Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

Have you considered that Red Dead is bad, actually, because the protagonist isn't racist and sexist enough??

Who the gently caress says "homage" that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Foehammer007 posted:

Haven't played online since it came out, has it changed much?

I managed to play for a quick 25 minutes without getting randomly attacked by the people I met!
There are new co-op missions, so that's nice?
Going to try my hand at poker later!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Really hope they actually implement gangs or whatnot in the future. Even just a group camp that's up when one of you is on and you can contribute to it.

E: Noticed that the game automatically puts you in offensive mode when you log in. This is even if you set it to defensive in a previous session.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Defensive mode is a good addition but it still feels like a half step. Ostensibly people who choose that option are doing it because they don’t want to be murdered by strangers, but if I’m reading the notes correctly, it stops just short of that; you can’t be lassoed, and you can’t be auto-aimed at, but strangers can still murder you if they want it enough. Why not just make you immune to open world pvp entirely (outside of events where that’s part of the game)?

Eh, it seems to be working so far. I've been in multiple towns, and there are a lot more players just hanging out. In the past, it's always just been constant gunfights.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

How do you press charges against someone? Some red dotted dick killed me and when I killed him back he pressed charges against me. I didn’t have that option any where - is it level locked? I’m only like a 10.

I got offed by someone in Saint Denis and it was an option on death, below parlay. They were full red, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

yea my only disappointment so far has been finding that poker is A) very low stakes, and B) can't have cheating and gunning down anyone who catches me. How can I even be a cowboy if I don't shoot a man in the back over a matter of 80 dollars

Use your ~imagination~ and shoot a random at the bar after the games over!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm pretty sure for sidearm you just have to get an offhand holster. I thought you could always carry two longarms, though? Just select them on/near your horse.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Upmarket Mango posted:

So did they patch that free clothing glitch? All my custom outfits are gone and also pretty much every piece of clothing I actually did buy are all gone too. Not gonna lie, I'm annoyed.

First time playing online in months

Custom outfits never save when I log out, but clothing I've purchased is still available in the wardrobe.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I can see them taking a cut of your gold if you make a new character so people don't just keep rerolling and stockpiling it off the tutorial.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Haven't tested it yet, but it sounds like the game not saving custom outfits might be due to a piece of clothing being from an outfit. Using a custom outfit with only purchased pieces should save it on logout.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Is Quick Join broken for anyone else? I tried using it last night in PS4 and it ended up loading for a half hour. I gave up and went about my evening, and just checked in on it every so often.

It was working for me last night.
I can't seem to get these new story missions to pop, though! Anyone know if they're tied to your honor level?
Most strangers won't give me missions, either.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Gotta say, my biggest annoyance has to be the disconnects. Just spent 45 minutes hunting, and got DCed. Now everything on my horse is gone.
You'd think they'd have stable server connections by now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

hup posted:

I’m hoping this means additional character slots, but I shouldn’t get my hopes up

Yours for a small sum of 15 gold pieces!!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sheepskin jacket seems to keep my character warm up north. Low level requirement and only something like $75.
They definitely made changes to clothing warmth, though. At launch you couldn't go north without high level warm clothing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Between the random crashes and disconnects, I don't even bother hunting anything larger than small animals and birds. In the event I find a three star buck, I just drop the pelt on the ground after skinning.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

How do you folks get so unlucky? Game has barely ever crashed for me

I used to not have as many problems. The most recent patch has left me with many more DC and crash issues.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like the glitch is usable with any carcass. People have reported having exotic birds on the side and a panther on the back and being able to dupe all of them. Cougars just have a high sell value.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

No kidding - if I have low honor different story missions pop online? I’m going to give that a shot, pay the honor guy to lower mine.

Nah, just roll into town and start mowing down NPCs. Take open worlds missions that lower your honor. Stab a bunch of chickens, goats, pigs, and cows on farms.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Kill and skin a lot of animals. Clean and feed your horse. Pretty sure you get honor for choosing the "good" option in missions, so replay those and always choose that option. Do open world missions (if the npcs will actually give any that is lol) that gain you honor.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friends and I had some crazy bugs last night. No random encounters. No NPCs spawning (outside of vendors). When bandit camps actually spawned, they were untargetable and unkillable. They also ignored us.
Got some nostalgic SWG vibes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've been playing for a couple hours without a DC or or CTD so far. Stranger missions seem to be actually working, too. Have seen a number of wagons without any people on them, though. Those horses sure are dedicated to their work.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How did I not know that bow kills give you health xp? All this time wasted fishing!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe if I arrow fish it'll be a twofer??

