Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GoG has a 15% off coupon set up for Christopher Odd, OddDoctrine. Probably gonna get this tomorrow even though I'm a complete idiot when it comes to deciphering clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

You can press V to zoom out for a second, then it zooms back in when you let go. The camera is way too tight for this kind of game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I have no idea what I'm doing but in my first mission, I knocked out the enemy agent and carried them out with me. I'm enjoying it so far.

I like how when you rescue an informant, they have equipment on them and ready to go. They're handcuffed and all, but Beholder goons, you might want to take the literal machine gun away from your prisoner.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

so uh it seems if you use a medkit before the end of the mission, you return to base with full hp. I just got mauled in...

Raged posted:

When the game forces you into a mission with no stealth and open combat it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkks

They should have stuck with X-COm % chance if they were going to do that

... this mission. And my main dude who was down to ~25% is fine after a medkit.

It was seat of the pants but between flanking with smgs, aggressively running up and tossing nades, smoke to block LOS, and lmgs to put on a bit of damage at distance, it was doable. The big thing I learned is it's not worth exposing one of your dudes to three/four of them firing back if you can help it. Even if you're in full cover you will get hammered. Fading back and blocking LOS can let some AI advance into the open.

Also really slammed home why you don't want all lmgs all the time. Being able to sprint and still fire was a godsend.

fake edit: yeah disguises are op as gently caress. An enemy agent can spot you, they have about 8 tiles of vision, but as soon as you get one guy with the actor perk you can zip around freely.

real edit: unless the main character is healed after those story missions?

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 15, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Saint Freak posted:

I hauled this loving enemy agent all the way across the map and into a van and then drove that van to Beirut only to get back to the base and have my team kill him there.

Massively inefficient.

It's ok your boffins back at base whack them with sticks until a few pieces of juicy intel fall out.

I'm rather sad that the first (as far as I know) Beholder double agent got outed by intel pinatas like 30 seconds onto the job. It would've blown my little mind if he'd gone off.

Also, if you get the option to tail someone back to their hideout, don't loving do it. You eat a load of danger and get three of your agents compromised, which costs $$$ to undo. Just make some new friends and bring them home with you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Later on after building appropriate facilities you will be able to hunt them apparently. Early on it's useless.

I'm not actually sure what having agents do analytics is for? Reading the manual it might automate the analytics board so you don't manually draw string lines? hosed up if true.

poo poo from the manual I'm finding useful. I've added tiny bits to it.

Targets will dodge as long as they have the Awareness to do so, but they cannot dodge attacks from adjacent tiles. Dodged attacks do minimum damage.

Cover
No Cover: Full damage
Half Cover: Damage reduced by 50%
Full cover: Damage reduced by 75%
*Damage can be further reduced by equipped armour.
(Not sure how armour reduction works. Might just be straight up reduced by that amount. If so wearing armour would reduce a SHITLOAD of the chip damage. Needs checking.)

Breach is a safe way to enter a room with potential or known enemies; not only will you take out the enemies in the room, you also retain your Action Points (but not your fire point). Suppressed breaches will not alert enemies unless they see you/the bodies.

Enemy Agents will raise the alarm if they see your Agents regardless if your Agent is inside or outside a Restricted Area.
Agents wearing a Disguise can walk in front of opponents or cameras in Restricted Areas without raising an alarm. Enemy Agents see through your disguises. Get the Actor perk to walk past enemy Agents. You can even distract enemy Agents with Actor.

Keep a few grand in the bank for emergencies.
Take your time on the strategic map. Most story missions are not time sensitive, it seems to warn you when they are, or you're competing with a progress bar (you can reduce progress by stopping enemy Conspiracy Ops).
The manual literally says blazing through the story will makes thing difficult for you. Take some chill time to train, gather money, resources.
Story progress unlocks new features, enemies also become increasingly difficult.
Prioritise forgery upgrades. More money per hour is amazing.
Informants give up secrets. Can be info on enemies, reveal your guys perks, can unlock manufacturing blueprints or allow you to buy items/supports/hire new agents.

