Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm really trying to enjoy this game but it's hard to get through the lovely, lovely, lovely controls and the fact that the game keeps tripping over it's big, swingin' "Cowboy Simulator 2000 realism" dick.

Scenario: I want to go into town and rob a back room.

Attempt 1: On my way into town, a hijacked stagecoach pulls in front of me and I'm ambushed. Neat, I'll just hit LB to pull out my weapon... oh wait, nothing happens. It decided I wouldn't equip my shotgun even though I just had it out and put it away. So I open up the full weapon menu to get it out, but as I pull it out I'm shot off my horse, roll around on the ground and die before I can even do anything. Cool.

Reload 1: I approach the area with my weapon already drawn after resetting my loadout after I loaded. Since I'm just fighting the enemies and not the lovely controls I get through no problem. Cool shootout. I get into town, dismount my horse and double check to make sure I have all my weapons on me. Manual save. I then go in to rob the shop after I put on my mask. I have the shopkeeper get me through the locked door in the back, pull out my shotgun, kill everyone, then leave on a stolen lawman's horse. I ride for literally 15 minutes evading them - there are at least 4-5 times where I have no lawmen in sight of me but the red circle keeps following me and more lawmen magically spawn right near me and reset my wanted status. Eventually my horse gets shot out and I die while I'm on the ground. If their precious realism was evenly applied I would've gotten away easily 2-3 times, but magic teleporting all-seeing lawmen. loving bullshit.

Reload 2: I go back up to the shopkeeper and have him get me through the back door again. I go to pull out my shotgun but apparently saving doesn't save your weapon loadout so all I have is my lovely revolver. God damnit, I'll just reload.

Reload 3: I stop at my horse and pick up my shotgun. I go back up to the shopkeeper and have him try to get me through the back door. While he's talking with them I switch to my shotgun. I can't aim my shotgun with LT for reasons, it says I need to aim with RT because apparently the shopkeeper is in my general area? I press RT and instead of aiming it just fires immediately, killing the shopkeeper. They don't open the back door.

Reload 4: I stop at my horse to pick up my shotgun. I go back to the shopkeeper and have him get me through the back door. I select my shotgun but don't even bother trying to aim it. Once the door opens, I still can't aim my shotgun with the normal button until I round the corner into the room. I kill everyone again, steal their poo poo, then hop on my horse. The game pulls the magic teleporting lawmen trick, and the red circle keeps following me even when no one is in sight. However, I manage to beat the bullshit system and eventually the all-seeing red eye of sauron wild west lawmen stops following me. I lose my wanted level, but still managed to acquire a $100 bounty even though I had my mask on. Whatever.

This simple act of robbing a shop took about 45 minutes; not because the robbery took a long time but because of all the bullshit systems that kept getting in the way. It's one thing to die because you get shot dead in a bad robbery, that's fair. But I had to reload 4 times because of bad and arbitrary controls and bullshit game systems (magic teleporting all-seeing lawmen in what's apparently supposed to be a hyper-realistic cowboy simulator). I really hope it gets better, because for like 5 out of those 45 minutes when I could actually focus on shooting and robbing it was fun as hell. I'm just not sure if the tedium is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Qubee posted:

lmao what a limp dick experience the (doctor's) back room poker game robbery is

sat outside town, changed my outfit, put an execution mask on. went in with two revolvers, a double barrel shotgun, dynamite and a repeater. figured I didn't know what I was getting myself into, so I may as well go in heavily armed. get the guy to open the back room up, rob the till, then throw a stick of dynamite into the room. arthur thinks it's great timing to slowly walk out the room, and the dynamite takes me off my feet, but not too much damage. the inside of the room looks like a blender after 7 strawberry smoothies have been made in it. go to loot everything I can, but the loot mechanic keeps on getting bugged, and arthur just stands around for 5 seconds, not letting me move or do anything, until the loot option comes up again and I can loot it.

