Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Small birbs, I usually bag by slowly horsing or walking, with the Varmint rifle out and ready, and full Deadeye - if you spot small air traffic (in normal or Eagle Eye) *immediately* mark and shoot.

You can use most any ranged weapon, but that .22 pump will give you the best quality carcasses.

Please don't get so locked in on birbing that you miss the seven O'driscolls lurking up on you, or that grizzly/cougar/gator that just went aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

boy the story in SP just grinds your face in it huh

i loving hate dutch more than ive ever hated a video game character

At least he's charismatic! Ted Faro on the other hand can completely gently caress himself

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
*sigh* I really don't feel like grinding out this Halloween Pass, but obviously I simply MUST have this goth bar

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Trustworthy posted:

*sigh* I really don't feel like grinding out this Halloween Pass, but obviously I simply MUST have this goth bar

Mail in any lingering collector sets, drop a big trade run, zero in on the easiest dailies every 24 hours, or just plain pay the gold. Quad figure XP dumps make it cap out stupid fast.

RDO's Halloween content is 100% phoned in by the work experience kid compared to Games As Service big hitters like Warzone, but the level of investment needed feels about right and I'd put it several notches below anything you could refer to as grind now that there are so many big ticket role XP things.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I can't wait for more OpenIV updates for this game. The modding potential is insane, I've been playing with a banking mod, a bounty hunting mod as well as a simple mod that gets rid of those bullet trails. I've also added a damage mod that makes the peds bleed out and also can be downed without outright being killed. It makes you think more about the act of killing, while making use of the antagonization function, by talking to a shithead who's now bleeding to death. I just need some clothing mods, and a portable gatling gun and we're all the way into spaghetti western territory.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

croup coughfield posted:

boy the story in SP just grinds your face in it huh

i loving hate dutch more than ive ever hated a video game character

But the plaaaaaan Arthur

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!

Nash posted:

But the plaaaaaan Arthur

Honestly, it's not even that. I could work with a guy who's a tryhard fuckup but doing it in good faith - we all have people like that in our lives. Dutch is a narcissistic manipulator from the first frame, spouting off his dumb Millerian spirit of America bullshit. I hate him so much. Good writing in this game.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Playing for the first time finally! I just killed the legendary bear and then immediately on the way to the trapper, tried to rescue a woman stuck under a horse. I was mashing E and somehow ended up punching her accidentally. So not to be an rear end in a top hat, I reloaded the autosave and the trapper is now gone and I'm stuck with the bear pelt. I got back to the camp but it seems that there's nowhere to store it.

Is there another trapper somewhere? How can I summon him? Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck with carrying the pelt around on the horse, but I'm afraid I might need the space for something else in a mission and would have to drop it.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 102 days!

mobby_6kl posted:

Playing for the first time finally! I just killed the legendary bear and then immediately on the way to the trapper, tried to rescue a woman stuck under a horse. I was mashing E and somehow ended up punching her accidentally. So not to be an rear end in a top hat, I reloaded the autosave and the trapper is now gone and I'm stuck with the bear pelt. I got back to the camp but it seems that there's nowhere to store it.

Is there another trapper somewhere? How can I summon him? Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck with carrying the pelt around on the horse, but I'm afraid I might need the space for something else in a mission and would have to drop it.

There's trapper locations all over, though it's probably gonna be a trek for you right now:

https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Trapper#Locations

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

That bear battered the absolute gently caress out of me.

I've discovered explosive rounds this time (shooting every bird in sight has helped). They're brilliant aren't they? Heads disappearing in a shower of gore.

Looking for robins and orioles now. gently caress me these little birds are hard. I keep thinking leaves and insects are birds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

croup coughfield posted:

There's trapper locations all over, though it's probably gonna be a trek for you right now:

https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Trapper#Locations
Thanks! It did take a while to get there but I was able to find the spot by Annesburg(?) based on the map. I actually googled for it but mostly got useless forum threads.

Gambrinus posted:

That bear battered the absolute gently caress out of me.

I've discovered explosive rounds this time (shooting every bird in sight has helped). They're brilliant aren't they? Heads disappearing in a shower of gore.

Looking for robins and orioles now. gently caress me these little birds are hard. I keep thinking leaves and insects are birds.
The bear hosed me up pretty bad too. I dunno to what degree this was scripted because I managed to shoot him in the face a couple of times but it ended up like this anyway

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! It did take a while to get there but I was able to find the spot by Annesburg(?) based on the map. I actually googled for it but mostly got useless forum threads.

