Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Finished this on xbox onex and man that was an experience in 4k, most of it was spoiled but I loved the non spoiled moments like (dont read the spoilers if you havent played it why would you)

there's a cabin out west in animal country and OH NO ITS FULL OF GRIZZLY. I did kill that bare I did, via sheer panic stabbing. loving horror movie moment.

found a tiny church I guess for tiny christians and then some naked swamp people came at me, started housing them with a vengeance (one of them one-shot me with a stab in the neck tho, drat naked swamp folk)

I get that everyone dies but they loving also killed Roach near the end :mad: I had been spoiled that most others die but man, she aint do nothing. Leave her alone

Favorite mission in any game in a LONG time, going after Jack in force when he gets nicked. Ya don't steal a boah !

Fantastic experience, lovely game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

skooma512 posted:

:rip: It was a slog for me and I had a full streak. How much gold do you have?

Reminder, treasure maps and bounties also pay gold. It may not be much but it may get you over the hump, and you get gold back from the outlaw pass.

Though if it's a wide gap, you're sadly not likely to make it realistically. Grinding is just going to make you hate the game. The outlaw pass stuff isn't really that amazing anyway. It's fine to just let it go.

I have 38 gold and rewards level 25 as of tonight. If I make it, I'm good. If not, that's fine too.

I have skipped the hardest grindiest stuff and focused on what was realistic to do.

I think one of the worst parts of online is that there doesn't seem to be much downside to starting a new free roam session versus fast travel, especially if you can sell skins. But the load times are really annoying.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
FFS, started this again and have just accidentally cooked and eaten my solitary perfect rat carcass which I got from the clearing the pub out mission in Not New Orleans. What an absolute bellend.

Accidentally stumbled on the serial killer lair as well. I never found that first go around.

Spent HOURS this week looking for a perfect cougar. Finally got my massive satchel now though.

What a lovely game this is. I wish there'd been more people up in the snow though, it's stunning up there but very very empty.

Where is good for cardinals and woodpeckers? And rats I suppose?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I have an NVME drive and 32 gigs of RAM. RDR2 is using about 4.5gigs of my VRAM (11 available). I tried switching to DX12 and it made the problem worse.

It isn't unplayable or anything, but the periodic stutter is annoying.

Stuttering update: I started playing yesterday in earnest, and the stuttering actually doesn't seem to be an issue at all. It was happening in the benchmark test, but in actual gameplay, the framerate is smooth.

At 1440p I'm playing with everything turned up to Ultra, except water simulation, which I bumped down one notch (it eats up a ton of performance at ultra). I'm also not using any MSAA or FXAA The game looks stunning and typically runs between 55-70fps. The dips below 60 don't bother me because G-Sync is great.

I'm really enjoying the game thus far. I'm currently in chapter 2, and I'm impressed with the actors performances and the world Rockstar built. The character models and performance capture isn't quite part with Naughty Dog, but the world detail is incredible considering how expansive the game is. I turned off auto lock-on after the first gun-fight, and I'm having more fun manually aiming - I never have a great time with Naughty Dog's gunplay because the lock-on is too automatic and boring, but switching to free-aim has made it more enjoyable for me.

I'm looking forward to playing through it now! I didn't love the original RDR so I hadn't been super hyped to try out RDR2, but all of its praise made it impossible to pass up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gambrinus posted:

Spent HOURS this week looking for a perfect cougar.

covid killed the bar scene, you gotta tinder for that poo poo now.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gambrinus posted:

Where is good for cardinals and woodpeckers? And rats I suppose?

The birds are usually flying around in the area just north of Rhodes. Check the bridges and train bridges in the area, some of the cardinals spawn on the guardrails, though I've only ever seen the woodpeckers flying.

Rats are usually found in and around the broken buildings in the swamp.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Cheers.

Is the dreamcatcher collection bugged? I used a guide to get all 20 but only have 19 listed as collected.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I wish there were more things for me to spend money on. I feel like a total rich guy 1%er with 3 thousand bucks, meanwhile Dutch is harping about how they need more money and there’s like 20k in the community pot.

Also I don’t feel super compelled to do stupid robbery type poo poo where I know I’m gonna make a scene. I think one thing this game needs is a reoccurring time sensitivity to have some kind of income rolling in, so that I feel pressured to like, rob a fuckin train, or pull random stick ups on people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I wish there were more things for me to spend money on. I feel like a total rich guy 1%er with 3 thousand bucks, meanwhile Dutch is harping about how they need more money and there’s like 20k in the community pot.

