Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’m cool with anyone waiting for PC in spite of it not being announced but they should have to sign a contract promising that if it never actually comes out on PC they don’t spend the next 8 years complaining about Rockstar not releasing the PC port every time somebody mentions RDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

That's just it, like with GTA5 they have the money to put on a magnificent show, audiovisually speaking, but it's almost as if there is a hidden stubbornness to it all; they've largely stuck to their controls for a very long time for whatever reason when better options are available. I genuinely hope RDR2 will be the one to break from that pattern and give in (not that it would even be a significant thing to give in to) and have controls that are more widely accepted nowadays. It may seem like a small thing but it absolutely adds up over several hours of gameplay.

This is also just a matter of preference. I definitely agree there should at least be a toggle in the controller settings so everyone can have what they want, but I greatly prefer stick to walk/additional input to run in pretty much every immersive third person game, especially open world ones. Exceptions are stuff like Uncharted where constant frantic jogging and running fits the tone most of the time. God of War’s strikes a nice balance where you’ve got a slow jog max before a toggle sprint.

Running by default in a game like Assassin’s Creed Origins drives me crazy, I just want to saunter around like a big dick badass and feel immersed in this richly crafted ancient world, but everything about the control scheme seems geared to railroad me into sprinting like an rear end in a top hat over and through everything from GPS dot to GPS dot as fast as possible. Just maintaining a natural walk through a market requires careful feathering and constant vigilance to not bodyslam ancient cleopatras through their ashrams. It’s exhausting

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

The last red dead if you killed someone in a canyon they would respawn further trapped in the canyon in sight of you with no cover. One of the dumbest things ive seen a multiplayer game do ever. It was pretty easy to do this to somebody or have it done to you unintentionally the way the map was. You actually had to kind conciously avoid doing it to people if you werent trying to gently caress with them.

this is true. the spawn system was so broken it was the most grief friendly thing ever. you basically just had to leave a game if someone decided to start griefing you

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’ve played a poo poo ton of GTA Online and when you get can a solid team together to run the various missions and activities it’s a ton of fun but it’s not as easy for me to do that as it was when I was like in college or whatever

and yeah the constant load times and UI stuff between you and gameplay just kills momentum when you spend so much time loving around on your phone waiting for something to load

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

RatHat posted:

It feels weird to me that we're a month away from release and yet we've barely seen any gameplay. Is Rockstar usually like this with their games?

Pretty much yeah

It is weird that second gameplay trailer they announced hasn’t come out yet though

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

... did... did you just totally miss the gameplay trailer they dropped? :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_oH5oiUSE

They've already teased more trailers like this, going into detail about other aspects of the game as well. So this is 1/?

that was at the start of August and we haven’t seen one since then though with the game only a month out, which is kind of frustrating.

but yeah I do agree that people are being ridiculously nitpicky about this game, starting from the hysteria months back about how it probably wouldn’t even have single player because of Rock$tar.

if you don’t really play games for the story and want to skip through whatever you can I guess more power to you but rockstar’s whole thing is kind of these story driven immersive exposition type of games. you have to know going in that’s the design direction and you may not be the target audience

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Tercio posted:

Seriously. Anything that gives you serious money is going to be $19.99 or more.

loving none of them give you serious money. The $100 one is like a few million, barely enough for one of the new vehicles

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I rewatched Assassination of Jesse James last night, and have started Yellowstone which is great so far. Thought about hooking up the 360 and replaying RDR1 but think I’m just gonna be binging westerns til release instead

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MonkeyLibFront posted:

If you have the disc for RDR its backwards compatible on the Xbox One.

Don’t have one of those

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I really hope the launch of RDR2 doesn't keep people from voting here in americaland. :ohdear:

a real cowpoke exercises his constitutional rights partner

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Has Lazlow always been a writer for Rockstar? I thought he was just in charge of the in-game radio.