Your Agents accrue Heat if their evacuation is compromised or if they’re seen on Infiltration missions. Heat decreases over time unless it reaches its max: at max their ID is exposed, which means you’ll need to go back to the home base for a new ID. Agents with maxed Heat will take longer to travel across the world map, and may be ambushed when idle outside the home base.

Apparently agents in groups complete missions faster. Gonna try a 4 man recon job and see if it's still 10 hours.
If you don’t stop an Enemy Operation marked by a red skull (called Conspiracy Plots), you earn a +1 to the Doomsday Counter. There is a conspiracy out there which moves closer to their goal with each operation completed. When the Doomsday Counter is complete, you lose the game—game over.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

dev's posted:

We assure that we're working on fixes here. This is our top priority, along with weapon ranges. The design team is preparing a detailed explanation on how the system for calculating LoS/LoF currently works, and how it could be improved. We will be listening to your feedback and we will get it fixed.

Thank you for your understanding.

In the continuing adventures of the world's worst sleeper agent, the sleeper and his team were ambushed while investigating suspicious activity. One the first turn, the sleeper shot the enemy agent we started next to in the head, killing him. Then we ran away from the rest of the ambush. The sleeper decided his moment had come and betrayed us. While sitting still with no cover between a dude holding a sniper rifle and a dude with a pistol. A for effort mate.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Someone asked earlier what determines how many agents you can bring to a tactical mission. It each mission type has a set number of slots.

Been getting a load of enemy recon missions, and all of them have ended with a .45 point blank execution. :commissar: Actor is stupid OP at the moment.

Weapons are tiered, each tier is a straight damage upgrade on the last. Not being proficient in a gun means it costs a fire point to reload, in addition to not being able to mod it. E: headshots cost extra awareness too.

So far training is making GBS threads me off. It takes so long and relatively costs a lot for each agent. Urban ops to get proficiency in early pistols, and the one that gives the exertion perk are my go to. Exertion owns. -25ish awareness for 2 extra mobility, doesn't break stealth, 2 turn effect and cooldown. Really lets you get around.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 17, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

amitlu posted:

Is there anywhere that tells you beforehand how many? When interrupting a conspiracy slot the assault option has a 1 agent icon on it so I assume that's the minimum neccessary but it sometimes it'll only allow me two agents and othertimes 4.

Also it's weird how it just gathers up agents that are far away for the operation instead of need them at the location.

Haven't seen it anywhere beforehand. Assaulting an enemy doing recon is 2 agents max, rescuing an informant is 3, assaulting a cell hq is 6.

Yeah it is weird. Weirder how everyone that went on the trip ends up back at home base. I have my best infiltrators sitting at home doing forging so they're always available if I need them.

Caros posted:

Near as i can tell they did this because a lot of times you wouldn't have enough opportunity to get agents to the missions in time.

Yeah. Maybe hard mode can do this. :v:

Lead designer talking about the LOS issues. Looks like you don't just step out when against cover, you're stepping out in all cardinal directions all the time, and so is everyone else. They are working on an alternative though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Caros posted:

Not sure if this is a spoiler but Holy balls is body engineering good. Not just for the generally increased stats, but apparently when you get your agent's stats high enough, they begin to gain additional action points. One of my main characters switched from two action points with seven movement, to three with five. Since she also has the +2 movement for two turns ability this ends up being a huge increase in flexibility and movement. I'm now genuinely curious if you'll be able to get additional firing points.

:piss:

I moused over that upgrade, only saw the movement range decrease to 5, I didn't see the extra action point, I was wondering why anyone would take this loving terrible upgrade. :regd09: It looks like 100 motoric is the break point for 3 action points. I couldn't get a second firepoint but I assume I haven't found the right B.E. upgrade for it yet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ainsley McTree posted:

The biggest tease is that they give you this extremely cool "breach" mechanic, but then discourage you from engaging in combat :mad:

I guess it could become useful again if you have everyone kitted out with suppressors, but that feels like it's a long way off.

