Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I hope I can one day contribute to this thread. For now, I am profoundly ignorant and live in an apartment.

I would recommend, though, taking one of those free online courses on permaculture.
(I took this one). I am not an expert or anything, but for a total beginner like me there were a lot of useful pointers on what to think about.

Where the house is, what orientation to the sun in summer and winter (useful both for plants and panels). What is the inclination of the terrain, what's uphill and what kind of runoff can you expect. Also tips on plants to mulch easily and water deposits, but I guess those are more dependant on the geography.

Anyway, that's all I can contribute with for now. My spouse and I are dreaming of our own garden with a wall covered with arctic kiwis and fruit trees, I bet this thread will be awesome and informative!

Long term question: anyone knows about the legal stuff surrounding exchanging seeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

friendbot2000 posted:

Hmmm, it depends? I think if you are a commerical farm is where you can get into trouble? But I am just guessing on the seed stuff. We got a couple goon lawyers in the Trump threads I might bug them for an answer now that you got me curious.

If someone could give some some info that would be great. I mean, I am a filthy euro so maybe I will have to ask on my side too. My question stemmed from the fact that in 2014 there was a legislative proposal to ban seed swaps, and make it so that seeds could only be exchanged commercially. I am happy to discover it was rejected, though I am surprised.
That will show me to google before asking!

Anyway this is an awesome thread.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

this broken hill posted:

anyway hello, my thing is ecology and i'm really interested in integrating ecology with agriculture. personally i'm focused on livestock farming rather than cropping or fruit, but i love to hear about anyone's experiences with growing anything, animal or vegetable, in balance with natural ecosystems. i also love swamps. i can tell you anything you want to know about australian swamps. please keep in mind i can only tell you about australian swamps, which will be of limited use because most of you aren't australian, but the problems they face (fertiliser run-off, drainage for development, general ecocide from all sides) are universal tbh
What kind of weaponry do you need to deal with the spiders? Are there specific swamp-spiders or are they just regular spiders all over?

Do you compost you a-hole?

More seriously tho: What is a good primer on swamps? Say I live beside one. How can I best respect it/utilize it/establish a symbiotic relationship? Besides becoming the swamp thing, not my fet.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Somebody on this forums thought it was poo poo.

Not a lot to go on, I know.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
This is a cool thread. Please don't let it wither.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Sweet, thanks for the rec!

Frankly, I think no one itt is on the brink of starting a homestead, it is, necessarily, a slow process. It would be great to just keep piling the resources.

On a different tack: is there any commercially available sterling engine that's worth it?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I still hold love and hope for this thread.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Would you do a bullet points summary?

I could do the same with other permaculture booKs.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
ThaNks! Thats awesome

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
So we have been thinking about it in a purely theoretical manner (since we don't have a house with a plot yet) but we thought this would make sense.

The house
- Step one: Make the house as passive as possible. This means good isolation, the works.
- Step two: solar panels and other means of making sparks.

The garden
Following the advice of so many permaculture books we will do sections of the garden individually, adding one a year. We plan to start with the three sisters. and add a plot or a tree a year. One of the first things will be a water tank connected to the roof gutters, to collect as much rainwater as possible.

I am enamored with the following system to avoid debris, dust and stuff in the water tank (besides obvs a filter).

We plan to work on the garden and the house in parallel, but the house part is divided in stages because those are some significant investments. And now that I think of it we'll have to find a way to avoid the solar panels interfering with the rainwater collection.

I guess that once I have a specific house in mind I will have questions about isolation and passivization, but I guess those depend heavily on the build of the house.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I have no knowledge of the things you said but now I have a ton of research clues! Thanks!

It's central yurop so I am going to have to deal with both extremes.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
All of thoae good points.

Of course I have zero idea about the soil (do I know anything really? I don't) bit at least I have identified a local lab that can do it. Same goes for the three sisters. I am just a desk jockey!

I was thinking lately, a makeshift aeroponics setup should't be enormously hard, right?

I am thinking, some old shelves, with one out of two stripped, some bottom containers for the liquids for the root tips to touch. Plants suspended with string. Assembly stuck to a sufficiently sunny wall, four transparent plastic walls, and a sprayer bottle for watering.

