Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I've seen a few people on reddit mention that KGB don't get their second disguise until much later in the campaign, compared to CIA/Mossad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Finished the game with CIA background. Pretty cool all the way through. :)

Might play it again with extended narrative and Mossad, but I wish that story had been completely different, free from all the Beholder nonsense.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Finally bought in and am a couple missions deep so I think it's too late to make my main guy Donald Trump te KGB agent, but it's the advice still to disperse agents on the map while you're getting started? Hired some folks and not sure what to do to get to places with a team in time to do things

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you only need one agent to show up to discover what a thing is, but if it's a beholder mission you need two to actually do the action on it. So just race two scrubs wherever, it really doesn't matter who. Agents will teleport into battle as necessary and sleepers only trigger in combat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah don't worry about it too much. I've got two dudes stationed over in America but that's about it.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Finished the game and overall impression is that the tactical layer really has lot of problems.

The game really falls flat on its face after chapter 3. You get all kinds of different gadgets and roided agents but Beholder never gets any new tricks. I just spent the last four chapters running around in full combat gear without even caring about disguises. Every tactical mission works out just the same. You just setup your agents to take out most of the enemy team with silencers. Later the enemy agent (who is probably aready planted with mason gambit) spots a body and you gun down the rest of the team that are still standing out in the open without awareness. Then the team grenades down the reinforcements which spawn in a really tight group at the edge of the map. If someone got hurt through their heavy armor they are instantly healed without infirmary time just by using medkit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm ok with that, but my main problem is that the story beats have no characters I actually give a poo poo about and it doesn't really ease you into the gameplay loop.

It did take me about an hour to work out how to break it, but i think that might be more a problem with me playing too many games

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Is there a tier list for guns or something to determine when they can be available for sale or as mission loot? I went about 5 chapters in my CIA game never seeing an M16 rifle, but my KGB crew found one during a mission in chapter one. Of course, none of my agents have any trainings/backgrounds to properly utilize it (not that I have any weapon mods apart from pistol silencers), but it's still a better gun than the AK some of my dudes are carrying.

edit: ugh, just restarted a cell-assault mission because my one disguised agent started right in front of the lone enemy agent, while my 5 dudes in bulletproof vests were standing outside wondering how they got stuck with The Worst Spy. Nobody on my team has Actor yet, but it doesn't matter at that range (I know it used to, but then Actor was changed for the better).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 9, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

beats for junkies posted:

Is there a tier list for guns or something to determine when they can be available for sale or as mission loot? I went about 5 chapters in my CIA game never seeing an M16 rifle, but my KGB crew found one during a mission in chapter one. Of course, none of my agents have any trainings/backgrounds to properly utilize it (not that I have any weapon mods apart from pistol silencers), but it's still a better gun than the AK some of my dudes are carrying.

edit: ugh, just restarted a cell-assault mission because my one disguised agent started right in front of the lone enemy agent, while my 5 dudes in bulletproof vests were standing outside wondering how they got stuck with The Worst Spy. Nobody on my team has Actor yet, but it doesn't matter at that range (I know it used to, but then Actor was changed for the better).

The M16 was actually bugged to not appear and was recently fixed in a patch so that's probably why you didn't see it before.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The M16 was actually bugged to not appear and was recently fixed in a patch so that's probably why you didn't see it before.

Oh, that would explain it, thanks! Hopefully I'll get someone soon who can use it more efficiently.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

beats for junkies posted:

Treat it like an hostile extraction mission, sounds pretty dope.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Right. So the mission where they invade your base for the first time is a spectacular piece of bullshit.

I've restarted five times now, learning that the game gets free perfect awareness of your location, the ability to shoot around corners without allowing you to shoot back, and the one time it spawned the enemy agent right beside my start point I discovered that a poison gas grenade exists, can't be dodged, and instantly wipes out all three agents in the next turn. Awesome.

How are you supposed to even survive to escape?

WebDO fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 9, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

WebDO posted:

Right. So the mission where they invade your base for the first time is a spectacular piece of bullshit.

