Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Reading beyond this point if you are not on this side or an observer is considered cheating. Cheaters are not nice people.

quote:

Hello Commanders.

You have been given command of the 101st Goon Division. The germans have struck hard and you are having to throw together anything you can find. You have been ordered to move forward and slow the German advance - the area ahead of you has been left empty by troops retreating, and we need you to plug the hole!

Here are your force construction rules.

1 - 25% of your force must be made up of “straggler” units - these are men you have pull together off the retreating forces. They can not be above regular experience or poor morale.
2 - Tanks are limited, only 25% of your points may be spent on tanks.
3 - Your men have not been reinforcing the area much - you are not allowed to buy bunkers, trenches or minefields. A small amount of barbed wire and fox holes are allowed - Your final map will have a redoubt, if it comes to it.
4 - NO air cover is available. Once the weather breaks we will try and flood the area with close air support.
5 - Your reinforcements will be coming, if you can hold or push back the enemy, we will be able to harden up your unit and begin to supply better units, failure to hold will mean you will have to make do with more straggler units.
6 - Bogged and abandoned units will only be reclaimed if you hold the field.
7 - You may call for a ceasefire at any time, if both sides agree, we will continue on this map in another battle.

Good luck Commanders.

My son has randomly picked Gnoman (via holding up to random objects and asking him to pick one.) as company commander. He will pick the forces but the rest of you can advise.

Here are your points total - when I did your screenshots, I didn’t realize I still had it set to medium battle.

OOB's are final.

Here it is, the big moment!

The map!

First up, apologies for the fact there is no snow. Apparently playing in Jan '45 removes that. The joys of looking at the map editor. I'll try and get a snow map in later.

Here is your deployment.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Allied Command

Battalion Commander
Gnoman

Company Commander
Gradenko_2000
Glynnenstein
Bacarruda

Platoon Commander
Comrade Koba
Pirate Radar
TehKeen
Stairmaster
Hubis
Remora
Acebuckeye13
chitoryu12

Tank Commander
Comstar
bunnyofdoom
Acebuckeye13
Habeusdorkus.
also

Top Hats Monthly

The first engagement will bee a meeting engagement. - so foxholes will be of little use - that bit was more for subsequent battles. [/b]

Sorry, I wrote this with the kid up, so its amazing it even got written!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 10, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

At least it wasn't sensitive info!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

What counts as a tank for this purpose? Anything with treads and guns?

Anything that runs just on treads - so tanks, Tank killers and self propelled guns.

EDIT!

I feel I should tell you that you will be up against it a bit here, your starting rules are harsher than the Germans, but they will get poorer quailty reinforcements, so you will see a shift after this battle.

So if you feel like things are stacked against you, they are, but know every valuable machine you destroy here will probibly never be seen again!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 10, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Grey, when do we get the map?

After you've picked your forces.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'd say just the main points.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

24 hours for final lists please!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OOB's are final.

Here it is, the big moment!

The map!

First up, apologies for the fact there is no snow. Apparently playing in Jan '45 removes that. The joys of looking at the map editor. I'll try and get a snow map in later.

Here is your deployment.

Here are your men ready to kick German rear end!

Please allocate units and tell me who you need from the main thread!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Comstar posted:

I am happy to take the M36's (if we don't get more people wanting to be a tank with a 90mm gun with a kill range of 4km(?)) and prove why the Tank Destroyer concept did not actually work in practice.

Is that a big straight river canal going through the middle? Or a road?

watch the video?

Its a road.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tell me what you need and I'll source them from the spares.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I can ask for a few more tankers, but how are you doing on numbers? I want to move on to deployment and orders soon!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Main thread is now closed to players.

Please begin your deployment and orders - the first phase will be five turns, unless major contact is made.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Please link orders to this sheet.

This saves me a lot of sorting around. Thanks!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I was thinking sat morning my time. So a bit under 48 hours.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Which idiot forgot to post this? I'll have thier heads….

Combat Mission Boot Camp

Many of you may well be veterans, but some of you have only just arrived on the Western front, so may well need some help in knowing what’s going on - this is how to issue orders in the game.

This is the golden rule.

Clear orders are good orders.

I’m going to be inputting somewhere in the region of thirty to fifty orders for up to two hundred individual units. A Turn.  If your order is not 100% crystal clear, I’m not going to put the LP on hold, it’s going to go unde fog of war where I make the best judgement of what I think you want me to do.

This means there will be at least one order I get wrong. I will not apologize for this, it’s part of the game now. Roll with it and learn to be clearer next time.

The other thing to remember is that all of your units have their own AI - so even though you’ve told them to run through that minefield, over the barbed wire and to ignore the heavy machine gun opening up on them all the way, they may decide to ignore your orders and stay in their nice safe shell crater. Please don’t blame me for this.

The AI is also notoriously flaky. So may just ignore your orders occasionally - this tends to happen once or twice when we do this. I once had a tank ignore my orders to reverse behind a building and instead it reversed in the other direction into a river where it bogged down and was blown up in the same minute turn.

Now that’s over with, here is something more useful.

The manual is available here. - it has some nice walkthroughs to help you understand whats going on.

These are the icons you will be seeing on the map, US on the left, German on the right.  Learn these, mistaking a heavy tank as a self propelled gun is a mistake you will learn to regret.

