Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So a neat touch I just found going from chapter 2 to 3 on my second go around.

You know when you're with Charles and you're looking for that German family's husband/father? First time I did it and Charles was stopping to check tracks I just waited until he picked up on whatever and thought that's how it was supposed to go. This time I went into eagle eye for some reason and saw the tracks he was finding. If you start tracking them Arthur will tell Charles what he found before he gets to them. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, the end of Chapter 4 fuckin' killed me. Goddamn. Talk about things going from bad to worse.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

qbert posted:

I’m at the point in the game where I’m cleaning up requirements for 100%, and let me tell you, the Hunting Requests and Exotic quest are tedious as gently caress. Spending hours running around with your binoculars out trying to find specific species of birds to kill...good thing I had a lot of unplayed podcasts to get through.

Also gently caress the American Robin.

I'm working on the hunting requests now because I want the thing it unlocks and finding these small animals is a pain in the rear end. I am having a hell of a time trying to find a 3 star opossum (and a bunch of the animals I already got were just 2 stars that got boosted to 3 by the legendary buck trinket).

I've also been working on challenges even though the gun belt/holster bonuses to your weapons don't seem to stack. I already know that eventually you'll switch playable characters but can you get to Blackwater before that? Or am I stuck not finishing the Horseman challenges until then because if so :laffo: loving Rockstar.

Oxxidation posted:

rdr1 was way more arcadey so 100%'ing wasn't too big of an ask

trying to 100% this game would be a miserable grind maybe only matched by trying to 100% the yakuza games

Yeah aside from a couple bullshit challenges getting 100% was actually a lot of fun in that game. I'm doing as much content as possible but I don't see myself getting 100% this time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm working on the hunting requests now because I want the thing it unlocks and finding these small animals is a pain in the rear end. I am having a hell of a time trying to find a 3 star opossum (and a bunch of the animals I already got were just 2 stars that got boosted to 3 by the legendary buck trinket).

I've also been working on challenges even though the gun belt/holster bonuses to your weapons don't seem to stack. I already know that eventually you'll switch playable characters but can you get to Blackwater before that? Or am I stuck not finishing the Horseman challenges until then because if so :laffo: loving Rockstar.

Yeah aside from a couple bullshit challenges getting 100% was actually a lot of fun in that game. I'm doing as much content as possible but I don't see myself getting 100% this time.

i tried horseman 9 and got shot to death by a small army of lawmen about a minute away from blackwater but maybe you will have better success

pretty sure its not the only challenge that you can't do until the epilogue anyway

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Figures. I also spent hours trying to do the Sharpshooter challenge for shooting hats off without leaving Deadeye until I read somewhere that you can't even do it until a certain story mission way ahead of where I am. I hate when they do this.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Figures. I also spent hours trying to do the Sharpshooter challenge for shooting hats off without leaving Deadeye until I read somewhere that you can't even do it until a certain story mission way ahead of where I am. I hate when they do this.

There's a lot of stuff locked off from fully completing until postgame.

Dinosaur bones, Legendary fish/animals, challenges, bounties, etc.

The safest bet is to hold off on any collectible poo poo until postgame, as the transition from maingame to postgame can also gently caress with your progress/inventory in certain ways as to lock you out of quests altogether until Rockstar patches it.

Edit: If you're doing the Hunting Requests and haven't finished the game yet, don't bother. The final step won't even unlock until you beat the game.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 18, 2018

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Are some general animals gated behind certain chapters? I'm trying to knock out all the camp upgrades and non-endgame legendary trapper clothes while in Chapter 2, and there are just no moose. I've spent a couple hours at every spawn location known. I don't want to have to go past Chapter 3 if I can avoid it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Are some general animals gated behind certain chapters? I'm trying to knock out all the camp upgrades and non-endgame legendary trapper clothes while in Chapter 2, and there are just no moose. I've spent a couple hours at every spawn location known. I don't want to have to go past Chapter 3 if I can avoid it.

