Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Saint Freak posted:

The devs did a livestream for GOG like a month or so ago and 'Hard West was unpolished' was basically the first thing they said too, so I'm hoping that means they learned some lessons.

Aren't they a Polish studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

ZearothK posted:

Yup.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Anyone know if there's a way to move or incapacitate a civilian once they are aware of your presence? I can't finish the first mission after the tutorial as the CIA because there's a guy cowering in front of the computer I need to access and I can't do anything to him to get him out of the way. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I have no idea what it is.

I guess I made the mistake of breaching the bunker next door to get the intel first, but still.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ZearothK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZearothK posted:

It was unpolished but not unPolished.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I hope the pool of possible agents isn't finite. Just lost my first agent!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to move or incapacitate a civilian once they are aware of your presence? I can't finish the first mission after the tutorial as the CIA because there's a guy cowering in front of the computer I need to access and I can't do anything to him to get him out of the way. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I have no idea what it is.

I guess I made the mistake of breaching the bunker next door to get the intel first, but still.

I had this happen too and I just loaded a previous save from before breaching the bunker, and the civilian ran somewhere else, letting me at the computer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game looks like an XCOM 2 mod, I mean everything about it looks just like XCOM but with different skins. The UI, the movement, the buttons, just about everything.

Is there a risk of them getting hit with a lawsuit over blatantly just copying XCOM?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

When you get the option to have an agent start disguised, make sure to take it. That agent will spawn much closer to the objective, and they can only be uncovered by enemy agents. Otherwise they can trespass all they long right in front of cameras, soldiers, or civilians and nobody will ever care. Managed to pull off an otherwise potentially tricky mission by just walking right up to the target, bonking her on the head, and carrying her out without nobody being any wiser.

Of course, the very next mission (which appeared to be story-related) involved my safe-house being raided, meaning my three poorly-armed agents on site were supposed to fight through like 10 enemies towards an evac zone on the far side of the incoming attackers. No idea how I'm supposed to manage that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Perestroika posted:

Of course, the very next mission (which appeared to be story-related) involved my safe-house being raided, meaning my three poorly-armed agents on site were supposed to fight through like 10 enemies towards an evac zone on the far side of the incoming attackers. No idea how I'm supposed to manage that.

I just ran into this and wiped, which is how I learned that "ironman" means "save deletes on loss" here. I'm finding open combat really punishing, at least in the early game, when you're sure to be outnumbered and probably outgunned. It's also really tricky for me to figure out cover facing and where the enemy will be able to shoot me from.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Does the game allow mods? This just screams for an Archer character and voice pack.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ok, is there seriously no archive in analytics? Once you've connected the links there is no way to come back and try to understand what it was that you actually uncovered. It also doesn't help that some pieces are just pictures with a bunch of seemingly unrelated (to the picture) words.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
This game has a lot of problems in the tactical portion, despite some significant improvements over XCOM2.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Popete posted:

This game looks like an XCOM 2 mod, I mean everything about it looks just like XCOM but with different skins. The UI, the movement, the buttons, just about everything.

Is there a risk of them getting hit with a lawsuit over blatantly just copying XCOM?

what

lmao this isn't even close to true

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Popete posted:

*the sound of Rockstar revving up the Lawfucker for every studio who's made a video game since GTA 3*

no, no one is going to get sued for making a video game that is a lot like another video game

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Where's the squad size upgrade tech? Two guys don't have nearly enough guns.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

So is this game worth picking up? I’m really on the fence about it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pathos posted:

Too early to tell, honestly. No harm in staying on the fence for now.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
here's an hour of gameplay. It seems to scratch my itch completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLYlTJPzqeE&t=562s

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

what

lmao this isn't even close to true

I'm not saying the game is bad. Watching game play video it looks like I'm just watching someone play an XCOM 2 mod. The GUI elements, font, iconography, the pathing and zone highlighting all looks directly plucked from XCOM 2.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pennfalath posted:

Does the game allow mods? This just screams for an Archer character and voice pack.

Right? Literally, not figuratively, my first thought.

Popete posted:

I'm not saying the game is bad. Watching game play video it looks like I'm just watching someone play an XCOM 2 mod. The GUI elements, font, iconography, the pathing and zone highlighting all looks directly plucked from XCOM 2.

Phoenix Point, Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained are all examples of games that are intentionally designed to mimic existing properties, often by the designer of the original property. If those games get out the door, there is no way in hell you see a lawsuit over this. You can't copywrite game mechanics or a general artistic style, so the fact that it is definitely cribbing from X-Com doesn't matter.

Pathos posted:

Have only gotten to play for a couple of hours, but honestly, I'd buy it. It's about half the cost of a AAA release on steam, and if you like X-Com you will like this game. The core loop seems good, I haven't hit any game breaking bugs. About the only bad thing I can say about it is the LOS system seems a bit wonky, with enemies sometimes able to shoot you through gaps you wouldn't expect, and a couple of instances of what appear to be people shooting through walls.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
So uhh...what's the deal with line of sight in this game? You seem to get shot through walls from all angles at infinite range. Surely I'm not missing something here because this just seems broken.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Having put about four hours into it before having to leave for work—not in one straight save file but cut into two different ones—I have some first impressions for the curious.

