Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

RVWinkle posted:

Sounds like a video card or video card driver issue.

Thanks for the tip. I tried rolling back my driver and it actually got rid of the swarming pixels. I fully expect to see them again cos the randomness of this thing drives me crazy, but fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The stuttering fix works for me when Process Lasso didn’t, even though they say it’s a fix for nvidia cards. I can finally get online without being kicked every time there’s a cutscene. I stole a player’s horse just to see what would happen, but after 10 seconds of riding it faded out right from under me :confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The stuttering fix works for me when Process Lasso didn’t, even though they say it’s a fix for nvidia cards. I can finally get online without being kicked every time there’s a cutscene. I stole a player’s horse just to see what would happen, but after 10 seconds of riding it faded out right from under me :confused:

There are, amusingly enough, GTAO style horse lockout controls under the Stable portion of the player menu (L), including force dismounting.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Deketh posted:

gently caress me. 100% unplayable now. If I use DX, I get infinite loading screens. If I use Vulkan, it loads but I get a weird screen full of swarming purple & green pixels. Any ideas? I've turned every setting to minimum and no difference.
Weirdly it worked briefly last night.

Same thing happening for me but CTD with Vulcan and trippy purple with DX. I can hear the game and menus work fine. My drivers are up to date though I have a weird video card. I am probably asking too much to have it work at all. Radeon Vega M

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

HungryMedusa posted:

Same thing happening for me but CTD with Vulcan and trippy purple with DX. I can hear the game and menus work fine. My drivers are up to date though I have a weird video card. I am probably asking too much to have it work at all. Radeon Vega M

Weird. I think it's gonna be a while til this thing is reliably playable for everyone

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Rejoice, free aim lobbies are supposedly back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/dwot54/free_aim_lobbies_are_back_pc/

Can anyone confirm? Stupid work, I really want to play my cowboy mans game

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I hosed around last night getting into gunfights and people are so bad at shooting even the free aim didn't help. Yeah if you found someone who was skilled enough to abuse it they could keep you down but you do what you do anytime you find a posse that won't back down: Go somewhere else.

It was actually very nice to be in such populated lobbies. People just want to wave and nod at each other. I defused a 4 on 1 situation with a simple wave and we all went to the bar, got smashed on 50 cent whiskeys and fist fought each other before going our separate ways. I liked the risk of getting owned by auto aim way more than lobbies with 4 people in them that I'll never see.

Nobody is going to echo this opinion because goons all be looking for that next CEO crate to haul in peace.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Where do you opt into free aim lobbies? Because holy poo poo

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Set your PC controls ( I set my controller one as well just in case) to free aim in settings. Pay attention to all the settings you have to set two aim types in each section.
You gotta do it in single player as well.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Ok, so if I set my own settings to free aim then I'll be in a free aim lobby?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah when you connect it'll shunt you automatically to a lobby for your currently set aim settings. You can double check this by having a friend use auto aim and have them join on you, the game will flash a warning about joining a lobby different to your settings.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
So I read a few pages back (I think to the last patch) and didn't see anything about this. I bought the game yesterday, without checking on the pigfuck that this launch has been, played for six hours, and now I cannot launch the game at all. I've updated my card, updated windows, and I still get that launch error and when I try to launch in safe mode it crashes again. I'm assuming that I can't get a refund now, right?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Do outfits or rank improve your Health at all? Or is it just being a fatass?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Do outfits or rank improve your Health at all? Or is it just being a fatass?

Go fishing and skin your skills.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

I hosed around last night getting into gunfights and people are so bad at shooting even the free aim didn't help. Yeah if you found someone who was skilled enough to abuse it they could keep you down but you do what you do anytime you find a posse that won't back down: Go somewhere else.

It was actually very nice to be in such populated lobbies. People just want to wave and nod at each other. I defused a 4 on 1 situation with a simple wave and we all went to the bar, got smashed on 50 cent whiskeys and fist fought each other before going our separate ways. I liked the risk of getting owned by auto aim way more than lobbies with 4 people in them that I'll never see.

Nobody is going to echo this opinion because goons all be looking for that next CEO crate to haul in peace.

I mean cool but it really does put you at a massive disadvantage beyond delivering crates. I did two Railroad Baron free roam events before and after the update and there was a huge difference, and I wasn't even aware they merged the lobbies. I was a bit suspicious because of how some people were able to consistently land 2-3 body shots in a row or chain headshots (without using deadeye) while people are riding at angles from them or zig-zagging on their horse.

Shootouts have a completely different feel on free aim, they're a lot more chaotic and frankly feel more realistic and satisfying. People (myself included) constantly miss simple, close shots because they don't have a controller automatically lining everything up for them. Like in a real shootout.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
What graphics option I should increase to prevent animals and people losing so much detail when looking at some distance? Wolves and elks look pretty funny as they are really smooth until walking a bit closer and they have fur again.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Do free aim lobbies exist on console?

Or are console lobbies always mixed?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, post-patch and... no change that I could discern? Reran the benchmark, no stutters there, and the numbers were pretty much the same. hosed around innawoods and St.Denis/Annesburg, rare (like, maybe twice over the course of 5+ hours) freezes for 1 second or less. Can't find and kill a Pristine elk to save my life, every badger appears to have taken the day off to see a Hugh Jackman retrospective, but I now have another Trapper location, a perfect bear skin I didn't actually need, two snakes, a big ugly D-hilted knife, and the next part of my Lemmy cosplay.

