Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You'll be able to preload it a couple of days in advance anyway. I think my PS4 says the 24th, so you can just leave it in rest mode for a day or two
With my internet, I don't think 4 days of preloading is even enough... Guess I'll get a physical copy (and finish some more games in the meantime so I can delete them to make room) :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

drunkill posted:

Starting to get excited for this now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcMMKB217qo

"There are 192 different dynamic scores"

"THIS IS NOT SCRIPTED"

"AGAIN, NOT SCRIPTED"

"every NPC has its own recollection of past events"

Buying this game Day 1, but this sure sounds like marketing speak

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Nolgthorn posted:

I've been watching a lot of videos about what is known and nobody really knows anything about RDR Online. It'll probably be released separately from the base game, not free dlc for example. And it'll probably be pretty awesome, iterating on the wildly popular GTA Online of Christmas past.

Nobody knows squat. It's a better kept secret than the base game.
Yeah, it's not like Rockstar has said anything (this link was a page or two before your post, inside a Twitter link)

quote:

Access to Red Dead Online is free to anyone with a copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
RDR2 digital: $99 AUD ($70 USD)
Physical: $69 AUD ($48 USD) (discounted price, EB is still selling it for $99 lol)

Yes, this makes perfect sense as we all know it's more expensive to upload files to a server than to press a disc and print a booklet/map/sleeve cover, ship to a store, and employ people at the store to sell the game.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Day Man posted:

It always bothered me when I killed someone on a hiking trail away from everyone in gta5 and cops would magically spawn on the trails in cop cars.
Let's hope they don't set animals as witnesses in this one then.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Currently waiting next to a crashed wagon because the NPC asked me to while he went to get help... Let's see if someone actually shows up with a reward or whether my reward is the lock box on ground. Guessing he doesn't come back.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I was riding to Strawberry and some dude came charging down the road with a woman hogtied on his horse. I turn around, deadeye, and shoot him in the dome. He falls off but his horse is spooked and kept running, so I chase it down. I free the woman, who has obviously been beaten, and she thanks me profusely and tells me he was planning to rape and kill her.

Just amazing that all of that happened from a radiant event that basically would have been a side quest in any other open world game. And the thing that I appreciate about all the systems is that I had to be fully involved in pretty much every part of it (in that not much of it was “automated”, and required decisions and actions by me).

Wouldn't call that "radiant" my man, just a scripted event that will randomly trigger. It's not like random NPCs are randomly finding another NPC to hogtie to go "rape and kill" unless you stop them. This aint Westworld just yet. I had that same event happen near Rhodes, I just let them go because I was hunting varmints.
I've also gotten most of the other ones that reviews raved as being "totally not scripted".

My favourite actual unscripted event so far was getting chased by a bear on horseback, and riding past a dude on the road. Bear mauled the poo poo out of him while I stayed back with a rifle shooting the hell out of it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

mp5 posted:

So I get on my horse to try and get away to go pay it off, whatever, it's 10 bucks. I run into some angry lawmen who start shooting at me, and after they're dead it's now 80 bucks. In the course of trying to get to a post office I run into a posse who gun me down instantly. Minus 50 bucks there.

When I respawn in town I've still got that bounty on me so I get on my horse and head over to the post office. On the way I knock into a pedestrian, eat an unarmed assault charge, and I stop to try and see if I can calm things down so it doesnt get worse. I can't, and he stabs me to death. -60 more dollars.

What am I doing wrong here? This is getting infuriating
Bounty hunters will appear on the map before they see you, you can avoid them easily (I've spent hours with a bounty just wandering around hunting, just ride away before they get too close).
You also don't need to kill everyone that shoots at you, if you ride away your bounty doesn't increase.

If you're running over people in town, try slowing down?

There's plenty of jank with bounties though, like the time I stood still on my horse listening to some guy ranting on a soapbox and apparently ran over an animal or something, got "disturbing the peace". But I just left instead of shooting all the lawmen, had a $10 bounty in the state for 3 hours and only paid it off when I had to go there for multiple quests.