He always has been, or at least since GTA2 I think

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Fool posted:

This is not originally my idea, but it's the best theory that I've seen yet:

Arthur retires and becomes a politician, and the events in RDR1 happen as a result of him trying to clean up his past before running for Governor or some other higher office.

Ohhh poo poo, this makes a lot of sense

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

god I can’t wait for this loving game

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the music sounds fantastic in that leaked clip

also for anyone who's watched Yellowstone, Arthur Morgan gives me a real Rip Wheeler vibe which is great because Rip Wheeler owns

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is that 30 minute recap the one with the dude doing the horrible accent? because I couldn’t bear 5 minutes of that

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

a lot of very thorough critical opinions and analyses from people in this thread and others who haven't played the game

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Pylons posted:

Wow. "The Iniquities of History" might be my favorite stranger mission in the game.

I went from feeling deeply sorry for that guy to simmering with the need to put a bullet between his eyes so loving fast. Arthur’s disgust with him was perfect.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i cannot wrap my head around the difficulty people are having with the bounty system. literally just leave the scene of the crime. you have so much time to leave. don’t loving worry about the witness, someone will just wind up seeing you silence the witness and you’re still hosed. but if you just aren’t actively still at the crime scene when the law finally shows up you won’t be caught

it’s literally just that John Mulaney bit about crime in the 30s, except it also applies to crime in the 1800s

https://youtu.be/rmcwqe5-Si0

i don’t think I’ve gotten a bounty once outside of story mandatory ones, and I’ve never bothered with the bandana or anything. my big secret maneuver is to just not actively still be doing a crime when the law shows up

if you’re getting a bounty because a bunch of lawmen actively see you doing a crime, then I mean, yeah

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

uncle w benefits posted:

Despite my Arthur being a glowing, virtuous, and downright chivalrous outlaw, each time I talk about my **~feels~*~* with Mary Beth or Tilly, Arthur keeps talking about how he's descending deeper into psychopathy. Talking about how he kills animals needlessly, is growing more and more violent for no reason, etc. Yet, I give rando dum dums who got snared in their own traps or bit by snakes the good medicine out of my satchel.

Is this bizzaro world?

At least it spawned for you. Despite having no bounty I still get 'too much activity' messages.

Stupid broke dick game

I mean, you kill roughly 800000 people per story mission and probably a lot of good animals along the way too, and the necessity behind the carnage becomes more and more questionable so I don’t think it’s a weird thing for Arthur to say

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just finished the main story and got the good ending, though I didn’t realize at the time there were multiple endings.

pro-tip for people who have given up on having good honor, you need high honor to get the good ending

be a good cowpoke like me fellers

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Tercio posted:

how many endings are there? two?

4 technically I guess

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My honor was barely above 50% and I got the good ending supposedly.

yeah I'm pretty sure basically if you're seeing visions of the deer you're good to go if you're seeing visions of a wolf you need to clean up your act

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Aphex- posted:

gently caress me the epilogue is looking like it's going to be as long as the actual story, it's insane.

finished it last night, it’s about 6 hours long I’d say.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

repeating shotgun loaded up with slugs is where it’s loving at

despite knowing how things eventually turn out I had such a big stupid grin on my face the whole epilogue. cannot wait for this game’s soundtrack to come out

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

is it a proper prequel? i'd heard some poo poo about some of it being post rdr1, that true?

it's a prequel, bridges the gap between 2 and 1 and sets everything up for the 1st. none of it is post RDR1

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

Reading between the lines in some of the dialog i got the impression dutch sees the ledger as evidence that you are the actual leader of the gang and he knows it and imo thats a lot of his motivation as he spirals out of control. You bring home the bacon and he cant do it. Theres a time where he gets real sullen about this.

On the other hand dutch might just be in the throes of a bipolar meltdown haha.