Also running into Murfree Brood kidnapping women, and may have to start crotch-shotting with the pump-action. :clint:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Orv posted:

There are, amusingly enough, GTAO style horse lockout controls under the Stable portion of the player menu (L), including force dismounting.

If someone online steals your horse you can also whistle for it, and it'll buck them off!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Transmogrifier posted:

Go fishing and skin your kills.

Thanks, hopefully all the red dot players won't scream too loudly while I skin them.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Thanks, hopefully all the red dot players won't scream too loudly while I skin them.

I was coming in to amend my post because I think skinning your animal kills gives Deadeye experience, but fishing does give you Health experience.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hakarne posted:

I mean cool but it really does put you at a massive disadvantage beyond delivering crates. I did two Railroad Baron free roam events before and after the update and there was a huge difference, and I wasn't even aware they merged the lobbies. I was a bit suspicious because of how some people were able to consistently land 2-3 body shots in a row or chain headshots (without using deadeye) while people are riding at angles from them or zig-zagging on their horse.

Shootouts have a completely different feel on free aim, they're a lot more chaotic and frankly feel more realistic and satisfying. People (myself included) constantly miss simple, close shots because they don't have a controller automatically lining everything up for them. Like in a real shootout.

There's no "but" about it, I know. Do your sanity a favour and stop engaging in rockstar's crates. There's so much else to do that you don't have to saddle yourself with the idiotic stress of Cripps' business.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When you fully finish rank 10 of a challenge it gives you a new pip on one of your bars (health, stamina, deadeye)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Since you get bad meat off poisoned critters, can it still be sold/donated? Asking for someone who dislikes a certain butcher...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

There's no "but" about it, I know. Do your sanity a favour and stop engaging in rockstar's crates. There's so much else to do that you don't have to saddle yourself with the idiotic stress of Cripps' business.

That entire post you quoted was specifically not about the crates. There are other reasons people want a free aim lobby besides the crates

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hakarne posted:

That entire post you quoted was specifically not about the crates. There are other reasons people want a free aim lobby besides the crates

The setting is locked again once you're online and there's a "cannot change this setting due to network session restriction" red text again now. I don't know if it's actually matching me with only free-aim people again but the PVP event lobbies seem pretty quiet, so maybe?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hakarne posted:

ah my bad I misread your opening sentence which coloured the rest of the post.

In any case, there's no need for free vs auto slapfights, it was only ever a temporary issue that slipped by in the update and was promptly fixed.

Let's end it with this: I agree with your statement about the chaotic good of free aim gunfights with lovely firearms from 150 years ago. I think you will find this gif to be sufficient support of that statement.

https://i.imgur.com/R1E76nV.mp4

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

ah my bad I misread your opening sentence which coloured the rest of the post.

In any case, there's no need for free vs auto slapfights, it was only ever a temporary issue that slipped by in the update and was promptly fixed.

Let's end it with this: I agree with your statement about the chaotic good of free aim gunfights with lovely firearms from 150 years ago. I think you will find this gif to be sufficient support of that statement.

https://i.imgur.com/R1E76nV.mp4

I agree, I think free vs auto slap fights are dumb. Play whatever makes you happier when shooting your guns. I just wanted it out there that there's more to free aim than just easier deliveries. Enjoy your (free or auto) western gunfights, fellow goon. :patriot:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

On the other hand if you aren't playing free aim then you're a coward

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Fishstick posted:

If someone online steals your horse you can also whistle for it, and it'll buck them off!

Speaking from experience, a 12 gauge to the face will also do the trick :clint:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What counts as a "Showdown"? I did a shootout lobby but it put me into a loving race.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't know. I think there shouldn't be free aim online but at the same time the shooting in rockstar games is so bad I'm not sure how to do without it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dutch keeps gaslighting me and it's a hell of a thing

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Finished the main story and I'm blown away, the whole game isn't just AAA, it's AAAA.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone got the message on PC they got a free raccoon hat for setting up 2 step verification? Where do I find it?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

TescoBag posted:

Anyone got the message on PC they got a free raccoon hat for setting up 2 step verification? Where do I find it?

Wait wtf? I had to punch mine off of a drunken hillbilly and they're just giving them out now?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Someone was posting earlier about it being hard to get arthur fat and I'm back to post this

https://youtu.be/VOIRGK_bJiY

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

Wait wtf? I had to punch mine off of a drunken hillbilly and they're just giving them out now?

You say "punch off a drunken hillbilly" like it's a bad thing... *all* item redemption should work like that.

In the game, too. :v:

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER

Hihohe posted:

Someone was posting earlier about it being hard to get arthur fat and I'm back to post this

https://youtu.be/VOIRGK_bJiY

Doesn't it have to do with PC release specifically increasing time artificially based FPS? I read something about that, made me chuckle. Why would you ever use that to track game time, in any game, ever. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakarne posted:

There's also a companion app/website for online where they sell some things that aren't sold in-game and the raccoon hat is one of them.