Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Whom?
It's whomst actually
Goku
gently caress off OP
View Results
  • Locked thread
Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dear reader, English is probably your first language and you probably like to use fancy pants words and grammar that you think makes you sound smart. One popular signifier that you consider yourself a big intellectual is bothering to use "whom" at all. However, I'm speaking to 1000% all of you when I say you're using it wrong and need to stop. Reasons being:

1. "Whom" being an archaism that only serves to show off it's obnoxious in the first place

2. Since you're using it wrong it shows you're not only pretentious but also not as smart as you think you are.

That's why I'm asking you to just drop that poo poo once and for all. I guess some smart linguists might show up and say there's no exactly "wrong" place to put whom as long as it feels like for the speaker or something, and that's probably true. But I bet the people who actually say or write whom on the reg won't agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004
STUPID FUCKING NEWBIE

Huh?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

🍭 BETTER WATCH OUT 🍭
🎄 BETTER NOT CRY 🎄

gasseth

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

I should wake up at 4AM to watch Australia lose

Dear OP,

Bite me.

Regards,

Gridlocked, Esq.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not hard to use and OP probably smells bad IRL

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Yams Fan

the difference between "who" and "whom" is the same as the difference between "he" and "him", op

but you're right, that don't mean the people who use it are smarter than you. what, they think they're better than you? like they can just laugh at you, laugh like you're a piece a dirt, like you're gahbage. callin you names, callin you stupid– it ain't right! you're a human being and you deserve respect!

CMD
Oct 20, 2014

get fagged dumbass lol
*fragged

Lipstick Apathy

Pawn 17
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Grimey Drawer

OP doth protest too much, methinks

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCcDi8zH8M

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

lmao

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cubone posted:

the difference between "who" and "whom" is the same as the difference between "he" and "him", op

but you're right, that don't mean the people who use it are smarter than you. what, they think they're better than you? like they can just laugh at you, laugh like you're a piece a dirt, like you're gahbage. callin you names, callin you stupid– it ain't right! you're a human being and you deserve respect!

I know how it's supposed to be used, that's part of why it annoys me.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

Wave your hands in the air!

just use it however nobody cares except stuffy old rich people and people who picked bad degrees

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007

We're all God, Starbuck.

College Slice

just wanted to point out, op, that your usage of "whom" in the title is incorrect. it should be "i am gay"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

In a world gone mad,
we will not spank the monkey,
but the monkey will spank us.

"Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that."

Suck on that, OP.

(Don't ask me what it means though.)

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007
I like rocks, I like sticks.

Whom do you think you are op to boss us whomers around?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

I don't know the difference between who and whom and I don't want to know and I never will know and I don't care.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

I am gently caressed by my SAnta

Fun Shoe

fart up my rear end

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

BigBadSteve posted:

"Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that."

Suck on that, OP.

(Don't ask me what it means though.)

Nor me, but I could tell it's a profound statement by the use of the relative pronoun "whom".

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

'Whilst' is way more obnoxious, make a thread about that

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Ask not thee for whom which the bell doth toll. It tolls upon thine and thine under which thou dost watch.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

whomst'd've

open container
Sep 15, 2008

To who it might concern,

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

Cubone posted:

the difference between "who" and "whom" is the same as the difference between "he" and "him"

"zhxe" and "zhirm" tyvm...

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

gast'mth the OP please.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Traxis posted:

Next up is complaining about you and me type phrases while consistently saying "X and I" even when it's the object of a sentence.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought it was time you had a new av so typed in random picture and this is what came up

Dr Whom

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

In a world gone mad,
we will not spank the monkey,
but the monkey will spank us.

Whom farted?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Just lmao if you actually listen to other people's speaking words instead of substitute your own internal narration as they move their mouths

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought it was time you had a new av so typed in random picture and this is what came up

Just point finger at what you want whilst screaming. People will probably think you are mentally challenged and act very nicely towards u.

Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm, You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Aww. A nerd stole your girlfriend.

1redflag
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Grevling posted:

I know how it's supposed to be used, that's part of why it annoys me.

Whoa, look at Mr. Ivory Tower over here

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

'Tis I, whomst have farted the most rancid of winde, upon ye ope.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Traxis posted:

it's only okay to use "whilst" if you have one of those funny English accents where it sounds like "wowst"

e: hm I don't know what that accent is called. all I know is when I hear it I expect the speaker to have a black eye & a cauliflower ear

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at Aug 10, 2018 around 12:22

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fan of Britches

Imagine being so mad about a single word, vomiting out that op

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

also is the incorrect use of whom in the thread title from something? please quote to us the letter that hurt you, OP

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

The door blew shut but here's the deal
Dreams are lies, it's the dreaming that's real

Nap Ghost

You used the word ‘whom’ incorrectly, OP

Mega64
May 23, 2008

May I have this dance...?

Grimey Drawer

I replaced all my spoken words with fart noises, now people love me.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Whomst.

F8L
May 17, 2003

Whomp Whomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

whom (there it is)

• Locked thread
«2 »