Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

webmeister posted:

I’m not that guy, but I’ve been playing fine on an i5. I was getting the stuttering pretty constantly in the prologue, but it diminished when I got to the open world proper. The first few times in Valentine were awful, but now I’m mostly done with chapter 2 and I get stutters maybe once an hour if that.

None of the core disabling or process lasso tricks worked for me - maybe it’s because I’m only on a GTX970 and using low settings? 1080p 30fps and the quality sliders are about 3-4/10.

This is my experience as well. I can't really play online because of the stuttering. The stuttering isn't frequent, but if you stutter too hard it disconnects you and shoots you back to the main menu. In GTA5 this would result in a solo lobby, but not in this. Luckily the single player seems like its going to keep me busy for quite some time. As someone who didn't bother to follow anything regarding Red Dead 2 because I don't have a console, this game is everything I wanted and expected it to be. To me it feels like Red Dead 1 was kind of a prototype, and this game is the logical conclusion of GTA5 and Read Dead 1. That's really all I could ask for. My biggest complaint is that every thing is so slow paced that I couldn't imagine replaying it any time soon. Like drat the first couple hours are barely interactive at all. The first time through its all excellent and fresh but becomes a huge slog if you're forced to re-do large portions due to, say, a crash.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's the quickest way to draw your gun on PC?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

peer posted:

probably in mspaint

I tried a controller out of curiosity and discovered that if you just hold Right Trigger then you dude quickly takes out a gun and immediately starts blasting. Mouse/Keyboard is inconsistent. Sometimes I just need to press Right Click to aim, other times I need to press Right Click and then a prompt comes up at the bottom telling me to press LEFT CLICK while holding right click, just to aim.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

TAB for your previous, 1 for your pistol. Long arms are mapped to 8, but that’s a bit of a reach if you’re still trying to move. For that I have been using the TAB wheel.

This sucks. I had to make a second bind for "Take Out Gun" or whatever, because Tab is too finicky. If I really need to quick draw I just end up panicking and bringing up the weapon wheel. Your explanation isn't accounting for the fact that you still have to press AIM and SHOOT in the scenario you described. With a controller its just point and mash the trigger.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The other mechanic I haven’t found on PC is the slow draw into dead eye by slowly pulling right trigger.

Whoa whoa, what

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Whorelord posted:

Watched one of these, apparently you can just lasoo animals then knife them to get perfect pelts, this was never told to me at all

Much easier said then done. Anyone have tricks for the lasso? Should I only be throwing if I had a red dot cursor? Do I have to lead it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You have to specify Free Aim in your control settings, so that you only end up in Free Aim lobbies. GTAV was the same way. On the other hand, the mouse aim feels floatier than I would like, especially after playing something hyper responsive like Call of Duty. It almost feels like the entire game was built around the idea that you were going to be locking on to folks.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 7, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

Kinda weird I can't set CPU affinity in task manager though, running as admin it still tells me access is denied.

Just as well, it causes problems. The stuttering will now come with a horrific screeching sound.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

So should I just not bother with Process Lasso as well?

I was using a different program that did the same thing, BEM. It made the stuttering happen less frequently but when it did happen, it would result in a crash. Now I still get the hitch every 15 minutes or so but it never crashes. The thing thats making performance tips so hard to sift through is, Chapter 1 seems to be way more performance heavy than Chapter 2, and then Valentine seems to have problems of its own. And then some of these so called solutions have problems that don't immediately present themselves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So as an i5 user I think I may have just solved my stuttering issue, knock on wood. Here's the major steps I took.

-Use DX12 instead of Vulkan. Vulkan was fine until I got to Valentine, then it started to crash constantly. DX12 fixed this right up.

-DX12 didn't seem to help my framerate... UNTIL I enabled Triple Buffering, then it became smooth (except for the stuttering issue)

-I'm using a program similar to Process Lasso called BEM. Here are the specific instructions about what to do with this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dta9du/4c4t_bes_may_have_fixed_textures_and_hanging/

I've never used Process Lasso but it sounds like some of you were having issues with it.