Or the time I jumped on a moving train to rob it, only there was not a single person on it. So I jumped out just before it arrived in town, and got still got a Train Robbery bounty. Who the hell even saw me??

AndrewP posted:

Okay what’s this HUGE rear end black stallion doing in my camp and how come I can’t even study him, much less mount him? He dwarfs every other horse
Do Hosea's quest, and you'll unlock some more stuff.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

veni veni veni posted:

I saved that guy but haven't ran into him again yet.

The one that cracked me up was some guy trying to get a thorn or something out of his horse's hoof. I hopped off my horse and said "hey partner can I help you out" which caught him by surprise and caused him to scream and startle his horse which kicked him in the head and killed him. Still have no idea if that was supposed to happen or if hosed something up.

Yeah that literally happens to everyone, not sure if you can even prevent his death. That's the one that every reviewer/youtuber acted like "THIS IS NOT A SCRIPTED EVENT"

I would imagine if you ignore the events, you'll get them again later, but if you complete them, they're gone. I've already seen the same "totally not scripted" event twice but only because I didn't engage the first time.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, who cares though? It's pretty entertaining and I'd have never known if I hadn't gone poking around the internet. Seems weird to be mad at the game for it.
Believe me, I'm not at all mad at the game. It's exactly what I expected, and only a fool would actually think the game (or any game at this point in time) is capable of dynamically generating events as if every NPC was fully independent of the player. It's that reviewers were just regurgitating PR talk about the game.

I'm enjoying this game a lot other than standard story cliches. Bugs and all.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
:lol: so near the end of Chapter 3, where you get captured and beaten up, take "a few weeks" to recover, Mrs Grimshaw complains that I haven't put any money into the box recently.

I check the ledger. One person put in $1 worth of value since my last donation of $500

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

DrNutt posted:

How long does it take for hair to grow back? My beard is getting nice but my drat hair has pretty much stayed at length 1 since cutting it (a mistaaaaake).

On mobile so don't have the image from the guide handy, but it says hair will not grow until you rest or do something else that causes the screen to fade (eg story missions, maybe fast travel?). Then the timer restarts for the next level of growth.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Just FYI for anyone spending hours trekking out to get the rare white horse - if you don't care about colour, it's the exact same as other Arabians that you can buy from a stable. If you can't afford one, get to chapter 3 or 4 (and stop wasting your time selling rabbit pelts and belt buckles for $1) and you'll have plenty enough.

I got all the way out there to find out it's the same as the horse I was already riding :sigh: and there was "too much activity" so I couldn't even hunt whatever legendary was around.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Is there a list anywhere of what the Trapper needs for all the various outfits? Because I can't be hosed taking random perfect animals all the way across the map only to find out there are no outfits requiring a Perfect Turtle carcass or whatever. Even though I've killed a legendary, I have not seen the Trapper in the wild at all (no popup, nothing on the map).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The trapper himself tells you what he sells so if you go find him in Saint Denis and then take notes of what you want, that might be best. The option shows you what everything looks like too.
Oh I know, I just figured someone else (eg one of those sites rushing to get clicks from people like me googling) would have done it. I've seen a lot of sites are just copying each others info, inaccuracies and all.
Time to write up a spreadsheet!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I finally did it. After thinking people were idiots for accidentally assaulting innocents, I strangled an old lady instead of climbing on my horse.

It's clear they designed Saint Denis to be crowded and irritating in line with the anti-progress message that a lot of cowboy media has - the cities are expanding and the old way of life is gone.

I wonder if the city will just be murder central in RDRO compared to elsewhere where it's easier to see people coming and going as well as get away easier.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have some postgame questions, if anyone answer them. There are big spoilers so I'll use spoiler tags.

Can you still craft the satchel upgrades somewhere as Marston? My first thought was to try Pearson but it seems he's just a normal shopkeeper postgame.