The bear hosed me up pretty bad too. I dunno to what degree this was scripted because I managed to shoot him in the face a couple of times but it ended up like this anyway

:lol: I just ran into the same bear scene last night on my playthrough, too. I escaped with a sliver of health and decided not to pursue it, since my weapons didn't seem to be doing poo poo to him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just remember guys, no matter what you use to kill legendary animals, you'll always get a perfect pelt.

As an aside apropros of nothing, dynamite exists in this game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bear hunting is a delicate ballet; to emerge victorious you must have the finesse and discipline required to equip as many bullets as you can at once, and unload them all on the target's nose in deadeye

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dameius posted:

Just remember guys, no matter what you use to kill legendary animals, you'll always get a perfect pelt.

As an aside apropros of nothing, dynamite exists in this game.

Note: Using explosive ammo to get the legendary animals in online however will result in ruined carcasses.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Also poison weapons, which work just fine in SP, do gently caress-all to Legendaries in Online. :smith:

Still work on the legendary-hunt-like critter missions, though - I usually get those from wosshername at Macfarlane. Think I got one from Sean at his little camp between Blackwater and Quaker's Cove once.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a place I can see what the legendary animal outfits for online look like? Or at least get a list of the ones available so I can google them individually? I want to pretty princess and I'm not sure which one I want to go for.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

Is there a place I can see what the legendary animal outfits for online look like? Or at least get a list of the ones available so I can google them individually? I want to pretty princess and I'm not sure which one I want to go for.

Here's the original ones, from when Naturalist dropped.

Everything since has been different colors/patterns, p. much. Got me the spotty panther myself, and I think I still prefer the Iguga cougar.

Moose, bear and ram ones aren't illustrated there, but googling for "RDO Legendary Animal Outfits" should do the trick.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I could go for some Night Beaver.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The new bow is amazing lmao

RATTLE ME BONES

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ygolonac posted:

Here's the original ones, from when Naturalist dropped.

Everything since has been different colors/patterns, p. much. Got me the spotty panther myself, and I think I still prefer the Iguga cougar.

Moose, bear and ram ones aren't illustrated there, but googling for "RDO Legendary Animal Outfits" should do the trick.

Perfect, thanks!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Was having fun and knocking out some easy dailies.

Got up to get dinner because I was waiting for dawn anyway, this egg just wouldn't come down. Had a 3 star buck. Life was good.

Come back: Disconnect.

Don't make me hate you RDRO, loving you is hard enough :qq:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought RDR2 on PC a while back but even though my specs are perfectly fine for it at 1440p it just ran like garbo. I saw RDR2 for like $25 on the PS store so I went ahead and picked it up. I'm kinda hoping PS4 / PS5 will share RDR Online, but I'm assuming they wont

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

loving hackers. I managed to kill the white legendary bear and loaded the skin on my horse. As I started riding away I was teleported to a railroad bridge halfway across the map in the middle of about 50 panthers and instantly mauled... And then it happened a second time while I was waiting for my horse to show up. Lost the skin. loving pathetic scumbags.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hakarne posted:

loving hackers. I managed to kill the white legendary bear and loaded the skin on my horse. As I started riding away I was teleported to a railroad bridge halfway across the map in the middle of about 50 panthers and instantly mauled... And then it happened a second time while I was waiting for my horse to show up. Lost the skin. loving pathetic scumbags.

poo poo like this is exactly why i have not bothered with online. Unless they offer private servers, i will not spend any more time with it. I've never had a session go without me getting harassed by some idiot. My friends that I played gta:o with were all ready to drop serious time and even some money into this, but totally balked at online and we have never looked back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't encountered any more bears thankfully so far. Though the giant gator was pretty scary!

I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. That said, is the morality thing supposed to be a joke? You can kill 50 people who I'm sure weren't nice people, but weren't bothering anyone, or a dozen cops no problem (ACAB), but rob a guy or steal a horse and you lose a point? Doesn't really matter but I'm wondering how seriously it should be taken and if it makes any difference.

