Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
I spent my free gold on clothes, I guess the free winter outfit you can get doesn't have any actual individual clothing items so in order to go back to being shirtless and shoeless I had to buy a coat, shirt, and some shoes just so I could take them off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Krataar posted:

So I'm trying to complete the kit satchel. Any tips on finding and getting the perfect panther skin? I found one near Braithwaithe but other than that I got nothing.

Panthers can also spawn in the bayou and the swamp area around Caliga Hall, but the forest southeast of Braithwaite Manor (directly due east of Catfish Jackson's) is a much more consistent spawn point. My suggestion is to shoot some of the deer or boars in the area to try to bait out any panther spawn. Works best with arrows so you don't immediately draw its attention. Alternatively you can just ride around until a red dot starts darting after you on the radar but it's really easy to get ambushed by the drat things because they make no noise.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Krataar posted:

So I'm trying to complete the kit satchel. Any tips on finding and getting the perfect panther skin? I found one near Braithwaithe but other than that I got nothing.

There are two panther species, and they both spawn south and southeast of Braithwaite. They only seem to spawn at night, and they generally spawn incredibly close to the player, so ideally what you want to do is sneak around after dark with scent cover on, or ride around at high speeds until a red dot starts to chase you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I jumped on to collect my goodies and do a little hunting. Blackwater was really crowded so I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised when I passed several people and no deaths or mayhem. So I thought "oh, I guess the people who just randomly kill folks for no reason got bored and moved on." Then a friend tells me as soon as she spawned into her session to collect her goodies, she was killed almost instantly and several times in a row.

I guess you just roll the dice and see what kind of poo poo you fall in.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I m online rn, where are you gently caress persons at?? Do we still have a crew?

I bought a new revolver and customized it with the gold.. still got 31 gold BARS left.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’ve found that Improved Arrows will take down basically anything larger than a varmint in one shot for a clean kill. Even bison and other big shits. An improved throwing knife between the eyes has worked on anything running at me as well. Getting perfect pelts has been like shopping recently.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SLOSifl posted:

I’ve found that Improved Arrows will take down basically anything larger than a varmint in one shot for a clean kill. Even bison and other big shits. An improved throwing knife between the eyes has worked on anything running at me as well. Getting perfect pelts has been like shopping recently.

Yeah improved arrows are great, kinda weird they're not in online at all.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah improved arrows are great, kinda weird they're not in online at all.
That might keep me from spending all of my time killing birds to craft arrows to kill deer to skin for absolutely no reason. Pretty sure the camp stew is deer pelts and water at this point.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s pretty great when Susan wins a hand of poker

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

I m online rn, where are you gently caress persons at?? Do we still have a crew?

I bought a new revolver and customized it with the gold.. still got 31 gold BARS left.

There's a Discord that some people have been using.

https://discord.gg/Q4UURx

Crews are kind of lame and rely on the person who bought one to be online, which basically allows you to auto join the posse instead of doing it manually.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Krataar posted:

https://rankedboost.com/red-dead-redemption-2/panther/

I used this site a lot for finding specific animals. For me, I happened to get the to the area west of shady belle at dusk and as I crept into the woods with improved arrows equipped a perfect panther came at me.

I wouldn’t expect you to have the same luck, but with cover scent (apply when standing!!) and some predator bait you might get one.

I’d advise saving before you head into the woods and reloading if you don’t get one.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
it's insane to me that anyone enjoys the online deathmatch games right now. team DM is tolerable but everything else is a total disaster and not in the fun chaos way. just a chain of people dead eye headshotting each other.

i know i know "git gud" or "don't play it then" but i genuinely enjoy the random gunfights in free roam and wish it got me more than lost bullets and/or a bounty.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How in hell are you supposed to do the 3 disarms without switch or reloading? I'm using the dual-wield pistols and I just can't get it to reliably happen once let alone three times before needing a reload. I've heard that using dead eye requires you to get them all in one go or else it counts as a reload/switch. Am I better off using a rifle/repeater or something?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I thought this thread might enjoy these photos of a 1910 TB sanatorium. :wink:

There was also a 14-room hotel in the area built even earlier (1870s), but unfortunately I mistimed my walk and the sun started setting on me so I'll have to return for it another day.

