Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Knobb Manwich posted:

Nothing. I did the same and interrogated them expecting some trap but it never arrived, not even a dilemma choice later. Ended up sitting them at base forging because I had no attachment to them and didn't trust them either. Just gonna pad out the answer even further for those not reading the spoiler.

Thanks. :) I used them on a mission and nothing untoward happened. So far. :tinfoil: Entered combat briefly and they didn't turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of Tai-Pan, how do I improve my brainwash capabilities, so that the story will progress? I think it's been a day or two of doing other missions, but there hasn't been a change.
Also, semi-related: How many 'saboteur sleepers' are required to take out a cell? Just one, or would I need to release a couple into the wild at once, to reliably succeed?

Oh, and does letting ___Kingfish___ live/be brainwashed affect anything later on? I interrogated and killed him because I'd figured he would be too dangerous to live, but I'm curious if I've missed out on anything.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My way into this game was to do the first mission with two shotguns and immediately bumbled it up/went loud.

Shotguns are awesome, cleared out the first two mooks real quick, enemy agent came around the corner, shot him once, took him down with a takedown.

Shotgun main character guy swept the rooms while my random agent carried the sleeper out. Had a mook waiting by my evac point, dude ate a shotgun to the face right as the van pulled up, hauled rear end out of there.

No loot but it was cool so who gives a poo poo.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shotguns! If they're good enough for killer robots from the future, they're good enough for your agents.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Buckshot shotgun ability from Mossad/Mafia backgrounds is extremely good!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Knobb Manwich posted:

For the next 13 hours P.D. is $29.57 at GreenManGaming.com.
I would be all over this if it was GOG instead of Steam.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Shotguns and sniper rifles both seem to be redic good.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I find shotgun good early on, but falls off later due to enemy health scaling vs shotgun damage scaling. It may also be that it's just overshadowed in my playthrough.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Shumagorath posted:

I would be all over this if it was GOG instead of Steam.

It's been a lot longer than 13 hours so moot point I guess. :v:

pedro0930 posted:

I find shotgun good early on, but falls off later due to enemy health scaling vs shotgun damage scaling. It may also be that it's just overshadowed in my playthrough.

Shotguns have pretty strong graze damage, they're good for flanking and dinging mooks who'd otherwise dodge. When you get stun ammo for them though, and access to the training that gives you Easy Kill (1 AP/fp refresh when killing stunned guys, circumvents turn ending actions), they are loving amazing. Stun itself shuts down almost all enemy types even if you only hit them for 1 damage. Works defensively on over watch as well.

There is nothing funnier than a guy flanking you hard, eating a stun round, and being left close and helpless.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

It's been a lot longer than 13 hours so moot point I guess. :v:

Shotguns have pretty strong graze damage, they're good for flanking and dinging mooks who'd otherwise dodge. When you get stun ammo for them though, and access to the training that gives you Easy Kill (1 AP/fp refresh when killing stunned guys, circumvents turn ending actions), they are loving amazing. Stun itself shuts down almost all enemy types even if you only hit them for 1 damage. Works defensively on over watch as well.

There is nothing funnier than a guy flanking you hard, eating a stun round, and being left close and helpless.

By the way, in addition to my earlier questions, are ammo upgrades a one-time/-mission use thing, or will it persist across your entire campaign? (Assuming the same guy uses that same ammo upgrade, anyway) Since at this point I've been saving them for a rainy day, although that might've been an unwise decision if it's re-useable.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It persists. Ammo types give their benefit to all shots, persist, and can be freely swapped between missions.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

It persists. Ammo types give their benefit to all shots, persist, and can be freely swapped between missions.

Ah, just what I wanted to hear - thanks! Guess I'd better put those 'bonecrushers' and serrated rounds to use, when I get home.