It's really hard to tell how much damage you'll do on a breach as well. You'll probably kill any unaware mooks in the room, but enemy agents might survive. It gets useful as soon as you get two guys with suppressors, which doesn't take that long if you loot. Loot all day every day. At minimum that junk gun you picked up is worth $400 spybucks, sometimes close to $1000. Looting has been funding a significant part of my upgrades and training. This is also why I no longer interrupt enemy ops and miss out on loot/xp.

Jackhammer posted:

I just got to chapter 2 and feel like this game suddenly took a 180 degree turn. Almost every mission is 6 man raid and i can just throw body armors and machine guns on everyone and start shooting poo poo.

Cleaner support seems to be broken. None of my agents accumulate any heat even when I wreck the place.

I wish I could do this but my brain considers a raised alarm mission failed.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh, that's something to look forward to, then.

I kind of hate the machine guns, though; the ability to use two movement points and fire on the same turn is just too cool to give up, no matter how much damage those things do.

When you get a sniper they own. "You. Yeah you. You're dead, I don't give a poo poo about your full cover headshot baby. Hey Joe, please top up my awareness, thanks man love ya."

I hope they add a better buy/sell/equipment management interface. It's annoying to have to go into crew quarters, click on an agent, click around to sell poo poo, possibly gently caress up their equipment if you're not attentive. Also stripping gear of people and passing it around. Also gearing up loners going to check out suspicious activity. So much gearing.

Also lmao, putting agents to work on the analytics board gets them doing the analysing documents minigame for you, except they're glacially slow at it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Damage threshold seems to be a straight reduction of damage taken. Full cover + heavy armour is godly. I was only afraid of enemy snipers, but the AI wasn't that good that it'd strip awareness with a machinegunner then go for a headshot. You can really dunk on the enemies all day long if you kit out for going loud.

Also as soon as you get a guy proficient in both sniper rifles and the sure shot skill, do it. I think sure shot is bugged to do headshot level damage rather than single shot damage. Sureshot is undodgable. Haven't found an enemy agent yet that can survive that from infiltration.

Raged posted:

When do you unlock body engineering? Have completed the upgrade that adds +1 slots to body engineering, but do not have it unlocked in my base.

I am facing agents with 100 hp and my highest is 91

I just went through some saves. This is CIA playthrough, but I have the option to build the BE facility at day 4, still in chapter 1. Not sure what unlocked it. Didn't have the option to build a BE expansion.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Eponymous posted:

Body modification question: It says something about compounds blocking other compounds... Can I "overwrite" or strip out compounds once I discover new options, or am I shooting myself in the foot by buffing early?

I just got given a 'Remove All' compound in chapter 4 after you recover the Marquis cargo. From what I've seen, you're blocked from putting on the compound... but if you already had that compound first you seem to keep the stat benefit? poo poo's weird.

Raged posted:

Day 21 and it just popped up and I did not trigger anything. Must be a bug

I think progress is gated by storyline, and then rewards go into a random pool for intel/informers/missions. Maybe you just got really unlucky?

SlightlyMad posted:

For those thinking about buying the game, I can recommend it from my perspective. I've been enjoying it a lot. It looks like X-com but plays very differently. Cool spy game. Of course not everyone will like the same things.

I'm really enjoying it now that a) it is not to be played like Xcom and b) going from MUST STEALTH EVERYTHING to walking around in armour with big guns, expecting stealth to fail. If it doesn't, well, that's nice. I like the combat, I'm enjoying flanking aggressively and doing poo poo like putting a sniper up high and just pinning their reinforcements, or chipping them down with LMGs through cover, or running up to them and head shotting them with a pistol. I'm starting to plan ambushes for the enemy agents by killing a few guards in a certain area and waiting for them to come investigate. Killing three agents in a turn. Feels loving good.

e: I really like the predictable numbers. It's on me to find a plan for a turn, rather than trying to minimise risk and pray.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm honestly disappointed that an agent's language proficiency only affects whether they get the "distract" ability.

Yeah how hard is it to learn "got a light?" in a foreign language?

