Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

We were talking about in the climate change thread about how individuals can build their homes and gardens to be more environmentally friendly and it was pointed out that we don't really have a thread for responsible home and land stewardship in a climate change age. So I thought DIY would be a good place to start and avoid the weird nihilism that seems to pervade D&D.

This thread is to discuss anything and everything to do with making your house and garden a different kind of green: water table management, installing solar panels, gray water recycling, anything you can think of to make humans not be quite such dicks to the planet we live on. Also relevant would be strategies for gardening in a post-climate change world, neat ways to save energy, and other cool kid stuff like that. I will be updating the OP and Second Post with particularly cool ideas and useful suggestions. This is one of my first threads so cut me a break if I gently caress something up.

As for myself? I am trying to buy a nice 5-acre plot in the next few years out in rural Virginia to build a small A-frame house on and have a bomb orchard with a garden and year-round greenhouse. I really want to make my home as sustainable and green as possible so I was thinking of doing strategic window placement for airflow in the spring and summer. Someone mentioned Green Airconditioning but I am not really sure what that is and it is on my list of things to research, any relevant info a goon could provide with either experience using it or if they are in the know would be appreciated. I chose the A-frame because it would leave more space for solar panels, though I am still tinkering with exactly how I could maximize the amount of sunlight hitting them because A-frame roofs are kind of steep so the setting sun might cause efficiency issues. For water retention, I will probably mulch over most of my land for the first couple of years to get a solid layer of topsoil to keep the moisture in the ground for planting my garden and orchard. There is a dump nearby that you can get free mulch from so cost won't be too much of an issue there, you just got to pick the bits of trash out every now and then :(

A lot of the details for my future home are still tentative, but I like the progress I am making so far. And for those curious, I am building a home instead of buying an existing home because well...Once I buy a piece of property I don't intend to leave it except in a Coroner's van. I want something I will be able to live in for the rest of my given days. One thing I would like to do as much as possible is cut costs down as much as I can with building the house so any advice would be pretty cool. Green building is expensive...

TLDR About This Thread
The purpose of this thread is to discuss how to live, build, and garden sustainably as individuals in a post-climate change world.

Good Topic Guidelines
Note: These are are just to get the conversation started for lurkers who might want to get involved in the discussion, but not sure how
1. Ways to deal with pests without using harsh chemicals
2. The science of ecology and green living
3. Neat building ideas and tips for green construction
4. Innovative ways to recycle common materials
5. Sustainable gardening tips
6. Good news in the Environment (It's a derail, but a nice one so I will allow it)
7. Sustainable animal husbandry tips
8. Green project ideas

As for Rules for the Thread:
1. Please do not come in here with "LOL, humans are gonna die because of our own hubris, why are you even trying?" There is enough of that in D&D and I would rather not deal with that level of nihilism in here.
2. This is a welcoming thread designed to help educate people on how they can be better land stewards so let's keep things positive and upbeat. I ask this as your friendly neighborhood robot who is totally not trying to lure you into a false sense of security for the A.I. Overlords.
3. Info dumps are a-okay in this thread. If you got experiences and lots of info about a particular eco-method, please :justpost:
4. You are welcome to share any projects you are working on in this thread.

General PSA
I am trying to attribute all info posted in the OP to specific posters. If I get an attribution wrong please let me know. I make mistakes despite being a very friendly robot and I want to make sure credit is given where it is due.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Camo Contructions
Here are some construction tips and information on how to build responsibly

A-Frames
  • A-frames are a bitch to heat / cool / ventilate right (you can get it right, just get an expert to can prove they've designed HVAC for an A-frame that worked well before). With metal roofing and EPS-insulated siding, it's not even like A-frames have a maintenance advantage against a more traditional home form factor. - Sourced By Potato Salad

Log Houses

Lime Library
Here are some book recommendations for those wishing to read more about green living and building:
  • Building Inside Nature's Envelope by Andy and Sally Wasowski
    This book is about the theory of how to use the existing natural features of a building site properly - Recommended by Liquid Communism
  • Farming the Woods: an integrated permaculture approach to growing food and medicinals in temperate forests
    "Great book, well worth the price, total waste of $$$ to me because it focuses on the E/NE continental USA and I live in BC. Be warned: This is not a pop farming book, it's a fuckin' textbook, there is science in there." - Recommended by Rime

Chloryphl Cuttings
Collated list of Green Gardening tips

Pastoral Pickle
Eco-friendly Animal Husbandry tips!
  • Guniea Fowl are incredible creatures that will decimate a tick, Japanese Beetle, and any type of bug that you don't want loving with your garden. They can be flocking birds or independent and get along quite nicely with other poultry species barring a few spats here and there between males. Chickens will actually hatch Guinea Fowl eggs! Be warned though that Guinea Fowl are very loud(They supposedly are better alarm animals than dogs) and it takes a lot of work to get them to roost where you want them too because unlike chickens they can fly quite well. They will often roost in trees, but with a lot of work and conditioning, you can get them to roost in a hutch if you make it inviting enough and raise them from eggs. Guinea fowl also lay eggs as a flock so you get consistent eggs from all of them at the same time. However, the eggs are smaller than an average chicken egg. 2 Guniea Fowl eggs = 1 Large Chicken Egg. - Sourced by Friendbot and ThisBrokenHill
Emerald Educationals
Free Permaculture Class
Learn about how your house location affects living a green lifestyle and strategies for living sustainably - Courtesy of Dawncloak

Chartreuse Critter and Creeper Control
Here are some neat tips and tricks for natural ways of managing pests and nuisance plants
  • Daffodils suppres some plants and grasses as well as keep away some types of critters. They also are low maintenance and look nice around your beds and trees. Tagetes like Marigolds are useful in keeping nematodes (roundworms) out of your land (Thread note: This can also help with vet bills for you goons that have pets. Deworming outdoor pets and animals can be a drain on the old bank account.) Tropaeolum minus is a great perennial plant that keeps bugs away and you can eat the flowers. Symphytum uplandicum or Russian Comfrey is useful for fertilizer (Thread note: DO NOT EAT THIS BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE LIVER DAMAGE) - Courtesy of Orion's Lord

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 21, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Huh. I actually didn't think of that. Does pressure treating wood diminish some of the carbon sequestrations? One of my archenemies is carpenter wasps, drat things are constantly burrowing into my apartment deck!