I go up to the safe and try to use my easy lock tool to open it. no bueno? I lob dynamite at it, and arthur again slowly shuffles to the far side of the room. the blast puts me on my rear end for the second time that day. lawmen are calling outside, saying they know I'm in here. I'm an unknown suspect. I loot everything in the room, then go to leave through the back door (where I conveniently left my horse). I peek through the door slot. I let go. I peek through the door slot. I let go. the gently caress? there's a wooden bar locking the door and there's no way to open it, so I'm forced to leave through the front door (I tried shooting the bar, using my easy lock tool, throwing another stick of dynamite at it, nothing opened it). I bolt out the front door cause I know how loving janky the bounty system is, I ain't about to kill lawmen and end up with a $200 bounty again. the second I step outside, I go from "unknown suspect" to "arthur morgan" and my bounty goes to $27 straight away. I get on my horse and ride off into the sunset. a $200 robbery with a $27 bounty that I could do nothing about, it's just meh.

combined with the jankiness of the looting, arthur's unwillingness to haul rear end when he has to, and the hivemind lawmen AI collective somehow figuring out my identity despite wearing a full hooded executioner's mask turned what should have been a fun and awesome event into a shitpile of an experience. I dumped all my money into the ledger and just cheesed it by walking into the sheriff's office and turning myself in????

nice. I save scummed this and tried a bunch of different tactics. I tried shooting every single lawman to death. $200 bounty. I tried fleeing without fighting, $27 bounty. I tried killing the doctor, no dice. what the gently caress man.

Ha, this is the same robbery I was bitching about. Also I am a PC gamer and I freely admit to being dogshit at shooting on consoles. There were a few times I died from loving up aiming and that's on me, I wasn't complaining about that. But no this isn't my first console game - poo poo, I got to rank 100 on GTA:O on consoles before PC came out. The controls are objectively poo poo that I could see working up to "OK" when you get used to them.

Is this YOUR first video game, anime nerd?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

This seems pretty well optimized. I cranked everything to ultra and I'm holding steady between 35-40fps. It works fine and looks phenomenal but I'd like to get it closer to 60. Anyone found any oddball settings that you can tune down for a decent bump?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a way to play RDO online solo? Has anyone tried lag switching or found another method that works?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

JosefStalinator posted:

How anyone could play a game with any shooting element with a controller is beyond my ability

I feel like this game is the prime example of this. I played it on X-box for a bit but the gunplay was so lovely and sluggish that I just stopped and prayed to baphomet that they'd release it on PC. And sure enough, things like "having to fight 2 or more things in the open" went from annoyingly difficult to enjoyable when I could actually accurately swing my gun around to more than one target before getting shot dead .

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Has anyone tried/found a way to get a solo session for online? I'll try some janky poo poo but maybe someone found a way already.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

webmeister posted:

I’ve found the best strategy for dealing with ambushes is to just ride away as quick as you can for 5-10 seconds. Use that time to draw your weapons etc and heal up before turning around and blasting them.

Yeah, the big thing is to get them all on one side. It's drat near impossible to turn fast enough to kill multiple attackers on different sides when you're out in the open. Which makes sense, this is the opposite of ~gun kata~ game play. Your first priority should be to get out of being surrounded, which may or may not be best served by immediately focusing on killing. If you can kill a single flanker quickly then focus the rest, you may be ok. If they're coming from all sides, you need to fall back so you're not surrounded.

Also, deadeye is the other half of this. I always make sure to have a healthy reserve for situations like that. It makes it easy to drop multiple attackers, as long as you don't have to spin all around to tag them. Again, not being surrounded is key.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Professorjuggalo posted:

Also in awe about all the tiny details stuffed into the game but I can jerk that off after everyone’s game stops crashing (it runs better than GTAV on my computer somehow)

I'm in the same boat and I first ventured into this thread to say how amazingly well optimized this pc port is. Then I started seeing like half the people couldn't even launch the game. Oops

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Are there separate lobbies for free aim in online for PC? Google just shows people bitching about not having separate lobbies, but a goon mentioned there were separate lobbies so I'm confused.

Free aim (with a mouse) is very satisfying and I'd hate to be at a disadvantage if I don't use assist online. I noticed you get bonus exp for free aim kills which is a nice touch

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Question about trader deliveries: do they show up as blips or have any type of alert to other players (assholes) that they can gently caress with your shipment? It seems easy enough to avoid other players, so I may try some long distance deliveries unless the game specifically makes the cart a big target.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

somethingawful bf posted:

Yeah they do. I was playing last night and got a notification that I could now attack someone or something along those lines, I didn't get a chance to read the message, and I saw a red blip on my radar. I chased after him to see what the deal was and it was a person doing a delivery. I decided to leave him alone because I'm cool like that though.