E: to be more clear the only motivation to put money in seems to be dutchs dialog or if you just want to unlock everything right away.

this is interesting, first I've heard about it. once I realized I could pay for upgrades out of pocket I pretty much exclusively donated stolen bullshit and kept all my money to myself. what sort of dialogue does he have about this?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I have accidentally shot somebody once and it was real early game when I got in my first post-tutorial fistfight and couldn’t remember if punch was circle or R2. Technically I didn’t even shoot the guy, he caught my arm as I drew he punched the poo poo out of me causing me to drop my gun which went off.

But yeah, R2 doesn’t do anything except shoot people, I don’t know what this is with people accidentally mixing it up with talk

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

seriously is there a solution to the Gavin guy because my white hat cowboy is about to shoot him and dump in in a river somewhere

how the gently caress does he get across the map so fast, he's in every city i go to

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

If there is any DLC I really hope we get some older Colt Navy revolvers. That’s my one complaint now that I finally found my proper Justified Stetson hat

I wasn’t excited about Online after getting completely burned out by GTAO’s grind, but the more I tool around postgame the more I can’t wait to do this with fellow cowpokes

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

super macho dude posted:

Do I have to upgrade my satchel to fit the entire collection of cigarette cards or can I just buy them all from the St. Denis store all in one swoop, which amounts to about $700 I believe?

Wait, there’s a loving store that sells them?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mary Beth seems like a saint

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Is Herbert moon in this game

Yes. You can find him where you last saw him

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Micah being tolerated and embraced by Dutch makes sense when you realize Dutch isn’t the pragmatic criminal genius he makes himself out to be, and is actually just a dude who wants to run around in the woods and blow poo poo up with his buds while they fawn over his affectations of wisdom forever. Micah and Bill enable him, and the rest of the gang increasingly cramps his style because they actually believe in the promise of freedom and paradise and have two brain cells to run together.

It makes complete sense that Dutch tolerates these stupid shitheads, and the frustrating realization by both player and Arthur that he does is why they’re written the way they are.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it makes absolutely 0 sense for a number of reasons but it’s my personal head canon that Uncle is Red Harlow somehow

just because Red was kind of enough of a dork that I can buy him accomplishing his revenge quest and just loving off to spend the rest of his life telling questionably true tales about his past and lazing about

kind of neat that both RDR1 and 2 now acknowledge that Revolver happened in this universe at least to some degree

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In RDR1, Uncle wears a glove on only his right hand, like Red did.

Rockstar says that the games aren't in the same universe but I've also always thought that he was Red.

yeah I don’t know why they say that when characters in both games make direct references to Revolver including taking about Red Harlow by name

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

im a big dumb idiot so I wish there was a way to just pay the extra 20 bucks to upgrade to the ultimate edition. im not gonna pay 90 bucks to play a day early but I’d pay 20 for that plus whatever the online bonuses are

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

this is real rough without passive mode or a solo lobby. trying to stay one step ahead of the angry mob keeps me on my toes but makes basic poo poo like going to town to unload pelts a massive pain in the rear end. I rode halfway across the map to sell my poo poo only to find two dudes shooting up the place and camping the story mission there

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dogen posted:

I want the coat that Sadie wears in the epilogue, damnit

It’s in apparently

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Norns posted:

Don't fast travel with skins and carcases in online. They all go poof.

And yeah money seems easy you make and the prices seem fair. So I'm not sure wtf people are mad about there?

They seem to disappear anytime you’re separated from your horse by any kind of loading screen. I lost mine after being killed and respawning.

Money is and isn’t too bad. It’s fine for provisions and ammo and most clothes, the guns and weapon customization options are a bit absurd. You can’t even change the metal on your guns without paying gold, and something as small as rifling is like 85 bucks.

But getting money hasn’t been too bad so far, little concerned about what I’m going to do after running out of story missions, I’ve only done like 5 and it says I’m 50% done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I haven’t had too many griefer experiences since early game either. Lot of happening across cowpokes in the wilderness and us giving each other a friendly nod or finger guns then moving on.