Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
:woop: :woop: Moose baited at the north (waterfall) end of Cattail Pond this morning.

OHSHI CYBERMOOSE SYSTEMS MODEL 101! Took *4* Express rifle headshots (verified in Deadeye for brain shots) and still ran off, only to fall down about 50 yards off and scream in agony until I stabbed it. Good pelt. :catstare:

Gonna run back up to Barrow this evening nd try baiting there again.

Should have a good haul for the fence when I get there again, been wiping a minimum two camps per non-snow-zone run, too bad I can't just put up a bounty poster of my own - I'd pay $50 for a perfect moose hide right now.

Stopped off in Valentine, running from Cumberland Drop (neither moose nor cougar to be found) to Cattail, to get in a quick bar fight. Quicker than planned, as I bumped into someone as I can in the door, and instead of howdy/defusing, I accidentally pulled my gun. Put it away, but too late, a bunch of town aggroed so I bailed. Dude was already shooting, so I stabbed him a bunch, and they called it a murder, such bullshit.

To top everything off, since returning from his island vacation Arthur has been in his riverboat-gambler tux and top hat exclusively, except for his furry winter suit (legendary bison/elk gear, looks reidiculous but oh so warm...).

You Murfrees want trinkets? I got 'em for ya:

In my right I carry Mauser, in the left Midnight's gun,
If the first doesn't getcha, switch to the other one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
a bear bit my head and took my hat :(

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

verbal enema posted:

a bear bit my head and took my hat :(

Was it the Legendary Bear hat?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

FuturePastNow posted:

they really ought to add the trapper to online

They really should, as his shacks out in the wilderness are there in online in the same places they are in single player.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you need some kinda special bait to catch legendary fish? If so where can you get it? I don't wanna google any more about this game after getting spoiled on at least 70% of the ending by some brokebrain softhead redditor putting ending spoilers in his thread title when i googled how to fix a treasure map glitch.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Do you need some kinda special bait to catch legendary fish? If so where can you get it? I don't wanna google any more about this game after getting spoiled on at least 70% of the ending by some brokebrain softhead redditor putting ending spoilers in his thread title when i googled how to fix a treasure map glitch.

First find the stranger who wants the fishes, along the shore of flat iron lake. Then buy the special lures in Lagras.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah okay, i found the stranger, but not yet Lagras. I'll come across it eventually and remember that they are there, cheers.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lagras is pretty blink and you'll miss it. You're probably come across it a few times already.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What should a relatively new player prioritise buying for online? I’m around level 18 and I’ve unlocked trader and collector. Also I’ve bought a bolt action, fishing rod, bow, varmint rifle, the trader specific saddle and horse, and the outlaw pass. Any specific weapons or upgrades that are just better than others? I’m thinking about getting a new sidearm and the next trader wagon when it unlocks. What about weapon upgrades?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
My goal early on was saving up enough money for dual Mausers. The double-barreled shotgun is probably my most-used gun though.

Gun upgrades, I just get them all since there’s nothing detrimental about them, all just boost the guns stats. Even the wrap will help your gun get dirtier at a slower rate.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What should a relatively new player prioritise buying for online? I’m around level 18 and I’ve unlocked trader and collector. Also I’ve bought a bolt action, fishing rod, bow, varmint rifle, the trader specific saddle and horse, and the outlaw pass. Any specific weapons or upgrades that are just better than others? I’m thinking about getting a new sidearm and the next trader wagon when it unlocks. What about weapon upgrades?

Hunting wagon is super useful for the traders role. Moonshining is pretty easy money too once you set up

Your bolt action will serve you well until the Springfield unlocks. You may want a pump action shotgun too, those are great for rear end in a top hat players and animals.

Shoot whatever birds you come across, feathers are valuable and flight feathers in particular are useful for fancy arrows.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Depends on what you want to do, Collector profession was a way to get XP and money easy, reliably and fast thanks to the RDR2 Collectors Map. It broke in the last update, but it is already been updated to be rather useful again. If you enjoy RDR as a walking simulator and just watching vistas, I'd go with that for a while. Therefore buying a shovel and a metal detector from the Collector lady would be my first goals. Also aim to get some basic weapons, the Bolt Action Rifle is already super useful like mentioned. Instead of the pump shotgun I'd go with the double barreled one, it only has two shots, but those two shots can be hammered out a lot faster. That's the difference between a dead Cougar and a Cougar mauling you between cycling your shotgun. Also get a Vermin Rifle, someone mentioned hunting birds is a good income source, it's true and the Vermin Rifle is the best weapon to take out birds and other small critters with the best skinning results.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah if the collectors map is useful again then getting those is the easiest money. You'll also level up really fast too just by turning in collections. Which you can do at a post office!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Does anyone have a link to that quick high value collector item loot jpg?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Sleekly posted:

Your bolt action will serve you well until the Springfield unlocks. You may want a pump action shotgun too, those are great for rear end in a top hat players and animals.