Also I don’t feel super compelled to do stupid robbery type poo poo where I know I’m gonna make a scene. I think one thing this game needs is a reoccurring time sensitivity to have some kind of income rolling in, so that I feel pressured to like, rob a fuckin train, or pull random stick ups on people.

Yeah the game is kind of weird like that. Money's pretty scarce early on, and the game almost makes you feel like you're going to have to do robberies and side activities and stuff to buy all the cool things you want. Then suddenly there's a mission that just straight up gives you $2000 and you can hardly spend it all even if you try.

Ultimately, I don't honestly mind that the game plays that way, because it would be less fun if you actually had to grind, and it's not like "protagonists earn a huge windfall and the future looks bright only for something bad to happen" isn't a tried and true formula for a story about a gang of criminals, but it is kind of weird for dutch to complain about being poor no matter how much money you dump into the camp. I mean I guess it's not that weird because dutch is an rear end in a top hat, but I don't think that's happening by design, it comes off as an oversight.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

fennesz posted:

The birds are usually flying around in the area just north of Rhodes. Check the bridges and train bridges in the area, some of the cardinals spawn on the guardrails, though I've only ever seen the woodpeckers flying.

Rats show up at all kinds of wrecked places - Limpany, that one abandoned Army/Indian camp down by the lower Montana, the wrecked oil derrick near Valentine. For bats, you hit the Elysian cave, or there's one swamp house that looks like it has Christmas lights along the eaves when you go Eagle Eye - that's a swarm of the lil' flying rats.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Rats show up at all kinds of wrecked places - Limpany, that one abandoned Army/Indian camp down by the lower Montana, the wrecked oil derrick near Valentine. For bats, you hit the Elysian cave, or there's one swamp house that looks like it has Christmas lights along the eaves when you go Eagle Eye - that's a swarm of the lil' flying rats.

If the cave has bats, it also has rats.

If the cave doesn't have hats, it might still have rats too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Leave the loving bats alone. You want another virus?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Started back in on the Online of this after a while not playing and it's nice to see everything working so much better. Animals aplenty, camp moving / appearing whenever you ask it to. It's seriously night and day, and arguably as of now this is one of the best persistent world games I've ever played whether you're going at it solo or in MP / co-op.

Interesting how the Roles shook out tho. Not really ruining my experience but alarming how contradictory they can be. For instance as a Trader you'll have a challenge to bring carcasses to Cripps, but the same day you'll have a challenge to not kill animals for 24 hours for Henrietta and the Naturalist role. This honestly seems like a design choice on Rockstar's part to gatekeep players from maxing out gold as much as they might have been able to before IMO. There's still plenty of poo poo to do though so whatever.

On that note, when Henrietta is mad at you, how do you get back on her good side? Past two times I've gone to visit her, she's gassed me.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Just wait a couple of minutes without killing anything and her icon will light up again and you can talk to her. It can be a little buggy though, sometimes it feels like she'll gas you for no reason and others I've just come in from a critter murder spree and she's happy to see me.

For the challenges you can only do 7 of the general and 9 of the role specific ones per day so I guess the thinking is it's up to the player to optimise which set of challenges synergise best with each other and work from there but honestly I usually only ever knock out a couple of the easiest ones to keep my streak going.

Also there's a new halloween outlaw pass out today but apparently XP gains are bugged so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: xp might be fixed?

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 20, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Argh, I'm in the middle of TactiMurderLooting DC and (sometimes) NYC in Division 2, now I have to swap back to CowboyMurderLooting for the new Outlaw Pass. :argh:

I feel a need for self-quarantine coming on...

GeorgieMordor posted:

Started back in on the Online of this after a while not playing and it's nice to see everything working so much better. Animals aplenty, camp moving / appearing whenever you ask it to. It's seriously night and day, and arguably as of now this is one of the best persistent world games I've ever played whether you're going at it solo or in MP / co-op.

Interesting how the Roles shook out tho. Not really ruining my experience but alarming how contradictory they can be. For instance as a Trader you'll have a challenge to bring carcasses to Cripps, but the same day you'll have a challenge to not kill animals for 24 hours for Henrietta and the Naturalist role. This honestly seems like a design choice on Rockstar's part to gatekeep players from maxing out gold as much as they might have been able to before IMO. There's still plenty of poo poo to do though so whatever.

On that note, when Henrietta is mad at you, how do you get back on her good side? Past two times I've gone to visit her, she's gassed me.

Remember, that's 24 *in-game* hours. Go herbing, sightseeing, tranking and harvesting, whatever, if you ride slow (or walk) you can avoid horsicular crittercide, and if you stay away from cougar/gator/bear country, you should be able to both not get et and not have to Glock a hungry boi.

