Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

habeus, we shall engage tank buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
d'aww, it's an expired invite.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

or i'm a dumbdumb who forgot to log into discord.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Try this one:

https://discord.gg/prRzDJJ

e: Grey will still have to let you into the channel

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

I finally got CMFB up and running and crunched some numbers.

This plan is 95% Gnoman and Acebuckeye. I've just made a few minor tweaks and elaborations (giving the armored infantry three bazookas per platoon, squeezing in an extra M18, toying with experience levels etc.)

This concept does lose an older 76mm Sherman, but adds two more M18 tank destroyers (which have more effective APCR/HVAP ammo, anyways).

Feel free to tinker away with it or make suggestions!

Infantry
1x Armored Infantry Battalion(-)
deleted Operations Team
deleted 1st Platoon (Recon) from Headquarters Company
deleted 1st Platoon (Antitank) and their rather useless 57mm AT guns from each Armored Infantry Company
deleted C Company, kept B Company which didn't make it into the image
selected Bazooka M9A1, with 3x Bazooka per platoon
Mortars on-map

Total Firepower: 18x M9A1 Bazooka, 6x M1919A4 MMG, 6x 60mm mortars, 2x M1917 HMG, 3x 81mm mortars

2x Straggler Groups

Total Firepower: 4x MGs, 4x 60mm mortars

Armor and Recon
2x M36 tank destroyers set to "Veteran" skill, which will make them see and engage targets faster
4x M18 Hellcat tank destroyers
2x M4A3(76)W HVSS aka "Easy Eights" set to "Veteran" skill
2x M8 Greyhound [mid] set to +1 Leadership, which should improve the speed they relay spotted contacts to other units, obviously useful for a recon unit.

Artillery
3x Forward Observer teams set to "Veteran" skill, which will make them call in artillery faster
2x Medium Howitzer Batteries (4x 105mm howitzers each)
1x Armored Infantry Mortar Platoon (3x 81mm mortars)
3x TRP (Target Reference Point) a pre-registered point we can place on-map - aiming here or near here will make artillery get called-in faster

Total Firepower: 8x 105mm howitzers, 3x 81mm mortars

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 12, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That looks pretty good to me. I especially like having those Hellcats available as they're mobile (60 mph on the road!) and may be able to shoot and scoot.

Speaking of that, how mobile are our arty batteries? Are they self propelled or towed? With only two of them we're at risk to accurate/lucky counterbattery fire. And are they the 105mm or 155m types?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

habeasdorkus posted:

That looks pretty good to me. I especially like having those Hellcats available as they're mobile (60 mph on the road!) and may be able to shoot and scoot.

Speaking of that, how mobile are our arty batteries? Are they self propelled or towed? With only two of them we're at risk to accurate/lucky counterbattery fire. And are they the 105mm or 155m types?

In the list Baccaruda posted, they're a pair of off-map towed 105mm batteries. They're invulnerable to counter-battery fire, and come with a set number of rounds they can fire.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In the list Baccaruda posted, they're a pair of off-map towed 105mm batteries. They're invulnerable to counter-battery fire, and come with a set number of rounds they can fire.

Oh, that's great then! Heck, I feel like in the future more artillery might be the way to go if we can keep them offmap and essentially immune. My immersion is ruined, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Keeping in mind that the list Bac posted may not be the final composition that Gnoman goes with, anyone have any additional input on what list we'll be bringing?

Speaking personally, I'm good with the list that Bac posted. Missing out on the additional Sherman hurts a bit, but it can't be denied that the Germans will likely be bringing a fair amount of armor, and the Hellcats and M36 TDs offer the best chance at taking them out-both from the side, in the case of the Hellcats, and from the front in the case of the M36 TDs. I do wish there was some way we could squeeze in some heavier artillery or VT fuzes, but to be honest I'm not sure what we could cut to get there.

I can 100% guarantee that we're going to regret not bringing nothing but forward observers and 240mm artillery, however.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
24 hours for final lists please!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Updated list of Gnoman and you all to sign off on.

Gnoman and Acebuckeye wanted more artillery, especially the VT 105mm. So I too Gnoman's list and shuffled a few things. By doing that I was able to arrange things so we now have plenty of 105mm, and a good amount of 81mm mortars, along with more FOs and more TRPs so we can use all that ordnance more effectively.

NOTE: all units are set to Experience = Regular, Motivation = Normal, Fitness = Fit, Leadership = unless otherwise noted.

