Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Holy gently caress shut up you twats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Here lies Beaufort Clement-Spruce

Killed over a matter of unused spoiler tags

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

veni veni veni posted:

If you ditch your horse for another one found in the wild, do you lose it or will it show up at the stable?

Your main horse will remain an icon on the map. You can have a main horse and a temporary horse once you get a level one bond with whichever you find in the wild or steal. You can whistle to have the main horse follow you, also.

A good hunting tip is take two horses with you for more pack space. You can probably even do 3 so long as you keep the bond low on the third. Both your main and temporary horse will respond to the same whistles when in range.

e: also to change your main horse go to a stable and switch your saddle over to the one you want

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

esperterra posted:

Your main horse will remain an icon on the map. You can have a main horse and a temporary horse once you get a level one bond with whichever you find in the wild or steal. You can whistle to have the main horse follow you, also.

A good hunting tip is take two horses with you for more pack space. You can probably even do 3 so long as you keep the bond low on the third. Both your main and temporary horse will respond to the same whistles when in range.

e: also to change your main horse go to a stable and switch your saddle over to the one you want

You can also switch your saddle in the wild by removing it from one horse and putting it on another. I did this to make sure that when I got my (minor rare horse spoiler, I guess) white arabian from the snowy mountains, the cheap starter horse I had would be the one to get lost if there were some sort of glitch.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
Every time I head into Valentine, I make it a point to get in a fight with the bearded fella with the huge yellow chaps. He got knocked out for mouthing off to me the first time I was in town, and its just become a ritual at this point.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Isn’t it awesome how if someone starts shooting at you first and you defend yourself, suddenly someone goes running as a witness to murder. Like what the gently caress, game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

loving hell, the last mission where the motherfuckers kill your God drat horse. I was yelling at the TV and firing my guns in total anger, what a finale. Now for a further twenty hours of household chores!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I got a girl in the Red Dead thread, she bickers and whines and her posts are bad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
gently caress YOU Tilly you beat me in dominoes ONCE, ONCE and it's all you ever talk about now stop bullying me goddammit!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had to completely wipe my PS4 as instructed by the Rockstar support people because the game will not stop crashing after 5-10 minutes no matter what, and even after that it's still doing it. I'm at a loss.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeeBoi posted:

Isn’t it awesome how if someone starts shooting at you first and you defend yourself, suddenly someone goes running as a witness to murder. Like what the gently caress, game?

Yeah I'm really hoping some of this stuff can be addressed by patches because it's awesome to head out of doing business with the trapper in Saint Denis only to get ambushed by three lemoyne raiders, kill them only to get slapped with bounties for murder, and then good loving lucking getting out of Saint Dennis either alive or with a manageable bounty.

Plus this game has the potential for some great My Summer Car-esque patch notes and I am eagerly awaiting that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I'm really hoping some of this stuff can be addressed by patches because it's awesome to head out of doing business with the trapper in Saint Denis only to get ambushed by three lemoyne raiders, kill them only to get slapped with bounties for murder, and then good loving lucking getting out of Saint Dennis either alive or with a manageable bounty.

Plus this game has the potential for some great My Summer Car-esque patch notes and I am eagerly awaiting that.

I've started working around that particular issue by just saving every time I'm done with the trapper in St. Denis and then reloading. I'm either far enough away or they aren't there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I spoke too soon, in Chapter 3 I lost my beautiful sheriff star on the very next story mission I did, the one selling the moonshine with Hosea:negative:

My huge bounty is definitely causing some weird Chapter 3 issues too, I came across some Lemoyne raiders robbing people, threw dynamite at them, the explosion killed their horses, which made one of the people getting robbed report me for animal cruelty, causing the law to show up and fight me like 100 feet from the town border of Rhodes. I tried to run into town to see how the game would handle it but they shot me down before I could get there.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is there a way I'm missing to save weapon loadouts on the horse? Or to stop the game from constantly loving switching what weapon is equipped or clearing the slots entirely? It is loving maddening, I swear I spend half of my game time in that god drat weapon wheel setting everything up because I remounted my horse and all of a sudden everything is swapped or it randomly goes back to the pistol instead of whatever I had equipped.