I don't think the moose is locked behind anything, but it may be rarer to spawn than other animals. You could try progressing to Chapter 3, that's generally the chapter most people use to shore up side stuff. You'll have just as much freedom to do whatever in Ch 3 as in Ch 2, only more side quests will have unlocked.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
the trapper only seems to spawn in one location other than the permanent Saint Denis location for me at the moment; he's up near Annesburg (I'm in the epilogue now). is there a way to trigger him to move on? it would be useful if he was closer to where I was hunting poo poo now

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I forgot, I have some perfect boar skins. Do I give them to pearson or the trapper?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

shut up blegum posted:

I forgot, I have some perfect boar skins. Do I give them to pearson or the trapper?

Depends on what you want to make. Pearson can make a bear rug for John if given 4 perfect boar skins and a table cover for Arthur if given 1. I can't remember if the trapper needs boar skins at all though. Might be best to google / RDR wiki that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Same but with snakes. They're really difficult to spot.

Rattlesnakes are the easiest of the snakes to hunt. Bluemarsh between the B and the L, also along the Dakota River north of Valentine. Your horse will mark them for you, they are the only predator dot on the radar that won't run straight at you. Get off the horse and run up on them until they coil up in defense. Easy headshot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oxford_town posted:

the trapper only seems to spawn in one location other than the permanent Saint Denis location for me at the moment; he's up near Annesburg (I'm in the epilogue now). is there a way to trigger him to move on? it would be useful if he was closer to where I was hunting poo poo now

the trapper exists in all locations simultaneously thanks to forbidden canadian magicks, eh

you just need to find the spawn points

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Give 1 to Pearson as it’s a requirement for a satchel. The rest to the trapper.

I recommend unlocking all the satchels at your earliest convenience. The final one lets you hold 99 of any item.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fart City posted:

Aight, the Lenny drinking mission was as great as y'all said it would be.
While this is from a thousand pages ago, I’m being careful not to read too much. Just finished this mission and it was amazing. The various cuts and especially ragdolling around only to appear elsewhere was amazing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just caught a pickpocket that had over $1200 on him. :eyepop:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I just caught a pickpocket that had over $1200 on him. :eyepop:

You know what's easier than robbing banks? Robbing bank robbers.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qbert posted:

I don't think the moose is locked behind anything, but it may be rarer to spawn than other animals. You could try progressing to Chapter 3, that's generally the chapter most people use to shore up side stuff. You'll have just as much freedom to do whatever in Ch 3 as in Ch 2, only more side quests will have unlocked.

Yeah for me they were just rare as hell and the one I did eventually get wasn’t in a place suggested by guides.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the trapper exists in all locations simultaneously thanks to forbidden canadian magicks, eh

you just need to find the spawn points

He actually has dialog where he says he travels around faster than you.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Two things I don't like but I feel add to the authenticity of the old west experience:

- Having to put down a horse because lack of horse reviver.

- hitting a deer wrong and having to quickly end it's suffering while it writhes around on the ground making godawful noises.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Two things I don't like but I feel add to the authenticity of the old west experience:

- hitting a deer wrong and having to quickly end it's suffering while it writhes around on the ground making godawful noises.

i accidentally gut-shot a cougar and spent several minutes standing stone-faced over its writhing body as it struggled to die

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I beat chapter 6 at high honor. Could someone tell me the low honor ending or what happens when you go back for the money instead of helping John? Even if I replay I can't imagine ever pursuing either of those things.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Untrustable posted:

The look at you as they’re dying :catstare:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

well its your fault

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The look at you as they’re dying :catstare:

I felt the tiniest pang of remorse when I had to put down a bloodhound I wounded after taking out a group of bounty hunters. And then I got more money added to my bounty because a witness reported it as animal cruelty.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i accidentally gut-shot a cougar and spent several minutes standing stone-faced over its writhing body as it struggled to die

You're a monster. Just shoot it in the head. I came across a guy who was dying or something and I offered him medicine and he said he didn't want that poo poo so I shot him in the head and left his body in the woods. It's about compassion. Also poo poo does your honor affect the outcome of the game? My shits firmly in the grey in Chapter 3 right now.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Chapter 6 question:
I just got rescued by Eagle Flies and killed Cornwall at the refinery, and am riding back to Wapiti to drop Eagle Flies off (I took a break at this point because the story is blowing my mind). How much of ch 6 do I have left?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deified Data posted:

So I beat chapter 6 at high honor. Could someone tell me the low honor ending or what happens when you go back for the money instead of helping John? Even if I replay I can't imagine ever pursuing either of those things.

