Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Paperback Writer posted:

Apparently animals aren’t spawning when the server you’re in has 14+ people in it (PS4)

no animals no play

I’m gonna call horseshit. I’m on ps4 and my lobbies are usually 22 people and I’ve never had much trouble with animals spawning. Not saying it’s not happening to people but it’s not true that 14 people means no animals for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

well it’s not like there’s zero. Certain areas definitely won’t spawn any at all though. I don’t know, I just saw more than one person say that.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
If I want to hunt in Lemoyne I'll load in New Austin then fast travel. It seems to be based on how many people are in the region, not as much about the total in the server. I also seem to have luck finding more game right after stating a free roam mission, a bounty or a supply run. Usually if I find a load of deer after starting one of those I'll just abandon the objective and hunt.

I also believe the wagon scares off animals, so I try to use it like a corpse bank like others have suggested.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It's time to talk about "horse whistling range" as a mechanic.

The very idea that in a video game, especially a gigantic open world game, you can enter a state where you simply... just don't have access to your mount because "the game put you a few more feet in this direction, gently caress you" is the dumbest, most useless, most fun-sucking mechanic, even in RDR2 which is chock full of dumbass tedium. Jesus. It should never be in any game with a mount system. "Mount health" and the ability to lose mounts at all is *almost* as bad, but somehow horse whistling range is even more annoying.

This "mount use distance" mechanic literally entirely nullified the entire mount system in Breath of the Wild, which is why in an expansion they effectively removed it by giving Link a "call horse from anywhere" spell, and all it does in Red Dead 2 is piss you off on the rare occasion where a loving mission forces your horse out of range, at which point your only choice is to slooooooowly walk/jog yourself to some stable to regain the ability to get on with the game. The mechanic does absolutely nothing to positively serve gameplay or player experience, and it definitely doesn't make the game more fun in any way whatsoever.

Whatever complete idiot keeps putting this trash in games needs to stop.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
lmao

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Did you develop the system or something? Why are you defending it? How has it made the game more fun for you?

Or, do you think it's beneath you to listen to critiques of video game mechanics in a video games forum you paid to be a member of?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 27, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
It's a fine mechanic, you nerd.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just had the jump scare of my life in this game, walking through the swamp fishing for catfish when WHEN GOD drat GIANT BOE FALLS FROM THE TREES AND STARTING EATING ARTHUR!

This game. :argh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Transmogrifier posted:

It's a fine mechanic, you nerd.

No it's not, you complacent idiot.

I'm game for actually discussing it if you want to give a reason beyond "I like game so everything about it is good and if you no like game then you don't like what I like so you = bad" though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
The range at which you can whistle for your horse is actually very large at bond level four. Rarely does a mission actually throw you in a location where your horse is not available nearby in some capacity. If your horse cannot find you, it is often because you are on elevation that the horse does not have access to. Run around more on foot and your stamina will go up, and consume bitters to allow yourself to run longer distances. You won't use the bitters (or most other tonics) anyway during single player.

That is all I am saying to you because you are definitely more aggro than I am, and I get pretty aggro. Several goons can attest to that.

ETA: Buy a horse post for your camp.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Dig up stupid

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Being as it's a relative, no matter how distant, of GTA, just follow the same rules: your ride not there? Any ride is your ride.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Transmogrifier posted:

The range at which you can whistle for your horse is actually very large at bond level four. Rarely does a mission actually throw you in a location where your horse is not available nearby in some capacity. If your horse cannot find you, it is often because you are on elevation that the horse does not have access to. Run around more on foot and your stamina will go up, and consume bitters to allow yourself to run longer distances. You won't use the bitters (or most other tonics) anyway during single player.

That is all I am saying to you because you are definitely more aggro than I am, and I get pretty aggro. Several goons can attest to that.

ETA: Buy a horse post for your camp.

I'm not angry at you or any of the posters here, and to be fair I only started with the name calling because I was called something first.

