Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.rockstargames.com/redde...atures/wildlife

I absolutely love good snow effects.

New hat! With rat! And bullet hole! Also nice to see the Volcanic pistol is back and you can mix and match your pistols. Now show me the drat LeMat and the Sharps rifle already

I really hope Rat Hat isn't a special hat and is indeed what you get when you turn a rat corpse into a hat. It gives me hope that all 200ish animals can then be fashioned into clothing. Trout hat. Gila Monster hat. Turkey vulture hat. Even if it's just feathers/scales/accoutrements I will wear every drat animal in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

It's been stated they used a thousand extras for NPC's dialogue, all the gameplay videos show the interaction UI but nothing menu driven, but from what I've read it's very hands on much like LA Noire when examining evidence, fast travels done from your main camp or personal camp much like RDR.

There's also a sort of "slow fast travel" they described that has me very excited: set a waypoint, and you can turn on the cinematic camera and just hold a button and your horse will path along the roads and trails to your destination as you watch the scenery all movie-esque.

It's something I wish GTA5 had, outside of the taxi system.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Flooger posted:

I have gta5 but never played online. Is this something I could do never having played before?

Yes, just go through the online tutorials and make sure you select Invite Only lobby so you aren't harassed by psychopaths, then just drive around until you receive two emails on your phone with instructions for a treasure (the revolver) and from someone detailing a bounty hunting mission (which leads to the hatchet upon completion of several). It should only take an hour or two to get both weapons

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

UnknownMercenary posted:

So if I do it on PC would I be able to get these items for my PS4 copy of RDR2?

Also yes. It's linked to your Social Club account.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Tumble posted:

Has there been any information about the possibility of ballistic system in this game? It'd be cool if I can shoot through fences and wagon walls and stuff, but I don't know if Rockstar has ever implemented one.

Also, I hope I can kneecap fools in this game, I feel like GTA V toned down the Euphoria physics system a lot compared to RDR and GTA 4.

Some of these previews describe destructable cover objects like barrels and wagons and such. I don't think you'll be able to dynamite through a house but I expect a lot of splintered wooden crates and barrels after a good gunfight.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

https://www.rockstargames.com/redde...atures/weaponry

Weapons update. The more I read about this game the less I can believe it's even real, but everything so far has been verified by previews and official media. I guess this is what you get when you have unlimited money and effectively unlimited time to make a game. Next two weeks are going to be slow waiting.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Also how customization will work? Like in the first game were you buy entire sets? Ir more like in GTA ?

There are "sets" but it sounds like every piece of the outfit is custom. Shirt, pants, coat, boots, etc. I even read that you can decide whether or not sleeves are rolled up or pants are tucked into boots

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I doubt RDR2 Online will be quite the scope of GTAO. I don't forsee you setting up turn of the century chem labs churning out bootleg laudanum over time, but I could (and probably will) be proven wrong.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Sedisp posted:

Im looking forward to the online. Not because I want to play it because I want to see how much naked greed they can squeeze into a western.

Hot air balloons with miniguns and bombs? The spider thing from wild wild west?

Honestly as someone who enjoys the ridiculous crap in GTAO like flying legally distinct DeLoreans and a rocket powered not-quite Batmobile, going all in on steam powered spider mechs is fine by me. They need to either keep it simple and realistic, or balls out insane. Middle grounding it will just feel lame.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Tercio posted:

The Red Dead subreddit has been a mildly decent place for information, but after last night it's become an absolute cesspool.

I'm know I'm stating the wildly obvious here.

What, you don't love all the amateur conspiracy theorists going all Zapruder Film over the 20 second gameplay leak crying about how the bow clips through Artie's hat?

Or are you not a fan of all the meme posts about how everyone's worried about dying before Friday?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Calaveron posted:

Why are the subreddits freaking out?

Longbow clips through hat sometimes because video games aren't real.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Bardeh posted:

https://streamable.com/8i164

https://streamable.com/i2xti

I dunno if it's just the recording, or maybe it's running on a base console, but it does look quite framey

E: the person who posted them said it's running on a base PS4

Lmao the "interaction" in the bathtub. This game.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...stuff_for_yous/

holy poo poo that shaving depth and layered clothing customization.

I can't believe that's only a 4/10 level beard. A 10/10 beard is going to be ridiculous.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Bardeh posted:

But sometimes your horse gets injured and can't stand up and the only way to help it is to put it out of its misery There's even a dedicated animation for doing it.

I know the leaked clip you're referring to and goddamn that was one of the most uncomfortable things I've seen in a video game.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

UrbicaMortis posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...ly_deleted_the/

Click to see the frankly unnecessary amount of knife customisation available.

The shopkeeper is very sad when he isn't allowed to talk about how cool every gun is.

OH! Moving on then...

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Seems like a culmination of RDR1 with GTA and the interaction style of L.A Noire.

There's a little Bully in there too with the npc interactions. This game seems to be the logical culmination of all the experimental styles they've introduced since GTA3.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wish Arthur could GUNDIVE

He can. I saw it in a leaked gameplay clip. No lie. There's no slowmo or anything (maybe you can couple it with dead eye?) but you can belly flop and shoot to your heart's content.

efb

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Communist Bear posted:

The kotaku video is great!

When did kotaku become...good?

