Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Some chump decided he had the right to run up and start looting all the dead bodies I just made. He immediately joined them. The nerve of some people... like wtf did he think they just fell from the sky that way? My bullets my loot, motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sleekly posted:

lol yeah same
lootin mah corpses? thats a paddlin

Like it'd be one thing if they shot me and then took my poo poo, I'd get that. But he just ignored me and started looting like it was his loving birthright and somehow that made it more infuriating

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Capn Beeb posted:

There's no incentive to help people not in your posse other than XP and corpse looting.

I had a dude revive my rear end after getting 1-shot by an NPC (apparently they can get headshots too :v:) right as I was finishing up clearing a stranger event. I freed the stranger but told him to go ahead and loot everything since he saved my rear end.

So you may get free loot by being a good dude too!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Speaking of cougars, they're by far the deadliest thing in online and are way too spongey for how deadly and agile they are. One managed to eat a deadeye headshot from my bolt action with an express round and still kept charging. Running in to more than one is almost a guaranteed death for me

Also, is there a way to mercy kill a wounded animal in online without ruining it's pelt? The knife still seems to degrade it with either left click or F, and sometimes it just makes me do a horrific curbstomp that ruins the pelt and makes me feel like more of an rear end in a top hat. :cry:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Basic Chunnel posted:

What's the easiest / funnest / best way to earn scratch in single player? I keep wanting to be a lawless bandit but it's like the game is making some sort of point about how tenuous that kind of life is

Stealing and selling carriages is fun and profitable ($40/pop). The mission to unlock carriage sales is pretty early too. Murder and loot anyone on the carriages and anyone unfortunate enough to head by and you'll have a bunch of other cash and loot you can sell to the fence as well.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh sure so if I point a gun at a guy and straight up rob him that's cool but as soon as I lasso a random slob, pick his pockets, and leave him hogtied on the road to be found by travelers / wandering coyotes within minutes, suddenly I'm the one who's an rear end in a top hat

That's why I've never bothered trying to rob someone and leave them alive. It seems like they always just go for their gun. Just shoot them dead without warning and take their poo poo.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Is there a guide that explains what all the different horse types and handling (race, elite, standard etc) mean? Someone mentioned warhorses may buck you less and that is extremely my poo poo. Like half of my non-pvp deaths are probably from animal ambushes and 3/4 of those involve my horse going chickenshit and throwing me off before I can get shots off.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Man, there are too many loving poopsockers :argh:. Trying to get my last free roam event win for the belt and it's always like a level 150 dude with 5x the score of the next lowest person. Like I've been really focusing the fishing event, and the last two were ridiculous. I finished second on a lake fishing one with like 30-ish pounds to a level 120's.... 90lbs. Next was a swamp one where I finished 3rd with 25 pounds, 2nd was 34 pounds, and first was a level 146 with like 85 pounds.

I can't outright say they're cheating, but it feels like there are some shenanigans going on. Is there some way to cheese fishing? I feel like I'm doing pretty solid (I know about using deadeye to find fish, pulling the rod, etc) but what they're doing seems borderline impossible.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

lambskin posted:

Considering muskie or sturgeon can weigh around 25-35 pounds it doesn't seem that unreasonable to catch 3 or 4 in ten minutes. Keep in mind that they are probably using the special lures which you don't unlock till the 50's I believe? Causes fish to strike the bait more often.

From what I've seen those aren't in for the lake fishing challenge. The notification thing just had them catching an ungodly amount of ~5 lb fish, which is the largest I've seen in the challenge.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Finally got my sexy triangle belt buckle for winning 5 different free roam events and I'm never taking it off

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sipher posted:

Switch Horse Control to Horse Relative. I like the shooting with a mouse but yeah, feels like I'm playing a flight sim sometimes with the amount of buttons to press.

Someone earlier said they feel like they're piloting a star destroyer with K/M and that resonated. Then that made me think it's like the movie Inside Out (Cowboy Edition) except there's only one of you piloting the whole person and that makes me smile and enjoy the game even more for some reason

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

No horse that is not how hooman sit

NO NOT LIKE THAT EITHER HORSE

Fine whatever

Also I managed to win Condor Egg and my dude took the derpiest picture

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

pmchem posted:

RDR online

I was trying to sit down on a chair in a tavern and accidentally grabbed a lady by the throat instead, could not let her go -- dismiss threw her to the ground -- and a guy nearby beat me to death because I didn't want to fight back and gain dishonor/bounty.

um, ok. thanks default rockstar controls. wtf?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about ending up dishonorable - it seems like you have to actually try to not be max honorable. Just feeding, brushing, and petting your horse is enough keep it positive. When I'm doing collecting I usually play a bandit and kill/rob every NPC I meet on the trail and murder every witness that comes along. Even doing that, like 3/4 positive honor is the lowest I ever got.