Speaking of wasp and beelike things, I need to do some research into companion cropping so I can maybe attract some bees. I have always wanted an Apiary because honey = power.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

What's your budget?

Well, my current plan is to get a loan for around 350K. The land prices around where I am looking range from 70-120K, which would leave me around 200-250K for building the actual house. Which would be anywhere from 1200-1500 Square Feet, though I haven't decided if I want a basement yet. I am not sure if that answers your question about budget or not.

I am trying to keep things small with a window for expansion because I loving loathe houses that have rooms that nobody ever uses (What the gently caress is with formal dining and living rooms?)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

You can try to look up passive cooling designs. Things like an overhang that blocks the summer sun from getting in through your windows, but will let the winter sun shine in to help heat the place. As far as solar panel placement goes, are you dead set on an a-frame? You said it's because it will give you more room for solar panels, but if the angle is wrong and those panels aren't getting as much sun as they can, it defeats the purpose of more panels. At that point, it would be cheaper to place fewer panels at the correct angle. You can also place them in a clearing, or make a covered carport of something. Panels don't necessarily have to be on a house, right?

You mentioned a future garden, so you gotta mention composting. Any trimmings, non-animal food waste, sawdust, chuck it in the pile, and keep turning that poo poo. What about collecting rainwater? (Some counties/towns don't allow this so I guess be mindful?)

I'm very interested in what His Divine Shadow has to say about construction being the most carbon-release part of a house. I don't know the carbon footprint of building a house or anything like that. But now I'm wondering, what goes into making batts of insulation vs the carbon cost of air conditioning energy saved from that insulation?

I was actually looking at these to maybe mount on my roof or something. From what I have read about them they are really handy at increasing efficiency of solar. I might put a couple on a pole out of sight if they don't quite blend with the house right. I do want things to look nice after all! My dream is to basically turn my property into the kind of place people would take a vacation in. Green plants all around!

As for the A-Frame. I am pretty sold on it. I really like the style and they are easy to build and maintain. Though, the carport is a good idea. I will prob build a detached one so I can put a workshop/potting bench in it and maybe attach my greenhouse to it as well so I don't waste space. I could put a bunch of traditional solar panels on that to power the electric car I am looking to get in the future.

I think the county I am looking at allows for it, but I should double check that. Thanks. I plan to have rain barrels set to slow drip hoses to water my orchard and external garden. Odds are I will have a well so I am working out how to dig ditches and stuff to keep rain runoff onto my property to keep my water table healthy. I am also looking into gray water recycling, but that can get expensive...

Dawncloack posted:

I hope I can one day contribute to this thread. For now, I am profoundly ignorant and live in an apartment.

I would recommend, though, taking one of those free online courses on permaculture.
(I took this one). I am not an expert or anything, but for a total beginner like me there were a lot of useful pointers on what to think about.

Where the house is, what orientation to the sun in summer and winter (useful both for plants and panels). What is the inclination of the terrain, what's uphill and what kind of runoff can you expect. Also tips on plants to mulch easily and water deposits, but I guess those are more dependant on the geography.

Anyway, that's all I can contribute with for now. My spouse and I are dreaming of our own garden with a wall covered with arctic kiwis and fruit trees, I bet this thread will be awesome and informative!

Long term question: anyone knows about the legal stuff surrounding exchanging seeds?

I will definitely look into those classes! And I will add them to the OP!

I am a apartment dweller too. I have an acquaintance that is growing Hearty Kiwis...or Hardy Kiwis...I can't remember. They take three years to produce properly but you get like an average of 3-5lbs of fruit a season from them. They are pretty cool!

The nice thing about Virginia is we have a pretty healthy water table and are pretty insulated from a lot of nasty natural disasters from our geography.

Hmmm, it depends? I think if you are a commerical farm is where you can get into trouble? But I am just guessing on the seed stuff. We got a couple goon lawyers in the Trump threads I might bug them for an answer now that you got me curious.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 10, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Thanks dude!

Holy poo poo, I just looked up the price tag on one of those smart flower things I linked earlier. It cost 22 grand for installation, I mean, it will eventually pay for itself, but holy poo poo that is a big chunk of change. I wonder if I can get any tax credits for using solar in Virginia?

So the average annual kwh usage in America is 10,766. The Smart Flowers generate 3,800 - 6,200 kwh annually. I would be on the lower end because I live in a temperate climate. Still, just one of these lowers my average energy usage by a third and is more efficient than static rooftop solar because it tracks the suns movement and cleans itself at night.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 10, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

If you don't want this to be a "dump ideas / experience / things you've read" thread please say so :)

Also, are you licensed to operate a nuclear reactor in the United States :jeb:

Oh, be my guest! This thread is all about dumping info for how to make your home more eco-friendly and fielding questions on green living.

You make a good point about heating and cooling A-Frames. I will definitely have to consider that. I have always loved the Craftsman style too. It would give me more options for my study/library!

I will definitely look into geotherm heat pumps too!

I am saving up pretty aggressively for my dream house here. I do not want to spend the rest of my life paying off this loan so that heat pump thing might be just the ticket to easy heating.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 10, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Haha good news is always appreciated in this thread!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

If you're thinking permaculture, you want a basement. The ground as a heat sink is great. Root cellars are a thing for really good reasons.

An interesting book I read on another goon's recommendation is Building Inside Nature's Envelope by Andy and Sally Wasowski. It's got a lot of good ideas for the theory of how to use the existing natural features of a building site properly.

Awesome! I am going to see if that book is in my local library.

If I was to build a basement it would likely be primarily for storage and I might finish it into guest rooms or something. I am pretty minimalist. The only "things" I collect are books, but I plan to build a library to store all those.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Loving the responses to the thread so far. I was away all weekend watching the Perseid meteor shower on top of a mountain so wasn't able to check the thread. I took my 8-year-old niece up there to learn about science!

I am going to do some digging into whether or not you can pressure treat the wood in log houses. Seems like an interesting research question. Thanks for the info dump on Log Houses Divine Shadow!

