Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Grey Hunter posted:

I got the German orders laid in this morning, only took me 2 hours.

It'll go faster once they have fewer tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Both sides orders are in - this is always hard one as you need to sort the random mess into something usable. Now it should be just running the turns, but the kid woke just as I hit save after putting the orders in!

I'll try and run the turns as soon as I can, but it may be until tomorrow now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Teach the kid to input the orders :colbert:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

To be fair, he would probably do a better job....

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We need to start a deadpool. I'm saying one of the M18s, from a lucky shot at a range of about 1km.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for turns!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxj8gagz56ru5b0/LP%20Battle%201%20At2.bts?dl=0

Here is the turn! password Nuts!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 19, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's... a lot of halftracks.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Err, what program do I need to view the turn? I guess we arn't doing youtube video's anymore?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Comstar posted:

Err, what program do I need to view the turn? I guess we arn't doing youtube video's anymore?

click the big image :)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its on Youtube. Click the picture. The dropbox is the save for people with the game.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Do you have the version 3 or 4 engine, Grey? I can't get the save to load on engine 3. It stalls out at 25%.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Christ on a cracker

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Able Company, 3rd Platoon

Quick move to the upper edge of H2.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Important observations:

-The Germans decided to bring a Mechanized Infantry Battalion, it looks like, which is good for us-the additional mobility doesn't really help them that much on this map, and is helped to create a giant traffic jam which is delaying the deployment of their armor. On the other hand, if they decide to swing their thrust towards our southern flank, this could lead to Issues

-Speaking of their armor, it's hard to say for sure but my guess right now is that they've got 2 King Tigers, 2 Panthers (Maybe), and 1 Brummbar. Paradoxically, I think this may actually be a win for us-we can't really hurt the KTs, but they'll likely stand back and snipe, which means the Germans will have a reduced ability to support their infantry, and we can frustrate the KTs with smoke bombardments.

-Looks like there was a miscommunication and the infantry squads didn't get planted on my Shermans. This isn't the end of the world-I can move my Shermans to try and better cover the approaches to Cobru. But each and every one of our infantry commanders need to change their MOVE orders to QUICK in order to get to their positions. The Germans may have a hosed-up traffic jam now, but once they start getting their halftracks moving there's only so much my armor can do to delay them. The only way we can hold Cobru is to get boots on the ground, and hopefully before artillery starts dropping on their heads.

-Just wanna say I'm proud of my armor commanders, our tanks are already moving and some are even in position. I may dive into the game and make some suggestions about some specific unit placement (Just to make sure all the tanks that have been ordered to Grand Canyon Highway have shots), and I may order one of the Hellcats forward to help gently caress up their transports if I can find a position that's covered from the KTs, but you're all doing great thus far and it's because of you that we are going to win this battle :911:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

At present, there is no significant changes to orders. I want Able company in the town, Baker on the hill. Artillery is to investigate the possibility of shifting our planned fire to catch the traffic jam.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

We need to start a deadpool. I'm saying one of the M18s, from a lucky shot at a range of about 1km.

Is it too late to get in on this? Because that seems like a pretty solid guess.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Infantry should try to coordinate so they're not as bunched up, if possible.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

habeasdorkus posted:

Infantry should try to coordinate so they're not as bunched up, if possible.

That's the responsibility of the company commanders: Top Hats Monthly, gradenko_2000, and glynnenstein.

The best thing we can do now, is get all the infantry moving QUICK and get to the objectives as quickly as possible.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Well I'm an optimist, so Tiger II, soft kill (I.e. crew bails out), by M18, Range 1200m

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-The Germans decided to bring a Mechanized Infantry Battalion, it looks like, which is good for us-the additional mobility doesn't really help them that much on this map, and is helped to create a giant traffic jam which is delaying the deployment of their armor. On the other hand, if they decide to swing their thrust towards our southern flank, this could lead to Issues.

That many panzergrenadiers in that many halftracks is good news for us. Halftracks have machine guns, but they're open-topped and often don't have a gunshield, which means its really easy to kill the gunner.

Killing halftracks is an ideal job for our M8 Greyhounds, it'll free our tanks and TD up to hunt larger prey. I'd suggest we try to find some safe ambush positions for the M8s so they can attack the halftracks are they move further up.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Speaking of their armor, it's hard to say for sure but my guess right now is that they've got 2 King Tigers, 2 Panthers (Maybe), and 1 Brummbar. Paradoxically, I think this may actually be a win for us-we can't really hurt the KTs, but they'll likely stand back and snipe, which means the Germans will have a reduced ability to support their infantry, and we can frustrate the KTs with smoke bombardments.

It's too early to say, but it's possible that we will actually outnumber the Germans tank-for-tank. I kind of expected them to bring a dozen Panthers, but they've gone for a few big cats. That's great news for us.

We can put our tanks and tank destroyers in close-range ambushes. Then, make the Germans come to us.

And if we can kill off even half their tanks, we'll have a huge advantage going into the next mission.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Looks like there was a miscommunication and the infantry squads didn't get planted on my Shermans. This isn't the end of the world-I can move my Shermans to try and better cover the approaches to Cobru. But each and every one of our infantry commanders need to change their MOVE orders to QUICK in order to get to their positions. The Germans may have a hosed-up traffic jam now, but once they start getting their halftracks moving there's only so much my armor can do to delay them. The only way we can hold Cobru is to get boots on the ground, and hopefully before artillery starts dropping on their heads.

I'll be trying to adjust the fire mission so it falls along the southern road the Germans are using.

That traffic jam is gonna be spectacular. I think we may actually get to our town in force before the Germans do, ironically enough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Apparently one of the M36s somehow immobilized itself and ~I'm so mad~

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Baker Company Orders

Baker Company current and planned positions:

Status: Crowding between 3rd and 4th platoons but nothing much to be done for it (in practical terms, Grey Hunter probably can't micro this much cleaner given terrain and constraints). The company seems to be well concealed by the intervening trees at this time, so hopefully they can progress unmolested. No opposition are visible at this time. The men are moving smartly at QUICK pace, all units are at least READY or RESTED. (Except my XO team, who are tired. Must be smoking on the march.) Final positions will need to be tweaked (pulled back a bit) because spotting through the woods is somewhat doable and edge positions will be dangerous.

2nd Platoon: This is the disposition of your men.

All looks good. I will note that your mortar might have shots from the 2nd squad area that may not at their currently planned destination. You may consider upping their pace if you do decide on a more forward position.

3rd Platoon: This is the disposition of your men.

All looks good. Not much to do at this time but march forward.

4th Platoon: This is the disposition of your men.

All looks good. The inevitable confusion of war has you bunched up with 3rd, but there's not much to be done for it. Your final positions may be too far forward, but we should be able to tweak those soon; current paths are fine for the immediate term.

:siren:
Baker Company HQ: Continue orders
Baker Company XO Team: Continue orders

EDIT: if anyone wants screenshots or has questions, ask away and I'll do what I can.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 20, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is the position of the immobilized M36 at the far south edge:

This is the view from the vehicle as best I can recreate it:

Not ideal! But they can see some open ground at reasonable distance, so there's a chance for shooting. No active spots just at the turn end, though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

Baker Company Orders

Baker Company current and planned positions:

Status: Crowding between 3rd and 4th platoons but nothing much to be done for it (in practical terms, Grey Hunter probably can't micro this much cleaner given terrain and constraints). The company seems to be well concealed by the intervening trees at this time, so hopefully they can progress unmolested. No opposition are visible at this time. The men are moving smartly at QUICK pace, all units are at least READY or RESTED. (Except my XO team, who are tired. Must be smoking on the march.) Final positions will need to be tweaked (pulled back a bit) because spotting through the woods is somewhat doable and edge positions will be dangerous.

2nd Platoon: This is the disposition of your men.

All looks good. I will note that your mortar might have shots from the 2nd squad area that may not at their currently planned destination. You may consider upping their pace if you do decide on a more forward position.

EDIT: if anyone wants screenshots or has questions, ask away and I'll do what I can.

I'm not sure what the effective range is on the organic mortars, but I may consider moving them more towards the front. If they can't get direct LOS on anything they can hit from those trees I might as well push up.

If you get a chance, can you take a look and see what the LOS look like from the woods where they/first squad are headed? It seems worth hanging back if it seems like a good observation point, but otherwise I'll try to consolidate.

How much do we care about grabbing position east of the road? Petrified Forest seems like a decent bet, but I'd be spread thin.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hubis posted:

I'm not sure what the effective range is on the organic mortars, but I may consider moving them more towards the front. If they can't get direct LOS on anything they can hit from those trees I might as well push up.

