Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Able company

Looks to me like that scout group was taken out by a directly laid mortar (lots of explosions, very accurate, continued the whole turn), just goes to show that the area North of the assault route is not safe to move through.

Let's get our hustle on, I want the eastern bit of the target dominated by multiple squads within two turns. Opposition within the woods itself has been little to none, so you should be safe enough as long as you avoid the northern danger zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Current Positions:

Legend:
Red - 1st Platoon (Glynnstein)
Purple - HMG (habeasdorkus)
Lilac - Jeep CHARLIE HUSTLE (habeasdorkus)

Orders:
HMG team is to immediately DISMOUNT and MOVE FAST to beneath the tree on ROUTE PURPLE. They are then to DEPLOY, and SHOOT ANYTHING THEY HAVE LOS ON THAT THEY CAN PENETRATE. I don't know the order for that, I'll edit if someone can provide it to me.

Jeep CHARLIE HUSTLE is to WAIT 30 SECONDS, then MOVE FAST back down to Company HQ along ROUTE LILAC.

Glynnstein:

Looks like they're getting a little bit more ambitious in pushing from the north. If you can, pull back that scout along ROUTE RED to see if you can get them out of the line of fire, and do what you can to keep your intact squads in the red circle from eating fire. My HMG should be set up by the end of turn, which IIRC can shoot up halftracks.

Comstar:
I can't tell whether that's our mortars falling on the town or if that's Bac's smoke... but you've got your orders right. I'd ask you to modify them to move SLOW and HIDE if they're able to do that while medic-ing, I don't want you to pop up your head and get shot.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ALL ELEMENTS - MOVE as indicated by the blue line. Form up along the purple line, any detached elements will REJOIN their squads once positions have been reached. Once in position, all elements will FACE WEST and TARGET any enemy in sight.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SITREP

General Orders
Continue previous orders.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

ORDERS: HQ and 4th Platoon, 'Cat" Company, 3rd Battalion

Company Command

HQ Team: MOVE WSW towards the XO team. I would like you to stop and MEDIC the wounded soldier in the clearing 1 space to the XO team's SE.

XO Team: MOVE SSE to the clearing with wounded from 2nd Platoon. I would like for you to stop in one of the locations with wounded and attempt to MEDIC them.

4th Platoon

HQ Team: Hold position while you pick up passengers.

Support Team: Drive at MOVE speed as indicated.

MG Section HQ: MOVE through the woods and towards the stream as indicated.

1st MG Team + Ammo: MOVE as indicated towards the crossing point by 3rd Platoon

2nd MG Team + Ammo: MOVE as indicated, W out of the woods then NNE towards the crossing point between 1st and 3rd Platoons

Mortar Section HQ: MOVE to Platoon HQ's Jeep and EMBARK

1st/2nd/3rd Mortar Teams: MOVE as indicated, W out of the woods then NNE along the stream to 1st Platoon's Position

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SITREP

2nd Platoon (RED TEAM): Fatigue and Morale look good. Your scouts are TIRING, but that's fine for now.
3rd Platoon (WHITE TEAM): Fatigue and Morale look good. You are ready to move out. I need a commander for this Platoon.
4th Platoon (BLUE TEAM): Your squads are TIRING or TIRED. They should reach their rally point next turn.

General Orders

2nd Platoon
(@Brakeless)
1) Proceed with INCREASED pace and HEIGHTENED security to positions along the fenceline to the W of the woods
2) Provide scouting up to our armored support, using the hedges for cover
3) Set up a base of fire to suppress enemy infantry in Joshua Tree and support ABLE company where necessary
4) You should be on the edge of enemy line of sight, but they have some heavy guns out there so take care to stick to cover and minimize exposure time when on the move.

3rd Platoon
(YOUR NAME HERE)
1) Move up at INCREASED pace and LIGHT security to the fence line SE of 2nd Platoon's position
2) Hold position as a ready reserve to support 2nd Platoon if necessary
3) Otherwise, If an opportunity presents, prepare to move W through Petrified Forest and reinforce ABLE Company's advance

4th Platoon
(@Yooper)
1) Move W at RELAXED pace and LIGHT security to positions W of Joshua Tree
2) Rest once in position until further orders
3) Prepare to push WNW to reinforce ABLE Company if necessary

Hubis
May 18, 2003

ORDERS: Company HQ, 'Crazy Charlie' Company, 1st Battalion

HQ Team: MOVE NW to the abandoned enemy foxholes on the SE side of Joshua Tree

Hubis
May 18, 2003

ORDERS: 3rd Platoon, 'CRAZY' Charlie Company, 1st Battalion

All Squads: MOVE as indicated.

