Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
I've not really been following this LP but I heard it's fun and you need Plt. Commanders? I have limited Combat Mission experience, mostly in Black Sea, so I know roughly what I'm doing but will be shocked if my platoon doesn't either evaporate or evaporate what it's pointed at in the first 60 seconds of contact. Where do you need me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
I think to start off I'd prefer to just take a nice, easy infantry platoon command role. Walk the mans over to where I'm told, shoot things with the supports, hit things with the infantry. Frees up time for me in Yooper's LP. I see I'm down for B2 which is missing an infantry squad, I assume we've taken losses and this is everything amalgamated together? Actually, is there some way of me seeing exactly what's under my command without owning the game?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Cool

This look about right? God I hate BARs.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

All units to deploy their weapons facing West from the indicated positions, 3rd and 4th squads to split scout teams which are to Move forward cautiously, with waypoints every few AS. Mortars are to tuck in on the back side of the hedge, where they can see through but are concealed. Mortars are under the command of Bac for turn 1, with the proviso that I will be sad if he shoots off all of my HE at a suspicious looking hedge.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

habeasdorkus posted:

Grey is taking his time so he can giggle over our t1 artillery missions, both the ones that hit paydirt and the ones that kill some poor stray cat.

I hope we do kill some stray cats turn one! How much damage does a 105mm to the turret top do?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

I can't actually see what's going on very well so I'm going to assume everything is going fine. 3rd and 4th squads (which I actually think should probably be 2nd and 3rd squads, I'll tidy it up next turn) to Move forward cautiously a few AS, trailing their scout teams. Scout teams to Move cautiously another few AS and go firm.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Jaguars! posted:

This is where everyone's got to in the east:

Thanks for doing that, it's really helpful for planning.

https://i.imgur.com/Bz0nRwa.png
https://i.imgur.com/6fzr8If.png

Scouts push up to the road to watch the back of Katmai, taking cover behind whatever hedges present themselves. 2nd and 3rd squads push up to the second streamline behind their scouts to support. HQ squad and MMGs pack and move to the first streamline. Mortar team packs and moves to the current position of the HQ team, ready to commit to either the Katmai direction if major German forces are found there or else go North.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 2, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Pretty sure I screwed up order submission and am now well behind. No matter, no matter. Quick everyone forward to the river line, including support teams, and then move forward to the road line, maintaining spacing. Do not recombine scout teams. This doesn't have to be brilliantly neat.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 5, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Could I get a casualty report for 2/B 1st Bn? I know the Platoon Commander is dead and one MMG team is essentially annihilated, how bad is it elsewhere?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Move everyone into the creekbed to protect from possible direct fire from the North. Mortar team to deploy, MMG team DOES NOT deploy. It just stands next to the bit that says Deploy. Scout team to pick its way up the road cautiously, supported by a squad putting fire on the previously spotted German scout team. I suspect we'll have a better time of fighting that armoured advance if they're not looking straight into our backline.

Comrade Koba posted:

Once squads/sections reach their intended positions, use FIRING ARCS as indicated by the blue triangles.
I really wouldn't use firing arcs for this, they mean that they won't engage Germans anywhere outside of their arc. Especially given that you've drawn the arcs over about 50m. If you want your guys to look at something just give them FACE commands.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Recombine 2nd squad and their scout team by moving the scout team onto the squad. Wait for a minute to regain some stamina. 3rd squad to continue suppressing suspected observation position. Remaining MMG to fast towards the creek, or as quickly as possible if fast is unavailable. If you run multiple turns please check they're still moving. Everyone else just pray.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

1st and 3rd squads to advance to the rear and treat casualties. Attempt to recover bazookas. Split 1st squad to cover multiple casualties as necessary.

Northern MMG team to deploy gun. I think they still have it. If they do not, advance to the rear and buddy aid the gunner.

2nd squad to split into three teams and remain firm for a turn.

3rd squad scout to probe up using move and hunt as shown.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

I have just had a really bad feeling about this creekbed.