Check out the fence. He sells what you need, don't even need materials. Just cash.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I hope in RDR Online , when you want to buy a house (postgame spoilers:) they make you take a loan out on it and if you don't pay it regularly (IRL time) they foreclose it. Also, you have to build it by hand and you can get killed while hammering nails on the roof and Uncle is there just complaining at you the whole time

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

JBP posted:

Same feelings here I loved the game. In the post game I ran into the two idiots from Valentine that wanted you to shoot bottles off the heads and hit them. Marston was like um ok fellas and pushed them off a waterfall in barrels. I think they've recorded lines for Marston to do every side quest which is nuts... My Arthur was a lunatic until chapter 5 and I went from seeing the wolf all game to dying looking at a sunrise, a deer was in my dreams. I think that was as good as Arthur was ever going to get and I was very weepy.
The weird part is that they immediately identified John (and not like... "Stranger") despite the first two quests being started with Arthur.

As for the end of chapter 6 cutscenes... I was showing my girlfriend when Arthur is dying and said "he better not look at a sunset" and then they loving did it. Set my tears off despite the cliche. Plus, I was max honour so it was all the stuff with people saying what a good man he was etc.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

JosefStalinator posted:

-If I find a perfect skin and bring it to a butcher, rather than a trapper, does that not count for crafting stuff at the trapper?

No. Don't sell perfect pelts to the butcher because you get nothing good for it (Money can be easily made elsewhere). Some are useful donating to camp (satchel upgrades if you want - I beat the game with only one crafted because of the effort required), otherwise take to the trapper if you can.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Slim Killington posted:

Man mine went entirely different from both of these. In my game he was one of the late-chapter debt missions, not a home invasion. I found him fishing and told him his debt was owed, and he walked me up to his house and made his poor son pour us some whiskeys and the son was like "another one?" and he snapped on him. When I walked over to get the money off him from under the cupboard he pulled a knife and loving slashed me, so I choked the gently caress out of him. His son ran to the bedroom and gave me $50 he had been hiding from his dad to settle the debt. It was a major bummer all around.

I saw the knife in the cupboard and refused to take the money. If you turn around and walk off you get instakilled. So I just put one in his head the second I saw him, lost honour?? But he was gonna kill me. And he was abusive. Karma how???

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
I upgraded the camp fully in my first playthrough and did not use the fast travel even once. So much time wasted :sigh: I think I took a train twice, stagecoach maybe twice. All other travel was by horse.

Now I realise that you can load up a horse with pelts, buy a train ticket to Saint Denis, and your horse appears with you, still holding all the loot.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Whenever your camp moves, do you retain all the upgrades you bought for it?
Yes. Even the $300 "3 sticks tied together" horse station.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Friendly Fire posted:

You can do most of this in chapter 2.

To be fair, some people started out free roaming as soon as Chapter 2 started, meaning you don't even have access to stables or a brush for your horse. Let alone bounties, fences to sell stolen things, or even a fishing rod.
Just lol if you are grinding out selling pelts to upgrade your camp and buy weapons instead of doing a handful of story missions and getting enough money for most of the game, and handed most things for free.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

JBP posted:

This game is so buggy and seems to get worse the longer you play. Was amazed at everything for four chapters, then the weapon deletions, weapons out in animations for the entire scene, bit floating around. A real piece of poo poo.
I've had: (keeping exact mission details vague to avoid spoilers)
  • Dudes opening a door in a scripted combat sequence being invisible... Just a gun floating in the air but you could still shoot them
  • Got stuck trying to climb onto a wagon during a mission while the law was alerted, causing me to run on the spot for 5 minutes while police on horses rode around us. The only way I got out of it was that one of the horses ran me over and broke me out of the loop. Meanwhile, my buddy in the mission was like "I don't see any law just yet" and then the police just ignored us
  • Calling your horse during a mission when a character is going to walk to your horse to use your saddlebags causing them to fly through the air to remain next to your horse
  • Trying to climb up a snowy slope with my horse, slid back down and then continued to slide forever in the "horse sliding" animation- could steer it like I was riding a bobsled or something. It stopped once I slid back up a hill and then down again.
  • NPC buddies getting stuck behind objects and unable to progress (on a specific mission) repeatedly, causing them to die to enemies that I couldn't see (had to skip the checkpoint)
Those are the ones that come to mind immediately - luckily it lets you skip checkpoints after 3 or so failures or I'd be mad as it was one of those long "epic" missions and I hate redoing those from the start.