Speaking of this, gently caress the
Wolfman legendary bounty.

I'm not even going to bother trying to kill infinite wolves until I can afford a Cavalry Horse and a semi-auto shotgun.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

Does anyone have a link to that quick high value collector item loot jpg?

It's actually linked in my last post, right where it says RDR2 Collectors Map. But I guess that's easy to miss, so here is the link in plain text: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

My goal early on was saving up enough money for dual Mausers. The double-barreled shotgun is probably my most-used gun though.

Gun upgrades, I just get them all since there’s nothing detrimental about them, all just boost the guns stats. Even the wrap will help your gun get dirtier at a slower rate.

Stock component upgrades, the wood grain one, does nothing through?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Feindfeuer posted:

It's actually linked in my last post, right where it says RDR2 Collectors Map. But I guess that's easy to miss, so here is the link in plain text: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Appreciate it!

Do you have to have a map for all of these? Are they all just sitting in the world or what?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

Allows you to personalize your guns a bit, which is fun. Other weapon upgrades do help though: scopes, rifling, sights.

PaybackJack posted:

Appreciate it!

Do you have to have a map for all of these? Are they all just sitting in the world or what?

They're just sitting out there. The in game collector map just helps you find them if you weren't aware of the site's existence, basically.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The maps you can buy or get as rewards will give you quest-style map markers where to look for certain collectables. But they are not needed to actually find them. Some collectables will need you to have a shovel and in some cases both a shovel and a metal detector. That's why those are things you should bee-line into buying if you want to get rich collecting. All those things are just sitting around in the world, or are buried beneath a tiny pile of dirt in which case you need a shovel… or buried without any visual indication, in which case you also need a metal detector. The linked map will tell you with a little icon if you need a shovel or a metal detector (tiny horseshoe magnet icon).

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
ITS SNOWIN SIDEWUYS

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

pmchem posted:

Stock grain is purely cosmetic and doesntvhelp performance as far as I can tell

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Oberst posted:

Stock grain is purely cosmetic and doesntvhelp performance as far as I can tell

Unlike varnish, however. Everyone knows the red ones shoot faster.

:blastu::haw:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Feindfeuer posted:

Oh yeah I've been using that to check stuff off while playing, it's super handy though I'm still unclear on the cycles thing because I was picking up collectibles last night from what the map was saying were multiple different cycles (mostly from cycle 4 and cycle 1).

with regards to the actual map I was on about, I was referring to the one that someone had worked out for the higher profit items only. It was a map snapshot with a zig-zagging route from the north-east corner of the map downward and westward. I just didn't want to go through x number of pages of backposts scrolling like crazy for it if someone had it handy. The patch probably invalidated it anyway so it's not a big deal. The map you linked is exhaustive and interactive so it's clearly superior.

I may try to hop on later to actually posse up with some folks because for the most part I've just been selling dead animal parts, collectibles and fenceables and occasionally dipping into the various PVP series. I don't have Trader or Moonshiner unlocked yet but at least I can earn gold doing dailies and quests.

Feindfeuer posted:

The maps you can buy or get as rewards will give you quest-style map markers where to look for certain collectables. But they are not needed to actually find them.

This is also really good to know, the collectible maps in game are a money trap and that linked map is far more accurate about the placements anyway.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 25, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've probably used my semi-auto shotgun more than every other weapon combined. You have to get close, but wolves and ambushes come to you so that's rarely a problem in PvE. And the bolt-action is a great medium-long range gun. I'm terrible at using sniper scopes, though.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

with regards to the actual map I was on about, I was referring to the one that someone had worked out for the higher profit items only. It was a map snapshot with a zig-zagging route from the north-east corner of the map downward and westward. I just didn't want to go through x number of pages of backposts scrolling like crazy for it if someone had it handy. The patch probably invalidated it anyway so it's not a big deal. The map you linked is exhaustive and interactive so it's clearly superior.

That is the very same map, click the arrow in the top left corner -> scroll down -> select the type of collectible to gather (or even search for specific items in that type if you're missing specific) -> scroll down -> enable custom route : yes -> click those markers to get the very same red lines between them. Someone posted a route earlier in this thread, yes, but that should be invalid by now and even if it would be valid, it only be on one cycle (lasting a day) of the multiple ones there are, so you're better off filtering for high profit collectables like Jewelry and create a new route yourself. You can export them so you'd only need to go through that hassle once every day until you had all the cycles covered.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Feindfeuer posted:

That is the very same map, click the arrow in the top left corner -> scroll down -> select the type of collectible to gather (or even search for specific items in that type if you're missing specific) -> scroll down -> enable custom route : yes -> click those markers to get the very same red lines between them. Someone posted a route earlier in this thread, yes, but that should be invalid by now and even if it would be valid, it only be on one cycle (lasting a day) of the multiple ones there are, so you're better off filtering for high profit collectables like Jewelry and create a new route yourself. You can export them so you'd only need to go through that hassle once every day until you had all the cycles covered.