A point I want to bring up to people who want to do composting, if you have a neighbor with horses or even better a horse farm nearby they will gladly give you have poo poo for free as they usually are drowning in it. It makes EXCELLENT fertilizer just mix that in with topsoil and you are good to go. Also, you can make quick and easy leaf mulch every autumn by grinding up the leaves you rake in your yard. Or better yet, go steal bags of leaves people leave on their curb for pickup. There are a bunch of ways to grind it all up, my parents use a John Deere tractor attachment because they have 10 acres, but small batches can be down with a simple lawnmower.

Rime posted:

Cultivating worms is good and essential for rich loamy soil.

Bathouses are your friend for keeping local bug levels down.

At least one beehive will significantly increase the productivity of your garden and are relatively low maintenance once you get the hang of things.

YES! Bathouses are great! One thing you need to be aware of is to always get ones with shingles and slanted roofs. Otherwise, you end up replacing it in 2 years from weather damage. Bats even eat invasive species like Japanese Beetles, Harlequin Bugs, and other nasties that eat your plants.

The best way to grow a nice big crop of worms for your land is to go to a bait shop and get a bunch of live ones, fill a wheelbarrow full of dirt and put your coffee grounds in that poo poo. Worms loving love coffee grounds and will get nice and fat and have lots of babies. Basically, make yourself a worm gently caress-pit. Once you get enough, just release them into your garden and let em do their thing. European goons need to watch out for the Hammerhead Worm . They are causing all kinds of trouble in European farming and eat all the other worms :(

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Thread update: I added a bunch of stuff to the OP, feel free to comment if the format looks weird so I can fix it to be more accessible. Or if there is a neat tidbit I missed. I may be a robot, but I am trying my best to be only human.

Also, I am trying to source information to the poster so if I get an attribution wrong please let me know. I want to give credit where credit is due.

Note: I am writing up all the housing info, it is just going to take some time to format it the way I think looks good. :)

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 13, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Found a neat list of tips for sustainable gardening from a...well, let's just say I am taking most of these with a grain of salt because I am very wary of new age bullshit that poses as "green living". I am particularly interested in the section on integrating livestock with your gardening. Check it out: 82 Tips for Sustainable Gardening

If it passes muster in the thread I will add it to the OP.

quote:

Integrating Livestock in Your Gardening
25. I integrate my farm animals by using their manure and bedding for mulching. I feed weeds and extra food that is not able to be used by humans to the animals. There is no waste at my home — something always eats it, and then that something is either eaten or contributes to the food cycle. I also use some of my chickens to eat my squash and potato bugs. They are delighted at the treats! — Laurie, Vermont

26. I’ve trained my goats to pull a cart and supplies. I make completely organic fertilizer and buy the ingredients in bulk, which cuts down on transit. — Lauren, Washington

27. We have 240 square feet of composting area to which we add chicken poop. The chicken area is expanded into the garden at the end of the season for cleanup. — Angela, Indiana

28. Forget the old saying about goats eating the stickers — use pigs! They eat the vines from the ground up, eat the roots, and then till, leaving you with nice ground. — Lisa, Washington

29. I plant some crops for the chickens (Swiss chard is a good one), and in return I get eggs plus manure for compost. I’ve also hauled loads of autumn leaves into the chicken yard to be turned over, scratched into bits and fertilized through winter, and to then be worked into beautiful compost in spring. — Lori, Oregon

30. Cows, goats and sheep eliminate the need for a mower, and guinea hens eat up the insects in my garden. — Kamia, Missouri (Thread Note: I know for a fact that the lawn mowing bit is bullshit in regards to goats. They are very capricious and will likely not eat what you want them too....also, goodbye flowers and bushes!)

31. I use ducks for pest control and horses for lawn mowing. — Cindi, Pennsylvania

32. Try putting your compost pile in your chicken run — let the chickens do the breaking down and turning. — Joy, Iowa

33. My compost pile is enriched by rabbit droppings. I also use compost as a worm bed for chicken feed and for fish bait for my grandkids. — Doc, Ohio

I was planning on raising chickens or guinea fowl once I got my soil ready for planting(which in all honesty is probably a 2-year investment, my dad is a dirt farmer and it is a looooong process to get rid of Virginia's lovely red clay). I was wondering if I should let the chickens run wild through the garden(it will be fenced off to prevent any critters from absconding with my chickens). My chief concern is spreading disease by ingesting food from the garden. I haven't done a ton of research on that, but it is something that sticks out. Yes, I know you can wash things, I am just not sure I want to take the risk. I am curious about is just how effective chickens/guniea fowl are at eating insects in a garden.

Edit: I am also now wondering if guniea fowl and chickens are okay living in the same coop or if they need different living spaces...off to google

Edit Edit: Wow...Guinea Fowl are kinda awesome

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 17, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Banana Man posted:

I was always interested in the techniques used on this site: http://www.calearth.org/

Basically use large socks filled with dirt from the site of the construction; overall I'm assuming its a significant drop in costs to build a home carbon wise.

Or earthships, basically a bunch of bottles/tires/old windows salvaged from junkyards and slapped together with concrete:

That looks super cool and like something from a Science Fiction movie! We absolutely could be using more recycled materials in housing construction. I am going to try to build my house with recyclable materials in mind, but at the same time, Spray Foam insulation is just tooooooo handy to not have in your house.

this broken hill posted:

yes! in australia we have microbats (they're as cute as they sound) and they're always on the lookout for cosy new hollows. there's one species that usually nests in the underside of a scrub wren's nest, but a friend of mine left a mop standing on her balcony for a few days and a colony of microbats decided to nest inside the head of the mop, where they thrived

I am trying to get my parents to put up bat houses in their barn. My dad has an RV Barn(something that I am not too happy about because RV's are not very green, but he tends to live green and simple and is a good steward of his land so I give him a pseudo pass on his indulgence. The guy hasn't done a thing for himself in 30+ years. Still conflicted over it though.) I gave them a multichambered bat house for Fathers Day and am doing research on the best place and conditions to put it up in his yard.

this broken hill posted:

horse poo is excellent, as is cow and also poultry. chickens eat everything, not just grass, so they have all sorts of interesting minerals in their poo poo that herbivores don't process as much of. their manure is very high in phosphorus, among other things

My Papa had an enormous garden in California and would go to a horse farm with his pickup and I will never forget how they practically begged him to take more poo poo off their hands. The dude was like, offering to fill up his truck too and drive it over to my Pop's house just to offload it. Livestock produces an unearthly amount of poo poo, it is kind of impressive.