Notes:
- It's the Mortar+Ammo team that's MOVEing the whole way to the NE position
- 3rd Squad should end up on the NW hedgerow and 4th Squad/B Team should end up behind the one to their E

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Mortar team shell the hedgerow north of the field boundary, marked by the targeting range numbers. Everyone else recombine into your squads and sit around the campfire with the unit XO trying to unrattle yourselves. If you are a team that no longer has a squad, congratulations, you are a squad.

I've also discussed with Hubis and I'll be taking up 3rd Plt. Charlie 1st Bn. but since his movement orders are both perfect and quite a lot better than I can produce with paint.net and squinting, continue to follow them.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 30, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Platoon is to MOVE to the west. There looks be an abandoned set of foxholes just inside the woodline. I'd like the MG team to head there, everyone else to spread out south of that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

2nd Squad

No change in orders

[HQ] 3rd Squad

No change in orders

4th Squad

QUICK movement into the woods

MMG1

No change in orders

MMG2

No change in orders

5th Squad/60mm Mortar

No change in orders

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

:siren: 1st & 2nd Platoon, D Company Orders :siren:

1st Platoon HQ: FAST per the image above

2nd Squad / C Team: TARGET ARMOR ARC 175m circle, QUICK per the image above

3rd Squad / A Team: CANCEL TARGET

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
3rd Platoon, A Company

2nd (Orange) rifle squad

2 (a) QUICK SOUTH EAST along orange line

3rd (Yellow) rifle squad

3 (a) QUICK SOUTH EAST way point 1, MOVE SOUTH EAST way point 2 yellow line MERGE at end of movement

3 (b) QUICK SOUTH EAST way point 1, MOVE SOUTH EAST way point 2 yellow line MERGE at end of movement

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 1, 2018

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1 Squad: HQ team AREA TARGET the farmhouse, western end of it if possible. B team to FAST move over to rejoin the HQ.

Mortar squad, Ammo Bearers: I'm not sure of the state of the mortar squad, but they shouldn't be pinned, suppressed or panicked, so if they're able to take an order, QUICK move to where that HMG is. Ammo squad QUICK.

MG 4B AREA TARGET the foxholes in these fields:

@Baker company:
The position 1B's just leaving has good sightlines to the south farmhouse, it's a decent place to locate a squad.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2018

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Move 2nd Squad / B Team (Scout) quick as indicated

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Move quick as indicated:

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Posting again for this turn.

2nd plt, A coy, Armored Rifle Battalion

HQ squad - Pause for 30 s, quick to purple line.
2nd squad - Scout team quick along the red arrow, rest of squad quick to red line.
3rd squad - Pause for 30 s, quick to blue line.
Southern MMG team area fire the black circle.
Deploy the mortar.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

2nd plt, C coy, Armored Rifle Battalion

HQ squad - Quick to purple line.
2nd squad - Scout team move to the red diamond, rest of squad quick to red line.
3rd squad - Scout team move to the blue diamond, rest of squad quick to blue line.
4th squad - Both MMG teams quick to the nearest black diamond.
5th squad - Quick to orange diamond.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Both northern Shermans HUNT forward to the road.

ATG ammo bearer TARGET where that goddamn scout team that keeps plinking at the Anti-Tank gun is. (Brakeless if you could could you please get one of your squads to directly target that guy 'cause he's a real pain in the rear end)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs80595k00tdocr/Goon%20Battle%203%20AT23.bts?dl=0

46 Hours for orders!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Able Company:

Well done all, we've gained a foothold in the woods and soon the Germans won't be able to use it to see into our back lines. Not only that, we got there fast enough that we can exploit our success and gain some difficult ground before they have time to react!

Map

I've requested some closeups showing Gradenko and Chillyrabbit's platoons separately, use them for orders if they come through in time.

Brakeless: Give one more turn of woods suppression and then you are released to concentrate on your clearance task.

Gradenko: Bring rifle troops to the blue line and prepare to clear the rest of the woods to the west. There were known enemy in this area so gather about 10 men in two or three teams. Your suppression fire stops in one turn, so the sooner you're formed up the better. Bring an MG team in behind them for use once the woods has been cleared. Bring the rest of your platoon close, but leave the interior of the woods for Chillyrabbit, who will:

Chillyrabbit: Move as many troops as possible into the woods. Spread out several units onto the yellow line, including at least ten men in the creekbed at the far end of the forest. Deploy the rest spread out through the part of the forest we own. Once we have that done we'll attempt a crossing into Joshua Tree. Use QUICK and FAST commands, I want this done as soon as possible!

Remember to avoid moving through the tank danger zone from my previous orders, it's proven dangerous already.

Actions to be taken upon:

Resistance in the woods:
Halt the team that is attacked and suppress the area. Get another team round the side of the enemy within grenade range, target the area, then assault the position.

Panzer attack:
Hopefully the tanks are too busy to worry about us, but if it does happen we forget about further progress and try and get our troops behind whatever concealment they can find.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 2, 2018

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Chillyrabbit:

Gradenko:

Cheers pthighs, who's helped me out with a heap of images over the last week or two :tipshat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

2nd Squad Scouts

Rest / Stand Down / Hide

2nd Squad

QUICK movement to the point indicated

[HQ] 3rd Squad

MOVE movement to the point indicated

4th Squad

Rest / Stand Down / Hide

MMG1

MMG2

No change in orders

5th Squad/60mm Mortar

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

SQUADS 1-3: TARGET the enemy infantry contact indicated on the map, if possible. Otherwise keep moving as per previous orders. Other elements will keep moving.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
3rd Platoon, A Company

1st (RED) HQ squad QUICK to end of waypoint line

2nd (Orange) rifle squad

2 (a) QUICK to end of waypoint 1 FACE North

2 (b) QUICK to end of waypoint 2 FACE North

3rd (Green) rifle squad

3 (a) QUICK to waypoint 1 FACE North
3 (b) QUICK to waypoint 2 FACE North

4th (BLUE) MMG

4(a) QUICK to waypoint 1 FACE North DEPLOY

4(b) QUICK to waypoint 2 FACE North west DEPLOY

5th (Pink) Mortars QUICK to end of waypoint

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 4, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

How the sodding hell did they get there?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

2nd plt, A coy, Armored Rifle Battalion

HQ, 2nd and 3rd squads - Hunt along the black lines.
MMG team circled in red - cancel area fire.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1 Bn HMG section

HUNT not more than 25m NW. Set them to deploy their gun.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FrangibleCover posted:

How the sodding hell did they get there?

No idea. Maybe some lone survivor who’s been hiding until now?

Either that or we’re facing experimental nazi stealth field technology.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

god I'm tired of this game.

bunny: Your jumbo is still firing into a bush, even though you ordered it to stop, because of course it is.

Gnoman: Get your surviving tank to pop smoke and pull back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Both tanks are to reverse back, hopefully out of sight of the KT.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apologies for the non workable orders, it was a misconception caused by incorrect information on the Combat Mission Wikia page.

So if I've got it right 2 squad and 2C can now merge. 3 Squad to move FAST about 20m, mortar team as shown.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Orders for my surviving tank (can't do pictures right now)

POP SMOKE

REVERSE IN A STRAIGHT LINE AT MAXIMUM POSSIBLE SPEED

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/piqt6egjc2tnq3p/Goon%20Battle%203%20AT24.bts?dl=0

46 Hours for orders!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Video unavailable again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well the video is broken but it's clear from the screenshot that the second Sherman up north is dead.

Two Sherman 76s, killed by a StuG.

I don't even know what to say.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Can anyone think of anything productive that 1/B can do? I'm totally out of ideas. I can probably get some lads forward into that treeline that's covered by indirect fire and tanks but I don't think that's going to achieve anything except their deaths.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well the video is broken but it's clear from the screenshot that the second Sherman up north is dead.

Two Sherman 76s, killed by a StuG.

I don't even know what to say.

Don't worry, we're getting whooped so hard we'll get all of our Shermans back for the next go around while also getting extra tanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

try it now!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks!

Able Company

You're doing well. Nothing new from me, refine your orders if possible. Chillyrabbit, your main task after your current moves will be to cross into the Joshua tree woods. You'll have about 5 minutes to do this, so take this opportunity to plan ahead. Infantry opposition is expected to be light, but mortar fire remains a possibility.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
3rd platoon D company to D company command: Pinned down.. german counter attack inbound my position.....will try and hold...ZGAGHHAHGZHGZH.