Historical photos (this is all in New Mexico btw):
1. The town in the distance of photos 9 and 10 above, as it looked in 1905
2. Some hotel guests leaving the hotel I didn't get to photograph to head into town, 1897
3. Dr. Nathan Boyd, who ran the sanatorium, and his family (his wife, at the bottom with the white dog, contracted TB). Dr. Boyd got into a legal dispute with the owner of the hotel until that man, Van Patten, was bankrupted by the legal costs and sold the land in the area to him for $1, then died destitute a few years later. Dr. Boyd also cooked up grand schemes such as building a dam and selling the water to farmers who would pay by "forfeiting half their land", but alas in the face of massive protests he lost his bid to build said dam. After preventative medicine for TB spread in the early 1900s, his sanatorium also went under around 1920.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheAnomaly posted:

There are two panther species, and they both spawn south and southeast of Braithwaite. They only seem to spawn at night, and they generally spawn incredibly close to the player, so ideally what you want to do is sneak around after dark with scent cover on, or ride around at high speeds until a red dot starts to chase you.

Panthers can also spawn during the day in that area.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Panthers can also spawn during the day in that area.

Just ride out there

Ride around for awhile and realize you're never gonna get a panther to spawn

Hop off your horse and pull your varmint rifle to hunt the large amount of Badgers in the area

Get instantly attacked by a panther while you realize you left your bow on your horse.

Fuckin panthers.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mentalcontempt posted:

What are you hunting/fishing that brings in a couple hundred bucks per 45 min? I enjoy doing those things but haven’t made nearly that much.

A lady never tells!

Focus on small game, birds and fish you can fit stacks on stacks of in your inventory. Big carcasses and pelts are a fools errand, you’ll just lose them to griefers or disconnects.

Find a cozy area relatively close to a butcher so you can shuttle back and forth. What you want is a spot with a body of water that’s got medium size fish like smallmouth/largemouth bass, steelhead trout, etc, a good variety of birds that nest there and a variety of small game like rabbits and poo poo. Don’t overlook the petty game just because it ain’t worth much, it adds up and you can basically carry an infinite variety of poo poo.

When you find your cozy little spot you like to hang, get the right lure for the water. Lake/river/swamp. No need to swap bait, the little baby fish will ignore it and you can just hoover in those sweet medium to large fish for big bucks. Even when you fill up on perfect fish stacks, keep in mind perfect/good/poor are considered different stacks, you can carry 10 of each. So when you’re full up on perfects and goods, lob some loving dynamite in that water and collect the bodies.

Shoot birds, keep your eye to the sky. Spoonbills are worth a fortune and a popular choice, but they’re rare and only nest a few places and everyone knows them. You want a spot that other players mostly ignore. Herons are all over the place and worth almost as much at perfect quality. Pelicans too. Shoot them, pluck them, keep the carcasses if you want for extra cash.

While you’re making your rounds on the fish and birds, keep the Varmint rifle at the ready and pop any small poo poo you see and bag it. Rabbits, frogs, crabs, muskrats, turkeys, whatever. It’s all money, and it’s all safe in your bag.

The key is volume, avoiding big poo poo that’s not worth the trouble, and finding your perfect spot where you can hunt and fish in peace. At my spot I usually just stay out til I run out of varmint ammo, by which point I’m usually around 160 to 200 bucks richer.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007
I know it’s not the fastest way and I should just fish but.. I love getting the carcasses and pelts and taking them to a butcher. It’s a risky gambit but I still enjoy it for some reason.

Plus there was no way I wasn’t killing that loving moose when I saw one by strawberry near the river. I can’t believe that I never saw one in single player then a perfect moose just happens to show up ugh I hate it.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yessssss, Sadie's duster aquired. My outfit is complete. Thanks for the free gold r*

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

lol if you think that "anti-greifer system" means players wont be shooting you in the head until you get good

lol

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hatastrophe posted:

I know it’s not the fastest way and I should just fish but.. I love getting the carcasses and pelts and taking them to a butcher. It’s a risky gambit but I still enjoy it for some reason.

Plus there was no way I wasn’t killing that loving moose when I saw one by strawberry near the river. I can’t believe that I never saw one in single player then a perfect moose just happens to show up ugh I hate it.

Nah I know the feeling. I always try and grab one on my way back to the butcher after I’ve loaded up on small game, so it’s not a loss if it doesn’t make it. I honestly feel like people who are trying to min-max profits with these Spoonbill runs or whatever that end up getting nerfed are cutting off their nose to spite their face. You make way more money just hunting and fishing how you want, where you want and you can pass a lot of time doing it and make a lot of money before you know it because you’re having fun. You can tell how little fun these people are having by how enraged they are when their farming spots get “nerfed.” If they just fished and hunted for fun not only would they not be so miserable but they’d make a lot more money in the long run.

