in the back of a Duster 340.

Yes, really.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Booourns posted:

Has there ever been a single car in history that has appreciated over 5x when it's 3 years old?

Le Ferrari

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Can I register this with lyft and make people contort between the roll bars?

The new tesla suv might be more cruel.

I once an Uber pick up a rider at the San Diego airport in a totally tricked out Evo. Sounded very modded.

Tesla X as a Uber car? That's commonplace in LA.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Anybody following the new MEBV platform VW IQ? Preorders are set to start tomorrow.

The top of the range model is rated at 550 km (340 miles) of range (WLTP). Prices start at a bit less than $30k, I assume that is for the 330km (205 miles) range model. DC fast-charging capability will support a charge rate up to 125 kW.

Has me holding off on a Kona EV.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/13/vw-id-electric-hatchback-pre-orders-open-may-8-production-september/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

So I bought a Nissan Leaf + SL for 37.7 @ .9%.

Dang, it's pretty fancy. Adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, blind spot warning, 360 degree parking camera. The android software for the remote climate control and location information is slow and lovely, but works. Seems like the Tesla software works quickly and nicely. The thing is fast as heck, and I really got to learn the meaning of torque steering as you can really feel the ECS compensating. Something else I'm sure isn't a problem with a Tesla between rear wheel drive, and presumably better ECS tech. It also has something called "trace control" which is supposed to keep you from dying while going too fast through a corner. Haven't experimented with that yet.

It's a big upgrade from the old leaf types, and probably a better value than a Tesla with a larger tax refund and a hatchback and the very low loan rate. Have only put about a hundred miles on it, haven't had much of a chance to put it through its paces.

Unfortunately, mine seems to have a factory defect, and it's at the dealer for a rhythmic thunking sound while coasting at speed.

My issue with the Leaf is lack of a decent battery thermal management system, although I do love the e-pedal (test drove one).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Oh yes, I prefer the e-pedal driving method, pretty neat. I don't care for the electronic e-brake. I've already stomped hard on the floor looking for where the old one was.

I live in western washington, so I think I'm in about the most mild climate possible to deal with battery temps.

Yep, that location should work.

I'm in San Diego and work in LA, so the heat can be an issue.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Wibla posted:

SD/LA? You should think twice before picking a car that lacks active temperature management.

That’s why I bought up the thermal management issue.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BloodBag posted:

So, does the leaf not even have a little fan to blow on the battery like the gen 2 prius? Would that count as active thermal these days? The last 'E' car I had was an 06 prius.

Yes, they even added an extra fan on the 62kwh version.

Not that this will help much at 105ºF+.

Tesla has done some things wrong (the service, the bumpers) but they got battery thermal management right.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_naDg-guomA

Yep electric cars totally are not the way to go for long road trips. No being capable of doing them does not make them better than a gas vehicle for doing so.

A 340-mile range VW ID that charges at 125kw doesn't sound too bad.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Paying taxes for roads is good. If we're getting around paying for taxes in fuel, then it's totally fair to pay it some other way.

The Government spends billions to insure oil supplies and on the health consequences of automobile pollution not to mention climate mitigation.

They should give the EV owners $$$

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

HubNut tried the I Pace and was very impressed with the car but the charging facilities in the UK are just woeful. There are tons of places to charge, but when you get there they either don't work, charge slow as gently caress or randomly disconnect so you come back after a couple of hours thinking that the car has been charging only find out that it didn't and you are now hosed.
I wonder how much EV adoption has been hosed by the many different ways to charge / obtuse ways of paying / non-working chargers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fex5mvVFEU

Also: If you like old "lovely" British/European/Japanese cars and very low key videos about them HubNut is pretty chill to watch.

Here's how it is in Southern California.

1. Many shopping areas offer FREE CHARGING. Around me, there's a coffee shop, a grocery store etc. Check out the map: http://voltacharging.com

2. Ditto parking garages. 1/4th the office have EV's or Plug-In Hybrids and they can charge for free at the company's storage space.

3. Paid charging stations are abundant.

Me? I have the same Toy-Auto I paid $12.5k new in 2000. It gets close to 40mpg and it's still trouble free at 260,000+ miles (original clutch and all). So since the KBB is about $1000, I'll just have it as a backup for longer trips. Meanwhile, I don't even use a car during the week, it's mass transit and a folding bike.

Free Stations in LA

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is this an auto replace thing the forums are doing or are you typing this out every time?

My Echo is a very small car, so Toy-Auto is my affectionate term for the very best, lowest operating cost automobile I have ever owned.

I wish Toyota would just do a 64kwh all electric Prius. It's sad that they went down the FuelCell dead end.