I was thinking of having the chickens run free in my garden to fertilize things, but I am worried about them eating my produce and the increased infection vector of them being around my food sources. Other than that I might make their pen have access to my composting heap so they can fertilize the compost instead of giving them access to the garden. Any tips on that Broken Hill?

this broken hill posted:

guinea fowl are my favourite creatures on this green earth! i kept a mixed flock with no problems, the guineas roosted in a tree at night (their choice, they just decided to do it one day) and the chickens slept in the henhouse, and during the day they sometimes foraged together and sometimes in separate species groups. the roosters would go a bit mental when the hens went into season and a few times one of our roosters fought the chooks for good nesting sites, but there was never any blood and they seemed to sort it out themselves. they're so compatible that i gave a clutch of guinea eggs to a broody chicken and this happened

be warned, they are loud. you will not believe how loud until you hear the whole flock going off at once. it's incredible

I heard that Guinea Fowl are really loud, but on 5-10 acres I shouldn't bother the neighbors too much. I am more concerned about them foraging too far and getting shot by my neighbors or hit by cars :( Do you have any tips on how to keep them from roosting and foraging too far from home Broken Hill? My plan was to bond them to chickens and make their house super comfortable so they will roost there on the regular. Ah yeah, I read that chickens will sit on the Guinea Fowl eggs and hatch them like they would their own! It is super cool that happened to your flock!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

mundane haircut posted:

For small spaces a "chicken tractor" could work (a moveable chicken run that you shift where you want the chickens to munch and rummage). They seem small, though. If I had the space I might divide the garden into three or four sections fenced off and get some crop rotation going with the chickens being allowed in the fallow "field" for the season.

I was looking at the chicken tractor method actually, but this past weekend I was going around looking at properties and I am much more drawn to more mountainous topography with a large number of trees. That is why I was leaning towards Guinea Hens because they roam and then come back to their roost. I am "designing" a roost that has all the comforts of "home" to see if I can make it so they stay there instead of where I can't keep track of them. I am aware I might lose a couple of hens on the property due to predators from this method, but foxes got to eat too. I might merge chickens with Guinea Hens and have them flock together. That way the chickens can hatch the Guinea Hen eggs if I manage to lose all of them in a freak accident :(

BigFactory posted:

This is quoting kindof an old post, but there’s not really any grant money out there for solar installation any more. You can check with your state but it’s been years since that was a thing.

Even before siting is looked at, the #1 most important thing to investigate is whether the power provider in the municipality you plan to build in will buy electricity from you or not. They aren’t required to, and if it’s true muni power they usually won’t.

If you can’t spin your meter backwards, you’re looking at battery storage.

That is kind of unfortunate that there isn't a grant or tax incentive to install solar panels. I think if that was passed we might see a huge spike in people buying solar and help wean us off gas and fossil fuels. Yeah, I have to find a property I want to buy before I jump into whether or not to do battery or power buyback. It is definitely something that needs to be on my mind so thank you for reinforcing that.

One thing I am keenly worried about is property taxes as that area of knowledge loving mystifies me on a spiritual and mental level. I am still trying to calculate what my property taxes would be at my end goal of the house, greenhouse, 2car garage with workshop, fish pond, and other assorted property improvements. I wonder if landscaping figures into tax calculations?

Also, no worries about quoting old posts. This thread moves slowly so there is zero reason to fret about such things. I accept and encourage all input :)

One thing I have been considering is lining the road into my property with trees, that way the runoff from the road gets soaked up by the trees, prevents erosion so I don't have to put so much gravel down, and having Crepe Myrtles line the drive into your home is just....too loving picturesque to not consider. They bloom multiple times through the year and are hardy swamp trees so they thrive in Virginia weather. I might still put gravel down once they are planted though just to have an added safeguard against erosion, I might just put azaleas around the trees to further make things awesome.

The odds are I will have a fairly long driveway into the house so I am trying to think of the best longterm way to make a non-asphault driveway. I love permeable driveways, but the length will get costly. I do know that I do NOT want asphault or a dirt road. Asphault will be a nightmare to constantly upkeep and the mud from a dirt road will be an equal nightmare because I categorically refuse to get a non-ecofriendly vehicle.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Domestic solar is pissing into the ocean as far as getting off fossil fuels for power generation. Still takes nearly as much energy (usually from conventional power generation) to produce the panels as they will generate over their lifetime, along with rare earths.

Municipal wind, water, and nuclear are the solution.

Yeah, you have a point about that. I was more hoping that more people getting personally involved in green energy might change the conversation to be more anti-fossil once they see the reductions in their bills and stuff.

this broken hill posted:

i am 100% in favour of guinea fowl as a catch-all solution to all your poultry problems. unless, and i cannot stress this enough, you live in a built-up area and want to remain friends with your neighbours.

a few years ago i was breeding them and i made a thread about keets that may be helpful if you're thinking about getting some (helpful not because i share any advice that's remotely useful to anyone, but because it will make you go from "maybe" to a definite "yes")

I am going to read the poo poo out of that thread my friend. I am looking into buying 5-10 acres so no worries about having neighbors who will burn down my house etc. Also gonna post so many goddamn "No Hunting GTFO my property" signs on my acreage and turn any unused bits into a nature preserve because I am a goddamn male Disney princess that makes friends with chipmunks and trees n poo poo.

Queen Victorian posted:

I think you need compacted river gravel (the kind with the small rounded pebbles - makes pretty attractive roads) and stone-lined drainage ditches and possibly culverts (depending on terrain) to manage runoff. Put some gravel down along with appropriate drainage, steamroll it, then when it gets too muddy/starts washing out, put down more gravel. Repeat a few times over the course of a few years and eventually you'll have a nice, firm, not-muddy gravel road.

We went through this process with the gravel road at my family's ranch. Road has been solid - no new gravel needed in a decade or two.

