Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Caros posted:

This game popped up on my youtube suggestions today, and I have to say, watching a preview of it, it looks surprisingly good. Deserves considerably more love imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGApiK0m4_o

Man, that looks really promising. You can absolutely see how you could potentially manage that whole mission entirely stealthed, provided you brought the proper tools. Making the shooting semi-deterministic looks like a really good decision, since you won't end up in a situation where your cover depends on not missing with a bunch of percentage-based shots in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress, the hype got me, downloading right now. :haw: Now to decide whether I should go CIA or KGB...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahahaha, the KGB start has you using a full-on brainwashed sleeper agent that's activated by a certain control phrase. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

When you get the option to have an agent start disguised, make sure to take it. That agent will spawn much closer to the objective, and they can only be uncovered by enemy agents. Otherwise they can trespass all they long right in front of cameras, soldiers, or civilians and nobody will ever care. Managed to pull off an otherwise potentially tricky mission by just walking right up to the target, bonking her on the head, and carrying her out without nobody being any wiser.

Of course, the very next mission (which appeared to be story-related) involved my safe-house being raided, meaning my three poorly-armed agents on site were supposed to fight through like 10 enemies towards an evac zone on the far side of the incoming attackers. No idea how I'm supposed to manage that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Caros posted:

Having played a chunk more of this, I think the single biggest series of complaints (LOS and enemy shooting range) are sort of impacted by the fact that it is 'not-xcom'. Both of the new Xcom games have ingrained in me a certain combat distance where I am and am not safe, usually a little bit more than a full screen. This game, however, allows you to shoot with rifles at 2-3 times that distance, which ends up throwing people for a loop because 'how the gently caress are they shooting me from there'.

Couple that with the fact that LOS gets blocked a lot less and you run into some situations like where I did tonight, where you are sure you're safe, only for the enemy to chip damage you from halfway across the map. Once I played a few more combats, and especially once I got access to some rifles of my own, the distance issues didn't seem so touchy. I've had to resign myself to the fact that you will take damage in combat in this game, but that it is okay. It is worth mentioning that if you heal up in mission, it appears to keep you out of the infirmary, unlike x-com.

Yeah, that's something that keeps throwing me as well. At this point it's kind of ingrained to me from XCOM that being at full cover and ideally higher elevation means the soldier is pretty much safe against all but the most dangerous enemies. So you can maneuver very aggressively as long as you've got cover at your destination, and if that allows a couple of enemies to shoot at that soldier that's usually no biggie as long as the trade-off is worth it.

Here on the other hand every single attack against you will cost you something. Even long-range, bad-angle shots against agents in cover (that you would just laugh off in XCOM) will at least cost you some Awareness and probably a not-insignificant chunk of HP. The name of the game is basically to not ever get shot at if you can at all avoid it. Which I suppose is actually kinda realistic and fitting with the theme, but at times the map and mission design do not really allow for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

"Stick a fork into us, we're done!" x 1000 :downs:

That said, I'm getting a better hang of the combat, mostly by realising that there's no need to actually kill most enemies out unless the mission specifically requires it. It's actually pretty fun and flavourful to blow up an enemy scout and then just blast a way right through to the evac zone, throwing grenades left and right and never stopping to fight it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say though, the binary dynamic of stealth combos very poorly with scripted alarms, like in the second (?) scripted KGB mission. "Oh, you took the long way around to stealth across this giant military base, focusing on evading enemies rather than killing them? Too bad, fulfilling your objective set off an unavoidable alarm and now everybody knows where you are, including your disguised infiltrator."