Also fun is when I go to draw a shot on my bow but suddenly the contextual menu is on "Aim Weapon" randomly even though I hadn't targeted a civilian and was hunting the whole time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there a way I'm missing to save weapon loadouts on the horse? Or to stop the game from constantly loving switching what weapon is equipped or clearing the slots entirely? It is loving maddening, I swear I spend half of my game time in that god drat weapon wheel setting everything up because I remounted my horse and all of a sudden everything is swapped or it randomly goes back to the pistol instead of whatever I had equipped.

Also fun is when I go to draw a shot on my bow but suddenly the contextual menu is on "Aim Weapon" randomly even though I hadn't targeted a civilian and was hunting the whole time.

You can go to a gunsmith and pick your primary/secondary holster weapons as well as your shoulder/back weapons. Unfortunately, you can't save default bullet type, so you'll have to constantly change that to use your preferred type, plus some missions will force weapons on you (usually it'll revert inexplicably back to your cattleman revolver and a repeater/pump shotgun combo, and sometimes it'll just completely forget what you set your defaults to at the gunsmith anyways. But it's worth doing sometimes anyways. It just isn't consistent at all.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game is dead set on loving with your loadout constantly, there's no use resisting. Might as well just make your peace w/ it

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
This game and it's supernatural elements plus undead nightmare back in the day really makes me wish Rockstar would go and make a full fledged open world horror game, with all sorts of spooky poo poo.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So I'm trying to get that racoon hat from the guy in the valentine bar, however I've not seen him in there for ages. I've been in there about 10 times too, I remember him being there quite often.

It's possible I may have killed him previously by accident. I don't think so however? Does anyone know if you kill him does he never come back?

Also, can I get that racoon hat another way? Via hunting or anything like that?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I spoke too soon, in Chapter 3 I lost my beautiful sheriff star on the very next story mission I did, the one selling the moonshine with Hosea:negative:

My huge bounty is definitely causing some weird Chapter 3 issues too, I came across some Lemoyne raiders robbing people, threw dynamite at them, the explosion killed their horses, which made one of the people getting robbed report me for animal cruelty, causing the law to show up and fight me like 100 feet from the town border of Rhodes. I tried to run into town to see how the game would handle it but they shot me down before I could get there.

Killing horses is extremely dishonorable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BillBear posted:

This game and it's supernatural elements plus undead nightmare back in the day really makes me wish Rockstar would go and make a full fledged open world horror game, with all sorts of spooky poo poo.

Is spookier when this stuff happens in a regular game though. The bullgator is freaky because you don't expect it in a cowboy simulator.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, I'm really glad Rockstar is steering back towards more weird stuff. GTAV was such a dour unpleasant game. San Andreas, on the other hand, was loving amazing. Started grounded then the next thing you know you have weird government agents giving you jetpacks and poo poo.

The structure of this game feels a lot like Yakuza. Super serious main story, the side stuff is lighter and borders on wacky. And I love it.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I got a pirate hat where the gently caress is my saber

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have gone full modern Viking and it’s the only way to play.

The Viking hatchet and another hatchet I found are very good. I had just found this hatchet and coincidentally an rear end in a top hat rode by that was perfect for testing it out! His horse, however, did not react like I thought it would:

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1058916215563808768?s=21

Game is 10/10

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Speaking of spooky, was riding around north of Strawberry and something kept spooking my horse. Thought I heard a bear earlier but couldn't find anything. Oh well, I just continued on my way and checked out a nearby cabin

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Best part of hatchets to the skull is you have to pry it out of the skull to retrieve it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Also, my game lost my lancaster repeater. Do we know why the game keeps losing guns?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TescoBag posted:

Also, my game lost my lancaster repeater. Do we know why the game keeps losing guns?