Infantry
1x Battalion (Armored Infantry)
deleted Operations Team
deleted 1st Platoon (Antitank) and their rather useless 57mm AT guns from each Armored Infantry Company
deleted C Company
Medium Mortars on-map

Total Firepower: 18x M9A1 Bazooka, 6x M1919A4 MMG, 6x 60mm mortars, 2x M1917 HMG, 3x 81mm mortars

1x Straggler Group
set Motivation to "Poor"
attached 1x M9A1 Bazooka team, with Motivation to "Poor"

Total Firepower: 1x Bazooka, 2x MGs, 2x 60mm mortars

1x Mortar Platoon -- from the Weapons Company of an Infantry Battalion
set Motivation to "Poor"
set Fitness to "Weakened"

Total Firepower: 6x 81mm mortars

Armor and Recon
2x M36 tank destroyers set to "Veteran" skill, which will make them see and engage targets faster
2x M4A3(76)W HVSS aka Easy Eights set to "Veteran" skill
2x M8 Greyhound [mid] set to +1 Leadership, which should improve the speed they relay spotted contacts to other units, obviously useful for a recon unit. *Note: these are on the "Mech Infantry" unit tab and can be found with the "Single Vehicles" on the dropdown menu.*

Artillery
4x Forward Observer teams set to "Veteran" skill, which will make them call in artillery faster
1x Medium Howitzer Battery (4x 105mm howitzers)
1x Medium Howitzer Battery (VT) (4x 105mm howitzers with VT airbursting shells for anti-personnel fire missions)
2x Mortar Section [medium] (2x 81mm mortars wach)
5x TRP (Target Reference Point) a pre-registered point we can place on-map - aiming here or near here will make artillery get called-in faster

Total Firepower: 8x 105mm howitzers, 4x 81mm mortars

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 12, 2018

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Looks good to me. That's a lot of AT weapons, should be fun.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Reposting for official submission:

Infantry
1x Battalion (Armored Infantry)
deleted Operations Team
deleted C Company
Medium Mortars on-map

1x Straggler Group
set Motivation to "Poor"
attached 1x M9A1 Bazooka team, with Motivation to "Poor"

Total Firepower: 1x Bazooka, 2x MGs, 2x 60mm mortars

1x Mortar Platoon -- from the Weapons Company of an Infantry Battalion
set Motivation to "Poor"
set Fitness to "Weakened"

Total Firepower: 6x 81mm mortars

Armor and Recon
2x M4A3(76)W HVSS aka Easy Eights set to "Veteran" skill
2x M8 Greyhound [mid] set to +1 Leadership, which should improve the speed they relay spotted contacts to other units, obviously useful for a recon unit. *Note: these are on the "Mech Infantry" unit tab and can be found with the "Single Vehicles" on the dropdown menu.*

Artillery
4x Forward Observer teams set to "Veteran" skill, which will make them call in artillery faster
1x Medium Howitzer Battery (4x 105mm howitzers)
1x Medium Howitzer Battery (VT) (4x 105mm howitzers with VT airbursting shells for anti-personnel fire missions)
2x Mortar Section [medium] (2x 81mm mortars wach)
5x TRP (Target Reference Point) a pre-registered point we can place on-map - aiming here or near here will make artillery get called-in faster

Total Firepower: 8x 105mm howitzers, 4x 81mm mortars

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Alright, with the list set, it's time to fill it out with commanders.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Looks like player numbers will be pretty close, but if there's any units left over after everyone's signed in, I'll take one on. Can I get into the allied discord as well?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

Looks like player numbers will be pretty close, but if there's any units left over after everyone's signed in, I'll take one on. Can I get into the allied discord as well?

Armored Infantry B company was left of the sheet at first, but with it there we should be easily good for platoon commands. Some "tank" commanders will have to be okay with driving TDs or armored cars, though.

e: In fact, with all the straggler sections, we have a plethora of platoons needing command.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's over 20 potential players if everyone comes over from the main thread including 1/2 of the fence sitters, so I'll wait a while to see. I'd certainly be happy to command stragglers or armored cars though!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Looks good to me. That's a lot of AT weapons, should be fun.

We based the list US combat experience in WWII as much as possible.

1) APCR (ie HVAP) ammo made American tanks and tank destroyers much more competitive with German armor. All our Easy Eights and Hellcats have two APCR rounds.

2) Ultimately, the bazooka is a much better antitank weapon than a 57mm AT gun. It's harder to detect and can be maneuvered to get flank shots. That's why we have nineteen M9A1 bazookas, the best bazookas used by the US Army in WWII. GIs loved the bazooka for a reason.