If you get a chance, can you take a look and see what the LOS look like from the woods where they/first squad are headed? It seems worth hanging back if it seems like a good observation point, but otherwise I'll try to consolidate.

How much do we care about grabbing position east of the road? Petrified Forest seems like a decent bet, but I'd be spread thin.

Don't, that field is way too exposed and you'll get blasted by the KT or anything else they have on overwatch

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hubis posted:

This is the view from their currently commanded spot.

This is as far north as they can see, and it's just a spot on the long one. Reasonably wide views closer in.

The position your 2nd squad is heading to has this LOS and a little field of view that would be useful right about now, but maybe not later.

Petrified forest is actually a pretty great position, but it would be very isolated and unsupported. Maybe a good spot for an FO but we probably can't enforce much control out there and would lack security for units in those woods.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Boy that’s a lot of halftracks, and a lot of stuff that can see us, and a lot of us infantry all bunched up in one place...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well I’m furious. May I say I told you so?

I think the other m36 has multiple shots at the traffic jam. I hope I don’t have to as for “permission” to do some something about the road of death they have there. Someon call artillery please on them too.

Can the stick m36 move at all or can it act as an indirect Gun with are fire?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

if you are not changing your orders, please post "no change" to the google doc!

this saves me a wasted click.

Thanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Comstar posted:

Well I’m furious. May I say I told you so?

I think the other m36 has multiple shots at the traffic jam. I hope I don’t have to as for “permission” to do some something about the road of death they have there. Someon call artillery please on them too.

Can the stick m36 move at all or can it act as an indirect Gun with are fire?

A tank destroyer getting immobilized didn't happen once in the dozen times I ran a turn to see how long it would take the TDs to get to their positions. Speed and mobility is of the essence this mission, and it was a risk we had to take. Sometimes, bad luck happens-only thing we can do is move on with our remaining resources.

Bac's working on targeting the artillery.

The functional M36 has an important job to do, and that's locking down Grand Canyon Highway. We've got two M18s that are rushing to take similar positions, and HabeasDorkus is at liberty to decide whether he wants to push up his TDs to try and briefly engage the column. The problem, of course, is that by doing so, that puts them at risk of exposing themselves to fire from a King Tiger and a Panther at least. That's not a long-range engagement we can win, which is why I want your remaining M36 to hang back in a safe, unexposed overwatch position. Trying to get too greedy here could risk the whole operation-in the end, knocking out a few halftracks won't shift the course of the battle, but losing our remaining heavy anti-tank asset in a long-range gun duel may.

The immobilized M36 is stuck there for the rest of the game. The line of sight isn't awful, and it may yet be able to engage German forces attempting to work their way around the east. Unfortunately, indirect fire isn't possible.

Once I've got the save going, I'll try and get some more detailed estimates and maps out as to where our forces can best position themselves. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A little advice for the infantry commanders - don't panic just because you've seen the enemy. There's a strong impulse to up the speed but that means that by the time you reach the buildings, QUICK, FAST, SLOW and sometimes even HUNT movement aren't available until your troops get their breath back - this takes a lot of game turns.

By all means send a squad ahead to defend your objective, but make sure at least some troops get there fresh and able to manoeuvre even if your front troops are in contact.

If you have troops in the zergling ball, I suggest adding a lateral component to your advance to help spread things out.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I’m inclined not to change company level orders for stragglers—but I’m strongly encouraging platoon commanders to possibly up the speed to quick, I feel artillery will rain on us soon. Secondly, make sure to fan out, and thirdly, consider hiding if you think the enemy hasn’t spotted you, although they certainly probably have.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trying to get too greedy here could risk the whole operation-in the end, knocking out a few halftracks won't shift the course of the battle, but losing our remaining heavy anti-tank asset in a long-range gun duel may.

Coming to a stop, shooting some of half tracks to block their traffic jam even worse, THEN keep moving. Can any of their tanks see my sole moving M36, and if not, how many shots can I get off before I need to keep moving east to get behind the forest and face north to help lock down the highway? I'd like to shoot the the most forward one and force all their armour to go around the self made road block I can give them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

2nd Platoon, under Stairmaster

Continue advancing North-Northeast, according to Red designations. I am having you pass through Vicksburg / to the west of that swampy area, since I do not want you bunching up against everyone else

3rd Platoon, under chitoryu12

Continue advancing North-Northeast, between 2nd and 4th Platoon, according to Blue designations. Use QUICK movement, as we need boots inside that town ASAP.