Good to know thanks. I'm surprised I haven't seen any of those alerts, I wonder if it's proximity based or something.

Also I feel like the enemy NPC numbers are a bit excessive, especially out in the open. Having like 10+ spawn is a bit ridiculous to fight in a place with no or little cover. Also, they have a lot more cover in the form of bushes and plants - I can't see them through bushes when they break line of sight but they'll of course know exactly where I am and can shoot with pinpoint accuracy even if I'm not visible behind plants or whatever. It makes it frustrating and feels unfair to fight, especially near forests.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah it wasn't as bad with a controller and auto aim in that situation. Come to think of it I did a lot of blind shooting on console where I'd just let it snap to an enemy and fire without needing to see them. But I really prefer using keyboard/mouse with free aim, it's a lot more satisfying. That's the particular instance where it really falls flat though.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I just tried a Free Roam Event and they don't seem worth it at all. They use your own stash of ammo, degrade your weapons ridiculously fast, then potentially drop you on the other side of the map. And you get like... $10-$20 and half a piece of gold unless you win? I feel like they need to bump up the rewards, I'll probably try them once or twice and just not bother unless there's a stupid fun game mode or something.

Edit: Ok I'm REALLY starting to loving hate online. Just did a local delivery and one of the scenarios is apparently the buyers getting ambushed by like 20 people. And if they die I just lose the whole loving shipment. What a lovely, dumb, loving terrible design. Having to keep alive loving dumb NPCs is the worst poo poo. There are just so many loving dumb design decisions. gently caress.

Edit 2: I'll just get all my bitching out now. Having my camp randomly packed up is annoying enough, but then they charge you $2 because Rockstar decides you can't have your camp down? gently caress that bullshit.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 11, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Short route has a shootout at the end but you can’t get ganked by players. Do not do the long routes.

I mentioned it in my rage post earlier, but is there some trick to keeping the chucklefuck buyers (or any NPCs really) alive in missions like that? The only two missions I’ve actually failed have been because the idiot NPCs get gunned down before I can merc the 15+ enemies that spawn.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Satisfying shots - free aim edition:

My scarred murder hobo:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sleekly posted:

anyone else find naming their horses after a snack works well?
Biscuit, Custard and Strawberry got me thru SP.
Online Beans is doing some heavy lifting. Franks has more stamina but spooks if someone drops their hat.

My tastes in food are simple lol

My horse is black with a white strip down the middle of his face. His name is Oreo.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

For the local routes if there's a shootout specifically, just tokyo drift the cart into the dropoff point through the enemies, and then you can take care of the bandits from a ton of cover with little risk. I've never had more than one of the trading post guys die. I think if you hold off and try to pick them off from a distance theyre just gonna beeline for the trader NPCs. I've lost some of the random events like defending camps because I tried to pick off from a distance, making yourself an available target even if you're in cover usually works the best for keeping any npc's alive.

Unrelated: Is it me or is the underweight/overweight system in Online dumb as hell? I'm chain-eating pork and venison at camp and can never seem to climb out of underweight. Big Game meat seems to work but do I really have to shovel 5 pieces of big game in my craw each time I log on just so I don't turn into a walking skeleton? Slamming Whisky until you black out seems to add one "level" of weight, but still

Thanks I’ll try that next time. I was running around the perimeter flanking and killing all the dudes and they just obliterated the traders. I was dropping them fairly quickly but it felt like I’d need a machine gun to actually kill them fast enough before all the buyers ended up dead. Time to give my LeMat another workout, I’m loving that gun. Maybe I should invest in a better repeater too, is there a good one for taking out larger groups of enemies?

I haven’t had any issues with weight, I just eat/drink something when any one of my cores get at or below half and I’ve maintained average weight. Maybe mixing it up helps too? I eat a lot of stuff I scavenge (canned veggies and fruit, liquor, etc) along with game meat. Clearly they need an in-game dietician.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I need to stop dropping my guard in free roam, I've died an embarassing number of times to animals.

"Oh sure, I'll help that dude in the tree surrounded by cougars, it won't be bad at all!" *3 vicious mauling deaths later* "drat that's a lot of scratch marks on my character."

