Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'll take a Straggler platoon.

Seems like we need to recruit some more players overall.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Going by Jaguars' post, we lack:
- Two mortar platoons
-Armored car platoon
-A straggler platoon

Top Hats, please confirm if you're taking the straggler company CO.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We agreed on Discord to post some primers for new people. Here's an intro to infantry in combat mission, especially American formations.

In addition to reading this, you should really play the training mission of the Final Blitzkrieg demo.

So you're an infantry commander! We may not be as glamorous as the tread jockies, but we make up the bulk of the force. To start off, the American armored rifle platoon includes:

3x Rifle Squad.
1x Deployable medium machine gun squad (2 machine guns)
1x Deployable 60mm mortar

A typical rifle squad looks like this:

As you can see, it's mostly Garand rifles with a BAR and a M9A1 bazooka. One of your three squads will be your HQ squad which carries a marksman in place of the BAR. The first thing to note about American infantry is that they're big and beefy. You have 11 men to a squad, compared to 9 man German squads. Armored rifle formations carry fewer BARs and no Thompsons compared to normal American infantry, but the Garand is still very preferable to the bolt-actions than most German infantry carry. Your main advantage as Americans, though, comes from your organic heavy weapons. Two medium machine guns and a 60mm mortar accompany every platoon which is a lot of supporting firepower. Your success largely depends on using them well. Remember that you must issue the Deploy command to your heavy weapons to place them in a fighting position.

Use the mortar to destroy key enemy units such as machine guns or antitank guns. Although mortars can fire indirectly via a spotter, small platoon mortars are much more effective in direct fire against fairly stationary targets. Use Hide on the mortar to save your rounds until you get a suitable target.

Splitting
Squads can be split into teams, and this is usually a good idea when contact is expected. Your squad will split into three teams: An A Team of rifles, a B Team of rifles and the BAR, and a C Team of rifles and the bazooka. You can also merely split off an "anti-tank team" of a rifleman and the bazooka, or a "scout team" of two rifles. If you split you squad into the three teams, you may not further split off these specialty teams. Teams will recombine if they are left in the same spot.

Your antitank weapons
Typically you'll have one bazooka per platoon, but in this scenario we've bought one for every squad. This is your workhorse when facing enemy armor. However, the bazooka is not an offensive weapon. You do not assault enemy armor with it. Your effective range is a paltry 175m, which ensures that if that Panzer can see you coming, you will die long before you get your shot off. Remember: The bazooka is mainly a tool for holding a position against armor, especially in ambush, and especially in rough terrain where enemy armor can't simply destroy you from a distance. When defending, position yourself such that enemy armor is forced to come close.

You also have a few rifle grenades which can serve in a pinch, although they don't pack much punch. And if all else fails, you can toss regular grenades on vehicles that have foolishly closed to point blank range.

Your Job as an Infantry Platoon
First, infantry exist to hold ground. You shine when defending from fixed positions. Putting infantry on a spot is the strongest way to say "We own this." With solid cover, the enemy will have to commit disproportionate forces and spend precious time digging you out. If enemy armor is a threat, choose terrain with short sightlines and Hide to prevent the enemy from spotting you prematurely. A strong defensive position uses riflemen to fill the front with machine guns and mortars deployed behind in overwatch positions. Machine guns are your tool for commanding key lines of sight, suppressing enemy movement, and gaining fire superiority.

Secondly, infantry support armor on the attack. The "canonical" way to advance in Combat Mission involves infantry screens in advance of and to the sides of the armor. You advance carefully, sweeping difficult terrain for enemy infantry or antitank guns that could threaten the tanks. The armor keeps a respectful distance overwatching the advance, ready to swiftly destroy anything that pops up to engage you. Your heavy weapons, too, are deployed in a base of fire position, ready to engage and suppress emergent threats. Ideally your squads advance in leapfrog fashion, although this is often hard to execute in our LP format.

The Rules of Infantry Club
1. You're much better at holding ground than taking it from the enemy.
2. Attack with armor, or lots of artillery, or not at all.
3. Stick to short sight lines and concealment when threatened by armor. If they spot you from a distance, you're probably dead.
4. Always have a base of fire.
5. You are much more powerful in an established fighting position than on the move.
6. Always be in cover or be moving decisively to cover.
7. Stay concealed whenever it's not necessary to reveal yourself.