Also murder is like a 50 cent bounty, I don't even worry about getting a bounty online. Well I mean I still gun down every witness because gently caress the tattlers, but the punishments are pretty mild

Edit: I love my LeMats. Being able to dump shotgun shells in an emergency just saved my rear end from a cougar after my bitch-rear end horse bucked me

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 1, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If I miss a day for dailies, does my reward reset? Or do I get to keep my multipliers? That .5 gold is nice

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I really want the level 20 Kladruber (trader) mount because I'm sick of bitch-rear end horses that buck me when a cougar glances at them, and those are sexy and the best around wildlife (from what I've read). I found a great place to powerlevel trader if you don't mind a slight (but still fun imo) grind.

- Set your camp to Gaptooth Ridge.
- You'll need to session hop until your camp is placed in the open area south of Tumbleweed, North of The Scratching Post, and West of Benedict Point. There are two camp locations that I've gotten in that area so far.
- You only have two delivery locations from those camps: Benedict Point or Scratching Post. Both are less than a minute away for delivery.
- You get the same amount of trader exp (200) even if you only deliver 1 good. So you can quickly chain run deliveries for easy exp. Each level (at least up to 18) is 2k exp so it can go really quick if you get lucky and don't have shootouts on delivery.
- There are plenty of pronghorn and other medium animals around the camp and delivery points. Kill any 3-star animals you see on your way back from deliveries to keep your supplies topped off.
- Also, if you see a large flock of birds shoot a bunch down (Paint It Black card helps). Each feather gives 5 trader exp when turned in, and birds can give 2-4 feathers each. That exp adds up quickly! 5+ birds can be an easy 50-100 trader exp.
- Do supply missions as they pop for 500 trader exp.

I got 3 trader levels in ~2 hours of play doing this and that was with plenty of shooting, looting, and hunting. The trickiest part is getting RNGesus to place your camp in the right spot without Cripps being a fucker and packing it up. The firefights on delivery help keep it interesting, and there's plenty to hunt as well for some variety. Be warned, the Benedict Point delivery location will spawn a LOT of enemy NPCs if there's an ambush, including some elevated on the ridge. So make sure you're able to handle large NPC shootouts.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 3, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I love being at the end of a mission and getting

"You have been disconnected due to a fault in Rockstars ;alkdjfa;lkjfdalfkj"

gently caress YOU YOU FUCKERS.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Totally worth the grind. I'm happy to introduce Hansgruber the Kladruber. :clint:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Also I question this game's method for determining weather suitability for an outfit. I'm wearing a black leather trench coat layered over a (wool/cotton) vest and a long-sleeved (wool/cotton) shirt and it says that outfit is good for hot weather. Even putting on leather gloves it's still rated for hot weather.

gently caress me I couldn't imagine wearing that during summer in the south or southwestern U.S.

Related question, can variants of the same piece of clothing be rated differently for weather? I bought the Marshall coat that didn't have a fur liner, but I'm wondering if the one with visible fur will make it useful for cold climates.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Wow they really didn't want me to complete a daily challenge. I was about to skin my second iguana and apparently the iguana was actually a wormhole

I was just outside of Tumbleweed and traveled through time and space to The Heartlands. It took me another like 15 minutes of searching after I got back to find another iguana. :(

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

Protip: Flat iron lake, the area around braithwaite manor. There's a little pair of islands/sand banks to the south of it that's crawling with iguanas. No need to go to Yuccatown USA each time.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time this daily rolls around.

SplitSoul posted:

Hey, thanks for this. I'm chilling out in the desert now, hunting and carting stuff around.

Glad it helped!

Toaster Beef posted:

I've dicked around a little with RDO and can echo the sentiments of those who have portrayed it as a pretty chill experience. I'm sure there are plenty of griefers and assholes to be found, but between an actually effective defensive mode and the ability to spot people from a ways off, it's pretty easy to be left alone.

My first multiplayer mission involved user TROLLKEK53 and still went off without a hitch, so, hey

The one issue I've started to notice is people griefing with dynamite in non-pvp free roam events. The assholes have discovered that it still sends you flying even if it doesn't "hurt you". Over the past week I've been in multiple trader events where some rear end in a top hat throws dynamite on top of the train as it's going over a bridge to knock people off. And you'll still take falling damage if you get launched by their dynamite.

People have also been using it at the start of events to get a jump start by knocking everyone off their horse (condor egg, salvage, etc). Not a huge deal but still dumb and annoying. They should probably disable the physics effects of player dynamite against others in matches where PvP is disabled.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Saul Kain posted:

PC community is pretty friendly and pleasant. Although there was one time when a nerd point his gun at me and I panicked. I splatted my horse against the side of a building trying to not get shot. I got up, dusted myself off and I blew said offending pubbie's head off out of sheer embarrassment.

Last night, two pubbies rode by and one of them took a random potshot at me while I was getting back on my horse. I was in defensive and they probably thought I wouldn't do anything about it. I rode them both down and shot them off their horses with my trusty dual LeMats. It was the most :clint: moment, and my new Kladruber really earned his stripes on that.