"Hehe, stupid, slow gators die so easily. I'll just get down off my horse and help that stranger... hey, what's that red dot coming at me? Noooo, why did you switch back your revolver you stupid gently caress!" *chomp*

"Great, wolves chasing me on horseback. I'll just pop them off with my shotg..." *crashes into rock and gets thrown off horse* "Hmm... now I'm on the ground with a sliver of health left and 4 wolves surrounding me. loving hell"

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Love the brutal kill-cam headshots

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

https://i.imgur.com/SKqDjeZ.mp4

Will inattentive teammates do?

God drat, that made my nose and face hurt just watching it. loving ouch.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

This is so trivial, but how do you rotate your camera when you're crafting at a campfire? On console I could swing it around and watch my dude actually cook stuff, but for some reason it's just locked to his back. It makes it even more tedious having to make large batches of things and I feel dumb for not being able to figure this simple task out

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

somethingawful bf posted:

You can set up a loadout (main hand/offhand/back weapon/shoulder weapon) in a gun store, but story missions pretty much ignore it and it tends to get reset rather often.

What's even stranger to me is that it isn't like this at all in online. If you select your weapons, they're always selected and on you without having to constantly reselect them every time you get off your horse and it persists even when you log off and log back in. Meanwhile in single player you have to make sure your guns are selected every drat time you load in, dismount, or start a new mission. Which makes it seem like they intentionally want it to be a pain in the rear end to carry weapons with you.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

They definitely broke something about waypoints though, I can't set markers on the map anywhere close to where I'm aiming, it always sets it at a seemingly random spot now.

I noticed the same thing. What works for me is left clicking to set the target, and then hitting enter to drop the way point.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Wheezle posted:

Yeah I find you have to swing your camera to where you want it as your character is doing the “sit down at fire” animation and it’ll lock to wherever you leave it.

...And if I'm playing in 1st person it wouldn't be possible. That makes perfect sense as I think I always played in 3rd person on Xbox so I probably just did it automatically without thinking. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So does anyone else kinda not feel like playing online anymore now that Free Aim lobbies are gone? Am I overreacting? So far every Free Roam event I've done has just been me getting killed within seconds by someone deathmatching, regardless of the objective.

Oh wow that would explain a lot. Was that change after the update last night? I did Railroad Baron after the update downloaded and it sure did seem like people were hitting me a lot more consistently when I was going full tilt on my horse. That really sucks and I hate the change, but it makes me feel a bit better because I still held my own and kicked a lot of rear end against auto-aim scum.

Hopefully it's just a bug and they fix it because that really blows. I'll probably only log on to keep my daily streak going and just focus on the single player for now.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Rejoice, free aim lobbies are supposedly back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnl...es_are_back_pc/

Can anyone confirm? Stupid work, I really want to play my cowboy mans game

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

I hosed around last night getting into gunfights and people are so bad at shooting even the free aim didn't help. Yeah if you found someone who was skilled enough to abuse it they could keep you down but you do what you do anytime you find a posse that won't back down: Go somewhere else.

It was actually very nice to be in such populated lobbies. People just want to wave and nod at each other. I defused a 4 on 1 situation with a simple wave and we all went to the bar, got smashed on 50 cent whiskeys and fist fought each other before going our separate ways. I liked the risk of getting owned by auto aim way more than lobbies with 4 people in them that I'll never see.

Nobody is going to echo this opinion because goons all be looking for that next CEO crate to haul in peace.

I mean cool but it really does put you at a massive disadvantage beyond delivering crates. I did two Railroad Baron free roam events before and after the update and there was a huge difference, and I wasn't even aware they merged the lobbies. I was a bit suspicious because of how some people were able to consistently land 2-3 body shots in a row or chain headshots (without using deadeye) while people are riding at angles from them or zig-zagging on their horse.

Shootouts have a completely different feel on free aim, they're a lot more chaotic and frankly feel more realistic and satisfying. People (myself included) constantly miss simple, close shots because they don't have a controller automatically lining everything up for them. Like in a real shootout.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

There's no "but" about it, I know. Do your sanity a favour and stop engaging in rockstar's crates. There's so much else to do that you don't have to saddle yourself with the idiotic stress of Cripps' business.

That entire post you quoted was specifically not about the crates. There are other reasons people want a free aim lobby besides the crates

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Zigmidge posted:

ah my bad I misread your opening sentence which coloured the rest of the post.