To answer you though, I have bought the camp horse post and I have leveled up my horse to the point where the whistle range is very large. Despite that though, in the past half hour or so, I've done two missions that after completing, have thrown me into the wilderness with literally no option but to just... run to the closest stable, or kill somebody and take their horse which I'd rather not do. I'm just saying that this adds absolutely nothing to the game other than annoyance.

I would ask you to consider that the only thing you've told me about the mechanic is that "it gets to be less of a total pain if you minimize it via methods X,Y,Z" which don't you think that in itself kind of points to it being just a bad addition to the game overall?

Again the game is good overall but there are just some choices Rockstar has made with it that are really, really poor.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dude just steal another dudes horse. You are an outlaw this is what you do.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Noone likes engaging you because you're only ever COMPLETELY OUTRAGED at whatever you're talking about and it's loving tedious to deal with. You don't actually want a conversation because you're already 100% convinced that your opinion on the matter is the only justifiable one.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Noone likes engaging you because you're only ever COMPLETELY OUTRAGED at whatever you're talking about and it's loving tedious to deal with. You don't actually want a conversation because you're already 100% convinced that your opinion on the matter is the only justifiable one.

It's this. For years.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Just have your horse flee for those parts of the mission where you have to go on foot or fight a swarm of enemies. I've failed more than a few bounty missions by forgetting to do this.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hihohe posted:

Dude just steal another dudes horse. You are an outlaw this is what you do.

Hell, wild horses spawn all over the place and take minimal work to break enough to ride to your own poop-generator. Or clear a gang camp, 2-4 horses (if reinforcements come) right there. And if you can take a few hits, you can steal a horse with the owner shooting at you and ride like the wind out of range/LOS.

I've only had a few where my horse wasn't right there after mission's end - Lenny's Big Drunk Night Out, the return from Guarma - and a couple train rides where horsie decided to stop following the train somewhere along the way, but unless there's more past mid-Chapter 6, I'm pretty sure they can be counted on one hand. Hell, my big dumb white girl followed me and Charles up the river to Cambodia Butcher Creek - turns out if you ride your own horse there, Charles won't "borrow" one.

Cowboy up, get horse, and Yee Haw. :clint:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Except that I just said I'd be happy to have a conversation about it. And I am, like we're doing now. :)

Anyway, when I post opinions like these, I mean yeah they are what they are, but when I post them here it's because I'm casting feelers out there to see if other people share my opinion or if I'm crazy, at which point people on something awful dot com will usually, articulately, tell me that/how I'm wrong, which is more than can be hoped for in most other places on the internet, really. This can be a good thing because if I'm wrong and my understanding of whatever the thing might be is set straight, I'll like the game more. If I'm right, then other people will agree and we can start talking about the specifics of how future games might improve. It's not like there isn't the odd game developer on the forums after all.

So having said all that, does anybody else agree that they don't like that mounts have a range at which point you can't use them, or does anybody like it because they like having one more thing to keep track of? There are no real wrong answers of course, but I know which way I prefer.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2019

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Nope, poo poo's fine. Wander the beautiful landscape.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
About the only thing I'd worry about if the horse isn't available is if I had a goodly bounty on my head - six-to-eight mounted enemies would be kind of obnoxious - or if I was out in Cat Country.

Well, if I was schlepping along a rare perfect hide, too. "Will those inbred hill hicks let me get this to the Trapper?"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Speaking of terrible things that happen in this game, my awesome white arabian horse just bugged into a Tennessee Walker.

Awesome.

edit: relaunching the game didn't fix it. Great.

Evil Badman posted:

Nope, poo poo's fine. Wander the beautiful landscape.

I'd love to wander the beautiful landscape... faster than 2 mph.

If only I had something I could, at any time, I don't know, signal for which would boost my traveling speed until actual setpiece gameplay needed to happen, that the developer doesn't arbitrarily lock me away from after every 5th or so mission.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 28, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Most of the time I'm not into "realistic" things in games that serve only to annoy, but I found that most of the stuff in rdr2 served to increase my sense of versimillitude and kept me playing the game at a slow pace, and really enjoy and savor every bit. Getting into playing the role of playing Arthur Morgan is essentially what I was forced to do, contrasted with something like rear end Creed Odyssey, which was a fine game, but never made me feel like I "was" Kassandra or inhabiting a real place.