Also holy poo poo the skill bargain. It comes from shock tactics 4, if you pop it you eat 15 damage but it gives you 200 damage resistance for the enemy turn.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Nah, anyone can stabilize. If you're carrying them they won't bleed, it's kinda dumb. The body will have a red number over it, that's how many turns until they kick the bucket.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

pedro0930 posted:

Some news about upcoming patch:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/559100/announcements/detail/1689300456297308735

Looks like there's going to be one today or tomorrow that disable side-stepping when not in full cover. Another one Wednesday that'll have more balance tweaks. A general decrease in weapon range might make more weapons more distinct. Right now I feel only shotgun, pistol, MG, and sniper rifles are any good. When you flank someone single shot from pistol seems to do more damage than full-auto or burst with automatic weapon, which I thought is suppose to be what burst fire is good for?

Not sure how I feel about disabling sidestepping when out of full cover. I've gotten used to it haven't had a problem with LOS for ages. If anything it's been weird spots where I didn't have LOS when I felt I should've that's been giving me grief. I'd agree pistols feel wrong. I think when you get to the higher tier ones their damage scaling is off the charts compared to other guns, and their range has been set to keep the low tier pistols useful at range. Burst fire is supposed to do more damage on a flank or to targets without cover according to the tips, but I haven't noticed that in practise.

Hey have you played around with stun rounds for shotguns yet? They do poo poo all damage, but they take away fire and action points from the target. The target is literally useless, even when you only hit them for like 10 damage. You can completely lock someone down with it. I forgot to test if the stun lasted multiple turns to see if you could control multiple people. e: it does last two turns lmao.

quote:

• increased visibility of CCTV consoles and loot / intel containers
  • the Blinding Laser ability now also reduces target awareness by 100
  • reinforcements no longer spawn too close to the player

in order:
thank god
holy poo poo
thank god

Every team from now on is going to be someone with warn ally/blinding laser paired up with a sniper. Headshots all day, gently caress your dodge.

e: huh bargain is only 50 damage threshold. I'm sure the tooltip said 200. Maybe I'm an idiot.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 19, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

There's an automatic shot gun. :swoon:

Also I'm sorry blinding laser, you're actually a pretty good defensive perk. Two of my agents with it got ambushed, and basically ran away woop woop wooping while shining laser pointers at an enemy agent with an LMG blocking the exit.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah learning that cameras can cover your insertion point was rough, but it also taught me to actually look as you can see the camera before you deploy.

Just got an agent to 4 AP/2 FP with body engineering. He doesn't have any special perks for avoiding turn ends so he ain't completely broken yet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Someone on reddit bothered to write down what some perks do, numerically.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhantomDoctrine/comments/98cp8x/psa_perks_and_abilities_what_they_do_numbers/

I'm a idiot and just decided to crunch numbers. It looks like Damage Threshold reduces the damage before cover is applied. Tested by going hostile, killing any enemies that we could see, then putting our dudes in cover. When you click a gun you can then click on your own people to target them. Can't actually fire though which makes dancer harder to test for.

Low profile takes low cover from 50% to 60%, mild paranoia takes full cover from 75% to 80%.

Dancer I think is -5 to dodge cost with some napkin maths, so it kinda sucks rear end early when your dodge cost is ~35ish but is ok after heavy BE and get your dodge cost down to 15 before dancer.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 20, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The real loot is in the enemy agent's head, better bring it home with you.

Enemy recon usually have four pieces of loot for me, which is $2-4K at the moment, for piss all effort. Much different for assaulting a cell which is ~7 loot but loads more effort.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

HORMELCHILI posted:

The game needs to stress the importance of doing Tactical Recons for new players, missions with and without it are day and night

Uh... I would've thought it was apparent the second you do a tactical recon before a mission why you should do a tactical recon before a mission.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Wow that beta patch is live already.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Yeah sorry I thought there was a tutorial prompting you to build one but I guess not. I'd call that early game slump the learning curve. I'm excited and terrified to finish this game and head back on hard now that I have a clue what I'm doing. e: to be fair the game is not good at communicating how to be baseline effective. It's more like here are a whole bunch of mechanics, go wild, sort yourself out which is hard on new guys.