-Lock your framerate to 30fps which I was doing anyway because I can't achieve 60fps. In nVidia control panel, Select "Manage 3D Settings"->"Program Settings" find "Red Dead Redemption 2 (rdr2.exe)" and set "Vertical Sync" to "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" In RDR2 graphics settings turn on V-Sync. This may not be necessary depending on how powerful your rig is, but I felt it necessary to include it in case there is a chance that its a mandatory part of this method. I suspect that by limiting your framerate via a third party program the game still thinks it has breathing room instead of just locking up at 100%, but that is just pure speculation on my part.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So as an i5 user I think I may have just solved my stuttering issue, knock on wood. Here's the major steps I took.

lol nvm. It's still there. But much less frequent, took me about one to two hours before i encountered one

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orv posted:

I'm getting a mildly to extremely worrying graphical glitch that could just be a weird confluence of settings or it could be my card dying so I thought I'd run it by the thread and see if anyone's seen anything similar.

Basically any time there's any kind of fine-grained explosion of particles - hoof beats in dusty terrain, muzzle flash, blood in some cases - and also sometimes in the rain, those particles express as vivid neon green and red rather than as what they're supposed to be. Which to me screams dying GPU except it's only those effects, there's no similar effect in any other game and the game itself otherwise runs tremendously.

Worrying but given the state of things I'd believe it's just a mess.

I get this if I play after being ALT-TABBed too long

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dedian posted:

I found starting it up troublesome as well. Usually I: set the waypoint, get on the road in the right direction, come to a stop(-ish) then hold shift+v and nothing else... has worked, so far.

You just press shift once to align yourself to the road.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've found that in order to fix the i5 stuttering you need to use both BES and Process Lasso at the same time. I was able to solve both me and my friend's stuttering problem completely by doing this. It's possible that some of these steps are unnecessary, but these instructions from start to finish solved our issue. I'll try to make these instructions as simple as possible

-Start BES. Start Process Lasso. Start Red Dead.
-On BES, Click Target. Near the middle are some boxes that say Friend, Unknown, Foe. Select friend.
-Find RDR2.exe. Click Limit/Watch. Click Yes. With RDR2.exe selected, click Friend. Now go to the slidey bar beneath that and set that to 2%.

-On to Process Lasso. Locate RDR2.exe. Right click, select CPU Limiter. Fill in the following:
When CPU Usage is: 94%
For a period of (LEAVE BLANK) seconds
Reduce by this many cores: 2
For a period of 1 second
Click Add Rule.

That should do it. If anyone would like to take these steps and report back I would be very happy to hear the results. Hope this helps you guys!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Got the trader license. Tried my first long distance route. What a huge loving mistake that was. 20 boring as gently caress minutes later and I almost lost because I wasn't expecting the shootout at the end. Please tell me the local routes are more reasonable because I honestly never want to do that ever again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I helped a goon play Red Dead 2. My purpose is complete *floats away*

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Friendly reminder that if you've not yet reached level 70 with the Outlaw Pass in RDO, it ends in one week from today Nov. 18th.

Glad I read that somewhere because I've taken a break from RDO, so if you're like me, get back on that trail mister!

What's the deal with this? Is there any chance of them doing this same content again so PC players can get it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Turns out Outlaw Pass isn't even on PC. Oh well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

UnknownMercenary posted:

So has the patch actually dropped yet? I didn't notice any downloads and trying to play at all gives me stutter so I'm thinking no, but I wanted to be sure.

Negative. Also the new Nvidia drivers really tanked my performance so I rolled them back. Luckily that was super easy to do.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Electronico6 posted:

Patched fixed the stutter, but now I get random crashes, which I didn't before. Also the performance got worse, like 10-15 fps worse.

Check Advanced Options to see if the new option, Tree Tessalation, is enabled. Evidently this really tanks peoples FPS

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fishstick posted:

They also seem to have removed the Free Aim mode setting for online completely now for some reason. So now you get mixed with people who have literal aimbot on a button.

I still see it...?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I still see it...?

poo poo, just confirmed that the lobbies are indeed combined. Changing your lock-on settings mid game does nothing, before it wouldn't let you. And if you tried to join your friend in the "wrong" lobby it would warn you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So does anyone else kinda not feel like playing online anymore now that Free Aim lobbies are gone? Am I overreacting? So far every Free Roam event I've done has just been me getting killed within seconds by someone deathmatching, regardless of the objective.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was one of the people mentioning the drivers, I'm on the newest drivers right now. I am not quite at the performance that I was right at launch but it's fine. I feel like a performance dip happened after the patch that felt a lot like the Nvidia dip, so I don't think an older driver would really help in this case. Maybe though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol PSA to remember to go into a free aim lobby. I forgot to do this and got rolling block rifle head shot about 50 times in a row. Some really impossibly shots.