I've restarted five times now, learning that the game gets free perfect awareness of your location, the ability to shoot around corners without allowing you to shoot back, and the one time it spawned the enemy agent right beside my start point I discovered that a poison gas grenade exists, can't be dodged, and instantly wipes out all three agents in the next turn. Awesome.

How are you supposed to even survive to escape?

Is this the KGB one? I jumped out the back window, stuck close to the wall and went left until I got to the street, then stayed behind the trucks and headed for extraction. It's annoying and took me a few tries before I figured out the strategy and also had it work. Never had poison gas kill everyone, though. I had someone throw a gas grenade that did a good chunk of damage (about 1/3 total hp for two of my agents, the third was too far ahead to get caught in it). Usually the biggest problem is covering the ground between the two trucks, and the door with the balcony above it (usually that's where the enemy agent(s) start loving things up). I made sure everyone going into the mission had a medkit and a grenade, also body armor. Don't give a gently caress about concealment, obviously - take the biggest vests you've got.

The biggest problem is that it comes so early in the game, you don't have a lot of options at your disposal, either gear or abilities. If you've got someone with a laser pointer, have them hit the enemy agent, or anyone else who you can see but not kill. Flashing someone's eyes with a laser doesn't cost a FP, I think it's just awareness, but keeping an enemy agent from being able to shoot at all is huge.

I think the CIA base-being-attacked mission seems to favor the player a lot more. It seems to come a little later in the game than the KGB one, you get more agents to use, and all you have to do is run one of them upstairs to deal with the objective while the other 5 murder everyone they see, and hold out for an extraction after the objective is done. You're also being attacked, of course, but you're in a better position overall than the KGB team is.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 9, 2018

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
There's a base attack mission for CIA? I never got that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

KGB has a scripted base assault, CIA just has that highway look out mission. They can be base assaulted normally, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The CIA one is where you have to go to the second floor, burn evidence and kill some navy seals.

I set someone up on the roof with overwatch, went pretty well. One of my dudes did come out of it with 1hp but that's because the loving air support was a chaingun.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

dogstile posted:

The CIA one is where you have to go to the second floor, burn evidence and kill some navy seals.

I set someone up on the roof with overwatch, went pretty well. One of my dudes did come out of it with 1hp but that's because the loving air support was a chaingun.

Ahh, that one. That's assaulting your *old* base though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

airstrikes in this are pretty lmao tbh

it's the most unthreatening thing and it lasts forever, holding up reinforcements for like 9 turns.

also a chopper comes into washing dc and starts loving poo poo up, what

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the game needed like, one more balancing pass before released.

I'm on what, chapter 2? I already feel unbeatable. I send everyone on missions in heavy armour and just shoot my way through.

This cold war got hot real quick.

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Only slightly threatening part even on hard are still 2 agent enemy recons which you can also completely ignore with interrupt op or take a hit of like 100 danger lol.

It's hosed up that the whole first chapter consists mostly of them and then you can never do them again if you choose not to.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

If you find it too easy or unfun then stop doing tac ops. The missions are a lot more tense if you go in blind.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

that starts rapidly becoming unfun too when you have to find three stories worth of stairs/ladders in fow too, tho

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

also a chopper comes into washing dc and starts loving poo poo up, what

I feel like this kind of thing is justified because technically even with the CIA background you are not a government actor (I mean you get burned at the end of the first chapter), so the air support could just be Beholder pulling strings in the military/law enforcement to respond to you, with the very easy justification that you are committing acts of espionage/terrorism on US soil (even if your reasons for doing so are actually to prevent someone ELSE from doing it).

But yeah air support is a complete non-threat and annoying at worst. Does smoke prevent them from targeting you or do you have to be indoors? If it does then it barely even qualifies as annoying.