Romes128 posted:

For the people who can’t get the surrender prompt in the sheriffs office I usually have to antagonize someone in the office once or twice before it shows up in the dialogue options.

But DON'T pull the gun on them, they'll just shoot you. I had to go into the sheriff's desk and steal canned peaches and surrender that way.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 5, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

shortspecialbus posted:

PancakeTransmission thinks this is a can of peaches. That is incorrect, PancakeTransmission. Your weekend pass is revoked. This is Sheriff Property that was taken without authorization from his mess shelves and the Sheriff will not tolerate thievery in his town.
Man I love Band of Brothers. Gotta rewatch it soon I reckon.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Anyone know a good guide to what resources are needed for the various Trapper clothes? Googling turns up an IGN guide to the outfit pieces, but I can't find anything for the individual hats/vests/etc.
This one didn't show up on google for me either, but someone else linked it for me in the thread. Reckon they need to work on their SEO game.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/108171/trapper-guide-crafting-clothing-and-prices-red-dead-redemption-2

HORMELCHILI posted:

Does the trapper actually move around? In my first playthrough his “travelling stall” didnt travel, and its at the same spot so far in this second playthrough
Also, turns out that the trapper doesn't have a camp unless you kill the legendary bear - I made it to chapter 4 in my first playthrough before doing the bear, and that's what triggered the camp appearing (Many other legendaries killed, zero camps - I'd check the map every time). Second playthrough, he appeared as soon as I killed the bear straight after Hosea's quest.
Let me tell you, it loving sucks riding from all the way west/north down to Saint Denis with one legendary pelt at a time (because you can't carry two Massive pelts at the same time)

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 5, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Qubee posted:

beating someone up who knew the terms of the deal, yet still agreed to take it, only to try and weasel their way out of it definitely deserve the beat down.
Yes, offering loans to people that you know probably won't be able to repay is definitely the right thing to do. These desperate idiots deserve a beat down or death. Luckily, nobody gave out loans to anyone who asked without even checking their ability to repay in the 20th-21st century!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

uncle w benefits posted:

This game is supposed to have sex and nudity in it, but so far, well into chapter 4, I have yet to see even one :yosbutt:

If there is no nudity I can stop kicking my kid out of the living room to play it.
Blowing off a dude's head with shotgun: fine, normal
Pair of titties: HOLY poo poo COVER MY CHILD'S INNOCENT EYES

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

ThomasPaine posted:

Iirc all the loan shark missions are optional?
You recall incorrectly. The early ones are all mandatory - I'm looking at the Chapter 2 guide right now. Of course there is no way to avoid the one you are talking about, because that would require a completely separate story arc.

Edit: in fact, I tried to avoid doing the quest at all, and when you go to start the letter from Mary Linton, Strauss came over and interrupted me and put me in the mission without a choice .

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 6, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Section Z posted:

Bump into a man on my way into the tailor. The red negative karma icon pops up even as they say "Sorry mister"
Tailor: Hey, they picked your pocket!

One minute chase later, I get a pop up as I tackle them to the ground and threaten them for my money back.
"1 out of 5 people held up".

I can see why so many people give up and just say gently caress it to all pretenses of good behavior, when you can't even get robbed without the game being passive aggressive about it :v:
It wasn't red karma icon, it was red "-$30.23" or however much they stole.
It IS funny that retrieving what was stolen from you counts as robbery though.

Also funny: Standing near bodies you didn't kill, not getting suspected of murder. Carrying a bounty and nobody cares, but carrying an innocent and suddenly everyone is reporting you for kidnapping.
It's not that NPCs are witnessing a suspected crime and reporting it to the law, it's that they know if you're guilty, and are just giving you a timer to stop them reporting.