As noted above, you get gassed you're just on a short time-out until she forgets why she did it. At Lagras, I tend to wake up across the river, and often there's a poacher op popping up on the Lagras side, north-northeast a bit, and this can occupy your time before going back to do some bidness.

And once you're done with her, murder and skin the nearest gator, just to hear her shriek. :unsmigghh: Wish the AI animals would attack NPCs, I'd be bringing her the harvested Legendary gators to let her make friends.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 20, 2020

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The Halloween outlaw pass is only 20 levels so it goes by pretty fast, think I got 5 levels this morning just messing around for like an hour.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
no gold refunds though so make sure you check the rewards first and see if it's worth it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They brought back big lobbies again, with all the resulting glitches and bugs.

RDR2: The Fault in Our Services :rip:

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
I hope lobbies break again soon. This game is a miserable experience with other people around but maybe it’s just me and my play style. All I want to chill in the Wild West but maybe that’s far too much to ask for.

Yesterday I was free-roaming around Rhodes and somehow got insta-ported to New Austin along with a bunch of other folks where we were immediately blown up by xXXseperothXXx’s dynamite. Good times.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

spaced ninja posted:

The Halloween outlaw pass is only 20 levels so it goes by pretty fast, think I got 5 levels this morning just messing around for like an hour.

Yuup, six levels and change doing:

Skinning 3 coyotes (general challenge)
Shooting 5 flying birds while riding a train (general)
Donating 3 predator skins/carcasses to Cripps (trader)
Killing a gator (general) (combined with above)
Guzzled two blending tonics (naturalist)
Wasted two toxic moonshines so I could make4 more (moonshiner)

Plus murderlooting a bunch of deer/antelope for Cripps, going all John Wick of Locksley on a revenooer roadblock, doing the same to a rival 'shine op, picking up some collectibles, trading a couple bucks in change for a perfect rat carcass (beggar in St Denis), trading some herpitile meat for the stench of the unwashed lunatic to leave my camp, arrowing some turtles for more herp meats, buying a treasure map and immediately hogtying and looting the seller, and her saddlebags.

A bit over 45 minutes, and I got started late.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Six? More like eight, unless more levels dropped on me after I logged off. Certainly started at the higher number last night, spent a little over an hour mainly screwing off and doing simple dailies, plus a roadblock a shine op at Bolger Glade and a secesh holdout camp about 50 yards east of Rhodes, didn't even get a hint of a Legendary, and yet I finished at Halloutlaw 18.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!
Y'know, I'm maybe halfway through the story content and I've seen a lot of friends die, but the loss of this tram is what really hurts

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

croup coughfield posted:

Y'know, I'm maybe halfway through the story content and I've seen a lot of friends die, but the loss of this tram is what really hurts

Worse things than that are coming aptly named poster

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

leveled the Halloween pass in two days just by doing 7/7 and 9/9 dailies two days in a row

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

leveled the Halloween pass in two days just by doing 7/7 and 9/9 dailies two days in a row

Maxed out in about 2 mins using gold ive had no use for

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Now I want COVID mode in this game.

Also it's a trip for people to kick me out of shops for wearing a mask rather than not.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!

Another Bill posted:

I've been largely avoiding spoilers but as soon as the charity guy coughed in my mouth I knew what must be coming and that's been borne out pretty much every time i've talked to Strauss since.

Was not expecting the fallout from the bank job. What a gut punch.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Clavavisage posted:

Maxed out in about 2 mins using gold ive had no use for

Can you elaborate on this? After finally ranking up the last Outlaw Pass and getting a ~50 day daily streak I've got rather a lot of gold.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

ICMB posted:

Can you elaborate on this? After finally ranking up the last Outlaw Pass and getting a ~50 day daily streak I've got rather a lot of gold.

You can buy each pass lvl for 1 gold bar

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Gotta say, letting you buy a pass level with currency that isn't that hard to accumulate is rather decent of them.

I haven't played this COD season at all because the last BP burned me out grinding and worrying about it. Their currency can only come from the pass and it's not realistic to get enough to buy more than a couple levels. Meanwhile I was 8 levels from the last OP level and just bought it all out.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Ygolonac posted:

Remember, that's 24 *in-game* hours. Go herbing, sightseeing, tranking and harvesting, whatever, if you ride slow (or walk) you can avoid horsicular crittercide, and if you stay away from cougar/gator/bear country, you should be able to both not get et and not have to Glock a hungry boi.

Ah, right! Ok that didn’t occur to me. That’s totally reasonable then.

I’m assuming the progression of in game only happens when being logged in? Same as trading production, etc?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

GeorgieMordor posted:

Ah, right! Ok that didn’t occur to me. That’s totally reasonable then.