Armored Infantry Platoon Leaders (all six of you) will need to wisely use the bazooka each of your three squads has. Bazooka teams work best when split from the rest of the squad (10-20m away) - close enough to get help from their buddies if enemy infantry show up, but far enough away that they aren't in the middle of a big, easily-seen group of guys.

3) The biggest killer on the battlefield is mortars and artillery, not rifles. We have eight 105mm howitzer tubes (half with VT fuzes for infantry-shredding airbursts), thirteen 81mm mortar tubes, and eight 60mm mortar tubes.

Gnoman permitting, my plan is to use pre-planned H&I (harassment and interdiction) fires landing on Turn 5 to hit German troops moving out of their assembly area. Causing early casualties will weaken morale, slow their advance, and weaken their frontline fighting power. After that, I plan to use the FOs and TRPs to call in fire missions against German troop concentrations.

We are vulnerable to the same approach, of course, so being somewhat unpredictable in how we move and deploy could save us a lot of losses to German artillery.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If anyone wants I made a ton of unit banners:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've signed up for A Company of the Armored Rifle Battalion

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Claiming

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I may be creating my own custom banner at work tomorrow. Those in the discord know what it will be.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Signed up for B Company, 4th Platoon

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Signed up for B Company, 3rd Platoon

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OOB's are final.

Here it is, the big moment!

The map!

First up, apologies for the fact there is no snow. Apparently playing in Jan '45 removes that. The joys of looking at the map editor. I'll try and get a snow map in later.

Here is your deployment.

Here are your men ready to kick German rear end!

Please allocate units and tell me who you need from the main thread!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

EN AVANT, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is how placement looks at the moment:

Battalion Commander: Gnoman

XO: Bacarruda
??? Mortar platoon

A Company:
Gradenko_2000 (HQ)
Stairmaster (A2)
chitoryu12 (A3)
Remora ? (A4)

B Company:
Glynnenstein (HQ)
Hubis (B2)
Comrade Koba (B3)
TehKeen (B4)

Straggler Company(+) or maybe (-)/Battalion(-) I dunno man, we all just ran away from the tanks
HQ: Maybe Top Hats Monthly?
Str 1: Jaguars!
Str 2: Fray (Provisionally allocated)
Str 3: Pirate Radar (Provisionally allocated)
Str 4:
Str 5 (Mortar):

Armored:
HQ (2x76mm) Acebuckeye13
bunnyofdoom (2x M18)
Comstar (Provisionally allocated) (2x M36)
Habeusdorkus (2x M18)
??? M8

Pool:
Dance Officer (Advisor)
Fray (Infantry platoon - likely straggler unit)

So just at the moment looks like we'll need 1-3 infantry commanders, depending on whether we have people commanding the mortar units, which is generally a pretty boring job unless we're going to start direct firing them. We also need someone to drive the armoured cars.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 13, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m fine with my placement along the stragglers, since I make no promises about being any good at this.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m fine with my placement along the stragglers, since I make no promises about being any good at this.

What's more important than being good at the game is having a good-natured commitment to see the fate of your doomed soldiers through to the end instead of quitting if it starts to suck. Being good at the game kinda ruins the fun for observers, anyway.

:siren:
Grey, are we going to get access to passworded game saves in this one?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I am happy to take the M36's (if we don't get more people wanting to be a tank with a 90mm gun with a kill range of 4km(?)) and prove why the Tank Destroyer concept did not actually work in practice.

Is that a big straight river canal going through the middle? Or a road?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At first glance it looked like a canal, but now I see it runs over the stream. Road or railway? I have some thoughts about what my Hellcats can start doing once I'm back from work and can get on discord. Can someone tell me how large the map is?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

I am happy to take the M36's (if we don't get more people wanting to be a tank with a 90mm gun with a kill range of 4km(?)) and prove why the Tank Destroyer concept did not actually work in practice.

Is that a big straight river canal going through the middle? Or a road?

watch the video?

Its a road.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'll be on vacation next week, so I can't take command of a unit right now, but if you need people after the 28th, I can jump in.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Going to modify and use this one for Bravo Company.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'll take a Straggler platoon.

Seems like we need to recruit some more players overall.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tell me what you need and I'll source them from the spares.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Going by Jaguars' post, we lack:
- Two mortar platoons
-Armored car platoon
-A straggler platoon

Top Hats, please confirm if you're taking the straggler company CO.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
We could also take anyone who wants to drive an individual tank, just to help fill out the roster with active players.

BoxOfAids
Feb 22, 2013
Volunteering to drive things or be a shooty pixel man, put me wherever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Roster still need filling out? I'm in.