On Giving Orders in this LP
Perhaps surprisingly, infantry platoons are the most complicated command position in this LP format. You have more individual units to control than anyone else, especially when you start splitting squads. You need to know the different in-game movement modes, understand when they are appropriate, and include them in your orders. Obstructions in LOS are your best protection from swift fiery death, so fine details of positioning are important. You need to remember to deploy or pack up your heavy weapons, and always be conscious of your base of fire. In short, expect to put more time into your orders post than anyone else, even the battalion commander. You need a map for almost every post, with movement lines and destinations for each unit. Always specify movement modes and facing direction. Don't leave the details up to Grey because he doesn't have time for it!

Fray fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The post you link on the orders spreadsheet needs to contain all the info necessary for Grey to know what you want. Don't expect him go look up our team resources or other players' orders, cause he probably won't bother and will instead just give it his best guess. Orders for individual units almost always need a map with destinations marked.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 15, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - Straggler Company, 3rd Platoon

The straggler company HMG teams are assigned to me.

Deploy in the black box as shown. I'm not picky on formation, just have the squads about spaced about 25m abreast with the heavy weapons and HQ about 20m behind. SPLIT all squads. MOVE per the black line and QUICK per the yellow line.

Upon reaching end of the yellow line, disperse into buildings. See map below with legend.

1. HMG Team 1 and HQ on third floor and DEPLOY. Squad 1, Team A on second floor. Team C on first floor. All FACE NE.

2. HMG Team 2 on second floor, DEPLOY. Squad 4, Team C on first floor. Squad 4, Team B on first floor of adjoinint building. All FACE north down the street.

3. Squad 2, Team A on second floor. Teams B and C on first floor.

4. Squad 1, Team A on second floor. Teams B and C on first floor.

5. Squad 1, Team B on first floor. FACE north.

6. Squad 3, Team A on second floor. Teams B and C on first floor.

All units Hide at end of orders.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 16, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Comstar posted:

We're moving on snow covered ground chief? Over a creek? I recall from previous games that tanks getting bogged is a thing.

Anyways, I'll have to post updated orders tomorrow.

There's no snow and this is a creek, not a river like in the other cases.

Ed: And Koba, be aware that sprinting your guys that far is going to leave them exhausted. I'd recommend using QUICK instead.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 16, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Slight modification to previous orders: Increase pace to QUICK. Then use the updated deployment in Cobru.

1. HQ Squad and HMG Team 1 in indicated buildings. HMG and Squad leader in 3rd and 2nd floors of the 3-floor building, respectively. FACE northeast.

Squad 2 fan out into buildings marked Blue. FACE north.

Squad 3 fan out into buildings marked Red. FACE east.

Squad 4 fan out into buildings marked Yellow. FACE north. HMG Team 2 and Team C go in the eastmost house to look north down the street.

DEPLOY HMGs. All units Hide at end of orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Continue previous orders, reducing speed to MOVE after one minute.

Contingency: If any enemy fire missions start landing on Cobru, stop and do not enter Cobru. If I'm already in Cobru, FAST into the nearest buildings.

Fray posted:

Slight modification to previous orders: Increase pace to QUICK. Then use the updated deployment in Cobru.

1. HQ Squad and HMG Team 1 in indicated buildings. HMG and Squad leader in 3rd and 2nd floors of the 3-floor building, respectively. FACE northeast.

Squad 2 fan out into buildings marked Blue. FACE north.

Squad 3 fan out into buildings marked Red. FACE east.

Squad 4 fan out into buildings marked Yellow. FACE north. HMG Team 2 and Team C go in the eastmost house to look north down the street.

DEPLOY HMGs. All units Hide at end of orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty sure there are smoke shells going off around the TDs, you can see it in the birdseye shot. I expect the Germans will chill for a minute or two while the smoke develops, then move across the highway. Tanks will move onto the road facing south to pop us if we're still there when the smoke clears.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Based on how fast the response time for that smoke was, they're almost certainly using on-map mortars in direct fire. Using the enemy spotting round to the SW of our TDs, we can extrapolate the firing location:

I'm guessing they deployed in that copse. Counterbattery mission, anyone?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Have we successfully relearned the lesson that fighting big cats head-on is a bad idea?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think we can say what the Germans have looking down the highway right now. It's been about 90 seconds since the Hellcat got popped, and we haven't had vision into town since then.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Our remaining option for killing enemy tanks is to pray they get really, really dumb with them and repeatedly drive into bazooka ambushes.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

My orders post will be up today, but someone please take Baker 2nd platoon. I'd rather not wear two hats.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

BAKER COMPANY ORDERS

Platoon sectors and company HQ are as shown:

Standing Orders
-All squads are split at all times.
-Until further notice, keep everything on a 200m, 360 degree target arc. I don't want us revealing ourselves until hostiles are close. This will get rescinded once we're in significant contact.
-Deploy heavy weapons in protected spots with good LOS, especially where they can support Able company.

