Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

MMD3 posted:

a few RDO questions that people may or may not have answers for:

1) are bows going to be the way to get perfect pelts rather than trying to use specific weapons? seems like this makes more sense given that deadeye doesn't actually slow time in RD

Yep. Failing that, lassoing the animal and stabbing them. Some animals cannot be killed clean with either method, so you'll either need poison arrows (improved arrows don't appear to be in online at all), or bigger rifles, both of which are level locked.

Makes fishing and bird hurting down in Rhodes a bummer cause dammit there's so many prime gators just waiting to be turned into money but I don't have anything to kill 'em clean with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Capn Beeb posted:

Yep. Failing that, lassoing the animal and stabbing them. Some animals cannot be killed clean with either method, so you'll either need poison arrows (improved arrows don't appear to be in online at all), or bigger rifles, both of which are level locked.

Makes fishing and bird hurting down in Rhodes a bummer cause dammit there's so many prime gators just waiting to be turned into money but I don't have anything to kill 'em clean with.

Thanks, and is there no way to study animals like in story mode?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Maybe I missed it, but is there a ps4 group or something for the online beta?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A posse of 4 up on a hill sniped my horse. I revived my horse and they sniped my horse again. Who the hell shoots a horse?

I have to get to level 28 to buy a lovely dress to look like absolute loving rear end in. Level 98 for a nice one. Jesus christ. No thank you.

None of this looks fun.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It isn't. I spent 45 minutes trying to get to the loving mission marker in Blackwater just to start a mission. It's the definition of not fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krinkle posted:

None of this looks fun.

Slim Killington posted:

It's the definition of not fun.

sounds like GTAO, can't wait to put 2000 hours into it once it hits PC

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Here's a weird thing to say. RDO could take a cue from Ultima Online. Murderers are red and vulnerable everywhere. Good people are blue and safe in towns.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
To everyone dying a lot

Gay Horney posted:

if you see a pink circle running toward you on the map you have every advantage in the world really.

you can literally see the gank coming from across the map. They are not running toward you to give you a high five or sell you cookies, so post up by a tree or some cover and shoot them while they are on their predictable horse with your auto aim. be the hammer instead of the nail it's fun.

All this. Be proactive and aware. It's so much more fun when you stop trying to play it like sp.

Also, try heading for the N / NE region, new Austin is the scrub zone.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 1, 2018

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Seeing a rainbow at 2 am in an overcast swamp, the rainbow mechanics in this game are such bullshit aargh.

*Bows* The Goon, ladies and gentlemen.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

To everyone dying a lot

All this. Be proactive and aware. It's so much more fun when you stop trying to play it like sp.

Also, try heading for the N / NE region, new Austin is the scrub zone.

Assume everyone is there to kill you unless they prove otherwise. Worked out for me in most encounters.

And like I mentioned on the last page, white flags are no guarantee your safe at camp. If some dude is hovering around outside your camp, take out your gun, run in the opposite direction and get ready to fight.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Roman Reigns posted:

Assume everyone is there to kill you unless they prove otherwise. Worked out for me in most encounters.

And like I mentioned on the last page, white flags are no guarantee your safe at camp. If some dude is hovering around outside your camp, take out your gun, run in the opposite direction and get ready to fight.

Just kill horses. That's the best, and most fun, way to kill a man. My horse kill count is way higher than my player kill count. Leave them in the middle of nowhere waiting on the Nag Express or make them spend on revives.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Is getting one shotted all the time how online works because very not fun if so

Also it's cool when a person decides to follow you around killing you all the time for no reason. You spawn close to where you died so they don't have to move much even if you manage to kill them back. Very good mechanic.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Hot Diggity! posted:

Is getting one shotted all the time how online works because very not fun if so

Also it's cool when a person decides to follow you around killing you all the time for no reason

Theres a couple of cards that prevent you from getting ganked.