I had an NPC do the "my horse died and I need a lift" thing. They were walking in the same direction as me, so sure. Then they get on and say they're actually headed for a town in the way I came from and that I'm taking them the wrong direction! So why were they walking the wrong way to begin with?

Also, if you find a place that the lawmen 100% cannot find you (eg at the bottom of a ladder off the pier docks in Saint Denis), but is still within the red detection ring, they'll just spawn forever and never give up. 10/10, 100% game, absolutely perfect with no bugs at all. Anyone that dares suggest otherwise should be drawn and quartered. And death threats on twitter of course.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Marenghi posted:

Is dead eye supposed to regen like health and stamina when your core is full?

Mine has never, the only way to recover it is using chewing tobacco.

No. Killing people outside of Dead Eye does, the core affects how much each kill increases the bar.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

esperterra posted:

If someone told me Pamela Adlon was her VA I would believe it tbh. Whoever is playing her definitely sounds enough like Adlon.
Alex McKenna. She hasn't done much VA work other than a minor character in Legend of Korra
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571327/

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Section Z posted:

My brother and I have noticed that a lot of the time, it will just say a generic "Can of fruit. Can of vegetables." etc on the prompt. So you either move on and ignore it if you can't pick it up. Or go full OCD to squint in first person mode if it's a can of kidney beans or strawberries so you can eat one of those to pick up this new one.
As much as I hate the speculation in this thread without referring to in game or written evidence, I'm pretty sure you can eat any can to pick up a new one. I've never specifically checked what the label on the can it is, but if it says vegetables, I eat a can of whatever vegetable I see first in the wheel so I can pick them up and it's never failed so far.

I think it's just a max of X cans of food (not per type of canned food) but I can test tonight easily enough.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Section Z posted:

My hurdle with tiny stuff is that shooting them with small game arrows still seems to gently caress up their pelts for me? Given how few I ever get around to making, watching my tiny ammo count means I'm drat sure my small game arrows are set. Like chasing snakes for revenge after they bite me, and watching 3 stars from my trail become 1 star once I reach them. Is Morgan stomping them when triangle makes me approach then dance around them until I picked them up from a specific angle?
I've found you still need to hit them in their critical spots to get the perfect pelt.

I've also seen a 3 star raccoon drown itself and become 1 star... dunno how that happened as I hadn't even fired a shot yet and it made a noise and died

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

bear is driving! posted:

Gavin Spoiler for anyone who wants to know - There is no Gavin in the game. No voice actor listed for "Gavin" in the credits either. The current theory is that Gavin either left Nigel and never told him and went back to England or died, but no one has found him yet.

Post Game Gavin stuff: he's still wandering around, but ~7 years of wandering around has made him haggard looking and he's lost his hat

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

shut up blegum posted:

What? Did you get the chance to kill her?

I guess when you ask to shoot her picture? I wish I had thought of that now in my evil playthrough.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Zaphod42 posted:

Night time passes faster than day time does. Its weird but its definitely intentional and actually works kinda well, especially if you don't time it and realize. There may be other exceptions for missions or something.
Time doesn't pass on missions unless it's scripted to - if you press Up on the dpad during a mission it won't even display the time.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

BobKnob posted:

Do pelts you give the camp for crafting count for the outfits and saddles that the Trader makes?

No. Completely separate. Shame that camp upgrades (other than satchel) are worthless, I spend approx 1 second out of every hour in the camp. Wow. A fancy rug. Yes let me grind for hours looking for perfect pelts for something I can't even wear :rolleyes:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Fool posted:

Recently discovered that you can actually hide from the cops in St. Denis and your wanted status will eventually go away.

Only if you're outside the red ring. If you get wanted on the docks and jump in the water to hide (hang off the ladder at the bottom), cops will never give up because you're nearby, and they keep spawning. Even though no cops actually see you or try to shoot you etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

turtlecrunch posted:

Is there a map or quest I need to get in-game to find all the Legendary animals or do I just look it the locations on the internet
It's a separate map (look in your satchel) because it's too hard for Arthur to copy all the locations to the normal map. But at least once you get to the area (if it's not in "too much activity" mode) you get it on the map.