Also holy poo poo BE gets horrifying later on. Trying to work out which compound to apply to get X without locking you out of applying Y without really having a good idea of what the finished product will look like, the interface is horrible for it. Not to mention constantly stopping/starting the strat map every 2 hours to apply the next compound.

someone spreadsheet this out for me thank you in advance

e: someone posted a screenshot of ai "shooting through walls" on the latest patch complaining. The player was standing next to an open door looking through. holy poo poo people are loving idiots

more e: oh it actually shows you how much xp for killing dudes now, as opposed to the xp malus you got from stealth kills

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 21, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ok B.E. is cooked. Again running numbers because I need a life, but compound A blocking compound B only stops you from applying B. If you apply B then A, you get to keep the benefits of B and while having A. :downs:

Let's say you want compound C, and it requires A. A is blocked by compound B. If you apply B first, you are locked out of A and subsequently C. If you apply A first, you can get B or C in any order. C only checks that it's immediate requirement A is there.

So yeah hope you like careful order of operations to get the maximum benefit.

also it looks like sensory influences movement range and damage threshold, not respiratory like the stats tool tips says. Respiratory controls max awareness. Motoric controls action points, dodge cost, awareness regen. When you get enough motoric to get the next action point, your movement range takes a dump, apply even more sensory to build it back up while keeping the extra AP. Circulatory controls max HP and when you get it to 150, a second firepoint appears.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

You get a 'Remove All' compound later. It's $500 fun bucks and 24 hours to pump their stomach.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Thinking about making a gimmick karate man whose sole purpose in life is to karate chop everyone. At once.

I think it could be done by dropping stun grenades on groups, or having someone stun them up with stun rounds, then wade in with the free kill training and the + movement on takedowns. They'll probably need an ally to snap their fingers at them and refresh awareness.

anyhow if you want BE compound spoilers, this is the best chain I've theory crafted so far. It's kinda weird that it's literally the best, none of the other combinations I came up with have similar end stats. I'm in chapter 6 maybe early 7 by now. Apply in order because there's trickery to get past a couple of blocked compounds.

AMPEA, DXAMPEA, BMA, DHEA, TST, Anadrol, Bolasterone, Bolandiol, Cyclofenil, THG, EPO. You end up with 2 FP 4 AP monsters, but you will only have 4-5 base movement unless you have mobility perk. Suggest keeping noted best training, exertion, on everyone.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 21, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I finished the campaign, the last few missions were a cake walk. I kept expecting the difficulty to ramp right up but it never did. I always had the tools to just murder the poo poo out of everyone and give no fucks about stealth past chapter 4/5. Probably will do the third campaign on hard.

Stun rounds are stupid good. A bunch of times they saved me eating attacks just by doing tiny chip damage to an enemy and shutting them down, when I couldn't otherwise kill them. They are great for defensive overwatch too, where you're unlikely to kill your target before they move to hit you. They end up stunned pretty close to you. When you get the refresh an AP/FP on killing a stunned dude just lets you blow through a whole bunch of them, especially when you get stun darts for your sniper rifles. The refresh also lets you get around some turn ending attacks like full auto.

Also karate man where you stun a bunch of enemies and then dickpunch them to death is very possible. :getin: Inefficient but drat satisfying.

e: would also like to see a mod or campaign mode where you have more available early on, but all types of enemies are around too, with weapon pools trimmed down and rebalanced to be side grades with trade offs.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 22, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:shrug: The normal campaign ends on a big, "Yay we did it!!! OR DID WE DUN DUN DAAAAAH?" so I guess you'll get a bit more story. The third start, the Israelis, your character starts off hunting nazis in their spare time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gamerofthegame posted:

i really wish it had a multi-turn pathing preview

because it was hard for me to tell if I could jump out that window or not to escape after i merked a dude

Yeah the amount of times I've gone "I will blast this dude, jump out the window and run away through that door" only to find the window barred, or inexplicably can't be jumped out despite looking alright, and the door locked" is embarrassingly high. On the upside, it always lead to an interesting extract.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t feel weird about windows being barred or doors being locked because okay, it’s embarrassing for me, but I should have checked—but I’ve run into that “you can’t jump out of this window lol” or “you can’t walk on that roof lol” and that’s a little frustrating.