Thank you for this! I will definitely look into that. I was thinking of collecting large river rocks and lining the ditches with them and put in the tubing to divert excess runoff to plant beds. One frustrating thing I am going to have to figure out is how to put in a drain field for a septic tank system without having to clear-cut any trees. There is nothing that breaks my heart more than clearcutting. I legit look away out of guilt when I see it on the highway.

Speaking of septic systems. Does anyone have any good resources on the best way to maintain them and minimize the amount of cleaning they need? I dislike the idea of having a truck take away all the waste and dumping it god knows where. I have always wondered if you could just nuke them with that bacteria that eats all that crap. I was also toying with the idea of an experiment with a "plastic septic system" where I get my hands on those bacteria that eat plastics and see if I can have a mini plastics disposal site. It is a weird idea that probably won't work, but one that I want to tinker with. I was thinking of using to dispose of cellophane and other non-recyclable plastics.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I have been so busy following politics and canvassing for the 2018 Midterms that I completely forgot my own drat thread. Sorry folks!

This isn't quite a sustainable strategy for the home article, but it was posted in the Climate Change thread and I found it to be very interesting regarding alternative power storage.
https://qz.com/1355672/stacking-concrete-blocks-is-a-surprisingly-efficient-way-to-store-energy/

One issue I foresee regarding my personal homesteading plans is internet access. If was to move to the mountains of Virginia, reliable internet access could be...spotty and my job would be working remotely. Any goons have any personal experience with satellite internet service?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

I dont know about satellite stuff, but I have looked a few times at long range wifi setups- 3/4g is too spotty to be reliable where I farm but I'm within a mile or two of my mother in laws place which has a reasonable connection- it's pretty cheap and easy if you can stick up a pole at each end with directional antenna with line of sight, homebuilt solutions seem to be able to reach several miles.

What kind of upload/down speeds do you get with that setup Dan? Do you need a cooperating partner to set this up?

I legit have no knowledge of directional wifi stuff.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hmm, I will have to look into the cost/benefits of all these. I have to wonder how resilient fixed wireless solutions are in weather events and high wind conditions(The image I have in my mind is equipment on top of a pole).

It is ridiculous how highspeed internet has not been rolled out to rural areas though I think I remember seeing something Google was trying to do with balloons that created wireless infrastructure?

Anyways, I have been trying to limit food waste as much as possible, but because I live in an apartment I can't compost so any food that does start to go bad I end up having to toss. I have already started shopping weekly instead of meal-planning for multiple weeks, but I am looking to try to narrow the waste gap even more. Any tips?

Also, how does one get their hands on fruit tree seeds? Like, most fruit trees are grafts so they are stunted for easier picking, but I am not sure I want to do that. There is something to be said about being able to sit under a big apple tree ya know? Plus, I want to be able to feed local wildlife with the fruits I can't eat. I also worry about a lot of the corporate distributed seeds because I am naturally suspicious of agricorps.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 19, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sorry for letting this thread wither on the vine. A lot of poo poo has happened in life lately that left me with no space in the brain box for things.

The good news is I am getting married and have fallen rear end-backward into homeownership! The bad news is that OH MY GOD I HAVE A HOUSE NOW AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So I have been planning my yard and am just beating my head against the wall because the Pandemic closed the dump(free mulch!) so I can't get the mulch needed to get rid of this accursed Virginia Red Clay. So my yard plans are set back by possibly a year. And well...my full yard plan is basically a 2-year mulching regime followed by FINALLY starting to plant stuff.

So far my garden plans are as follows:

- My new house sits at the bottom of two hills. I think it's like...a full acre? possibly 3/4ths of an acre. Anyways, because it sits at the bottom of these two hills we get quite a bit of standing water pooling about and just loving LOL if I am going to finish the basement without doing water abatement stuff. So my idea is to terrace the hills and plant my garden there and at the top plant bushes for a privacy screen from neighbors(and their drat kids rollerskating on my grass), likely Azleas because they are Virginia Natives and my favorite.
- Once the terrace is done I will put a trellis around the entrance to my shed and plant two Hardy Kiwi's. They aren't VA natives, but they will survive the winter and produce a fuckton of fruit once they start producing.
- Thinking about planting a Paw Paw tree. It's a VA native fruit tree and the name amuses me
- I want to replace the lovely wooden deck and replace it with a stone patio
- Plant all sorts of veggies in the terraced gardens and do some companion planting with herbs so I don't have to use pesticides
- my parents's neighbors have horses so I have unlimited fertilizer for the garden, though the HOA might have a problem with that. I think I can get away with it if I bury the horse poo poo so it doesn't smell, but that remains to be seen.

Later on I will take some pictures of the prospective land so the thread can see the "Before" retrospective and give whatever pointers they have!

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 30, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There Was Time Now, so the garden of Chidi House, the humble abode that only gave us stomachaches for a year and a half, is springing up nicely.

- VEGETABLES: Nah man. The possums go for them first. We gave it a go, and Henry got to them. (All possums are named Henry.)

- FRUITS: Blackberries! You don't have to do much with a blackberry bush. Plant it and ignore it. Summer's gonna kick rear end.

- LANDSCAPING: Oh my goodness, the flowers. My wife has taken to the Philadelphia Flower Show as an annual pilgrimage with friends, and she comes back with many things, including tulips so large and jagged before they pop that I started calling them The Audreys. Also, if you just wanna plant something and ignore it? I suggest corn flowers. They get up to your ribcage in height without too much effort, and they spread. Oh my god, the volunteer cornflowers are taking over my street. The neighbors don't seem to mind, and we're laughing because Johnny Appleseed sounds cool and Johnny Cornflower sounds like a bootlegger from Windsor, ON.

- TILLING: Chidi House is a hundred year old house, and until two years ago, it sat vacant for decades. That means the neighborhood kids screwed around in it, busted out every window, and I cannot explain to you how many condoms were found. So a big part of the rehab project has involved taking a hand tiller - look, I'm young and I don't feel like gasoline powered anything - and digging up glass from every square inch of our property. "Bumper crop of glass this year, honey," we'd yell to each other from time to time. Also found: shards of 50's era ceramics, old nails, an entire hose, and what appears to be a set of marbles. Our theory is that the raised flower bed has a leveled surface underneath, and kids used to play marbles there. We might learn how to play marbles. Why the gently caress not. There Was Time Now.