The other thing to remember is that all of your units have their own AI - so even though you’ve told them to run through that minefield, over the barbed wire and to ignore the heavy machine gun opening up on them all the way, they may decide to ignore your orders and stay in their nice safe shell crater. Please don’t blame me for this.

The AI is also notoriously flaky. So may just ignore your orders occasionally - this tends to happen once or twice when we do this.

Reading Datacards.

Here is some small German Tank. A Tiger II, you might not of heard about it. The left side shows the crew status, then we have some basic stats, green is good. Ammo and damage, then defences.

The blue dots indicate crew, the grey passengers, they will turn green once people start joyriding around on the back.

And here’s what the defences means.

Here is the infantry version

1- Shows unit name, experiance, morale and ammo levels, as well as its commuication lines.

2 - This is a count of the special equipment a squad has.

3 - Shows the men and their weapons, they will get marked off as you get them killed. Keeping men place will allow first aid to be performed, which may well be useful in the campaign!

4 - 6 are interfaces, and don’t worry you. They are my job.

Move orders.

Most of these are fairly self explanatory - faster movement means less time to be shot at, but tires your men out - slow is the trap here, as it means crawling through the dirt on all fours - great for not being shot, but is actually the most tiring movement mode in the game!

Move orders are done by waypoints, so you can plot a good number of moves in advance if you want - pauses can be issued at any waypoint and go in five second increments.

Hunt is mainly for tanks, and is basically move until you make contact, then fire.

Assault is for infantry, and causes one half the unit to put down covering fire while the other half leapfrogs forwards to assault your target.

Fire orders.

Again, fairly simple, Arc fire is another trap for the newer players, as it actually massively restricts your fire arc and range - it should only be used for ambushes or when you don’t want your troops giving away their location by firing at something a kilometer away.

Area fire allows for firing at a location you suspect has a target, but cannot spot.

Special Orders

Deploy means set up a crew served weapon.

Blast - blow a hole in a wall or side of a building to create an access point.

Mount/Dismount - ride around in Trucks, Halftracks and on the back of tanks - pick a Konigstiger and ride 16 men around on it! That’s a real mans Mechanised Infantry!  

Unit splitting options. So you don’t have to get your entire squad killed!

Fire support

Artillery is the king of war. You may well want some.

Any commander can order artillery, but Forward Observers are much quicker at getting the strike laid in.

Target - Point is around a single point, Area allows you to draw a circle, and line is a line of barrage - you must be able to see both the start and end points for area and line, so this may limit your ability to call it in.

Guns - how many of the guns you want to commit - more does more damage, but used more ammo.

Mission - how heavy a bombardment you want - harras to keep their heads down and heavy to light the target up, with medium and light in between - there is also emergency, which is called in quicker, but less accurate.  Finally you can lay down smoke, so nobody can see your disgrace.

Effect is anti-infantry or general,

Duration and Delay are self explanatory, with Delivery how long until the guns start firing - this can be a long time!

Air support can be called in in the same way.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I got the German orders laid in this morning, only took me 2 hours.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Both sides orders are in - this is always hard one as you need to sort the random mess into something usable. Now it should be just running the turns, but the kid woke just as I hit save after putting the orders in!

I'll try and run the turns as soon as I can, but it may be until tomorrow now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

To be fair, he would probably do a better job....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for turns!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxj8gagz56ru5b0/LP%20Battle%201%20At2.bts?dl=0

Here is the turn! password Nuts!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 19, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

if you are not changing your orders, please post "no change" to the google doc!

this saves me a wasted click.

Thanks.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what explodes.

No more than 5 mins though. I was going to play it by ear.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are final!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for turns!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfi07h3yuj7n2vf/LP%20Battle%201%20AT4.bts?dl=0

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

19 hours for orders!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders final!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for turns!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0o3kdr9zjvnfid/LP%20Battle%201%20At6.bts?dl=0

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://youtu.be/t86w5w0iTS4

I moron.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It is to late for the pebbles to give orders

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

48 hours for turns!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h9mn72c9f362ha/LP%20Battle%201%20AT8.bts?dl=0

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

orders are final!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf8w1bankgkszmx/LP%20Battle%201%20At10.bts?dl=0

48 hours for turns!

Rule Update.
commanders may declare the following at any point in the game.

Ceasefire. The other side will be notified that you are wishing to end the fighting for now. If both sides agree, the next battle will be fought on the same map, but with reinforcements and deployment zones based off ground held.
Retreat Immediately break contact and end the battle. the enemy will advance to your next map, and become the attacker.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are final!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73i0rutvkbx5jkl/LP%20Battle%20AT12.bts?dl=0

48 hours for turns!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Orders are Final!
Special dispensation for Acebuckeye

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 2, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zpersfobo021op/LP%20Battle%20AT14.bts?dl=0

46 hours for turns!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have been informed it is is a holiday in the US, so another 24 hours for orders.

Apparently some of you think "family" is more important than defeating a group of strangers on the internet!
Weirdos.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Do people want another 24 hour order extension?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

24 hour extension

Also, if I judge little is happening at any point, I may run more than 2 turns in a go.

This is just a general rule update as opposed to anything specific, so please don't read to much into it!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm trying to balance things out,but the lack of volume options in the game make it bloody hard. I'm at +8db and the game at -30. I'll crank it down Abit more though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

https://www.dropbox.com/s/za7z4xk2a65ciwb/LP%20Battle%20AT16.bts?dl=0

46 hours for turns!