Well colour me educated! Thank you for introducing me to the fact that I completely overlooked that functionality because I was so eager to get to rootin tootin and lootin. I appreciate you taking the time to point that out.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Glad I could help, sadly can't provide any routes myself as I am very casual about the collecting at the moment. I'll open the map and see if anything is nearby after doing a mission, bounty or delivery, but I rarely race across the map to collect stacks of stuff anymore.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

Oh yeah I've been using that to check stuff off while playing, it's super handy though I'm still unclear on the cycles thing because I was picking up collectibles last night from what the map was saying were multiple different cycles (mostly from cycle 4 and cycle 1).
The cycle stuff is mainly from before the most recent patch and doesn't really matter, the map should show you everything that is currently up. The collectibles respawn and change location every day at 7 PM EST

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I started a moonshine sale with my posse, and got stuck in an infinite black load screen. I quit the game, loaded back in, and then it said I was "starting content" and could neither invite people or stand down from my posse. My friends could choose to join the posse, and it would give the message that they joined, but they couldn't actually join. I went back to my shack and tried to do the sale to see if that would help clear it out. I made it out of the load screen, but there was no wagon and no sale. It would not let me invite or stand down, but now the message had advanced to "active content" instead of "starting content." No idea what it will be like when I log in next; I took that as a sign it was time to stop.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Transmogrifier posted:

They're just sitting out there. The in game collector map just helps you find them if you weren't aware of the site's existence, basically.

Thanks for this. Splurged on the offhand holster and a second LeMat and dropped down to $80. Hit the stuff I could around a few areas on the map and between this and some hunting, got back up to $400. Also got some nice exp.

I guess I screwed myself out of selling them as sets though, how much more do you get when you can sell these things as a complete set?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Like literally 5k apparently, I still haven't completed any though

Orv
May 4, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Thanks for this. Splurged on the offhand holster and a second LeMat and dropped down to $80. Hit the stuff I could around a few areas on the map and between this and some hunting, got back up to $400. Also got some nice exp.

I guess I screwed myself out of selling them as sets though, how much more do you get when you can sell these things as a complete set?

If you sell one of every set, which you can do daily - a not insignificant process that will take you several hours - you make around $3,500, give or take a bit. You can make a solid $800 and change with a much faster route of just coins and heirlooms.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I played the crap out of this game last year and am giving Online a go now. Any active Posses I can join on PS4?

Feindfeuer posted:

Wow, this is amazing! I spent forever looking for an arrowhead a couple nights ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can you sell full game carcasses to the butchers in towns or can you only donate it to the camp?

Orv
May 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Can you sell full game carcasses to the butchers in towns or can you only donate it to the camp?

You can and with a couple odd exceptions I believe a full carcass is always more. A pristine white tail buck is $10 so I try to always have one of those as my big thing when I do a load of hunting turn-in.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
You're telling me that after the single player game there's an online part with like character classes and roleplaying? What the hell

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orv posted:

If you sell one of every set, which you can do daily - a not insignificant process that will take you several hours - you make around $3,500, give or take a bit. You can make a solid $800 and change with a much faster route of just coins and heirlooms.

Also get 1500 XP per collection, which really adds up.

Be careful not to sell the weekly collections, as they pay less and selling one of them may take items that would go in one of the main collections, costing you even more money. And they're listed first so they're easy to sell if you're not paying attention.

E: and no one roleplays in online aside from the occasional yahoo with a fake cowboy accent

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Orv posted:

How long does it take for a collectible to respawn after you loot it?

Dang I gotta get some more rank so I can get the metal detector.

I had a funny situation where I was heading to a place in the desert and saw another guy ahead of me. I assumed he knew where the item was and ran into a house so I followed him in and took a double barreled shotgun blast to the face. Guess he thought I was going to try and kill him as it turned out the collectible was outside on a wagon.

Probably the only time I've felt like getting randomly killed by another player was justified.

It's such a shame the servers are such a fickle beast because this game is so much more fun as a game online where there's an actual progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orv posted:

You can and with a couple odd exceptions I believe a full carcass is always more. A pristine white tail buck is $10 so I try to always have one of those as my big thing when I do a load of hunting turn-in.

I found out why i couldn't sell the full buck that i had, it was on the next page. And how do i take off large skins from my horses rear end? It's not showing up in the horses inventory nor is it able to be interacted with.

Do i have to find a jeweler or something to sell the gold pocketwatches and rings I have?