Oh and by the way, are there any lists of what each of the codenames in documents mean? Like how Union Jack is the SAS, etc.? Just out of curiosity really, since I like how there's that underlying narrative that's going on between all these people and groups, and how these code names aren't all just one-time things mentioned only in one case file. (And well, I'd start keeping track of them now so I know who's who as I read through it all, but it's a bit late at this point)

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Sadly, code words are not consistent between secret files and can be reused and recycled in their meanings.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, just what I wanted to hear - thanks! Guess I'd better put those 'bonecrushers' and serrated rounds to use, when I get home.

Oh and by the way, are there any lists of what each of the codenames in documents mean? Like how Union Jack is the SAS, etc.? Just out of curiosity really, since I like how there's that underlying narrative that's going on between all these people and groups, and how these code names aren't all just one-time things mentioned only in one case file. (And well, I'd start keeping track of them now so I know who's who as I read through it all, but it's a bit late at this point)

I never got around to using bone crushers as I had the same fear, and by the time I got over it I had so many AP rounds I put them on everyone. Also, reading reddit on this game and apparently decoy grenades don't break stealth? I never got around to using them. They might be more useful with the actor nerf though, like a distract in a bottle.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why are they called mooks

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Don't tell me mook has racist connotations and I've been using it this whole time?

e: I don't think they're officially called anything, I just use it to differentiate between enemy agents and everything else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mooks are stupid/incompetent

So most chaff enemies in games

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Knobb Manwich posted:

Don't tell me mook has racist connotations and I've been using it this whole time?

e: I don't think they're officially called anything, I just use it to differentiate between enemy agents and everything else.

Haha, no, I don't think so. It's not like you're calling them gooks :v:

I seem to have some kind of memory of seeing the word mooks in the game at some point. Maybe that's where you got it from.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What is Support Command Points? There's a workshop upgrade that gives you more of it, but I have no idea what it is used for.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It's the starting number of points for your tactical supports, like your spotters, snipers, etc.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PirateBob posted:

Haha, no, I don't think so. It's not like you're calling them gooks :v:

I seem to have some kind of memory of seeing the word mooks in the game at some point. Maybe that's where you got it from.

Mooks is actually a fairly common slang term for faceless random cannon fodder enemies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I was having an "ok" time with this game, but now i'm having a loving blast. My last mission I couldn't takedown the agent without going loud. Ok, fine, whatever. Did the standard loot patrol (luckily there was poo poo for my non disguised people to do too, so it wasn't too boring) and readied up.

Breach the room, full auto'd the agent down, I know the way behind me is clear for at least 4 turns and I know there is one baddie up ahead on my way out the window to the evac point. The door into that room is locked, so the guy in there is hosed.

The guy stacks up on the door and takes a potshot, nada. Does like 3 damage, who gives a poo poo. My main agent (Timothy McArthur) bursts through the door aiming the spray the guy down from behind. poo poo, another guy is in there on overwatch. Luckily agent McArthur dodges the hail of bullets, but he's out of cover. He still downs mook 1.

Cask is still in the agents room taking photo's and looting everything, Mook 2 gets a turn and opens up into agent McArthur. Luckily he's got on a vest. The next turn McArthur vaults out of the window (onto the balcony) and opens up into Mook 2's back, but then looks down.

Mook 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all waiting by the evac point. Arthur goes down the next turn. Cask picks up Arthur but can't move again that turn. The agents all run out of view.

Cask jumps off the roof and sprints towards the Evac with McArthur in tow. He takes 3 hits and manages to get to the van with 3hp remaining.

Upon waking up at base a while later, McArthur wakes up, on his table is a new passport. His doctor hurries over and say's "Good Morning agent, your new identity is Bert Reynolds".

(I asked my gf to come up with a guys name, starting with B and R ((random number generator)) and that was her response).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If he ends up needing another alias, he should become Turd Ferguson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7AxXTCnPg

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did a compound raid for the first time. Equipped some people in armour. Got hosed over.

It said kill 9 enemies but I think I bugged it by knocking out one of the agents, was stuck at 8/9 and then 12/13 . It also reinforces every 3 turns, but adds those enemies to the enemy count to kill?