- THE ACCURSED BLOODY LAWN: We don't want sod. Sod is for shitters, man. But we don't want to do weed killer, because weed killer might hurt our cat. So our lawn is...well, it's more weeds than grass, and it looks for all the world like the fully grown weed clumps from Animal Crossing. We broke down and bought a push lawnmower - again, no gas powered anything - and it does the job for everything that isn't a certain height and thickness. Including the volunteer tulips. Got a lithium-battery-powered weed whacker, which seemed fairly intuitive, but I poo poo you not, the instructions Makita provided straight up skip steps for assembly. They include parts, don't tell you where they go, and you stare at the instructions and ask why the gently caress things don't go together. Anyway it all works now. Mostly. The weed whacker runs forwards and backwards, but if I run it backwards, the head falls off and my wife falls over laughing. I live in a sitcom. I live in pre-Urkel Family Matters. (If you've never watched Family Matters pre-Urkel, I recommend it. It's a very different show.)

- SOLAR POWER, MOTHERFUCKER: The District of Columbia is a great place to get solar. My best friend and I got solar power at the same time; she lives in Alexandria, I live in DC. She's paying something like $22,000 over a 20 year loan for her solar panels; I'm paying...well...nothing. No charge for installation. DC really, really wants you to go solar, to the point where solar companies can go door to door and give you the easiest sell of all time; they get the subsidies from the city to build it, and I pay the solar company $30 a month for the power. I also pay Pepco, the local power company, for what non-solar power we use. Last month, despite both of us being out of work and using a fair bit of electricity? $3.50. Look into your local/state solar situations, because solar might just be the Right loving Answer.

- THE CITY IS HERE FOR YOU TO USE: DC also gets aggressive about water. If your land isn't permeable, you get a massive charge on your water bill, the proceeds of which goes to Chris, The Boring Machine, which is currently boring a hole across the city to help clean/filter garbage out of the Anacostia River. You can call the water company to bitch about it, and they'll reassess your land. "Oh," they said, "You can have way more permeable land than this, check out these city programs!" My friends, the District of Columbia will subsidize landscapers to plant rain gardens, "bayscape" (aka Chesapeake Bay-native plants that are super thirsty), and full on trees. You pay $50 for the gardens, $100 for the trees, $50 for rain barrels, and all of this, if you report it to the city water department, grants you credits to your water bill.

Home ownership in a super expensive town is an adventure, but as long as you aren't scared of black people, you can live quietly, nobody bothers you because you're not a loving cop, and there's room to grow. Literally. The eastern tip of DC used to be all farm land. As my neighbor said, "Wait until you see how good the soil is!" Then she stole a bunch of our tomatoes. It's okay though. We had plenty.

Dude, I am doing the best I can to see if I can pressure my state government to take what DC is doing in regards to "paying" people to clean their poo poo up because that would be frigging awesome to see happen across a whole state. I know Dominion Power is trying to get it's greedy paws into solar power like the foul botchlings they are so it's anyone's guess how that's gonna play out.

One of my favorite things the local dumps in Virginia do is they give away the mulch they make by grinding up the yard waste for free as long as you can carry it away. Sometimes if you catch the guys working the equipment at the right time they will fill up your truck/trailer in one fell swoop with their earthmover equipment. You have to pick some of the garbage out of the mulch, but it beats the massive price tag from places like Home Depot and stuff so I will happily pick out the bits of plastic for what I am paying for it!

Have you considered looking into some ground cover plants to replace sod and weeds?? Things like ferns or common blue violets.

Here is a cool list of Virginia Natives(Likely DC Area natives too) : https://choosenatives.org/articles/plant-native-ground-covers-make-america-green/

I also found a cool article about getting rid of your lawn and planting cool Virginia native plants: https://www.arlingtonmagazine.com/lawn-gone/

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Okay, so as I mentioned before I kinda fell rear end-backward into getting a house. Upon getting engaged my fiance's mom decided that she would move up to Maryland to live with her boyfriend so the question became what to do with the house? My fiance has Crohns disease so she can't exactly afford to live elsewhere due to medical bills so she still lived there. I brought up...well, why don't we take over the mortgage? And well, we are not the proud owners of a 4 bedroom/2 1/2 bath home and there is just....so much I want to do with it. But first...the yard because of all the things I want to do that is the cheapest and takes the most time to get started. I will probably be posting kitchen stuff later on when we secure the funding to remodel the kitchen.

Anyways, very little mulching has actually been done and any goon who knows Virginia knows all we got is loving red clay for soil. That just simply won't do for the jungle I plan to create lol.

Mailbox and attached yard

Our property line goes all the way out to the wooden fence on the left. I am thinking of mulching over that entire area for the next year or so, alternating bark and leaf mulch, then turning the soil after a month or two. I am still putting together my plan for what I want to plant in this area though. I know that the side yard next to the house I plan to put raspberry bushes and maybe some blueberries along the fence line. I haven't poked around in that access covering to see what that actually is so what I plant around it will be dependant on that I suppose. But this area gets a LOT of water buildup when it rains so I want to put some thirsty plants there to prevent that from seeping places I don't want it to go.

Rest of Front Yard

The rest of the front yard is just....sod. Sod as far as the eye can see. The azaleas in the front are real puny and I can't tell if it's because the front yard is primarily shady, there are no nutrients in the soil to spur growth, or they just get cut back to within an inch of their lives all the time. I want to expand the tree bed and ring it with rocks( to contain ground cover) and plant some pretty ground cover that isn't a vine. I also want to extend the mulch line to the street and plant more flowering bushes or thirsty plants. There are some boxwoods behind me in that picture that I am going to tear out because I loving hate boxwoods. We also want to get some ferns to put around the Bleeding Hearts so they have some company.

I am a little curious what the thread's thoughts are on a driveway replacement option. The front yard is in near-constant shade so in the winter it ices over pretty hard and I am uncomfortable with the idea of using salt all the time because I don't like the idea of it running off into places it shouldn't.