No idea. I bought a replacement scoped rifle after the game deleted the rolling block and one starting with C that I had. I think when the game decides to arm you for a mission (often with garbage) it sometimes deletes what you had prior.

Like let me use my double barrel shotgun game, it's good at everything and I love it. Stop making me use boring repeaters for every mission.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 4, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know around what time or when (Chapter 4 camp companion mission) going hunting with Pearson for gator eggs pops? I was looking up in the guide to make sure I didn't do a mission that advanced chapters and noticed it was one of the things you could do. I'm a few missions in and it hasn't shown up in camp.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The loadouts stick after the story is over, even an empty slot so i think the missions trigger the loadout based on the loadout you had in the last mission+whatever is mission specific for the current. Or its just bugged but its the missions that gently caress it up.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

As you crash your horse and smack your head on trees/rocks Arthur's CTE gets progressively worse and he keeps forgetting his guns

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

TescoBag posted:

Ive lost guns horses and saddles. My horses occasionaly change colors and my guns change or revert randomly sometimes as well. No idea why but it seems like anything can get lost. Whats weird is my guns eventually changed back and i got one back that went missing entirely but i never got my horse or saddle back.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Also abigail reached around her back and popped her hand out of her chest and waved at me. It was an akward moment.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have some postgame questions, if anyone answer them. There are big spoilers so I'll use spoiler tags.

Can you still craft the satchel upgrades somewhere as Marston? My first thought was to try Pearson but it seems he's just a normal shopkeeper postgame.

Check out the fence. He sells what you need, don't even need materials. Just cash.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone get a funny bug on PS4 where you're horse won't move except for rotating in a circle? Happened just after the distillery mission.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is there a way to check yiur hours played?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How do you actually deal with lawmen??

It seems like the best answer is: Let yourself be killed.

That feels really bad. But unless its a minor crime and you happen to already be on a horse on your way away from the crime, you're pretty hosed. Fighting the law can only make things infinitely worse.

I guess that's way more realistic than GTA, but man does it feel bad to have a $200 bounty on my head because my horse dared bump into a guy, 20 guys shot my horse and chased me for 30 minutes, and then after I finally gave up and killed them more just showed up.

Bah.

Oh and for good measure all the 5 pristine deer pelts I was on my way to sell are now gone. Goddamn this game sometimes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

No idea. I bought a replacement scoped rifle after the game deleted the rolling block and one starting with C that I had. I think when the game decides to arm you for a mission (often with garbage) it sometimes deletes what you had prior.

Like let me use my double barrel shotgun game, it's good at everything and I love it. Stop making me use boring repeaters for every mission.

The game really is trying to sour me on missions. Nearly all of them involve spending 60%+ of the time slowly riding your horse to the location aka poo poo that could have easily been a cutscene for how little you interact with it, using whatever loadout the game dumps on you then killing a couple dozen dudes. Then afterwards you can't even hang around to loot the bodies because it's slow as gently caress and some witness will magically spawn nearby and alert the authorities, assuming you don't end the mission with a bounty on your head.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think I really needed proof that the physics engine can be wonky, but I think a snake just killed itself by going down a hill. RIP

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What do I do when my horse gets spooked?

I was riding along all proud of my new bear hat and ready to sell some pelts when some rear end in a top hat wolves start coming at me. All of a sudden I’m trying to get away but the camera isn’t even behind me anymore and I can barely tell which way to run so I just get caught up in trees and taken down, ending up with getting my rear end ripped up and wolves apparently running off with my hat. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Okay so funny how this games works sometimes.

So I wrote before about how my Lancaster repeater got deleted from existence. I decided to go hunting to make some money back for it.

I'm on my way back to the trapper, I crest a hill and there is a guy on a horse coming up the other side. We collide in a very exciting 1899 road accident. I have to put all my game back on my bloody horse, what a mess.

What do I see lying next to the dead body of the other guy? A shiny new Lancaster repeater.

Okay thanks game.