Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

The last red dead if you killed someone in a canyon they would respawn further trapped in the canyon in sight of you with no cover. One of the dumbest things ive seen a multiplayer game do ever. It was pretty easy to do this to somebody or have it done to you unintentionally the way the map was. You actually had to kind conciously avoid doing it to people if you werent trying to gently caress with them.

this is true. the spawn system was so broken it was the most grief friendly thing ever. you basically just had to leave a game if someone decided to start griefing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I also get the feeling we are gonna get homing rockets and poo poo they are just gonna call them "piloted by messenger pidgeons" or some poo poo. It will cost one wheelbarrow of money for each pidgeon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm hopeful that the insane realism of the single player will carry over to the online component. I imagine horses not re-spawning and the limited gun inventory will probably carry over to single player, but who knows.

Honestly, I don't really care about Rockstar making good on actually having good multiplayer modes. If I can wander around with a decent looking cowboy barbie, hunting animals who haven't been greatly reduced, and can play poker then that's fine.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Zigmidge posted:

I want to see one example of Rockstar ever paying mind to balance. You can go as far back as you like.

lol what are you talking about

also max payne 3 owned, actually?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Timeless Appeal posted:

Makes sick youtube video of falling five hundred feet out of hot air balloon and landing on shooter's horse, knocking shooter off, and then trampling shooter to death.

Balloon's firebombs go off on impact killing everyone else in area, rockstar fun detector alerted, game chugs, server crashes

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

in the gameplay trailer it shows the main characters icon go off the map when he crouches into stealth mode so if that mechanic persists online as well it would be perfect

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

if this game added a hot air balloon to ride around the map i think id be cool with that

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Only one kind of flying I'll accept in a Red Dead game.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Thief posted:

Everything about Max Payne 3 owned except the unskippable cutscenes

The multiplayer was great and the community was really cool. It was the last game I ever used a headset to play with randos.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I will return my copy of RDR 2 if those bastards do not make a quest or an entire line/weird area where man animals exist in some fashion.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Can't wait til I can tie up my Palimino to a hitch in MP, quit to single player, log back into MP and have a duplicate horse that I can then sell to the horse broker, and repeat endlessly for Buffalo Bucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I personally can't wait to have a loving messenger boy running after you the whole game says "sir, sir, please stop sir, i have a message from you, sir, a message just for you"

*opens message*

"hey man it's LJT here, Your hat shop needs supplies"

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Thief posted:

Max Payne 3, while amazing, has one of the worst new player vs not experiences I've ever seen in multiplayer. It's almost exactly like a hydra situation.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I give rockstar a bit of credit because GTAV's multiplayer may in fact be the single worst multiplayer experience yet invented but they've just leaned into it and, presumably, made huge amounts of money off the whales in it even though most normal people quit after the first 5 minute long loading screen

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Max Payne 3, while amazing, has one of the worst new player vs not experiences I've ever seen in multiplayer. It's almost exactly like a hydra situation.

except the actual very best guns for pvp (dual PT92's) were immediately available ...and yeah, i guess jumping through windows with an RPG was fun as gently caress even if it took way longer than it should have to unlock while on top of that some of the DLC perks were kind of unfair but you're comparing this to a literal fighter jet capable of targeted a2g attacks with unlimited ammo against a player robbing 7-11s for a couple grand which is pocket change in GTA

also this might be a stretch but i'm gonna go ahead and assume that best horse/hot air balloon in RDR2 will not be able to intercept another player nearly as quickly. i'm sure there will be countless other interesting ways to harass other players. the silliness is a major reason why these games are so great. but i am personally looking forward to a slower paced game where something like a basic sniper rifle/gatling gun will be considered a top tier weapon. shootouts in games like this are way more fun with stuff like revolvers and lever action rifles than MP5s and AK47s

i'm sure there's nothing stopping them from eventually falling back into updates that involve poo poo like a powercreep'd horse seeking TNT launcher but i don't expect this at launch. GTAO was fun for a while but the most significant thing about it has become how much money its made. if they can improve upon this it'll be insanely good and some of us might even find ourselves sinking more hours into RDR2 overall.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I mean i expect the worst but gta onlines popularity was out of the blue even for them they were not prepared for it. Like hopefully they will plan for this one better at least. Starting from scratch planning for that level of popularity i assume it will at least be less janky, better thought out balance wise, and probably have a long term plan for balance. Or not lol.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

imo the biggest problem with gta and gta w/horses is the ui is poo poo and looks like its somehow built off the same foundation as GTA3 instead of just starting from scratch. little stuff like this is why it was so hard to find races in GTAO and the entire lobby system for grouped instances was just downright terrible. there is still an active goon community that does cool playlists and stuff but god forbid you try finding it outside of that

e: they seem to know that keeping as much stuff as possible on the world map is the way to go now though so i'm actually pretty optimistic overall

Thief fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 23, 2018

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Who else is excited for horseshoes?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Youtube speculation video ahead, but I was kinda wondering why some enemies had glowing heads in the gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTfQFqIeAjA&t=38s

There might be some sort of x-ray kill cam thing tied to dead eye this time? That'd be pretty neato.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
GTA Online these days is grim, but in its heyday in the PS3/360 it was a glorious time of glitches and exploits. Granted, it was still pretty grim, but at least you could get billions of dollars of free cash, which if you spent fast enough R* couldnt take back.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What do you mean by grim? I have three characters over level 80 on three different platforms and still play it regularly. GTA Online is enormously popular with tons of new things to do all the time and you guys are talking like it's dying. It's been top three on the best selling list for five years.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What do you mean by grim? I have three characters over level 80 on three different platforms and still play it regularly. GTA Online is enormously popular with tons of new things to do all the time and you guys are talking like it's dying. It's been top three on the best selling list for five years.