4th Platoon, under Remora

Continue advancing North/North-Northeast, according to Green designations, on the right. Continue to avoid intruding on Natchez Trace.

Company HQ (direct orders for GH)

We will trail behind 2nd Platoon. Please set a destination 50 yards behind wherever 2nd Platoon is ordered to move to.

Commander's Intent

* We have been ordered to move to and secure Objective Cobru. We will be moving towards it directly

* I want you to be spread out, so that we don't all get nailed by a single artillery strike

* I have laid out which buildings I intend for the platoons to occupy. Prefer "inside" sites to outside ones, for defensiveness's sake, but not to the detriment of line-of-sight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In this situation, is it possible it’s better for the stragglers to stay at MOVE speed so that Able company can move up first and we get untangled and spread out a little more?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
For the sole remaining M36 that has mobility, if I stop, can I get a flank shot on the Panther if it keeps moving forward? Ie- can I stop it advancing?

Otherwise, I would plan on engaging the lead half track of the 4(?) I can see together. Then move up to but not on the highway.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 20, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Comstar, I was planning on using one of my Hellcats to try and mess with the traffic jam. I was going to use the other to act as support for your M36.

I'll be on discord later to work out our plan.

Grey, how long should we be expecting this interval to be before we can give new orders? Or do we not know?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what explodes.

No more than 5 mins though. I was going to play it by ear.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Intel report:

Armor:
Early on we saw two Tiger IIs, one near the front of the column and one near the back. One panther with the main column and of course the Brummbar, which is a kind of armoured assault mortar that can probably level a building in one go.

Less obvious was the units on the Yosemite Pike: A medium tank with tank riders and some kind of SPG. They're visible at about 1:58'33". Since Medium tanks often come as a unit, there may be another one or they may just have a pair of Panthers. The SPG is likely a loner.

At this stage the head of both columns will have reached roughly the corners of the roads.

Infantry:
Not much to panic about, we've seen 14 Halftracks total so figure about a reinforced company of mechanized troops so far. Whether there are more remains to be seen but they aren't likely to have more than us because their infantry has smaller squads, had to buy all the halftracks and German Infantry in general is more expensive than US AFAIK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Some general thoughts.

For us, there is some good news. In 3 minutes, 105mm VT shells will be falling on the exit to the southern road and the area due SW of it. At worst, this will delay and dismay the Germans. At best, it will kill some infantry and knock off some halftracks.

A German Panzergenadier platoon has three squads and a three-man HQ team mounted in four halftracks with MG42s.

For them, the Germans have chosen some of the weakest infantry on offer: panzergrenadiers in halftracks. They have several problems.

1) Lack of manpower, a Panzergrenadier squad only has 8 men dismounted (plus a driver and a gunner in the halftrack). A Panzergrenadier platoon only has 27 dismounts, plus 8 men driving and gunning the halftracks.

By contrast, our Armored Infantry squads have 11 men. An Armored Infantry platoon has 50 men (33 of them in its rifle squads, the rest in heavy weapons teams). Stragglers have 12 men per squad and 51 men per section/platoon.

2) Lack of dismounted firepower - The average panzergrenadier squad only has one MG42, 1-2 MP40 or StG44, 1-2 semi-auto rifles, and the rest with bolt-action rifles. The Germans will be relying on the MG42s on their halftracks to make a difference. Infantrymen, you can stop this. Use the TARGET command to directly target a halftrack with small arms fire. This will either kill the gunner or force him to button up. It may also shred tires and immobilize the vehicle.

By contrast, almost every one of our soldiers has a semi-auto rifle (M1 carbine or M1 Garand), along with one BAR per platoon. In short, our infantry probably outnumbers and outguns them.

Orders for Forwards Artillery and Observers

CANCEL the Turn 5 105mm mission falling on Noville - DO NOT CANCEL the 105mm (VT) mission landing on the road.

Overall Orders

Orders for Jeep

Order for FO team running down road

Orders for FO team riding in Jeep

Orders for FO team headed to Cobru - deploy as indicated.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 21, 2018