I definitely explored the whole map too, its a shame.

Breach question, can I force them to do it with pistols or do I have to find suppressors for primary weapons/equip pistols in the primary slot?

Zaodai posted:

If he ends up needing another alias, he should become Turd Ferguson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7AxXTCnPg

This is on the list.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Never had that before. I have had an rear end in a top hat guard hang out on a hard to spot balcony though. When you start planning a breach, if you look at your agents' portraits, you can select which weapon to use in the breach.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Alright sweet.

This game's tutorial was pretty lovely, tbh. They should work on that. I'm gonna assume it was a bug, i loving savescummed, shot all the same guards I shot before except this time I shot the agent. Mission completed fine.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dogstile posted:

Alright sweet.

This game's tutorial was pretty lovely, tbh. They should work on that. I'm gonna assume it was a bug, i loving savescummed, shot all the same guards I shot before except this time I shot the agent. Mission completed fine.

It was probably a bug, and you probably know this already, but remember that agents take 5 turns to die when you knock them out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

dogstile posted:

Upon waking up at base a while later, McArthur wakes up, on his table is a new passport. His doctor hurries over and say's "Good Morning agent, your new identity is Bert Reynolds".

Cool. Good work hero.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1037775839985913858

Lemme suggest the name Donald Trump for your next toon

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 6, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Saint Freak posted:

Cool. Good work hero.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1037775839985913858

Lemme suggest the name Donald Trump for your next toon

Yeah my gf broke the news to me last night, so I was fully expecting this today. Bad timing.

E: Either that or he's got a new identity

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dogstile posted:

Yeah my gf broke the news to me last night, so I was fully expecting this today. Bad timing.

E: Either that or he's got a new identity

After you handle Trump tonight, I've got a few Australian pollies for you to knock-off too, if you don't mind... :v:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

After you handle Trump tonight, I've got a few Australian pollies for you to knock-off too, if you don't mind... :v:

The whole point would be to play the KGB agent as Donald Trump. You know, like how it is in real life :allears:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks to Anadrol and other wonderful drugs, now I have a bunch of agents with 4 movement points and 2 fire points. The remaining missions are going to be a walk in the park :cool:

edit: being able to run up to, kill, and dispose of a body in one turn with one agent is basically cheating.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 7, 2018

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Just got to Chapter 2 and it definitely starts to open up.

Is there any mod that highlights where the intel and lootable containers are? I'm having problems finding out where the intel is in the combat map.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

PirateBob posted:

Thanks to Anadrol and other wonderful drugs, now I have a bunch of agents with 4 movement points and 2 fire points. The remaining missions are going to be a walk in the park :cool:

edit: being able to run up to, kill, and dispose of a body in one turn with one agent is basically cheating.

The order you apply body engineering compounds matters. Some orders are significantly better than others.

AMPEA -> THG -> EPO -> TST -> DXAMPEA -> Danazol -> BMA -> DHEA -> Mannitol -> Anadrol -> Bolasterone -> Bolandiol -> Cyclofenil -> = +149 Circulatory, +109 Sensory, +130 Respiratory, +91 Motoric. With this every agent can get 4 action points, 3 fire points and maximum movement.

The optimal stats order looks to be: TST -> AMPEA -> EPO -> ARGOXY -> XENOXY -> Ralixofene -> AMPK -> Albumin -> IGF-1 -> DXAMPEA -> Danazol -> Mannitol -> Anadrol -> Bolasterone -> Bolandiol -> Cyclofenil.

The result is: +139 Circulatory, +126 Sensory, +130 Respiratory and +103 Motoric. But this only works for agents with a Circulatory base stat of minimum 61.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

ccubed posted:

The order you apply body engineering compounds matters. Some orders are significantly better than others.