Also just got owned by a random gang encounter when riding back after capturing McDaniels. It's across like half the map so I used the auto-drive thing in cinematic mode, but the issue is that it might too late by the time you hear or see them. Oh well.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
You can get a different ending with low or high honor but it is ridiculously easy to earn back any you lose. A few pats of your horse or a few howdy partners gets you right back. I personally never really worried about it outside of doing a low honor play through.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Hakarne posted:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why i have not bothered with online. Unless they offer private servers, i will not spend any more time with it. I've never had a session go without me getting harassed by some idiot. My friends that I played gta:o with were all ready to drop serious time and even some money into this, but totally balked at online and we have never looked back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_lPsAj5irM

This works flawlessly.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Do you also get a warning about modded files? That concerns me

Edit: You know what, I don't care. The game loads 10x faster, there are shittons more NPCs, no hackers, and everything is just better. Fuuuuck this is nice

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 2, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

Edit: You know what, I don't care. The game loads 10x faster, there are shittons more NPCs, no hackers, and everything is just better. Fuuuuck this is nice

Innit, tho? You're going to find encounters you never knew existed, like the anti-social moonshiners that you can loot the Poison Poppy's recipe from. Which, in unmodded, was stupid-rare to find. Dogs to follow. Nests to protect from critters (so you can loot the eggs yourself).

I got warnings for a short while, but after deleting the actual skip-screen bit, they disappeared. (Make sure you keep that file you edited, is all.)

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Hunting legendaries is a miserable experience. I’ve been trying for days to get the Onyx Wolf. He showed up once in a really glitchy/wonky way then ran off. I’ve probably spent another 6-8 hours trying to get him to respawn with no luck.

How did they gently caress up something that works perfectly fine in single-player? IDG why it has to be a miserable, soul-sucking grind just because it’s online. You’re not getting more money doing it that way, we already bought the drat role!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Open-world legendaries have a weird set of spawn restrictions.

Something spawns and is lost/can't be hunted due to doing other poo poo? Will not respawn for like three days.

Kill a legendary of the same *type*? Nothing else of that type will spawn for three days.(Sun Gator harvested? Forget about the Teca, then.)

Any game activity in the spawn area? I've mostly seen "clear quickly and fast-travel out and back" touted as enabling the spawn, but I can't say for certain myself. (That moonshine camp up northeast of Emerald Ranch will lock down the western legendary bison spawns.)

There may be a delay for legendary spawns if you conclude a different one - different type, of course. Not certain, because I've done a Harriet for the bison up near Hanging Dog, and run into a Zizi beaver on the trip back to Strawberry.

Suggestions (mainly Reddit YMMV) include doing an open-world spawn before hitting up Harriet for one of the same type, as those apparently aren't affected by the "rules".

There's a long info-post on Reddit from someone who ground all hell out of legendaries to discover the rules - I'll try to find it later, to link.

Oh, and being posse'd up can cause stuff to spawn, even though it's been excluded for type or whatever, as long as someone in the posse hasn't gotten it ruled out.

Please note also that other player activity can affect the spawns as well, from ruleouts due to type or spawning activities in the area. Not to mention modmenu shitbird, or just old-school griefers killing you or the critter and suchlike.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Hakarne posted:

Oddly enough, I get it at random. Despite not changing any files. As far as I know, cheat detection in this is basically nill and the only way people get popped is if they get reported by other players.

Hakarne posted:

Hunting legendaries is a miserable experience. I’ve been trying for days to get the Onyx Wolf. He showed up once in a really glitchy/wonky way then ran off. I’ve probably spent another 6-8 hours trying to get him to respawn with no luck.

Yeah I've noticed a decrease in legendaries lately as well. Course last night I found the ghost panther out near the butcher factory outside of Saint Denis, that was fun. Went looking for a collectible, saw a panther take down a doe. That's cool, I'll just tranq the cat.

Oh poo poo another panther in the bushes to my left oh gently caress

oh poo poo one behind me what the hell oh no

I get the third one sleeping and get sidelined by STREAK OF WHITE ANGRY CAT :froggonk:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Oddly enough, I get it at random. Despite not changing any files. As far as I know, cheat detection in this is basically nill and the only way people get popped is if they get reported by other players.

there would be something kind of funny about getting your account banned because you installed a mod that allows you to avoid modders

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I've noticed a decrease in legendaries lately as well. Course last night I found the ghost panther out near the butcher factory outside of Saint Denis, that was fun. Went looking for a collectible, saw a panther take down a doe. That's cool, I'll just tranq the cat.