Yep.
Wonder what the AI improvements are in the latest patch. I speculate agents will no longer stop players disguised as glaziers.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Jesus. Some Island of Dr Moreau poo poo going on there. Did they get more than 2 firepoints?

e: really hope B.E. gets cleaned up, streamlined, and less obviously broken.

2nd e: the real hard mode is using clean agents.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Worth half xp to be clear. Late in the campaign enemies are worth utterly stupid amounts of xp.

This highly trained enemy agent that dodges everything? 100 xp. This mook in monster armour that's piss easy to double team? 12,000 xp.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pretty sure sure shot is bugged to do head shot levels damage with the sniper rifle, it's real powerful right now.

In other news, slowly playing a second campaign on hard. I had to assault an enemy recon without doing my own recon. No silencers, enemy agent in the open of a huge room with two guards with more outside. Both my agents had early lmgs.

Couldn't take down the agent, couldn't kill him in one burst, we would take heaps of damage if he or the other guards survived.

So I had one agent overwatch from where they could see everyone and the other point blank full auto the enemy agent from the other side. The agent survives that, runs to cover, gets gunned down half way, his two flunkies get gunned down running closer. Game owns, I love beating on the ai like that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Zane posted:

deffo use med packs whenever possible. they're kind of bullshit. if you come into a tactical mission with 20 health and use a medpack to get back to 80 health you will no longer have an injured status on the strategy map. that is a lot faster than health recovery in the infirmary.

edit: also, are 'compromised' identities as overrated as i think? you need to buy a new identity about every 2 missions. but as far as i can work out they're only relevant for avoiding aggro from enemy agents when you're disguised.

Haha I was wondering if that would work, thanks for confirming.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Weasling Weasel posted:

I bought this in advance because the actual spy theme is under-utilised and completely up my street, but because of the rather scathing RPS review of it I haven't played around with it at all until today. I'm enjoying what I've done so far, but what I have done so far is mostly re-start over and over and slowly improving what I'm doing as I get used to all of the opaque systems. BTW, I'm a fan of the combat so far albeit having seen so little of it because of how different it is to X-com. It's a different style of combat as you're balance focus and hiding as opposed to just flank forever and over-watch creep which you developed into with X-com after enough time. It's different enough that I don't know how to cheese it.

A couple of pointers I want to ask as I get into this with very little guide's available so far- I get the tactical upgrade which was the first thing I read on the thread and it made missions 100% easier. However, the first one I try it an informer rescue mission and it's easy as you can get 100% stealth it with the disguised agent by knocking everyone else and creeping, and I also picked off the assasin at the end by just hanging around the evac and quick sniping him with a grenade. Awesome drive by.

However, second game I've attempted I did the same thing, tactical prep and then assault, and the mission became assasinate the enemy agent instead. That became impossible because I hadn't got hthe upgrade to increase the number of field agents, and his HP was more than mine so stealth takedowns were off the table - I was able to take him out with a breach but then the remaining minions and police on the street gunned down my units before they could evac as they out numbered us 3 to 1 and I couldn't flee enough to get out of range of their pop shots. Any early tips for how you'd complete the mission? Did I set it up wrong, why was it an assinatate mission rather than just to evac the informer?

Also, what does working the investigation board actually do? The hours keep ticking down to something, but it doesn't seem to generate more intel, so I'm not sure what I'm waisting my agent doing here.

Agents working the investigating board solve pieces of intel, so they find the key words and make connections. Theoretically they can solve the files but they are so god damned slow I never saw that. Yes it's a waste.

For early missions, keep in mind I'm experienced, I only bring one disguised guy max, a lot of the time not even then, because they can't bring items. Bring med kits, any wounds healed before the end of the mission are like they never happened. Bring smoke grenades, they block sight in and out (still vulnerable to enemy grenades). Overwatch is insanely good the first two turns after combat is tripped, before mooks get their awareness up, or double up with two people doing overwatch, one strips awareness the other kills. Overwatch can trigger on multiple enemies depending on your weapon, one shot for each. The ai loves to flank and get closer, or get to better cover, sometimes it's better to over watch than shoot.