Unrelated but shooting the horse is definetly the way to go bc im running into a lot of posse's that roll two people to a horse so getting one of them isnt gonna do poo poo anyways.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Givin posted:

Just kill horses. That's the best, and most fun, way to kill a man. My horse kill count is way higher than my player kill count. Leave them in the middle of nowhere waiting on the Nag Express or make them spend on revives.

:hfive:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Or I could just not do any of that stupid poo poo and wait until something lets me work toward objectives without being hosed with.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

This game is going to spill into the next gen console just like GTAO did. PS4 will be left behind so that RDO can actually expand. Riding through Saint Denis in single player gets laggy at times

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I've had a great time in online with a buddy, done lots of hunting and quick join mission etc. Already got myself varmint rifle, pump action shotgun and bolt action rifle.

We've played for like 15 hours this week total.

I think the economy issues are way overblown even if it could be a little more lenient

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Slim Killington posted:

Or I could just not do any of that stupid poo poo and wait until something lets me work toward objectives without being hosed with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVrEwCa8nSA

I'm glad you have an excellent single player game you can play in the meantime.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I looked on the map index and didn't find the Trapper. Hmmm maybe there's some special way to do it in online mode.
Some light googling later...

I'm shook.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you get killed 4 times in a short amount of time by the same person or posse, you should be sent back to your camp imo

If you defend yourself well enough, it gets rid of the nerd attacking you. If you're getting relentlessly owned, now you don't have to deal with the guy spawncamping you.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

If you get killed 4 times in a short amount of time by the same person or posse, you should be sent back to your camp imo

If you defend yourself well enough, it gets rid of the nerd attacking you. If you're getting relentlessly owned, now you don't have to deal with the guy spawncamping you.

You can parley anyone who kills you several times, preventing that person from hurting you for 10 min.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

If this game was smart it would mark the Good Guys who are great at killing murderers

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Sometimes after doing a mission I get loaded into a lobby with no one else on the map. Players I mean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just need one more perfect cougar pelt for God's sake :negative:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'm going to get dogpiled by a bunch of "ah, erm, actually" replies but not having voices for online is a slip up. Half the fun of riding around is telling NPCs to eat my rear end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I just need one more perfect cougar pelt for God's sake :negative:

Don't we all :smug:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Beavers for me.

Just... one... more

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dogen posted:

Beavers for me.

Just... one... more

It's never just one more, is it?

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Tercio posted:

I'm going to get dogpiled by a bunch of "ah, erm, actually" replies but not having voices for online is a slip up. Half the fun of riding around is telling NPCs to eat my rear end.

Nope this is 100% true.

"HEY THERE PARDNER"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you're not riding around singing buster scruggs song into you mic the whole time, you're playing it wrong, anyways.

♫ cool, coooooooool water. ♫

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Necrosaro posted:

You can parley anyone who kills you several times, preventing that person from hurting you for 10 min.

yeah I know

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Not having a 'good boy' button in online is frankly unconscionable

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Parlaying puts you about 2 miles away from your current location though, so if you're trying to get into say a store or a mission it's just an extra "gently caress you" on top of being repeatedly killed.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Just warp to another part of the map in your online options

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Powershift posted:

If you're not riding around singing buster scruggs song into you mic the whole time, you're playing it wrong, anyways.

♫ cool, coooooooool water. ♫

that's a hank sr. song

I will duel you

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hugh Malone posted:

that's a hank sr. song

I will duel you

Do you need a count?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Trying to do Herbalist 9. Here I thought I was smart and collected everything but the 6 herbs that are only available in New Austin/West Elizabeth. I get one of each and somehow I'm only sitting at 42/43, despite starting at 37/43. How. Why. :negative:

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Hugh Malone posted:

that's a hank sr. song

I will duel you

Bob Nolan, recorded by Sons of the Pioneers, plebe. Johnny Cash had the second best version after them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Trying to make Arthur look as close to Abe Lincoln as I can get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For online mode can I sell other players' horses to the horse fence at some point? I have a lot of fun just grabbing them and running away, but I would enjoy such mischief being lucrative too.

Also I was checking the horses to buy and the stable gave me a red arabian for free so uh...ok.