Also curious about this, and whether there’s any consequence for not upgrading/putting any money into the camp, since I didn’t really find any upgrades actually useful.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

csidle posted:

Chapter 6 question:
I just got rescued by Eagle Flies and killed Cornwall at the refinery, and am riding back to Wapiti to drop Eagle Flies off (I took a break at this point because the story is blowing my mind). How much of ch 6 do I have left?

One mission away from the end, just go back to camp.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Untrustable posted:

You're a monster. Just shoot it in the head. I came across a guy who was dying or something and I offered him medicine and he said he didn't want that poo poo so I shot him in the head and left his body in the woods. It's about compassion. Also poo poo does your honor affect the outcome of the game? My shits firmly in the grey in Chapter 3 right now.

My honor is nearly bottomed out/dark red because I kept murdering every bounty hunting party they could send at me and delayed paying off bounties. If your honor is low enough you get a decent amount of loot and money off of them too.

It gets pretty annoying though when bounty parties break stranger missions and hanging out with companions. I tried to talk to the guy who buys legendary fish and it kept bugging out on me saying he wouldn't talk to me because of doing crime too recently, but the camera kept me locked onto him until I aimed my gun in his face.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deified Data posted:

You go back for the money in the woods, get stabbed(high honor) or shot(low honor) by Micah. John comes back and watches this. You die.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Untrustable posted:

It only effects what lines you hear during one sequence at the end of the game from what I understand.
with high honor you hear lines from the various people you've helped over the course of the game, with low honor you get an arthur v.o. about how you can't change your nature or something. And I've heard from someone who finished neutral and did basically no sidequests that they just got silence.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

UnknownMercenary posted:

And then I got more money added to my bounty because a witness reported it as animal cruelty.
That's why you murder the witnesses. And the witnesses that see you kill those witnesses. And the witnesses to that and oh look everyone in Valentine is dead how did that happen.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The horrific animations for animals dying slowly are something else, and I guess for people too, but there's definitely still some video gamey poo poo like how I shot a guy in the hand with a pistol four times trying to disarm him and he just died immediately. It's not my fault that fucker wouldn't let go of the gun.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

DrNutt posted:

The horrific animations for animals dying slowly are something else, and I guess for people too, but there's definitely still some video gamey poo poo like how I shot a guy in the hand with a pistol four times trying to disarm him and he just died immediately. It's not my fault that fucker wouldn't let go of the gun.

Lead poisoning.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's why you murder the witnesses. And the witnesses that see you kill those witnesses. And the witnesses to that and oh look everyone in Valentine is dead how did that happen.

And that's the story of how I murdered half of Saint Denis :clint:

Also of note, while settlements are usually safe to hide in from bounty hunters Emerald Ranch does not count because I got attacked by a party while hocking poo poo at the Emerald Ranch fence. I came back a few days later with the bounty cleared and the fence started talking poo poo about me trying to kill him.

Is there any point to holding onto the unique items that are worth money? I have the ancient Viking comb, a meteorite and a Native American ring and I'm not hurting for either money or inventory space. Just wondered if there's a reason to keep this poo poo.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Also, do you get to keep playing after you finish the epilogue or is it a hard ending?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

popewiles posted:

Lead poisoning.

I think I might just be unlucky (lucky?) because I've never gotten some of the more widely talked about animations, like gutshots or neckshots on people, despite having shot people in both of those places.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of interesting how in order to actually complete the "guy gets kicked in the head" random event you have to antagonize instead of greet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deified Data posted:

Also, do you get to keep playing after you finish the epilogue or is it a hard ending?

You keep playing, but I definitely recommend keeping a few saves at the various camp locations along the way if you want to gently caress around at specific points in the game where you have full access to all the various people at your camp and what not.