Gamerofthegame posted:

that starts rapidly becoming unfun too when you have to find three stories worth of stairs/ladders in fow too, tho

It's not like the maps are random though, so once you've seen the rotation (there's not even that many) you can have a pretty good idea of where you need to go for that stuff anyway.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 11, 2018

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like this kind of thing is justified because technically even with the CIA background you are not a government actor (I mean you get burned at the end of the first chapter), so the air support could just be Beholder pulling strings in the military/law enforcement to respond to you, with the very easy justification that you are committing acts of espionage/terrorism on US soil (even if your reasons for doing so are actually to prevent someone ELSE from doing it).

But yeah air support is a complete non-threat and annoying at worst. Does smoke prevent them from targeting you or do you have to be indoors? If it does then it barely even qualifies as annoying.

It's not like the maps are random though, so once you've seen the rotation (there's not even that many) you can have a pretty good idea of where you need to go for that stuff anyway.

I am not sure how smoke interacts with air support, but this reminded me of an instance where I got targeted through a skylight and have no more action point to move away. With the only move left I threw a smoke and have another agent went out the building then back in to distract the air support but the targeted area was firmly locked on my agent in the smoke. I thought I was going to eat an A-10 gun run for the first time but somehow my agent in the smoke didn't take any damage from the airstrike.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

pedro0930 posted:

I am not sure how smoke interacts with air support, but this reminded me of an instance where I got targeted through a skylight and have no more action point to move away. With the only move left I threw a smoke and have another agent went out the building then back in to distract the air support but the targeted area was firmly locked on my agent in the smoke. I thought I was going to eat an A-10 gun run for the first time but somehow my agent in the smoke didn't take any damage from the airstrike.

I guess it doesn't block the attack but maybe it has some weird interaction with damage? I know the "distraction" method only works if the airstrike has actually lost its original target and is just targeting the last viable position it had, so if it didn't move it must have still been locked on. Smoke doesn't have any kind of damage reduction effect that I'm aware of but maybe there's some weird thing where instead of actually just damaging every tile in the AoE the airstrike individually attacks each agent inside the AoE and the smoke somehow breaks the valid line of Sight for that?

Either that or maybe the airstrike doesn't actually hit every tile inside the AoE but rather a random selection of them and you just got lucky. I don't think I've ever actually been hit by an airstrike at all so I have no idea how they're supposed to work.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Airstrikes are a non issue anyway.

40 damage, woe is me. I had a guy eat two of them, first time because i was curious and the second time before I forgot.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why is it always the exact same time of night and raining in every mission. That's what bothers me :downs:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

because they only have one infiltration music track and that's extremely night and raining

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess that’s why they call it wetwork

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

The Spy Who Came In From The Rain

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

:newlol:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

People who've beaten the game, how far through am I? I'm on chapter 7, regular KGB campaign, just been given a mission to attack a base in Grenada. Things are getting a bit repetitive but if I'm nearly finished I'll power through.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gato posted:

People who've beaten the game, how far through am I? I'm on chapter 7, regular KGB campaign, just been given a mission to attack a base in Grenada. Things are getting a bit repetitive but if I'm nearly finished I'll power through.

I think that was the last chapter in my CIA game and as far as I can tell so far from my Mossad campaign the different origins follow the same arc after the first chapter, so I think you’re basically at the end there. That one might even be the last mission (I don’t remember exactly but I know it’s very close to the end)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gato posted:

Yeah you're at the end.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is the extended/mossad campaign worth a playthrough? I'm starting to get fatigued with CIA (chapter 3/4).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Cheston posted:

Is the extended/mossad campaign worth a playthrough? I'm starting to get fatigued with CIA (chapter 3/4).

I'm not sure yet. There's some cool stuff with Dr. Josef Mengele at the start, but my next mission is to free Omikron and I fear the campaign will be very similar to the CIA one from then on. The Beholder stuff just isn't super interesting IMO. Let me hunt more nazis!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I really like that the protagonist of the mossad campaign hunts nazis on their own time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone needs a hobby.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
When do you unlock brainwashing and double agents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Exmond posted:

When do you unlock brainwashing and double agents?

At least halfway through the game. Chapter 4 or 5 maybe. Can't remember exactly.