Side Yard

These pics might be a little repetitive and I apologize for that! Anyways, only one thing to say about this place: BERRY BUSHES! The side yards and back yards get oodles of sunlight so they are perfect for berry bushes! Still haven't figured out an attractive way to protect the berries from critters, but odds are I will share the wealth and let the critters have their share

Shed/Mudroom

Around the door I am going to plant 2-4 hardy kiwis on an overhanging trellise and be swimming in fresh fruit once they start producing. The wooden deck is going to go and I am probably going to grade the incline myself with mulching until I can get the funds together to put the stone patio in. One thing I have been pondering is how well the hardy kiwis will do if I put in a permanent stone walkway/ramp(for the wheelbarrow) to the shed.

Back Yard

The property line goes all the way to the rear neighbors fence. I was thinking of terracing the hill and putting my vegetable garden in the tiered planting terrace. Then putting flowering bushes along the edge of it to give the yard and house a natural privacy screen. Not sure exactly if it will look how I imagine it in my head, so critiques welcome. I was going to make the terrace go all the way up to the "future" patio line. and raise it up by a foot or so, that way the lip at the bottom is a bench of sorts. I was thinking about making the terrace go all the way to the end of my house, but that leaves a question of what to do on the other hill.

Side Yard p2

I haven't the foggiest what to do here. Do I grade it flat and put in another vegetable garden? Rain gardens? do more of my terrace farm? I suppose it depends on what the HOA will let me get away with on that front haha. But one thing is for sure, I want to get rid of this loving sod because I don't want to mow all this goddamn grass.

Again, open to suggestions and comments on how to better make use of water resources available to me. If you think you have a better idea for parts of the yard, go ahead and sling em out. We are in the planning stages right now and its a blank canvas that I hope to turn into a lush greenspace full of tasty fruits/veg and beautiful flowers

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

Yeah, that was my first thought ttoo. Not a usamerican here, but by god have these forums provided with HOA horror stories.

Yeah, our HOA is spoken of in hushed tones in Virginia as being one of the most strict in the state haha. They friggin banned rollerblading and skateboarding. I have half a mind to run for the board and become a cool kid insurgent candidate!

I found a loophole for the terracing. By HOA bylaws, retaining walls are permitted so I got my in there because the "terrace" is just a series of retaining walls dontcha know!

They dont have any ban on vegetable gardens, but they used to so thankfully that got overturned. I think if I explain to them that the mulching is to make the yard lusher they might make an exception there. I just loving HATE sod and want to not have to mow as much lol.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think terracing the back yard would be a good idea (or just do sort of raised beds, but like stairs instead of actually doing much digging?). I don't think your soil is as bad as you think-just look at all those big, happy, mature trees! Virginia red clay isn't bad soil at all, it just needs a little organic matter and nitrogen and you have to be a little careful about digging in it when it's really wet.

Your irises look very happy! Those may well be dwarf, subdivision landscaping azaleas that aren't going to get very big ever. As you seem to be interested in native plants, the mostly evergreen azaleas common in the south aren't actually native-they're native to Japan. However, they do very well here and aren't invasive and have a long pedigree of use in the south, and honestly might as well be native. There are tons of similar plants from east asia that do very well here that got separated from their american cousins by the ice ages and continents moving around etc. There are also native azaleas, but they're mostly deciduous and substantially more particular than the indicas you currently have. I like the idea of blueberries in the low spot by the driveway-they are a handsome and tasty plant.

Unless everything is way huger than it looks in the pictures, I don't think your lot is 3/4 of an acre. It's maybe a quarter of an acre, judging by the pictures? An acre is ~44,000 sq. ft if that helps. It doesn't really matter, I just didn't want you to start dumping lime on your yard as if it were 3/4 acre and kill everything or something terrible.

I did not know that about azaleas! Thank you friend! Tell me, do you have any suggestions about hardy kiwis? VA winters get collllllld so I was hoping to get an perrenial that can survive the winters and settled on those

One thing I am trying to puzzle over is how to do some sustainable water management to limit the water needed to water my future gardens. I was thinking of hiding rain barrels from the HOA somehow or catching run off from the roof(not sure how safe that is for plants though). I just need to disguise it from nosy neighbors. We do live in Virginia so we get a substantial amount of rain every growing season, but with climate change its anyone's guess.

And lol I am TERRIBLE at gaging spacial distances like acreage so you are prob right haha.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 1, 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

he1ixx posted:

I also should note that the taxes are high because we're building an expensive house on 14 acres of extremely coveted area of town. I'm sure most properties aren't that high in Stowe (but they still aren't cheap by any stretch).

I will write up another post on this because its very pertinent to the thread of building green but building a netzero home means that a lot of the infrastructure of the house is higher cost than normal. There are systems in house that don't exist in "normal" homes. Triple glazed German windows, electric car hookup, Solar panels, HRV/ERV (air recyclers), highly efficient heat pumps, induction cooktop, and others all cost more than their more common versions. Plus the materials we are using are all sustainable, local and non-poisonous (cellulose insulation in super thick walls). I'll post more on that later. It's super interesting.

Please do this! I am looking into shooting for a netzero home in...the suburbs of all places so any info you give helps me too!

I will be posting my yard plan scribbles on graph paper soon as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Runoff from the roof is what usually goes into rain barrels. It's rainwater, I'm pretty sure it's fine for plants.

And are they honestly banned by your HOA? In a lot of places they're incentivized.

Something else you could think of for water is a greywater pond/swamp. That does involve plumbing, though, and the HOA would probably have a fit if they figured out what it was. But you can probably just disguise it as a pond.

The place I live in is rated as one of the most restrictive HOAs in the state. The only reason I fell backward into homeownership here is because my fiance's mother is giving us the house because she is moving up to live with her boyfriend and well...we needed a place to live. The house only has like 100K left on it in an area where house value is like 450K so it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Don't get me wrong, if I am able to do what I want with the yard...this quarter-acre plot will be the most beautiful on our street. But our bylaws for the HOA is like...War and Peace. Of course you can get ANYTHING approved in an HOA system as long as your neighbors approve, and you got a decent plan. Our neighbor does technical drawings for a living and he is going to draw us up a 3d model of what our yard improvements will look like for our proposal so that is going to put us over the edge to approval. I have a sketch of the plans I drew up on graph paper and will post it shortly.

Garden update!!!

The Sea of Sod has been broken and the good earth has seen fit to provide us with it's bounty...with one caveat. I am having some issues getting pollinators to come visit the once barren desert of flowers and pollinate my pepper plants. Which is why we parked the USS BeeCool next to the garden as a landing pad/bribe. The Garden gets sun ALL day so the plants are SUPER BEEFY. We named the Tomatoes: Tracey, Timothy, and Thomas. We are pretty sure Tracey is going to play basketball. The garden is 100 percent commercial pesticide/fertilizer free.

We fertilize with egg tea(basically you steep your eggshells in water for a few days, and use it to water the plants, then grind up the shells and spread them through the soil. Eggshells are filled with all the stuff plants love and if you have a fiance who has Crohns Disease and eggs are one of the things she can easily digest....you get a lotta eggshells lol. We conditioned the soil with leaf mulch and loam from my dad's dirt farm so it made the plants SUPER happy.

USS BeeCool

Garden pt 2

Garden p1

I am kinda worried that the bees and pollinators don't really know we are here. The tomatoes are producing, but the peppers are not and well...I was an idiot and forgot it takes time for perennials to get to the point where they will flower because I have a case of the dumb and planted Hollyhock, lupine, and another perennial that I cant remember its name from seeds and forgot that bees need flowers to know where your garden was. So I planted on the other side Marigolds, Snapdragons, and zinnias. The marigolds have flowered, but the Zinnias are being lil bitches and haven't flowered yet. I am..not a patient person evidently.

he1ixx posted:

1-Mitsubishi 42,000 BTU Cold Climate heat pump Condenser Requires 50 Amp 240 Volt breaker
1-Mitsubishi SLZ-KA12NA Ceiling cassette 13,482 BTU'S of heating for the whole 1st. Floor master bedroom end
1-Mitsubishi SLZ-KA09NA Ceiling cassette 10,112 BTU'S of heating for the whole 1st. Floor living/dining/Kitchen area
3-Mitsubishi MSZ-GL06NA Wall mounted cassette 6,741 BTU'S of heating for the office, Kid's bedroom & Guest room
1-Mitsubishi PAC-MKA50BC Branch Boxes for Refrigerant piping distribution to the indoor units & to the outdoor units
2-Mitsubishi MHK1 Wall mounted wireless thermostats for all the 2 ceiling cassettes
The 3 wall mounted cassette comes with handheld remote controls
Refrigerant Piping from the Condenser to the branch box then to all 5 indoor units Condensate piping to the outside or a nearby drain line
1 Stand and 1 pad to set on and to keep the heat pump condenser up out of the snow
We take care of all the low voltage control wiring between units But we will need 240 Volts 50 Amps for the condenser
and 120 volts to the branch box which will be located in the mechanical room
Installation of a Zehnder Q350 ERV and an Electric heater on the incoming air that will need a 220V 20 amp circuit
Installation of all the flex to the register boxes for a total of 18 flex lines, Installation of all the grilles for supply & Exhaust

Since the only power source we have planned for the house is solar (other than emergency backup) we need to make sure that system is sized appropriately. The problem with a lot of this is that we can only model and try to build with some extensibility in mind. We can build with only as much forethought as the models provide some of this is guesswork which is a scary feeling since these could be $50k mistakes.

The solar panel system we designed should provide us with about 12.37 MWh yearly. We are spending an extra $1000 to make sure the system is sized such that we can expand with another panel if needs change down the road. It's far cheaper to spend that $1000 now than another $12k later. This is a grid-tied system meaning that our electricity is fed back to the electric company and they give us credits. We wanted to build an off-grid system but that looked like it was going to add another $30k to the house cost which seemed extravagant for what it was going to provide.

I should extrapolate on that since it was a big misconception for me when I first started this journey. Building an off-grid modern home is complicated. If you are in town limits, some places have regulations against being totally off-grid and require you to tie into the grid in some way. If you are allowed to do it, your biggest concern then becomes power storage. Batteries are very expensive right now and some designs (like the Tesla) have serious concerns regarding the chance of a fire if certain conditions are met. You need to size the system to store enough power for long periods of low sunlight OR will need to have a standby gasoline generator to charge them when there's not enough sun. You can get smart systems that kick the gas generator on to charge the batteries when the amount of solar generation is low and your battery charge is critical but generators are loud and require fuel which creates another issue (how much fuel do I need and how do I get it to my house?). When you add all of these things together, it just was a bridge too far for us to deal with. Not to mention the added cost. And the goal was to be assured of power during an outage and the outages are rare up on the mountain and fairly short. It's just not worth the added tens of thousands of dollars to mitigate that risk. If things go really bad, we are planning on making it easy to tie the house's electrical system to a gas generator that hopefully gets rarely used.

Here's what the evaluation for the currently designed system is telling us:

What your solar array saves in one year
Carbon Offset (lbs): 18,690
Gallons of Gasoline: 956
Trees Saved (tons): 4.46
Computers Powered: 96
Tons of Coal Not Burned: 2.49

Appliances in a netzero home are pretty straightforward. Our choice is an induction cooktop with an electric oven. We would love a propane or gas cooktop but having no fossil fuels in the house was important and it also reduces another system that can fail. One thing to keep in mind with an induction cooktop is that you need pots and pans that are metal and that can conduct magnetic energy. We mostly have compatible pots and pans already so it shouldn't be an issue for us but if you have expensive copper pans or things like that, you might have to invest in new cookware.

I'll post about insulation and house structure when I have more time. Let me know if you have questions on anything above.

Hrm...we are planning to put solar panels on the roof of our house because we get sun all throughout the day, but it sounds like you are going for a larger array than our plot can accommodate? How big is your array? And in your research with diving into net-zero emission households, what can places that don't have the real estate required for a large array of solar do to get as close to net-zero as possible? Or for homes that are already built and can't do a lot of the house design stuff you are listing to lower emissions?

I am also VERY interested in insulation as I am prepping to replace a lot of the insulation in this house so I stop bleeding energy and money in the winter/summer.