Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dumb question, but what price shows up on the launcher for each region? At the moment I'm in Japan and it's showing me 8618 JPY for the special edition which seems really high (it's essentially $80 USD), and since I'm not leaving here until after the pre-order bonuses finish I'm wondering whether to just take the plunge or not.

Incredibly, I can't seem to actually find the loving prices listed anywhere, every website only says it's available for preorder via the launcher (or just shows me the cost for a PS4/XB1 disc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Right, so japan just gets screwed on price I guess. Will bust out the VPN and buy it in Australia assuming it matches the US price. Thanks friends!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like it's coming soon, the Launcher just got updated and there's new stuff in the source code about preloads and decryptions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...er_update_with/

As a side-note, I watched a couple of before-you-play type YouTube videos yesterday to get myself (additionally) hyped for next week. Shouldn't have scrolled down to the loving comments

I managed to stay spoiler free for 12 loving months until the literal week before I can play. What a dumbass.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Jandipoo posted:

Fair warning, this trailer includes some pretty hefty story spoilers for some reason.

Yeah I was pretty wtf when it started showing tropical island stuff. So after 12 months spoiler free Iíve had two major things spoiled in like 3 days

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah it's kind of insane. I'm hoping/praying for a local timezone release since I'm in eastern Australia - only 4.5 hours to go!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Apparently it's not live in New Zealand yet :-/
(currently 12:20am on November 5)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

1am here in Australia and still nothing. I tried verifying the game cache a couple of times and after the checks it said "ready to play" which got me rather excited, but just a false alarm. Fingers crossed for the morning!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Iím mildly annoyed that the release isnít until 8am ET (which makes it midnight on the 6th here), but why the gently caress couldnít they tell us this days ago. It was 7am on the 5th when that tweet appeared 🙄

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Supposedly animal pelts get insta-skinned if you park your horse on top of the carcass, but I haven't tested it personally since the world apparently revolves around NYC time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

According to a post upthread:

Rockstar confirmed this via twitter as well:
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/s...429461943697408

toggle posted:

That's such poo poo. I have the 5th off
This is what happens when you live in the future

Yeah it's kinda bullshit. I could live with a 24 hour delay since I've already waited a goddamn year. I'm just shitted off that they waited until loving today to mention it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TorakFade posted:

drat you Nvidia, I had everything ready for gaming after work, now I have to go home during lunchbreak to install this new driver

Nvidia recommends a 2070S for 1440p@60+FPS high settings (and a 2080Ti for 4K medium-high, lol), I know that nobody can know but humor me with your best guesses: would I be able to max it out with my EVGA 1080 FTW which should be slightly worse than a 2070S but not by much, I think? I'm not super insistent on maxing every single slider but if I can, I'm going for the highest possible preset and maybe toning down a couple high-cost settings like clouds or shadows

I'm still rocking a 970, pray 4 me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

My friend said the game's over 100gb, can anyone confirm?

Yeah itís 109gb, no word yet on whether thereíll be a day 0 patch, or even what itíll need to unlock. Given that Rockstar didnít even bother giving a release time until 9 hours after some folks shouldíve been playing, Iím not super hopeful

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Itís about a 20 minute decrypt for me, currently at 80/109 and itís been going for 13 minutes. Although people on reddit are saying thereís a 3gb patch to download as well, rip in peace my bandwidth for the month

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Nobody knows how well optimised it is either, so it could be GTAV level quality, or it could be GTA IV level quality

And yes - thereís an extra 3gb to download once decrypting finishes. Another 20 minutes to wait!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Iím in, howdy pardners

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Iím in, howdy pardners

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Anyone else having issues with the game freezing? Iíll be playing fine for a few minutes and then everything will freeze up for a few seconds. The sound keeps going but the visuals freeze, then eventually it recovers and keeps going. Until the next time it freezes.

What Iíve played so far has been great otherwise, just wish I could stop it freezing!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Itís happening worse in cut scenes which doesnít make any sense, the first couple of shoot-outs have been fine

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Question for anyone who was getting the stuttering/freezing issue: is it still happening? Iím about 5-6 missions into chapter 2 and itís gradually gotten better to the point where itís hardly happening at all now, maybe one or twice an hour. First time through Valentine was the roughest, that took about 30 minutes for 5 minutes of gameplay, but now it seems okay?

Iíve tried a few of the posted solutions like turning off CPU cores and the like, and none actually helped.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wheezle posted:

I can't even get past the launcher.

Make sure you try the usual steps: turn off antivirus, run as admin etc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I dunno what the hell happened to my install but after starting at almost unplayable from freezing, I managed to get through a five hour session tonight without a single freeze without even doing any thing differently. Go figure!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Joe Gillian posted:

edit: I'm in love with the game, but let me keep my hat goddamnit lol

Just in case you haven't noticed it, the game keeps infinite copies of your hat in your saddle. Stand next to your horse then bring up the item wheel and tab across to Horse. Arthur's hat is in the bottom right.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dogen posted:

I feel like I remember on console it was a dpad button... but maybe I'm wrong, maybe you had to use the weapon wheel always. But yeah, if you're at a stop or p slow you can brush the horse whilst mounted.

Iím using an Xbox controller and pat while riding is done by pushing the left stick in (L3?)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Do you have an i5 CPU? Pretty much all i5s break the game, most recent patch didn't address that.

Iím not that guy, but Iíve been playing fine on an i5. I was getting the stuttering pretty constantly in the prologue, but it diminished when I got to the open world proper. The first few times in Valentine were awful, but now Iím mostly done with chapter 2 and I get stutters maybe once an hour if that.