It's just this review. And the investigative report into Rockstar the other day. These are the only good things on Kotaku. But seriously that review is probably the best gaming review I've ever read, and it goes into the human cost of creating a game like this, which is a conversation people do need to start having if you consider games an art form.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

bloodysabbath posted:

I like it when the person who gets the game for free tells me if and why it is worth the better part of a $100 bill instead of jerking himself off using the English language as lubricant, but that’s me, I work for a living.

I mean I don't begrudge you wanting an "is this worth what could be an entire day's pay depending on my job" review. Nothing wrong with that. That's fine. I just like the more academic ones that I've been seeing become the norm these days. Hell, some sites don't even give numbers anymore.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is Kotaku's Tim Rogers the same Tim Rogers who wrote that incredibly long essay years ago about Metal Gear Solid 2 being the first post-modern videogame?

Yes. He hasn't changed in years. His Dragon Quest 11 review was literally 20 pages long.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Nolgthorn posted:

After installing the game be warned I've been playing this a lot and I'm pretty sure I'm still in the tutorial.

Reviewers are saying they're still learning new poo poo 30 hours in, so beware, this whole game might be tutorial.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

TMMadman posted:

I just found a house that had a meteor hit it.

edit - Also, after inspecting the house, it added it to the main map. It's a loving picture of a house with a meteor above it and meteor house next to it now.

edit 2- - laffo, there is also a little skull drawn inside of the drawn house.

Arthur is a secret artist who loves to doodle all over everything he owns. If you haven't checked out his journal yet you should. Left on the d pad I think?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

If I chose not to punch the loudmouth trapper in the Valentine saloon and steal his hat, will he show up again? I'm regretting my life choices.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, I got one weird question, I picked up a pack of premium cigarettes and got some cards with it. I've found other packs, but I can never pick them up. It says I don't have room. Where are the premium cigarettes stored? Cause I've sold most of my items and think I have space everywhere.

Same slot in the items tab as all your canned corn and peaches. Left on the wheel. Chain smoke the premiums so you can always get cards when you find a pack.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

shut up blegum posted:

You know how the game tells you the time and date when you enter a town? Apparently it only does that if you have a pocket watch on you

You can also pull out your watch and look at it in your big meaty hand from the same item slot as the binoculars, for the full immersive "waiting for a train" experience.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

crazysim posted:

I came across some spanish speaking guy who was being attacked by wolves. Apparently, you're supposed to give him whiskey instead of a health cure. He dies if you give him health cure? What?

Health cure is medicine. It's not going to help wolf bites unless you're a video game protagonist. Whiskey doesn't help either (he still dies) but it lets him relax a little

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don’t totally understand uncle’s role in this story, but I love him

Uncle is a useless but lovable hobo who has no particularly notable skills and is allergic to work, but Dutch keeps him around because he finds him funny.

I'm assuming he was some sort of force of nature in his heyday though, because that always seems to be the case.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm guessing it's too late to unlock collector for free if you find all the cards in GTA? Would be awesome if not, but that's why I ask. I dunno.

You can still do it. I just did it yesterday so there wasn't a "before the update" requirement or anything

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Nash posted:

Is it odd that this drops tomorrow and we don’t have any patch notes?

Rockstar patch notes come out after the update, often days later. You won't find out what even the new content and role exactly is until it's live.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

If you play a lot of poker you really get to see the range of characters in the game. There seem to be three or four classes of online character: Fancy Lad/y (all slacks/dresses and tailcoats and top hats), Murder Boy (Black on black on black with red highlights and an eyepatch or scar), Cowpoke (Your mid tier cowboy gear, pants with holes, patches, old man moustaches), and Mountain Hobo (animal skin chic, outfit contains several faces, only one human).

It's really quite fun. Personally my guy is like, a 75 year old Cowpoke with that one droopy sad moustache.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn those moonshine story missions are awful. Going to stick with the regular ones.

Really? I thought the boat one was fun and the finale was story mode quality spectacle. I've replayed that finale a half dozen times.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Oh really? I figured when they advertised the legendary gators being added they meant to the mission pool?

So you've just got to wander around the swamp for ages until you luck out?

Yeah. Harriet only has specific variants of animals, and currently no gator. The rest are free roam on your map, with spawn criteria that you have to stumble across/google for. The two gators are free roam, and their criteria is in the announcement newspost.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I once had the wooden thwonk sound play constantly, over and over and over again while I was wandering around the swamp. It was starting to trigger an anxiety attack, before it stopped. I thought I was going to stumble across Jumanji or something.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Another Bill posted:

You hear people say 'the patch broke the game on ps4' but you don't believe it until you crash 3 times in a row within 5 mins of starting.

Normally I take the patch complaining with a grain of salt, but yeah this is the worst I have ever seen it run on PS4 since launch. Normally you get disconnection errors but I was getting full on blue screen app crashes which never happens.

And it's a double kick in the pants because this is on the heels of the game running the best I had ever seen it run.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Trader and Bounty Hunter have a weekly boost this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ygolonac posted:

In single-player, I found a Reddit post showing where a good spawnpoint was - drop some predator bait, lurk quietly, murder. But that was mainly to get the kittybits needed for crafting... only really went back for the Legendary spotty rear end in a top hat cat.

I know you said single player, but does bait ever work in online? Even after they fixed animals I have never gotten it to work.