Everyone currently in the creekbed is to move out of the creekbed as shown. Elements of 2nd squad are to assault the end of the treeline and check for spotters, although I think they've all gone. Everyone else just sort of cover them. Apparently we have armoured support at the moment so there's no time like the present.

No new orders for 1st or 3rd squads at the moment, continue moving around and treating wounded, splitting into teams if required. Can someone with the game give me a quick precis of how many guys back there still need medical treatment and whether I've recovered any AT launchers?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

2nd Squad push up to the treeline and prepare to assault down it. If we run a second turn and no further German contacts have been spotted, Move down the treeline towards the contact. 3rd Squad scout team engage the spotted enemy unit. Whichever MMG team has still got an MMG, move into the treeline, while the other one goes back and picks up their MMG.

Simultaneously, 1st and 3rd Squad finish medical aid and move to the roadline in preparation to support 2nd Squad. My first map of this got kinda crowded so today we have two!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Elements of 2nd Squad and 3rd Squad scouts to crawl towards enemy armour and attempt to gain line of sight. Other elements of 2nd Squad to fire at the Germans in the building if they can see them or else Hunt down the treeline to try and find a firing position. MG team to run into the treeline. 1st and 3rd squads to cease medical work immediately and run up to the opposite side of the hill in support of 2nd squad's tasks.

I should definitely have done something more like this last turn.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Everyone at the treeline crawl back from the treeline and then all units regroup at the road junction and rest. I'm pretty drat close to shattered and I need to figure out what I still have and what I can do with it.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Mortar team shell the hedgerow north of the field boundary, marked by the targeting range numbers. Everyone else recombine into your squads and sit around the campfire with the unit XO trying to unrattle yourselves. If you are a team that no longer has a squad, congratulations, you are a squad.

I've also discussed with Hubis and I'll be taking up 3rd Plt. Charlie 1st Bn. but since his movement orders are both perfect and quite a lot better than I can produce with paint.net and squinting, continue to follow them.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 30, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

How the sodding hell did they get there?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Can anyone think of anything productive that 1/B can do? I'm totally out of ideas. I can probably get some lads forward into that treeline that's covered by indirect fire and tanks but I don't think that's going to achieve anything except their deaths.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well the video is broken but it's clear from the screenshot that the second Sherman up north is dead.

Two Sherman 76s, killed by a StuG.

I don't even know what to say.

Don't worry, we're getting whooped so hard we'll get all of our Shermans back for the next go around while also getting extra tanks.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

A reset isn't going to work at all, whether full or consolidated, because the damaged Panthers will come back fine and the damaged Shermans won't come back at all. An artillery replenishment will additionally result in the remainder of our fresh infantry being annihilated by German guns and an extended ceasefire with reinforcements for both sides will produce a rerun of the current battle. I think it's fair at this point to call off the attack entirely, we don't have the forces to do an urban assault in a blizzard against prepared enemy positions and superior armour.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Hubis posted:

I will mail a bottle of bourbon to any Platoon leader who greases a turned out Nazi tank commander before this is over

Ah, well, that changes the calculus entirely. Over the top, men!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Alright, I'd like someone with the game to give me a full workup of the morale states, casualties, exact location and current head-level visibility of 1/B. I'd also like to see a shot from Jaguars!'s green line towards Noville so that I can get a lay of the land and another from Comstar's position so that I can see that the lay of the land isn't precisely the same. I'm not at all keen on a plan that involves advancing across a 100m frontage over open ground between two lines marked "will definitely get you shot to poo poo" in the hope that there's a zone of not being shot to poo poo between them, but there's no time left in the scenario, all of my men are dead or irrelevant and if I don't do something now then I've pushed pixeltruppen around the map for a month for literally no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Jaguars! posted:

Well, that's that. A massive thank you to everyone on the team. We got dealt a lot of crap hands but we stuck to it without bickering with each other and that's all you can ask for really. Particular shout out to my platoon mates and the guys especially Pthighs who took the time to collect all the in game data I asked for.

Thanks for basically taking over Company there, you certainly kept me going. Bit of a shame we didn't get that last attack off, I was sceptical about it but it looks like the Germans intended to attack directly into us for some reason so we'd at least have gotten a good fight out of it.