Combat is familiar, but different. The replacement of a % chance to hit by the awareness system is, so far, good, but awareness is another resource to manage and I think that’s one of the things that makes combat more difficult than equivalent-difficulty XCOM. I’ve been spoiled by Battletech and how it just paints lines to show you what you’ll be able to hit when you move somewhere, which PD doesn’t have, and that’s kind of frustrating because enemies are able to pull off shots at surprising angles. The infiltration bits are great, maybe even too easy, it’s just combat that feels crappy.

It’s quite brutal to start, though I’m guessing it gets easier when you have more weapons and can send more agents on a mission—starting off with no silencers and two agents per mission can make them hard to pull off. I’ve realized that it’s just not worth it to do some missions; if the only consequence is adding a small amount to the Danger bar then I can let that scout go about their business.

If you play the KGB then know that the second story mission is a weird pitfall of a mission; you get asked to send agents on a strategic-layer mission and it turns into them fighting a larger, well-equipped force. Don’t go into it with some people with pistols, like I did.

I think, but I might be wrong, that the way you get new weapons is just that once you’ve seen one on the battlefield and taken it, you can buy and sell as much as you want.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

beats posted:

So uhh...what's the deal with line of sight in this game? You seem to get shot through walls from all angles at infinite range. Surely I'm not missing something here because this just seems broken.

The levels really aren't designed with LOS to be obvious and it shows. This game needed a lot more time in the oven.

Popete posted:

In these 3d tactical games, they're gonna borrow a lot from XCOM 2 for UI. However, some of the mechanics of the game are far less thought through than Firaxis', though some things are an improvement. I found overwatch to be really odd and light machine guns to be awful.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe Silent Storm stole from X-Com 2 also. hosed up if you ask me.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Is there any way to zoom out on the maps?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You can press V to zoom out for a second, then it zooms back in when you let go. The camera is way too tight for this kind of game.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

beats posted:

So it's identical to XCOM2 in how LOS works. Figured as much. I can work with that, just have to know in advance!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just about an hour or 2 in and 3 of my agents have "ID Exposed" what do I do to give them a new cover? I may be blind , but I can't see any way to give them a new ID.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Raged posted:

Just about an hour or 2 in and 3 of my agents have "ID Exposed" what do I do to give them a new cover? I may be blind , but I can't see any way to give them a new ID.

You have to buy the Forger upgrade for the base to create new identities.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

After being really excited for release and playing this for a couple hours, this game is in full on Please Do Not Buy Yet mode.

Full of jank and completely unfun in many ways. I can't tell if some of these decisions are bugs or awful design decisions. They might be able to fix it, they might not. Either way you should almost certainly wait.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

So it's identical to XCOM2 in how LOS works. Figured as much. I can work with that, just have to know in advance!

Way worse than anything in XCOM. It has a similar step-out/peeking system, only right now it almost seems to extend two tiles around characters, even though you only step out one to shoot. So you can be two steps around a corner and get spotted and shot at (the bullets visibly just go through the walls).

Then all the guns have at least double the range of anything in XCOM and a 100% chance to hit. It's pretty miserable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Combat in the early game just seems to be a drag unless you’re very good or the enemy makes a mistake. Hopefully squad sizes above 2 and/or better stealth will smooth things out in the longer run? I won’t get to play more until tonight.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is there a physical console release? I’m not into supporting digital only console games.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I have no idea what I'm doing but in my first mission, I knocked out the enemy agent and carried them out with me. I'm enjoying it so far.

I like how when you rescue an informant, they have equipment on them and ready to go. They're handcuffed and all, but Beholder goons, you might want to take the literal machine gun away from your prisoner.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
When the game forces you into a mission with no stealth and open combat it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkks

They should have stuck with X-COm % chance if they were going to do that

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It certainly doesn't have as much polish as XCOM, It doesn't have certain QoF feature such as preview vision and flanking after movement or whether you are flanking someone. However, after a few hours of game what I've seen so far is pretty promising.

Combat is more attrition based. Overwatch seems extremely powerful, especially if you stack it since you can fire multiple times with overwatch. First shot strip the enemy of awareness (similar to the luck system in Hard West), second shot kills the target. There's no chance to hit, cover and various defense stat reduce damage taken. Breaching also seems powerful, it's seems to be one of the few cheap and reliable way to kill multiple enemies in a room. Carry smoke if you want to capture enemy agent, enemy vision and attack range is extremely long in this game, blocking off vision is probably your best chance to survive when you are trying to disengage.

The geoscape portion of the game seems interesting. You have to assign your limited agents to prepare missions before hand or attack head on which is much harder. As the game progress you get more options to prepare your mission. It's pretty dope.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 15, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The geoscape bits seem great, yeah.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Every time I try to hide Aguirre's body in the second mission the game crashes. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

botany posted:

Every time I try to hide Aguirre's body in the second mission the game crashes. :smith:

Same here. I just did not bother after the 3rd crash.