None of the core disabling or process lasso tricks worked for me - maybe itís because Iím only on a GTX970 and using low settings? 1080p 30fps and the quality sliders are about 3-4/10.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Warad posted:

I've been lucky so far with no major crashes or stuttering and been having a blast but oof is getting ambushed or held up in the open by bandits a pain. Even keeping the health core topped up it feels like you can go down really easily when you have no cover to run to and when a good chunk of the starting region is full of open plains...again just oof.

Leveling up this HP bar can't go fast enough.

Iíve found the best strategy for dealing with ambushes is to just ride away as quick as you can for 5-10 seconds. Use that time to draw your weapons etc and heal up before turning around and blasting them.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Whorelord posted:

Is there a list from back when this game first came out of "stuff the game didn't tell you or told you once while you were looking at other stuff that would be useful to know"

If you can handle YouTube thereís some decent videos in that vein, but 100% avoid reading the comments since theyíll be full of spoilers. Thatís how I got spoiled on a major plot twist

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I had this problem, reinstalling the launcher and making sure it as well as the RDR2.exe were set to admin mode let me play.

So should I just not bother with Process Lasso as well?

Also this game sure doesn't like the Geforce Experience overlay thing, holy poo poo. I just want to take a picture of my online character

Can you not use the Windows game overlay? Hit win+G to bring it up, thereís a hotkey for screenshots too though I canít remember it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I dunno what monkey paw wishes Iíve used up this week, but after the first prologue section Iíve had basically no issues on my i5-6500 + GTX970 combo. The prologue was tough, and the first couple trips into Valentine were a slideshow, but now Iím well into chapter 3 and only getting freezes every 30 minutes or so.

Side-note: for my first play through Iím going full white hat but itís really loving difficult. Feels like every time I go into a town someone dives in front of my horse and gets trampled, leading to a shootout and unwanted bounty

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I had the same issue, but not when changing texture size. Only when changing screen resolution in the middle of a game.

Yeah I got this same issue after doing the same thing (changing resolution and continuing to play), so I guess that's what caused it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Frankston posted:

Ok but I won't like pass out and lose a bunch of items or something like that if I haven't slept for a while?

Nope. You can also camp in the wilderness by opening the weapons wheel and switching to items. Straight down is the campfire option where you can craft, cook, and sleep.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Just be aware as well that cinematic camera autorun wonít stop you from getting ambushed by bandits and bounty hunters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I've seen a few "RDR2 stealth kills" videos online.

How viable is this game as as stealth game overall?

Kinda the same as the GTA games, where itís a semi-viable option in some missions but itís basically always going to end in a shootout. So not really.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TorakFade posted:

What's the best way to quickly make a few bucks?

If youíve unlocked the Fence, thereís a really easy way to make $500.

From your camp in Horseshoe Overlook, go to the burned out village just to the west near the river. Inside the sheriffís building, thereís a lockbox with a gold bar worth $500 when you sell it to the fence. (not a plot spoiler)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm guessing in chapter 2 I'm gonna have to head into the areas where I'm wanted dead or alive to progress the story but how likely am I to get ganked on the way there?

Thereís an early mission that starts just near Blackwater, though not inside the dead or alive wanted zone. Make sure you stick to the coast and stay off the main roads to get there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

Still need to get a fishing rod - I assume I have to go do that death country mission before I can take Lil' Fredo out to meet the fishies?

Yeah, you don't get the fishing rod until surprisingly late in chapter 2.

Note that for the death country mission (I assume you're referring to the one that starts near Blackwater), you don't have to go into the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" area. Just follow the river rather than the roads and you should be fine, though I got ambushed and killed my first time heading there

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

sorry if this has been answered nine times here, but:

I am having a "CPU pegs to 100% and freezes game for 1-3 seconds every 1-3 minutes" issue. I messed with Process Lasso based on some reddit thread, which did not make a difference.

Any help? I have a core-i5 6500 @ 3.2ghz, so not the newest processor in the world but certainly above spec, also have a GTX1080 and the game looks and runs fine, when it's not glitching.

I have the same processor and a GTX970 and weirdly enough I fixed the issue by just playing the game. My settings are 1080p 30fps and essentially the Balanced preset; it was a bit rough to start with but once I got through the snow prologue area it improved hugely, to the point where Iím 30 hours in, almost finished Chapter IV and get the freezing maybe once an hour. Not the ideal experience, but maybe try that?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I feel so bad for you internet poors, my gigabit fiber connection sucks down these 100gig patches like candy.

But for real, even waiting like 10 minutes for 100gigs kinda sucks. Gigabit no longer makes me feel like it used to, someone get me a bigger pipe to satisfy my needs.

Wait, is the new patch seriously that big?! Iíve been out of town for a few days and havenít downloaded it yet. My Australian internet is already quaking in fear..

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

I have to find the pics I took of the Valentine butcher - his whole head was covered in blood, looked like me after the Gwar concert last month. (Also, I hadn't done poo poo to him, he just... showed up that way.)

That loving Valentine butcher .. I bumped someone with my horse on the way through town which started a fistfight, and before I knew it the butcher jumped on me from behind to pin my arms while the guy wailed on me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Is there a known fix for the neon flashing artifacts yet? I know people were having issues with it on release, but its started happening to me since the stuttering fix patches. It's hard to describe, but roughly: any particle effects with lighting attached like hoof strikes, ricochets, explosions, rain striking roofs etc, the lighting effects render in neon blue and red like emergency lights. I know I've seen people complain about similar issues, but nobody seems to have a proper fix. Any ideas? I'm using a GTX-970 on mostly Balanced settings and DX12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

Try lowering or raising anything it do with particles and try Vulcan instead

Weirdly enough switching to Vulkan drops my available GFX memory from 3.3gb to 2.8gb, no idea whatís up with that.

Have tried a bunch of fixes this morning and nothing seems to have fixed it so I guess Iíll just deal for now. Hopefully no big explosive firefights at night!