Company HQ
Deploy in the indicated building. HQ team on 2nd floor, support team on 1st floor. FACE north. Apply 200m, 360 degree target arc to each.

2nd Platoon
You mission is to provide flank security and protect whatever vehicles or AT guns are deployed in the woods. Position bazookas to fire into the gap between you and 4th platoon. If no eastern threats appear after a while, I'm going to redeploy you into the town.

3rd Platoon
Deploy in buildings to face threats from the north and west. Prepare to support Able with MG and bazooka fire. You have two foxholes for bazooka teams.

4rd Platoon
Deploy in buildings to face threats from the north and NE. Be prepared for enemy armor attacks through Corinth circle, and to support Able if there is a direct attack on the town. You have two foxholes for bazooka teams.

Ed: More foxholes!

Fray fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 18, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

2nd Stragglers & 2nd Platoon B Co

2nd Stragglers orders
Take up positions depicted in RED, squads 1/2/3/4 clockwise from top, HQ squad on the square.

2nd Platoon, B Co
SPLIT ANTITANK. Armored rifles less antitank go to A, MMG goes to MG, the bazookas from the armored rifles go to B, and the mortar goes to M. All face west.

You have six foxholes as well, so make sure to assign them.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Battalion-approved disbursement of foxholes:

21 for Killroy (as counted in Hubis' existing orders)
4 for AT guns (Bacarruda)
6 for HMGs or mortars (Bacarruda)
15 for Able company (5 per platoon)
4 for Baker company

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

It does appear the creek is a major infantry route for them. At the rate they're advancing I think they'll be largely past the prefire mission before it starts, but we could adjust it to the TRP a little south and probably be right on the money.

Western line prefire looks good so long as the Germans don't stay pinned and push forward into it. Eastern prefires and air missions look like they can be canceled.

I think I'll redeploy my eastern platoon (2nd) into town.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Co

2nd Platoon displace and redeploy to the town. Sectors are adjusted for them as shown.

Make whatever adjustments you all deem necessary to prepare fir attacks from the west and north.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We’re getting jobbed every way possible on the Shermans, but it looks like we guessed well with our TRPs and prefires. Hopefully we thin out their infantry a lot so the Germans have to start taking risks with their armor to give up bazooka, mine and AT gun kills.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Company Orders

2nd Platoon continue your redeployment. Everyone else make adjustments as you see fit. I want you to prepare for armored attacks in particular, since it appears we're attriting the enemy infantry pretty well.

General guidelines!
-Try to stay concealed until close contact. Highly recommend placing some short 360-degree target arcs. It's much harder for enemy tanks to blast us out of positions from a distance if they can't see us. This goes double for bazooka teams.

-Try to spread out among as many buildings as possible. This forces enemy tanks to spend more of their limited HE shells.

-Try to find good direct-fire positions for your mortars. A 60mm round isn't likely to kill a tank, but it can cause major optics damage.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Orders

More adjustment per battalion orders. 2nd and 3rd are going to vacate some space to make room for the stragglers to join us in town.

2nd Platoon - We'll adjust you northward slightly from where I previously ordered you. Get cozy with Remora in his neighborhood, although trying to occupy different buildings than him: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865551&userid=166939#post488078851

3rd Platoon - You can also shift some units northward into Able's sector to give stragglers some space. See battalion orders above.

4th Platoon - Cheer on your fellow Baker Boys. :thumbsup:

Dance Officer - I'm clearing space per glynn's orders as well as the area previously assigned to my 2nd platoon here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865551&userid=168857#post488159516

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker - 2nd Platoon

Filling in for Pirate Radar.

Get the platoon MG moving Quick to this building and Deploy.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hubis posted:

So are we good on Chits bazookas? I totally agree that the east one should not go that far/that route and that both teams should go for the same target

Mods pls namechange me to "Chitz Bazookas."

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Germans are advancing plenty, they just keep doing it without any coordinated suppressing fire so each platoon they send forward just gets cut apart in isolation.