Obviously ymmv but I hope this is enough of a "conversation" for GreatGreen's sake. :cheeky:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I hope this is enough of a "conversation" for GreatGreen's sake. :cheeky:

Thanks for a sincere response. :)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I went directly from an OCD binge of The Division (1, not 2) to.. OCD bingeing on Yeehaw Skyrim. I'm *still* twitching because all the movement is so *s l o o o o o w*. (Also missing the Magic Hate Ball, because that would be *hilarious* at Six Points Cabin or the big setpiece town gun battles.)

(Man, give me the same weapons loadout and Deadeye in Div1, and I would show all these drat Yankee peckerwoods the righteous fury of the outlaw. "You want four hundred premium credits for a drat cowboy hat?" <unloads dual Volcanics into merchant>)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I had a situation like this earlier. I was at the top of the map chasing that hawk egg that's way up in the snowy hills. Right when I get to the egg I get disconnected. Finally get back in and I'm somewhere south of where I was before and my horse is no where in sight. So I had to trudge up the snowy river and get the egg horseless, as there was obviously no horse to steal being that far up in the middle of nowhere. After I got the egg, I just joined a story mission which teleported me down to the desert so that worked, then my horse reappeared. Thank goodness for that matchmaking teleport though. I was not looking foward to the probably 10 minute walk back to the nearest fast travel post.

So I agree that having a range on when you can call your horse sucks, and it should just be like TW3 where it appears out of sight and rides in.

Thanks to everyone for the collectible advice, I went on a spree and got everything West of the Emerald ranch. Then hit a few spots to collect the last of a few collections. I was only able to knock off the liquor one, as one of the wild flowers and one of the birds didn't spawn where the map said it would. Got a ton of other stuff though, just ridiculous, went up like 6 levels, and from the random hunts I snagged along the way managed to get enough to grab a Litchfield. I guess the next step is saving for a Carcano so I can start properly hunting alligators and the like.

Speaking of animal spawns in the period of like 5 minutes west of Manzanita Post I was set upon by 3 bears and 2 packs of wolves. I've never seen that many hostile things spawn in such a quick period. Good hunting though! Saw a ton of animals up in Big Valley too so that's definitely where I'm going to head once I get this Trader wagon going.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don’t know about losing your mount in other games, but I kind of liked the one or two occasions that you were separated from your horse because of a mission. For the Lenny one it puts you within walking distance of Reverend Swanson’s poker mission if you haven’t done it. Otherwise it kind of fun to try something different in a game that’s about verisimilitude. You’re never actually that far from a solution that fits within the game world and it happens literally twice across a 50+ hour game.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

This game did such a great job at being played at a leisurely pace. I don't mean by hours played in a row but the character you are playing as and the world itself being leisurely. All the animations, the slower movement, the actual pace of play. It fits the western narrative and forces your brain to slow the gently caress down. The game demands you take everything in. It has weight. You can 'feel' your character doing the actions he is doing. Call it clunky or call it realism but the developers really did something amazing.

I bought the game two hours before it released on PS4 and I've been playing this poo poo since. The bugs will be annoying, you will question design decisions, poo poo will be frustrating, but after the story is over you will probably want more.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So the game really did bug out and my white Arabian was replaced with a slovenly Tennessee Walker, so I downloaded a trainer and now I have a white Arabian again. It's a male this time though. Hearing "atta boy" when I'm talking to my horse after all those hours hearing otherwise is weird. I miss my old horse. :/

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

So the game really did bug out and my white Arabian was replaced with a slovenly Tennessee Walker, so I downloaded a trainer and now I have a white Arabian again. It's a male this time though. Hearing "atta boy" when I'm talking to my horse after all those hours hearing otherwise is weird. I miss my old horse. :/

Single player? Just go back and get it from lake Isabella. It’s always female.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

PaybackJack posted:

I had a situation like this earlier. I was at the top of the map chasing that hawk egg that's way up in the snowy hills. Right when I get to the egg I get disconnected. Finally get back in and I'm somewhere south of where I was before and my horse is no where in sight. So I had to trudge up the snowy river and get the egg horseless, as there was obviously no horse to steal being that far up in the middle of nowhere. After I got the egg, I just joined a story mission which teleported me down to the desert so that worked, then my horse reappeared. Thank goodness for that matchmaking teleport though. I was not looking foward to the probably 10 minute walk back to the nearest fast travel post.