To be fair, I also feel like you’ve kind of got to enjoy hunting and fishing at this point early in the game’s life. I’ve made enough money that I’ve basically bought everything I want that’s not level locked, customized my guns and outfits how I want, etc. I’m basically just hoarding now for future updates. But since grinding out the same story missions is a drag and PvP is broken until they fix the Varmint rifle issue, I feel like this is kind of The Game until we get some content updates. Might as well enjoy it, no reason to turn it into a grind.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I only finished Chapter 4 a few days ago and I am still so mad the game wouldn't let me save Lenny from the Pinkertons. Lenny didn't deserve that! :cry:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hatastrophe posted:

Protip: you can bring back a second large carcass (e.g. another pristine bucks worth $10) by lassoing the dead but unskinned animal and dragging it back to th butcher.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

it's insane to me that anyone enjoys the online deathmatch games right now. team DM is tolerable but everything else is a total disaster and not in the fun chaos way. just a chain of people dead eye headshotting each other.

i know i know "git gud" or "don't play it then" but i genuinely enjoy the random gunfights in free roam and wish it got me more than lost bullets and/or a bounty.

If you can get to the Slow and Steady deadeye ability you can sort of break the varmint rifle headshot meta for the duration of your deadeye use because headshots will no longer waste you instantly.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

The Narrator posted:

How in hell are you supposed to do the 3 disarms without switch or reloading? I'm using the dual-wield pistols and I just can't get it to reliably happen once let alone three times before needing a reload. I've heard that using dead eye requires you to get them all in one go or else it counts as a reload/switch. Am I better off using a rifle/repeater or something?

Use higher damage ammo and use dead eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnL4ki7LyZc

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

OH MY GOD CHAPTER 5 SUCKS PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS SHORT I WANT MY STUFF BACK

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Untrustable posted:

Just ride out there

Ride around for awhile and realize you're never gonna get a panther to spawn

Hop off your horse and pull your varmint rifle to hunt the large amount of Badgers in the area

Get instantly attacked by a panther while you realize you left your bow on your horse.

Fuckin panthers.

I got mobbed by some O'Driscolls in single player. They didn't kill me, the loving cougar that showed up next to them that killed my horse, and then ate my face, did.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ASenileAnimal posted:

OH MY GOD CHAPTER 5 SUCKS PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS SHORT I WANT MY STUFF BACK

It's like 3 (not great) missions if you rush it, and you'll get all your stuff back

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I'm collecting dinosaurs bones but I would get the same experience if I just watched the episode of Homer trying to skateboard over Springfield Gorge.

The Narrator posted:

Ya, use a rifle. You can't deadeye more than once because deadeye reloads. What I did was walk up to one of the guards at the oil place and carefully shoot his gun (from my horse). Then I turned and ran for my life. After a while, the guards all chill out and I trotted back and did the same thing. Once more and I had it. Cheesy but when I was trying it legit, it wouldn't always count.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ playing online really makes me hate the sound of childrens voices

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just wrapped this up and I am sort of baffled at how much of the map goes completely unused. I totally figured the epilogue would take place in new Austin, yet it never goes much past blackwater.

I’m post game and I haven’t even uncovered any of that area or that huge area in the middle of the lake which is like 1/3rd of the map. That’s so goddamn weird

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

veni veni veni posted:

Just wrapped this up and I am sort of baffled at how much of the map goes completely unused. I totally figured the epilogue would take place in new Austin, yet it never goes much past blackwater.

I’m post game and I haven’t even uncovered any of that area or that huge area in the middle of the lake which is like 1/3rd of the map. That’s so goddamn weird

There's literally no point exploring it either. Armadillo is a ghost town with maybe less than a minute of unique story. Tumbleweed is at least a settlement but there's not really anything there beyond one bounty.

I'm getting right mad about this Luxembourg Princess stuff and I'm beginning to think it's actually just a giant piss-take by rockstar that's unsolveable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s so weird that the game had me travel the rest of the map so many times I actually started to know my way around and then decided to neglect an absolutely massive section of it to the point that there wasn’t a single story, or even side mission there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
At least the huge swathes of land that are obviously designed first and foremost for online mode are confined to a certain quadrant of the map this time. I'm still browned off about all the potentially cool locations you just kept seeing whilst driving around in GTAV, only to realise that they served absolutely no purpose in single player and were never going to.

The ending to the hunting sidequest is funny. I've no idea how you're supposed to finish it completely without a guide but it's still good.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just created my online character. First cutscene and I hate my hair. Are there babrbershops in online? Probably not I guess?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Just created my online character. First cutscene and I hate my hair. Are there babrbershops in online? Probably not I guess?

there are

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Yes, you can go fix it for 10-20$ or so

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Do I have to log out of online? Or can I just throw my ps4 in rest mode and will it resume when I boot it back up?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Still mad there's no liar's dice in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I really, REALLY wish poker was a thing in online..... or is it and I've just missed it?