In any case, there's no need for free vs auto slapfights, it was only ever a temporary issue that slipped by in the update and was promptly fixed.

Let's end it with this: I agree with your statement about the chaotic good of free aim gunfights with lovely firearms from 150 years ago. I think you will find this gif to be sufficient support of that statement.

https://i.imgur.com/R1E76nV.mp4

I agree, I think free vs auto slap fights are dumb. Play whatever makes you happier when shooting your guns. I just wanted it out there that there's more to free aim than just easier deliveries. Enjoy your (free or auto) western gunfights, fellow goon.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

TescoBag posted:

Anyone got the message on PC they got a free raccoon hat for setting up 2 step verification? Where do I find it?

Wait wtf? I had to punch mine off of a drunken hillbilly and they're just giving them out now?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I highly recommend the trader free roam event. Pvp is disabled and you and a bunch of people just camp on a train popping bandits that try to attack it while it moves between stations. It was really fun and chill.

The hunting event is pretty cool too. I have to say the PvP events are ok if you're really in to that, but this game really feels like it shines in co-op and PvE events.

lambskin posted:

It stops you from being able to use aim assist but of course that doesn't matter if you're using mouse and keyboard.

Oh wow that's the only penalty? I sometimes get the urge to pop some dude but I thought I'd have to come out of defensive first. Good to know!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Love what you did with the Lemats. I want to change the metal on some of my guns but it seems way too costly in gold so I can never bring myself to pull the trigger

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Finally got my first Railroad Baron win

And dual LeMats are the poo poo and the shotgun shells brutally saved my rear end

(I'm still not sure how we both missed each other that close)

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 18, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Poisoned throwing knives/arrows break aggro on cougars/panthers. They'll stop trying to kill you and walk off into the bushes and succumb to the poison. Doesn't matter what part of the body you hit, either.

That is a pro tip, thank you.

Similarly, are stealth kills even possible against NPCs online? If I sneak up to stab one there's no stealth kill prompt and they seem to live through the first normal knife whack. If I use a throwing knife they'll die instantly but everyone still aggros and knows exactly where I am anyways.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I was trying both F and the normal fire button with the knife. I realize this isn't metal gear but it'd be nice if you could quietly take out 1 or 2 guards. I used a throwing knife on a guard with a good vantage point overseeing a hideout. He was elevated, alone, and out of view from others in the camp. The whole hideout aggro'd and instantly knew where I was even though it was an instant, quiet kill.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

I didn't end up liking any of the engraving options for lemat, but I did spend some money on customizing:

Went for a look based on the colt navy:

That's beautiful. I only really liked the default iron or blue steel when I was playing around with it, everything else just seemed off. The Lemats seem almost... duller? And less detailed by default, compared to the other weapons. But that totally works and plays to their design strengths.

I did a blue steel with iron engraving on one of mine and it's beautiful with a nice contrast that gives it more depth and texture (you can sort of see it in the gif I posted). I may do the other one that way too, for now my secondary is just default iron with a blue steel engraving.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

ILL Machina posted:

Haha sharpshooter level up

Even better, it was for shooting my 100th person in the back.

poo poo like that is why I love free aim sessions. Instead of just seeing who mashes their aim key the fastest you get hijinks like this. I always think of the line from Unforgiven about how being a good shot or quick with a pistol is nothing compared to being cool-headed. And it's so true, especially in this game. And when you both lose your cool shenanigans happen (they caught me reloading right after another firefight so I was def rattled).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

abigserve posted:

I've been having fun in online doing bounties and other missions with friends but anything pvp related is hot trash (outside of stabbin' fights)

As someone who generally doesn't like PvP I've found Railroad Baron to be pretty fun and unique. It's king of the hill on a moving train that you have to jump to from your horse. It's a fun take on king of the hill; my only major problem with it is their dumb decision to respawn everyone in a clump behind the train, which leads to a lot of idiotic shooting.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Has anyone found a way to take the new legendary bounty alive? I tried shooting his gun out of his hand during the deadeye draw, but apparently that doesn't work in online. I got like 5 shots into his gun/hand and then he bled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sleekly posted:

Does shooting his weapon work?

Yeah that's what I tried. I hit the weapon dead on multiple times and it didn't work like it does in single player.