AMPEA -> THG -> EPO -> TST -> DXAMPEA -> Danazol -> BMA -> DHEA -> Mannitol -> Anadrol -> Bolasterone -> Bolandiol -> Cyclofenil -> = +149 Circulatory, +109 Sensory, +130 Respiratory, +91 Motoric. With this every agent can get 4 action points, 3 fire points and maximum movement.

The optimal stats order looks to be: TST -> AMPEA -> EPO -> ARGOXY -> XENOXY -> Ralixofene -> AMPK -> Albumin -> IGF-1 -> DXAMPEA -> Danazol -> Mannitol -> Anadrol -> Bolasterone -> Bolandiol -> Cyclofenil.

The result is: +139 Circulatory, +126 Sensory, +130 Respiratory and +103 Motoric. But this only works for agents with a Circulatory base stat of minimum 61.

huh, the steam guide I found had everything the same as your second list, but the first few were AMPEA -> EPO -> ARGOXY -> TST -> everything else the same. This guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489919688. Same stat boosts and everything, just TST is in a different spot.

edit: hm, now that I'm looking at it, your first one is, again, mostly the same, just putting TST and THG in different spots.

another edit: Exmond, I don't believe mods are out yet, at least not officially. I usually spend the support-placement phase zooming around and trying to find the glowing containers, papers, and computers.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 8, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

beats for junkies posted:

huh, the steam guide I found had everything the same as your second list, but the first few were AMPEA -> EPO -> ARGOXY -> TST -> everything else the same. This guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489919688. Same stat boosts and everything, just TST is in a different spot.

edit: hm, now that I'm looking at it, your first one is, again, mostly the same, just putting TST and THG in different spots.

The order doesn't really matter if neither substance blocks the other. All the stat boosts are fixed for each one - the only reason the order is important is either when one thing blocks another (you apply the blocked one first - you keep the stat boosts even after you apply the blocker), or if one is required for another.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The order doesn't really matter if neither substance blocks the other. All the stat boosts are fixed for each one - the only reason the order is important is either when one thing blocks another (you apply the blocked one first - you keep the stat boosts even after you apply the blocker), or if one is required for another.

I know how body engineering works, I just hadn't actually checked in the game myself to see if the order for those mattered (TST in particular) - I was just going by the note I wrote down based on that steam guide because other nerds have already done the work for me. :)

Also, my CIA game (where I had a lot of the substances unlocked) bugged out - every time I go to change an agent's appearance, the full-body view is blurry. It clears up when I zoom in for facial/head stuff, but it blurs again when I go to clothes. I can't play dress-ups if my pretty princess spies are too blurry to see! Related to that, I have to hit randomize on practically every female agent I bring in because they all look the same - gold pea-coat with white scarf, gray office skirt, wild hair, and rimmed glasses. I posted in the steam bug report thread, and got a private message reply from one of the devs asking for logs, because they're trying to fix the issue (the blurriness, not the sameness). I told him that it started once I got to around 50/28 agents. The problem does not exist in my new KGB game, but I can't control-phrase enemies yet. This time I'll be a little more selective, rather than just turning everyone into an asset.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 8, 2018

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I've been playing as the CIA and I just got to Chapter 4. I've also been watching Marbozir's KGB playthrough on Youtube and he's at about the same chapter, but he only has one disguise available. I've had two for a long, long time and we seem to be playing almost completely different games. In case I decide to play as KGB myself, when do they get a second disguise? Or do they?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
There is another recon upgrade that grant additional disguise, but it's pretty late in the game, I think chapter 4 or 5 sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ccubed posted:

I've been playing as the CIA and I just got to Chapter 4. I've also been watching Marbozir's KGB playthrough on Youtube and he's at about the same chapter, but he only has one disguise available. I've had two for a long, long time and we seem to be playing almost completely different games. In case I decide to play as KGB myself, when do they get a second disguise? Or do they?

I don't remember the exact order everything unlocks but I know that some of the workshop research items are gated behind others and won't show up until the prerequisite has been researched first - it's possible he just hasn't bothered to research whatever project might lead in to the second disguise unlock yet.