Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
iirc one of the issues with GTA IV driving was that you spend the first third of the game in lovely neighbourhoods with only lovely cars to drive. So although the driving isn't great, you're starting with the worst cars as well which makes a bad impression even worse.

If true, it's probably one of the reasons GTA V has you start the story literally by stealing a supercar :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
You mean legally repossessing a vehicle for a legitimate car dealer. :colbert:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

LeeMajors posted:

GTAV rules precisely because it is so cynical and depraved. Like yeah it’s a bit cartoonish but they did a pretty good job lampooning modern American social decay.

I can't wait to see how they transplant that to 2020s Florida, which is the absolute leading edge of American depravity.

I'm not sure where they have left to go for the Red Dead franchise. I think I'd like to see something back to the 1870s with new characters. Hit us with that immediate post-Civil War era.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

webmeister posted:

iirc one of the issues with GTA IV driving was that you spend the first third of the game in lovely neighbourhoods with only lovely cars to drive. So although the driving isn't great, you're starting with the worst cars as well which makes a bad impression even worse.

If true, it's probably one of the reasons GTA V has you start the story literally by stealing a supercar :v:

to be fair, the best cars in GTAIV still only handle roughly as well like, lamar's lovely van. while significantly less realistic everything is smoother in GTAV, even the combat where auto aim turns you into john wick with almost no effort (though this part is basically true in RDR2 also)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FuturePastNow posted:

I can't wait to see how they transplant that to 2020s Florida, which is the absolute leading edge of American depravity.

I'm not sure where they have left to go for the Red Dead franchise. I think I'd like to see something back to the 1870s with new characters. Hit us with that immediate post-Civil War era.

Yeah GTAVI has real potential to get nutty.

And for RDR, going back to a young Hosea or doing a post-RDR2 parallel universe running a revenge tour as Sadie Adler would be incredible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, we have done The Death of The West now, let that story rest for the time being.

It's a video game, just give me the Wild West at its height and in full stereotypical form. What amounts to a Man with No Name game set in the 1860s/70s and don't tie it to any of the established characters. Young Dutch and Hosea making a cameo is fine, but I don't want any more of the Van Der Linde Boys.

Just give us some wish fulfillment Rockstar.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, we have done The Death of The West now, let that story rest for the time being.

It's a video game, just give me the Wild West at its height and in full stereotypical form. What amounts to a Man with No Name game set in the 1860s/70s and don't tie it to any of the established characters. Young Dutch and Hosea making a cameo is fine, but I don't want any more of the Van Der Linde Boys.

Just give us some wish fulfillment Rockstar.

I was thinking the same thing yeah. The “last days of the Wild West” is a cool setting and I think they did a great job with it but let’s see that fuckin golden age

If it has to be tied to current characters, you could frame it as the unreliably narrated flashbacks of Uncle (which may or may not be what red dead revolver was the whole time I guess)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I want them to do a full "peak Wild West" game and at the end reveal that you've been playing the adventures of Young Uncle

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

I want them to do a full "peak Wild West" game and at the end reveal that you've been playing the adventures of Young UncleRains Fall

:hmmyes:

ShakeZula posted:

I want them to do a full "peak Wild West" game and at the end reveal that you've been playing the adventures of Young UncleBlack Belle Elizabeth Colter, legendary gunslinger

:haibrow:

ShakeZula posted:

I want them to do a full "peak Wild West" game and at the end reveal that you've been playing the adventures of Young Unclethe Strange Man

:chanpop:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Charles Goes to Canada and Invents Ice Hockey

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I said it before, they need to do a RDR/GTA in a Prohibition gangster setting where you play as Jack Marston :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the first few mafia games and the godfather game showed very well that cars before like 1970 are no fun in a gta type game

Maybe they could make it work, idk

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RDR2 is a little early for even most of the earliest cars but the lack of bikes is ahistorical. You shouldn't be able to walk in the street in St Denis without being hit by a bicycle

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Immersion ruined. Uninstall.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FuturePastNow posted:

RDR2 is a little early for even most of the earliest cars but the lack of bikes is ahistorical. You shouldn't be able to walk in the street in St Denis without being hit by a bicycle

The lack of bicycles in the majority of open world games is disappointing. Another reason San Andreas was one of the greatest games of all time.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
After very slowly playing through this game for the past year, I'm up to chapter 6 and finally decided to do some real hunting and collect pelts for the satchel upgrades... But I was riding around with like 6-7 perfect pelts on my horse, only to get instantly killed by a loving mountain lion out of nowhere, and dying deletes all your horse cargo!!! Why??? Dying doesn't really have any major consequences otherwise, so what is the point of deleting your progress for one specific thing like that. Anyway, its made me question why I was bothering with such a pointless collectathon in the first place, so who knows if I'll ever get it done after all. I did like the hunting though, it made me explore a bunch of places I hadn't been to yet, and it gives you a reason to wander the wilderness, which I think is one of the best experiences this game has to offer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grand theft pennyfarthing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Also the game is set like 30 years after the invention of the modern baseball hat and you can't buy one. No baseball bat melee weapon either.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FuturePastNow posted:

Also the game is set like 30 years after the invention of the modern baseball hat and you can't buy one. No baseball bat melee weapon either.

come to think of this this bothers me more than the bikes lol

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Now I'm just thinking of Dutch taking a bat to Cornwall's bloated head after giving Arthur a "watch this poo poo" look.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Could have had [url= https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GS39vMhag-A]an old timey baseball minigame [/url]

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They should really wear bowler hats (or derbies if you're in the colonies), the official late 19th century crash helmet.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Could have had [url= https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GS39vMhag-A]an old timey baseball minigame [/url]

Oh, poo poo, the next red dead redemption game needs to not be about crime or cowboys at all

It needs to be an 1890s time period baseball game where you play as rube waddell

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Kudos to the legendary fishing advice upthread, I would have never guessed you're supposed to keep yanking the fishing rod over and over like pulling a rope or something. I also switched to the 'hold down button to reel' option from the rotating stick because gently caress that I remember those Mario Party calluses

This one is still a bitch though. I caught so many muskies in the middle of a blizzard before it finally bit :gonk:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Wolfsheim posted:

I remember those Mario Party calluses

I love what a universal experience this is for gamers of a certain age.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Collecting cigarette cards is neat but I think all the smoking is making Arthur cough a lot?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

All You Can Eat posted:

Collecting cigarette cards is neat but I think all the smoking is making Arthur cough a lot?

He’ll be fine, smoking is good for you, refills your deadeye

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

rotinaj posted:

He’ll be fine, smoking is good for you, refills your deadeye

checks out :clint:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
All of the printed letters, catalogs, and articles were such a cool attention to detail.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Having learned there is a litany of bugs to the game, it's hard to find a solution for my particular issue. I've been having this issue with certain missions where NPCs involved in the mission will stop acting/stand in place and certain locales won't render. For example, I'm early on in Chapter 2 having to rob a stagecoach + house with Hosea. He'll stand in front of the house, objects/collision won't load IN the house, and even taking the stage coach won't progress the mission. I've tried going to the house before the mission, doing it at different times of day, restarting at every possible point... no dice. This is even without any mods installed, mind you.

Any particular pointer for the issue? I see a lot of suggestions of "try deleting the game and reinstalling" but I'd rather gently caress off than redownload 120 gb.

UPDATE EDIT: Turns out verifying the game files through social club actually did the trick. I can't believe I forgot to try that.

Yestermoment fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 13, 2024

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Yestermoment posted:

Having learned there is a litany of bugs to the game, it's hard to find a solution for my particular issue. I've been having this issue with certain missions where NPCs involved in the mission will stop acting/stand in place and certain locales won't render. For example, I'm early on in Chapter 2 having to rob a stagecoach + house with Hosea. He'll stand in front of the house, objects/collision won't load IN the house, and even taking the stage coach won't progress the mission. I've tried going to the house before the mission, doing it at different times of day, restarting at every possible point... no dice. This is even without any mods installed, mind you.

Any particular pointer for the issue? I see a lot of suggestions of "try deleting the game and reinstalling" but I'd rather gently caress off than redownload 120 gb.

You say no mods so I'm assuming you're on PC, if you're playing through Steam have you tried right click on it in your library > Properties > Installed Files > Verify Integrity of Game Files ?

Also how old is your hard drive, not dying? Stuff not rendering reminds me of when I found out my hard drive (wasnt a SSD back then though, dont know if that makes a difference) was dying during a coop game of Dead Rising 2 when things wouldnt load right in game.

I am barely technically proficient at PC issues so take all this with a grain of salt. Most of the time I had issues with a mission in game a reload would fix it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I found an abandoned postal carriage with a bunch of letters inside. Is there anything that can be done with them? I'd hoped to return them to a post office but apparently that doesn’t work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Node posted:

All of the printed letters, catalogs, and articles were such a cool attention to detail.

Despite pumping an astonishing number of hours into the game, my mother had no idea that catalogue actually included anything more than basic information about the stuff you can buy. She was so thrilled when she realized there was even more story in the game for her to devour :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Creature posted:

I found an abandoned postal carriage with a bunch of letters inside. Is there anything that can be done with them? I'd hoped to return them to a post office but apparently that doesn’t work.

you can read them, from memory they're quite amusing