And I’m guessing they forgot (like most goons) to manage their fatigue on a snow map, which makes it even harder to advance coherently.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I keep waiting for the Germans to give the order for their armor to flatten Mesa Verde and they just keep not doing it. It’s insane how long this platoon has held on given how much firepower could be brought down on them.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

On that note, I’d like my fellow infantry commanders to notice how that one team died as soon as the KT started shooting at it. That’s pretty typical and is why concealment is your best friend when enemy armor is around.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Co

Keep on keeping on. Pirate Radar, go ahead and take those potshots with your mg if you want. Everything else get moving if it isn’t already. You may want to slow down the units that have been jogging a while to save stamina.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Co
Mostly just sit tight. Pirate radar, I recommend slowing down your guys who have been running a while.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

At this point it’s just a question of how much the Germans are willing to lose to... still not take Foy.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Anyway, crossposting some Discord chat on what comes next. By now the Germans have to know they're not taking Foy. If not, then surely after the arty continues another couple turns and wipes out their infantry even more. In that case they have two options, either surrender now or try to eke out a ceasefire. If they take the former, there's not much to talk about. Hooray!

So let's plan against an attempt at a stalemate. The lowest hanging fruit for them is to park a KT or something juuuuust barely on a corner of the objective zone and then cheekily try to convince Grey that this meaningfully counts as contesting the town. If Grey is actually willing to allow that (we must ask for clarification on this), then obviously we simply refuse the ceasefire. Then they either surrender as they rightly should, launch a futile attack into the town proper that sees their armor getting bazookad, or just sit and try to wait us out.

We should prepare for the last case. First, we should make sure to reserve some 105 rounds. If their armor sits still for long periods, then point fire missions have a decent chance of killing tanks if we throw 20 or so rounds at one. We also absolutely need our shermans to be alive and not pinned into a corner, cause stationary cats are an opportunity for maneuvering into flank shots.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Company

No orders this turn. Sorry. Make some s'mores or something.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Grey. We were also wondering if you could try a view closer to the action for the first part of each video. The view from that SE corner isn't doing much for us.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Goddamn it Germans get your poo poo together

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Company

Make adjustments as you see fit to prepare for attack by enemy armor and/or artillery bombardment. This post has some useful screens of your units. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865551&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post488822644

2nd platoon continue redeployment. I’ll try to give you a rest once you’re in position.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hope you get better soon, Grey.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Comrade Koba please confirm that you are still active.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Company

Continue previous orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Baker Company Orders

2nd Platoon continue redeployment.

4th Platoon is now under HabeausDorkus. Ad discussed on Discord you're free to move slightly northward to better support Able and find better fighting positions. To reiterate some earlier guidelines for you:
  • Try to occupy as many different buildings as possible to minimize losses from tank fire.
  • Cover important lines of movement with your MMGs.
  • Get a good position for direct fire with your mortar.
  • Bazookas have to be outdoors to fire without hurting themselves with backblast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

acidia posted:

AT guns weren't useless in real life, right? I understand the gun probably being still good after combat since damage is unlikely going to occur to the actual firing mechanisms. Swap an axle and a tire and you can put it back into combat with a new crew. I can see it being useful in that sense. They just seem to suck at accomplishing anything against tanks. Tracking target... tracking target... tracking target... oh enemy tank sees you and... and... kaboom your crew is dead. Does the game just not model hiding them from the tank gunner well? Or is it just a matter of them being low caliber to the point the shots are only good against light armor.

AT guns were the single biggest killer of tanks in real life. They're not as good in games like this for several reasons. In combat mission you always know you're about to see combat cause it's a game, so that takes away a lot of ambush potential. Because it's a game, there's a map that the enemy is definitely inside and nothing outside, and that eliminates a lot of directions that hidden AT guns might suddenly hit you in the flank from. Players in this game also enjoy waaaaay better situational awareness than any real tank crew. You can't see a goddamn thing from inside a WWII tank so spotting a low profile gun in a forest so you can shoot back while your tank is shuddering from hits is taxing as gently caress. A CM player just has to notice the icon and place a target command. And even if the tank itself doesn't spot the gun, you just do an area fire on the tile and it's just as good.

Also, real tanks were a lot more fragile than most games suggest. There are a lot of critical parts and joints and even a non-penetrating hit can cause something important to go wrong. See Tiger 131, which was captured after a ricochet hit the turret ring and jammed the traverse.

Fray fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 18, 2018