Oh poo poo another panther in the bushes to my left oh gently caress

oh poo poo one behind me what the hell oh no

I get the third one sleeping and get sidelined by STREAK OF WHITE ANGRY CAT :froggonk:

I have probably brought wolves to the brink of extinction with how many I've killed. I'm in a solo lobby and I've cleared/killed anything that might be interpreted as an event to try to get it to spawn (again). The first time the icon appeared but there were only two regular wolves - I checked with deadeye because I was going to ambush and blast it. So I started killing them then the legendary appeared as if by magic out of nowhere, either by design or by a bug where it apparently can spawn in the ground. Either way, dumb. it started spawning a bunch of other wolves so I hopped on a rock intending to blast it, but then it turned tail and ran. I couldn't get my horse to come because it was getting harassed by the other wolves. I eventually did, started following it's trail, and then it magically despawned while I was tracking it. So it appeared/disappeared through dumb video-game logic bullshitter-y which really pissed me off.

I just... why does it have to be like this. Why would they do this

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

I have probably brought wolves to the brink of extinction with how many I've killed. I'm in a solo lobby and I've cleared/killed anything that might be interpreted as an event to try to get it to spawn (again). The first time the icon appeared but there were only two regular wolves - I checked with deadeye because I was going to ambush and blast it. So I started killing them then the legendary appeared as if by magic out of nowhere, either by design or by a bug where it apparently can spawn in the ground. Either way, dumb. it started spawning a bunch of other wolves so I hopped on a rock intending to blast it, but then it turned tail and ran. I couldn't get my horse to come because it was getting harassed by the other wolves. I eventually did, started following it's trail, and then it magically despawned while I was tracking it. So it appeared/disappeared through dumb video-game logic bullshitter-y which really pissed me off.

I just... why does it have to be like this. Why would they do this

Can't recall which wolf it was, but it was a Harriet job, ended up north of Valentine by the big falls, and the wolf itself had been caged by poachers, and was a slightly-difficult trank job. Second time, I had wolfpack spawn, still south of the river, and with lots of mauling, shooting and potion-draining, I finally killed it. Sounds kinda like your experience.

The one total lupine swarm i had otherwise was way up north on the road past the SP-legendary-buck-spawn, and there were at least twelve wolves in total murking the swarm of O'driscolls that had spawned in to ambush me. Got fewer wolf skins out of that because the corpses were despawning while I was riding and running to take the next batch. Think I died twice, but spawned back in close enough to draw the slavering doggos back to me.

At the end of all that, the last two O'driscolls come dragging rear end up to start poo poo. Not a good idea. :clint:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

drat it, fell asleep early and threw off my schedule and missed the daily.

It's pretty mean to reset a 60 day streak back to zero for one day. I'm gonna ask nicely for support to restore it, if they don't oh well, I could stand to let it go.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

skooma512 posted:

drat it, fell asleep early and threw off my schedule and missed the daily.

It's pretty mean to reset a 60 day streak back to zero for one day. I'm gonna ask nicely for support to restore it, if they don't oh well, I could stand to let it go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Alright, I'm done with this again. I came back to try naturalist after burning out and it's so poorly implemented it's not worth it. "Sedating" animals is just hunting them with a BB gun... so instead of shooting it once I have to follow it around and shoot it 5-7 times with something that feels somewhere between a nerf gun and an airsoft rifle! Filling the log sounded fun, I liked the idea of tracking animals and observing them. But the exp is stupidly loving low and you can't actually complete it without doing the dumb sedate mechanic. And you need to find at least 2 of the same animal because you can't fully study just one!

But hey, they put in something for hunters too. Legendary animals, that was a lot of fun in single player! ...This is the most miserable, lovely thing I've experienced in a game since camping world bosses and rare spawns in Final Fantasy loving XI at release. I spent hours.... hours trying to find them. Solo lobbies and public lobbies; optimal times and non-optimal times; riding between spawn points and combing the whole area; focusing one animal/species and trying to find a different one; changing sessions and staying in the same session. I'm on a ~12-14 hour stretch without seeing a single legendary. Not a single motherfucking one. I'm all about things being uncommon or difficult to find/track, but loving hell what good is having legendary hunts if the animals don't even loving exist 99% of the time you're going to go looking. And the few I did find before this horrid drought, 2 out of 3 were lost to mod-menu morons or online's general jankiness. I really wanted to get back into this but nope... gently caress this bullshit.

Phew... it feels good to get that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rockstar support denied my request. They also said it can't be reversed, even though I know it can. I wrote them feedback saying that that policy is overly harsh, but whatever.

:rip: Happy trails cowpoke, I'm gonna mosey.

I'm free now! Maybe I can go back to SP if I get the itch for rootin-tootin.