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just threw caution to the wind with the card selection. Varmint rifle headshot is still where it's at.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
So they can add bandoliers later at a stupid price!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Time to mock my friend who rerolled to get a better looking character. The joke's on me. He went back to Destiny.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Toebone posted:

wait what

I would also like to know more.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think there's a KKK random encounter where if you let them go on with their little get together, one of them lights themselves on fire when trying to ignite the cross. That or it was me throwing a fire bottle. Can't quite remember.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Frog Act posted:

Word, for larger game, does ammo type play a factor? like I shot a bear twice to kill it with the Springfield using express ammo and it didn’t diminish the pelt quality, so I’m assuming the bigger bullets are fine, but it was a headshot I think

I’ve never liked hunting, or hunting games, or anything about hunting, but I kind of like it in RDR. Any general tips for hunting legendary game?

Once they're unlocked, legendary animals aren't that difficult. Just unload into them because the pelt quality isn't a factor.

I find a Springfield is good for most larger game. A single headshot does it for deer, elk, sheep, etc.
Coyotes and other animals of that size always annoyed me until I realized a repeater was the way to go and not the varmint rifle.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 12, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well here's a new one for online: walked out of the general store in strawberry, and suddenly got the "witness investigating" warning.
By the time I figured out what was going on, I was wanted for animal cruelty.
Someone had killed a domestic cat and put it on my horse.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I gotta say I'm kind of down with adding framing people for crimes as a feature, not a bug, that's just funny

Gotta say, after escaping the law, all I could do was laugh and give whomever did it props.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Churchill posted:

So I haven't played online since about a month after the release, got kind of burned out on the grinding and the lack of content. Is it better now? Also what else has changed, and is it too late to get back in or does everyone have like flying horses with machine guns now? Mainly I like to do missions and poo poo with my friends without bothering to much with the PvP stuff.

The new defensive mode makes people ganking you less likely, but it's still A Thing. For some reason the game defaults to offensive mode. Change it under game options (left on the d-pad).
Random encounters are much more common now, and make the game world fill a bit more alive. I had to rescue someone who was about to be buried alive in the Saint Denis graveyard. It was the middle of the night and storming. Was actually pretty cool.
They've added a few more story missions, and you can queue to join random players' missions as well.
Stranger missions are more reliable than they were. A lot less of you showing up to someone listed as having a mission available only for nothing to happen.

I've mostly had fun tooling around with my friends running stranger missions or hunting, with the occasional killing rampage in Valentine.

E: Oh you can play poker against other players now too!

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 17, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Honor is a useless thing in online. I still have no idea what it's for outside of the story missions you mentioned. Really wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fojar38 posted:

I thought that the lights were tied to that rumored Alien-based DLC

There's a flying saucer you can see at night up in the mountains in some busted out hut. Only alien/UFO thing that comes to mind.

Reign Of Pain posted:

Some lying old hag in Big Valley asked me for help and then pulled out the jammy so I shot her in the face

No no no! It's pull out the jammy, aim it in the sky.
You punch the piano player in the face.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
When you first load the game, you need to click "lead [posse]" as your game type. Took me too long to figure that out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just one of each legendary animal type. If memory serves, when you sell it to the trapper, you get enough uses out of the legendary Pelt to make every piece of the outfit.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's probably because you're not locked into one job, so each one having unique unlocks useful to everyone makes sense.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Was out doing stranger missions and gang hideouts with a friend last night. We both got the "kill six enemies with a revolver without reloading" achievement at the same time.
I mean, if you think about it, it's not that hard with a lemat and dual wielding, but it still felt pretty :clint:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend and I were just hunting in defensive mode. This guy was determined to attack us, so we obliged. Never had so much fun with incendiary slugs and dynamite arrows.
Sometimes I'm reminded why people grief. I just don't understand why they have to do it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
To whomever was wishing they would add gear letting us mimic the Three Amigos, I'd go check the tailor's new pant, jacket, and hat selection.