Also PSA, there doesn't seem to be any downside to being in Defensive Mode. It's not like Passive Mode in GTA, you can still attack people. Its just like a buff vs other players that you get for not being hostile

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Noirex posted:

I got a bounty for Animal Cruelty because I accidentally trampled a dog to death, I didn't even know that was a thing.

You oughta hang for that, varmint

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i5 user reporting in, tried the launcher argument but it just leads to CTD's instead of stuttering. frustrating because i would be able to work with the stutter for now, but causes disconnects in online so i can't do any mission or session for much longer, and once the stuttering starts, it gets worse even after restarting the game.

This happens to me if I set my RDR2.exe to have High CPU Priority... is there a chance you've done that?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hihohe posted:

I always headcanon that doing some less than lethal things like punching a guy or shooting them in the hand doesn't kill them. They either pass out or know when to play dead. That X on the map ain't fooling me.

Sometimes when you punch someone it registers as a Knock Out instead of a kill, though. It will count as alive for bounty purposes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Speaking of punching. I’m terrible at the fistfighting, what am I not doing? I can’t seem to block anything ever

What do you mean? Just hold R. Try to time R with their strike to do a bit of a parry type move (I can't think of the word)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I got some perfect pelts belonging to small animals off of some NPCs I killed once. So far its only happened the one time, and I can't remember where it was.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That stuff has been fixed as of yesterday. See here

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SplitSoul posted:

Still getting CTDs near towns, depsite the hotfix. :sigh:

Have you messed with your games CPU priority? When I put it on high, as that is a fix that works in GTA5, I would get crashes instead of stutters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to rob a train once in singleplayer but there didn't seem to be anything on it. None of the passengers reacted to my attempting to rob them. It was super weird.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I heard that the game is good, but the PC port suffers from some issues. Are those mostly fixed now?

This is pure speculation but I imagine they are trying to fix it in time for the Steam release.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FileNotFound posted:

So everyone talks about how the collector is the best way to make money. I went to the collector chick and she wants 15 gold bars....I have like 1. Is there a painfree way to get the remaining 14 that doesn't involve the rockstar store?

Do daily objectives for about two weeks. r/RedDeadDailies

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When people say they make money via collector, they mean they stare at an interactive map/cheat sheet and go from blip to blip for what I assume is several hours. Probably the least fun thing I can think of, aside from Long Distance Trade runs

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kinda feel like you either like this game or you don't. They are definitely not hiding the fun content in the roles, I feel like the idea of getting money to get to the 'fun part' is just going to lead to constant disappointment. I can't figure out how to convey this idea without sounding like a huge dork, so I apologize for that

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elendil004 posted:

The problem with this game and guns and loadouts is that it doesn't respect you. You run up to a guy, and throw a punch with fist equipped, one more click and you shoot them. The number of times I've killed someone I was trying to punch out is loving embarrassing.

You're pressing the wrong button. You should be pressing F if you want to just be punchin' folk

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakarne posted:

Man, there are too many loving poopsockers :argh:. Trying to get my last free roam event win for the belt and it's always like a level 150 dude with 5x the score of the next lowest person. Like I've been really focusing the fishing event, and the last two were ridiculous. I finished second on a lake fishing one with like 30-ish pounds to a level 120's.... 90lbs. Next was a swamp one where I finished 3rd with 25 pounds, 2nd was 34 pounds, and first was a level 146 with like 85 pounds.

I can't outright say they're cheating, but it feels like there are some shenanigans going on. Is there some way to cheese fishing? I feel like I'm doing pretty solid (I know about using deadeye to find fish, pulling the rod, etc) but what they're doing seems borderline impossible.

I agree with all of this. I've stopped doing free roam events because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fishstick posted:

Does anyone else experience a lot of ghosting, especially in specific lighting conditions? Like in sunsets or foggy moonlit nights, especially with cinematic cam I see a lot of ghosting on bright objects. Flowers, white shirts, etc all leave noticeable ghost trails.

It's not my monitor because at other times of day and in other games everything looks fine, so I'm guessing its some lighting/fog setting but I haven't been able to nail it down.

Pretty sure its TAA that causes that.