Any of you know stuff so you can tell me how wrong I am?

Oh and another thing: greening my building means nothing if the community is not on my side. What would you suggest to start with, once I find a place? I was thinking maybe a tool library, or maybe try to get people interested in perma (without bringing up "hey let's look at the abyss of climate change ans cry!" Ofc) through small projects...

How would you folks go about it?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I don't want this thread to die, although the current news cycle seems to be drowning even my thoughts.

So when I can I am going to get together with my dad (electronically) and try to have him come up with something easy to 3d print to hang plants from.

And that is my regularly scheduled screaming into the void.

How are you guys surviving.... whatever form of lockdown you are in, these days?

I'm doing good and had a ton of food anyway. Frankly, my worst problem under the circumstances is how unproductive I am with my homework and housework. Unstructured expanses of time yo. I am in Austria and so far the government response has been good AND they got very lucky.

One thing we have been doing is buying... "bonds?" from the local farms. All of the farms that had short chain schemes are hosed, since no one can go to the usual pickup places, so they have started asking for money, but in the forn of lax loans. Looks like a sort of bond to my ignorant eye. I hope they survive, their produce is amazing.

Anyway. So how are you guys?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hahaha, good point, gimme a second, I accidentally put some tech blinders on.

Thing is, to be completely honest, I am dumb and I am not sure I see what you mean. Why don't I tell you my mental image, and then you tell me yours, and I learn from it?

Base assumption is that I am going to have to work with a lot of makeshift stuff.

So some cheap shelves that I can wrap with transparent plastic to make a sort of greenhouse, that I will expose to the sun.

I am not sure how to hang the plants from there, and although making holes in the shelves seems like an option, it's an inflexible one: small plants will drop off, big plants might grow up and be stuck.

Could I lift the plants by hanging then from string, tied to the shelves or something else? Could judicious use of hooks avoid the grow and stuck problem?

The designing a piece for printing came from the consideration that that is something I can do now, and that plastic is pretty sturdy. Maybe there's something that would offer me covenience, like if I print a framework to hang the plants that's easier to move around/place on the shelves. (And because designing the piece would give me something to do together with my dad).

As it is, I'm a dude that knows nothing at all throwing ideas to the wall because I'm under lockdown.

If you could give me ideas that I can try later I'd be very happy. :)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Plants with their roots in the air are how aeroponics are done...?

Did I maybe not mention that? I am trying to find the easiest makeshift solution, and when I image search I see tons of big nice assemblies and no indication as to the point of contact between plant and structure, which is what I am trying to figure out.

As I said, please, I know I dont know so in every post I explain my mental image.

"Place them on the shelves", but HOW. Do I make the plants just lay there? Maybe that's the case, then describe it!

My man, dont just come here with a one liner. I do not have context to understand what you mean. Describe your mental image in detail. So far you haven't helped me any with your one liners.

Thanks (earnestly) in advance.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 31, 2020

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wow, when is the runoff for "most unhelpful poster 2020"?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Are you going to contribute or are you just going to poo poo the thread?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

BigFactory posted:

Your posts are completely confusing. Take the criticism or don't. If you started by clearly stating what you're trying to do you will get better results.

My style was poo poo, you had a good point. I will word better in the future. Thanks.

Mooooooooods! BigFactory Farming is being mean to me!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't know anything about aeroponics, but it sounds like tech bros 'disrupting' farming. What's wrong with good ole fashioned dirt? What's the supposed advantage of aeroponics vs hydroponics vs dirt?
Some posters commented on this already. On my case, I am also going to plant things on dirt and in pots, but I want to have redundancy. And the idea of simply passing once a day and spraying seems pretty attractive. Also sounds economical in work.

Thanks for the ideas. Specially the schematic, I hadn't thought of a cloth.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that was my first thought ttoo. Not a usamerican here, but by god have these forums provided with HOA horror stories.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
It sure is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Is there any proven resource on insulation for roofs? I might want to leave a roof in tip top condiition in the future and I wanna do it right.