Also for early missions, try to have your two highest HP agents alternate going, better chance to out HP the enemy agent for a stealth takedown.

Fearless is probably the single best early game combat perk. Being able to dodge tank in the face of automatic rifles is a life saver.

Survivor on an already high HP agent is the best stealth perk, extra HP for stealth agent takedowns. Actor is second, and only second because a lot of missions you can scout around agents without disguises, let alone the actor perk.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

Perhaps not. I'll try that again when I'm back to base. Right now I'm stuck in a mission to stop some enemy agent who's about to increase Danger.

I was only allowed to bring 2 agents. I can kill the enemy agent and his henchmen using Breach, but then 5 enemies show up at my evacuation point + 2 guards already on the map turn hostile. How am I supposed to get out of a 2 vs 7 fight alive?

Frag grenades on the reinforcements, smoke grenades to hide your guys for a few turns, generous use of overwatch on their arrival to thin their numbers. Always expect some damage, so always bring some medkits. If you're not on hard, stealth out any other guards on the map first. Possibly wait for enemy reinforcements to arrive and then call evac somewhere else. Sprint past the enemy reinforcements into the escape zone if you have to, just smile, wave and leave. A compromised evac is only extra danger on your hideout, don't be afraid to play for time if it's a choice between compromised evac or getting wrecked.

e: contact tactics training for the blinding laser ability, it's small awareness cost and can shut down enemy overwatch.

My attitude towards the game shifted when I realised planning to 100% stealth missions is setting yourself up to get reamed in combat. Now I plan for combat every time, and if stealth doesn't break that's just swell. Frags and smoke are so god damned good, don't leave home without them.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I've discovered is that it can be handy to set up an agent on intel just so that they can do a bit of the legwork for you while you're still gathering info. You aren't going to solve them until you've collected all but maybe the last 1-2 pieces of intel, so you can pretty much leave a file alone until you reach that point - by having your agents work analytics in the meantime, they'll at least pre-solve a few of the connections for you by the time you do go in to resolve it.

For some reason it triggers me greatly how they set up the board, and how they rearrange any board you've personally worked on to be a cluster gently caress. I like to pull out intel one by one and make connections as I see them.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

Thanks! I'm playing on medium, but when I stealth out a guard beforehand, I get some message about a guard not reporting in?

Do I have to do these missions when an enemy agent is about to increase my danger? How much of a danger is danger? :D

Usually enemy recons will tell you how much they're going to increase your danger by, when you click on the icon on the map and you get the interrupt, tail, recon and assault options, above that is a red message saying how much danger you'll get if the mission completes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key here is that only enemy AGENTS go on high alert. Regular guards will continue their standard patrol routes. So once you deal with those agents there's no extra alarm or anything.

Yeah, this. I play on hard now and find stealth a lot more enjoyable because of it. I don't touch any civs or enemy guards until I've located the enemy agents and determined if I can take them down with stealth. If I can, fantastic, I do, and then I work on dismantling the other guards/civs that are protecting each other until I can do what I need to. If I can't, that's where it gets fun, and when I'm very glad I brought a bunch of grenades and guns bigger than smgs.

e: one thing with stealth is that it is extremely rare for a guard or civ to move from one room to another. At best an agent will patrol around a corridor or inside one particular room. Usually if you see a room is empty, it will stay that way and is safe to move in to and hide in.

e: another thing, line of sight range is fixed. It's 6 squares for mooks and 8 squares of agents. If you are 7 squares away from a guard, standing completely in the open, they won't see you. Learn their patrol routes and what they can see from there. You can often hide deep in rooms from guards patrolling outside.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Sorry to double post but I just noticed I had a 500mb update, but no patch notes on any of the usual channels. Anyone got any info about it?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

PirateBob posted:

What's the best perk out of max awareness +20 and damage threshold +6?

If it was a filthy disguise wearer I'd probably go with +6 DT. Every scrap of DT on those guys is useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Enemy agents always recognize your agents except for actors.

Like I would've thought they'd tie it to heat and blown identities, but no. By the same token you instantly spot enemy agents though.