I’m assuming the progression of in game only happens when being logged in? Same as trading production, etc?

Yup. No logging out to do other stuff and coming back to "completion" of things. I know in longer play sessions, I can actually time-out the 3-day camp stews. "OK Cripps, I'm back, lemme eat something before I donate... eww, base stew again?"

Guess I need to go chase the Halloween cosmetic items and weapon and such, too.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!

croup coughfield posted:

I've been largely avoiding spoilers but as soon as the charity guy coughed in my mouth I knew what must be coming and that's been borne out pretty much every time i've talked to Strauss since.

god dammit poo poo just keeps getting worse

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I moved my camp and moonshine shack from the Grizzlies to Bayou Nwa right before the Halloween pass dropped and it feels like easy mode by comparison. More revenuer spawn locations, more flavoring ingredients growing nearby, at least 3 different species of predator in the area, and the terrain is a lot easier to navigate during deliveries. I can't think of a single reason now to recommend the Grizzlies shack unless you love shipping your moonshine over lumpy, winding goat paths, or you're just a huge fan of towering cliffs and switchbacks that double the amount of time it takes to get to a nearby town.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I've got my shack in the bayou as well, it's pretty good all things considered.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
So, after over a year absence I put in the disk(s) and reinstalled RDR2 on my PS4 in order to do some online co-op with friends. I don't know how, but somehow I already had a lot of gold and linking my Prime account probably helped. I managed to buy Collector, Bounty Hunter, Trader and Naturalist duties pretty much immediately.

Rockstar keeps giving me al kinds of vouchers in-game as well, so I was able to get a deal on a good (Criollo) horse and I was able to buy some weapons.

I like the gaming, it's still very pretty, I do'n't get ganked at all (playing with defensive tag) and white flag raised. If I wouldn't enjoy riding around on my horse, trying for those daily challenges etc. I can see that it could get grindy (and it might in the future) but for now weeee! There is still a lot to do in the game, but not everything makes sense for me yet.

In the main menu, if I click on POSSE UP I just go to free roam anyway. Is the big menu-button FREE ROAM different from POSSE UP?
I created a persistent posse in order to more easily play with my friends, but I still have to keep re-inviting them. I don't see why I paid redneck dollars for that persistence then. What's the use?
When I log off, will my friends still belong to the posse or contribute to our shared camp? I guess not. Way to ignore a great way to build some more community, Rockstar.
I donated a considerable amount of meat and money for supplies to Cripps. I now have a 100/100 shipment. If I deliver it, the system says I will make 62 dollars on it (I think 15 more if I take a long distance shipment). Why would I ever do this again? It seems like losing money. Also, do my Posse friends get this amount as well if we deliver it or do they need to have bought the Trader role? Also can we get ganked by others when doing the shipment?
I think it only costs 2 dollars to have Cripps move camp. Sounds to me like a good alternative to paying 5 times as much for fast travel, or am I missing something?
For the naturalist role, I'm supposed to not kill animals. Why put something in the game that goes against one of the main parts of what makes this game fun? Also, I don't really see a penalty here other than some voice lines from Harriet, so... why would I spare any animals?

I also bought the Halloween Pass with gold that for some reason the game keeps throwing at me. Is there any reason to ever buy something with real-world money? I think the normal Outlaw pass gives a return on investment if you get high enough with that. I suppose the Halloween Pass does not do that? I may have been foolish not to hold on to the gold until after the Halloween Pass finishes and a new Outlaw Pass is available? Anyway still great to be able to play this. Hope it will be even better on PS5.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dick Jones posted:

I moved my camp and moonshine shack from the Grizzlies to Bayou Nwa right before the Halloween pass dropped and it feels like easy mode by comparison. More revenuer spawn locations, more flavoring ingredients growing nearby, at least 3 different species of predator in the area, and the terrain is a lot easier to navigate during deliveries. I can't think of a single reason now to recommend the Grizzlies shack unless you love shipping your moonshine over lumpy, winding goat paths, or you're just a huge fan of towering cliffs and switchbacks that double the amount of time it takes to get to a nearby town.

Yeah, I wish they added some additional benefits for putting your shack in the various locations. Maybe some recipes sell for more from that location or something like that.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!
boy the story in SP just grinds your face in it huh

i loving hate dutch more than ive ever hated a video game character

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 105 days!

gently caress why what the gently caress good is this going to do anyone this is such a bad idea lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

fennesz posted:

I found rats doing that mission in the bar in St Denis and fluked a cardinal by Valentine. Woodpeckers this weekend I reckon.