Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If it's what I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure green air conditioning is some weird system that uses a wall of plants to do some evaporative cooling somehow. I'll be honest, I haven't looked at it any more than giving it a glance and thinking "Yeah, that seems like a mold and critter trap."

You can try to look up passive cooling designs. Things like an overhang that blocks the summer sun from getting in through your windows, but will let the winter sun shine in to help heat the place. As far as solar panel placement goes, are you dead set on an a-frame? You said it's because it will give you more room for solar panels, but if the angle is wrong and those panels aren't getting as much sun as they can, it defeats the purpose of more panels. At that point, it would be cheaper to place fewer panels at the correct angle. You can also place them in a clearing, or make a covered carport of something. Panels don't necessarily have to be on a house, right?

You mentioned a future garden, so you gotta mention composting. Any trimmings, non-animal food waste, sawdust, chuck it in the pile, and keep turning that poo poo. What about collecting rainwater? (Some counties/towns don't allow this so I guess be mindful?)

I'm very interested in what His Divine Shadow has to say about construction being the most carbon-release part of a house. I don't know the carbon footprint of building a house or anything like that. But now I'm wondering, what goes in to making batts of insulation vs the carbon cost of air conditioning energy saved from that insulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU