Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dawncloack posted:

The garden
Following the advice of so many permaculture books we will do sections of the garden individually, adding one a year. We plan to start with the three sisters. and add a plot or a tree a year. One of the first things will be a water tank connected to the roof gutters, to collect as much rainwater as possible.

This seems sensible. If you're in a climate where herbs can survive the winter, I'd be thinking about getting your zone 1 herb garden up as one of the first things.

You'd also want to be finding out what the soil is like. Again, depending on where you are, there's a high chance that anywhere you can afford land will have quite marginal soil. (That's definitely the case in the Pacific Northwest -- most of our land is a thing veneer of old forest floor over hard volcanic bedrock.) Even if you manage to somehow get land somewhere really fertile, you'll need to do a lot of soil building to start, ie bring in a whole lot of compost, and/or plant a lot of soil-building cover crops, and either till or lasagne.

Three sisters is, in my experience, quite a bit more fiddly than it's made out to be. You really have to get the timing (and spacing) right for all three of the plants, which itself requires fairly intimate knowledge of both the strains you're growing and your local growing conditions. (At least I'd guess this -- as I've said, I haven't had much luck!)

Also don't forget deer fencing if you're anywhere that has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Runoff from the roof is what usually goes into rain barrels. It's rainwater, I'm pretty sure it's fine for plants.

And are they honestly banned by your HOA? In a lot of places they're incentivized.

Something else you could think of for water is a greywater pond/swamp. That does involve plumbing, though, and the HOA would probably have a fit if they figured out what it was. But you can probably just disguise it as a pond.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Huh. I can see why poo poo is so expensive in Vermont. Stowe is just a two hour drive from Montreal, and there's an Amtrak line 40 minutes away. Oh and it's basically a ski town, surrounded by state parks? Like, have you considered running a B&B on the side once you've gotten set up?

Super excited for you, though. Also hyped to see photos of the site. What's your plan for stewardship of those wetlands?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

You can buy bee cocoons. You leave them next to a bee house, and they keep coming back.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah really, that's very elegant.

I've something similar-ish (bench not wall), but the janky hippie version:

https://permies.com/wiki/57365/Rocket-Mass-Heater-Builder-Guide

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm putting some thought into a greenhouse dome large enough to build a house within. I want a comfortable patch of grass my dog can poo poo on in relative warmth in a high alpine valley. Also a tree or two I'll have to bitch about pruning a few times a year after a decade of untended growth. Rig up something to open windows at the top and have a bunch hinged so they can open in arms' reach. Slap a little 600 sq ft cabin inside and enjoy low heating costs. I'm thinking a 60ft diameter would get me what I'm looking for, and possibly make the county scratch their heads over approving anything I bring them.

The county I'm looking at has like, 2 pages for land use permit information. 40psf snow load, 115mph wind, 2018 IBC/IRC, requisite soil survey for septic, well permit, utilities inspections, etc. Access permit is $50, mailing address permit is $50, cheap building permit as long as it's not a trailer, which carry very heavy permit fees as a means of keeping people from dragging them into the county.

No way in hell I'm getting a loan for the dome, so I'll have to piece it together after I beg the USDA for a rural development loan for the cabin first. It's a couple years away, but that's what I'm daydreaming about. It's going to be a lot of math and glass and manual labor.

Have other people done this before? I'd be worried about humidity/moisture, but maybe you can manage that with the windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'll be picking an engineers mind at some point, because the county is probably going to want stamped plans for it. I'll generally take their advice on this.

Going to need to talk to one about the cabin itself anyhow, since I'm planning on using cribbed 4x4s for the walls. There's current precedent for it in EZLog cabin kits, but 4x4s bought locally from a mill will be cheaper, and 3/4" thicker than the walls they provide in their premium models. I did the math at one point for 1200sqft of interior space, stacking 4x4s is more expensive than traditional stick framed walls, but stronger and easier to do with little manpower. There's amish in the area, too, and some of them do contract roofing and construction.

I would love to do a post and beam structure with hempcrete walls, the insulation value is great, but the lime used is expensive and from some part of France, so it'd absolutely murder the skin-of-my-rear end budget I'll be working on.

I might buy land this year for this project. Might. Kinda dependent on some stuff, but there's a chance I wind up throwing in on a big plot of land with a friend so we can share septic and a well. If that pans out, I'll probably be able to start the cabin next year.

peanut posted:

Pre-cut lumber frames, subfloor, and subroof are assembled in one day :japan:

https://youtu.be/dC-FDP9uxSo