So I agree that having a range on when you can call your horse sucks, and it should just be like TW3 where it appears out of sight and rides in.

Red Dead Online horse teleports to near you on whistle.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GreatGreen posted:

I'd love to wander the beautiful landscape... faster than 2 mph.

If only I had something I could, at any time, I don't know, signal for which would boost my traveling speed until actual setpiece gameplay needed to happen, that the developer doesn't arbitrarily lock me away from after every 5th or so mission.

You can steal horses, not sure if this has come up yet yw

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Evil Badman posted:

Red Dead Online horse teleports to near you on whistle.

Not all the time. I kept getting a "horse couldn't find you" message, when that occurred.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I didnt read any of those really dumb screeds since horse whistling is fine

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

Not all the time. I kept getting a "horse couldn't find you" message, when that occurred.

Again this happens because you are in a spot that your horse can't get to you. All you need to do is move to flatter terrain, preferably near a road or trail of some kind, and try again.

Also take note: horse whistling in multiplayer is different from single player. In MP you can whistle for your horse anytime, anywhere, but there is a range for it in single player. They both still follow similar rules though in that you need to be somewhere where the horse can get to you or it may not come.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Single player? Just go back and get it from lake Isabella. It’s always female.

Pretty sure it's random.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

weg posted:

If I want to hunt in Lemoyne I'll load in New Austin then fast travel. It seems to be based on how many people are in the region, not as much about the total in the server. I also seem to have luck finding more game right after stating a free roam mission, a bounty or a supply run. Usually if I find a load of deer after starting one of those I'll just abandon the objective and hunt.

I also believe the wagon scares off animals, so I try to use it like a corpse bank like others have suggested.

Yeah, the hunting wagon is noisier and scares the animals from farther away. I just ride around on my horse and if I see to nice deer, I shot one, then lasso and stab the other, then I stow one on the horse and drag the other back to camp. Still not sure if the wagon was worth the price.

In other news, the hackers on PC are having a field day today. I tried to start a resupply mission, Cripps froze, and I had to quit game (to be fair, that could just have been Rockstar bullshit). Started another resupply mission, my horse immediately exploded on contact with me, and so did the scrawny nag. Loads of other players were also blown up this way. Changed session, started resupply mission, was immediately teleported to another part of the map, with several other confused players. Fun times.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing PC since launch, and it's only been in the last week I've actually experienced hackers myself. There's an influx of them right now because of the holidays, and I won't be surprised to see it clear up after the New Years. Maybe Rockstar will even catch a few of them.

And also, GreatGreen, if you're already using a trainer to get a new Arabian, why don't you just use it to call your horse anywhere too? Pretty sure they can do that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for the gambling challenge of knocking out 5 or whatever players in every region? I can't ever find a poker game anywhere. I'm in chapter 4 now, been all over Strawberry, Valentine, Rhodes and Saint Denis multiple times over like 40 hours played now i'm sure and the only poker game i've ever seen was the scripted one where you bail out the preacher.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I couldn't use the Arabian for too long in SP (haven't even had an urge to get one in MP yet), it's too skittish and cowardly and it can make getting into fights or traveling through some areas a pain on horseback. Nothing else quite has that speed + handling combo that an Arabian does but I'll take being able to stay mounted when there's a snake or a wolf nearby over raw speed in a game with a fast travel system any day.

Plus, having a braver horse means it wouldn't run so far away when I had to/was forced to dismount for fights so whistling didn't end up being a problem lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never had near the issues with the Arabian every one else had. The only time it threw me off is when I got attacked by animals but so did every other horse I had.