Load times are abysmal, finding random races/matches is needlessly difficult and inconsistent, free play lobbies are 0 fun without a few friends and access to most new items costs a ton of real money or tons of hours of grinding.

Basically, a lot of the content is amazing but the ways in which any content is accessed is either stuck behind a paywall or really dumb UI choices that make accessing GTA:O aggravating to say the least.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if the game has more cowboys songs play in the background while u go horseback riding into Mexico the game will be flawless

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I could see "access to content" being a problem if you are starting at level 1 right now but I have played the game since release and never spent a dime of actual money on GTA bucks (and there is now a discount bundle of commonly useful properties sold). The buy-in for the stuff that actually creates new gameplay is not high at all. You don't need to buy every single car or property or outfit or whatever that comes out.

I have zero problems with how they have handled GTA Online because if they sold periodic content updates for $25 or $30 or $40 or whatever with no in-game purchase requirements, the game would have died a couple months after Heists came out and maybe a quarter of the playerbase bought it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the weirdest thing about GTA online's success is that you can often just have a hacker rain 100mil on you and bascially buy everything you want in the game without ever paying more than the base level price

and yes, some people got banned for this or their money deleted. they are bad at videogames and probably used in game text chat to get caught or actually had cheats themselves

but the actual problem with GTA online is that it is terribly unpolished in a way that makes it much less fun to play than it could be. and in general for "the most profitable thing ever" the updates are hardly as good as they should be.

but if they're dumping that kind of money into future projects like RDR2 and who knows what else then we'll all benefit from the sharkcard whales

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Speaking purely for myself here, by grim I just mean thats its just not fun to play and for many of the reasons santanotreal mentions above.

I think if Id been playing it fairly regularly/continuously I might find it a more fun, but logging into it every six months or so, driving around and getting blown up by some dude with a satellite isnt great. Yeah, I know, its the game and whatever, but eh, its not for me at the moment.

Ill probably put more effort into enjoying whatever RDR Online is though, and on a longer term basis.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I loaded it up exactly one time on PC a few months ago. I honked at a guy in a big helicopter and he picked up my car and flew me around for awhile while I flashed my lights. Then he dropped me back off on the highway and I turned the game off. I had a good time. I never did it again.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if rdr2 online doesn't have a heist or similar where you do a train robbery, complete with going up the aisle with a burlap sack people toss there valuables into while your buddy has a fist fight with some white hat on the roof then the online mode is a loving waste imo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agean90 posted:

if rdr2 online doesn't have a heist or similar where you do a train robbery, complete with going up the aisle with a burlap sack people toss there valuables into while your buddy has a fist fight with some white hat on the roof then the online mode is a loving waste imo

I'll be really happy if they incorporate GTA 5-style heists.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll be really happy if they incorporate GTA 5-style heists.

no joke they need to incorporate as many western cliches as possible. why yes I do want to turn in my buddy to collect his bounty then shoot the rope while he's getting hung the next day

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ive played a poo poo ton of GTA Online and when you get can a solid team together to run the various missions and activities its a ton of fun but its not as easy for me to do that as it was when I was like in college or whatever

and yeah the constant load times and UI stuff between you and gameplay just kills momentum when you spend so much time loving around on your phone waiting for something to load

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The absolute best bit of speculation Ive heard recently is that there could be bicycles in the game.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it better have the big wheel on the front

also lol when there is an armored kuruma carriage that will let your throw dynamite out of it for the first year

but it will be the only way to survive against this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZwdLfxTQ8

since there are no apartments it'll be funny if the only thing you can do is temporarily rent a room at the saloon which in all seriousness is the absolute best place for a player hub/horse meet since the bar is at the front door and room for both poker tables and knife fights

endgame is a 1 car garage with a Ford Model T

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Thief posted:

it better have the big wheel on the front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjAfwM9hDc

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

rockstar's mercurial marketing strategy continues with a late night tweet and a bunch of character reveals today on the half hour

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1037460373216092161

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"Its persistent and alive, but also more deliberate and intimate in ways which makes sense for a world where you were still mostly getting around by horse or on foot. You can exchange stories with a barman in a saloon, talk yourself out of trouble with a local lawman, hijack a train or simply rummage through the drawers of an old homestead hoping to find cash or just some food to help the gang survive and seamlessly transition between these things in ways that are both fun and are in keeping with Arthur as a character."

Interview in The Hollywood Reporter

I am absolutely here for train hijack murder sim 2018.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/news/article/60570/The-Frontier-Cities-Towns

Pictures of places and things

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Over on reddit (yes, I know) theyre speculating that there will be a new trailer towards the end of the week. Instead of the usual its been ages, we must be due one by now! theyre basing it on Sonys announcement of their Tokyo Game Show presentation, which will include

quote:

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games) - Trailer

Who knows what itll be. Maybe just one of the previous videos with Japanese subs, maybe a new one.

Here is a link to the announcement.

In other media news, Official PlayStation Magazine has a hands-on preview in its next issue, which is out next Tuesday, the 25th.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Thief posted:

hopefully instead of bringing the same Strange Man back there is a peyote questline or something like that

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1037807663416074240

I'm not sure what this counts as.

Also, having replayed RDR1, I've changed my speculation for the plot. I'm guessing first act ends with you beating the cops, but Dutch abandons the group. Act 2 is a civil war that Arthur loses and act 3 is Arthur getting revenge with the help of the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As long as I get to murder lots of Pinkertons I'll be happy