But yeah, 95% of the time people are chill and actually pretty funny. The over-the-top cowboy RPers who crank the gruff accent up to 11 are my favorite

Deakul posted:

I feel horrible every single time, those horse pain sounds. :qq:
When she gets back up I just spend the next minute petting the hell out of that poor horsie.

I'm... the opposite. I had a horse (the pre-order one) that on paper has good stats but is drat near useless for anything except running on a smooth trail. I found out the game wouldn't let me shoot my own horse after it tripped over a loving pebble one too many times.

Fortunately I replaced him and Hansgruber the Kladruber is much braver and more agile. He performed admirably in the face of a charging grizzly bear and he's only 3/4 bonded levels. He also doesn't trip over every god drat stone or incline. Such a great horse, highly recommended. He gets lots of pats and brushes.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think its obvious enough that Defensive Mode is not the same as Passive Mode. It's basically just a huge buff vs players that discourages them from making the first move. I think how it works is, if you shoot and hit someone your defensive bonus goes away and you get a ton of hostility. However if you get shot and return fire you're ok. So I think people bait you into shooting them first.

Yeah, defensive mode for me means "don't gently caress with me" not "I'm a scared pacifist". I could tell they weren't expecting me to chase them and gun them down lol.

Does anyone know if they have to actually shoot you first, or can you attack hostile players from defensive without losing it? The guys that shot me showed red nameplates and dots the same way hostile players do. It'd be nice if I could shoot first with people that are obviously stirring poo poo up in a town.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

pmchem posted:

Breton, Klad, or Cirollo?

I did a lot of research on horses around the internet before deciding which one to buy. What I found are roughly 4 broad metrics besides the obvious health and stamina (which you can easily see on the purchase screen): Speed, Acceleration, Bravery for gunfights, and Bravery for wild animals. What I found:

Breton - Average speed and acceleration for an end-game horse, great bravery in gunfights, ok-to-good bravery around wild animals.

Klad - Average speed, good-to-great acceleration (only horse with a higher acceleration than speed stat), good bravery around gunfights, great bravery around wild animals (possibly best of all horses).

Criollo - Fastest horse, high top speed, good acceleration, ok-to-good bravery around both gunfights and wild animals (it's subjective and seemed to vary).

Again a lot of that's subjective but it makes sense. Collector is the fastest for zooming around the map, bounty hunter needs to be great in a gunfight, and trader needs a brave horse for hunting.

Personally, 90% of my PvE deaths can be linked to wild animals (cougars mainly). And most of those involve getting thrown from my horse, so I went with the Kladruber. I love it so far, I took him Grizzly hunting and he was rock-solid even when the bear was charging at me, and that's only at level 3/4 bonding. He's also good in a gunfight, I don't see him tossing me unless I just sit still and let him get shot repeatedly. He's also the only horse that maxes both health and stamina iirc so he has that going for him too.

Edit: This lady does awesome, succinct overviews of horses. Check these out:

Kladruber: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4MuzXFrVs

Breton: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVxw1MOO3Y

Criollo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ws86N21Xndg

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 7, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I got my Kladruber up to Bond 4 and I can confirm, if you want a horse that's not likely to buck you get one of these. He literally did donuts over a rattlesnake and didn't throw me even when it bit at him. Then he ran it over and killed it like a loving baller

I was also chasing that snake for a good 30-40 seconds before that and he only hesitated once or twice. A gentle pat and he was good to go, no hint of tossing me. This was right after he helped me win a Hunting Kills challenge and rode right up on a rare spawn wolf like a boss.

Edit: He faced a charging grizzly bear and he didn't even flinch!

WHO'S A GOOD, BRAVE BOAH

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 7, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Holy hell I just duo'd a Trade Route event with another pubbie (we had a 3rd that died halfway to the first station). I got 59 kills and he got 81; wore my Lemats nearly all the way down from full. That was sweaty as gently caress but a lot of fun.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 7, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Wow I just tried the dumbest game mode. The horseback kills challenge popped so I thought what the hell, I love railroad baron and that's close. Well, except the fact that they make it so that you LOSE points if you kill someone and you're not on horseback.

Queue another level 150+ player (see earlier complaint re: high-level poopsockers in free roam events) whose strategy was to just snipe your horse from across the map with a bow. Then you can't shoot back at them without losing points. The entire match devolved into people intentionally shooting each other's horses instead of having fun horseback battles. Leave it to poopsockers to exploit a dumb design decision and ruin a potentially fun game match

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I love the old-timey photos the game takes

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I closed out of the moonshiner selection map because an event popped and now I don't see how to become a moonshiner. How do I select it again? I don't have an icon on the map and the "Become a moonshiner!" thing isn't working.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Nash posted:

Emerald station is where it begins I think.

Yeah I went there and she handed me a map to select a spot and I closed it out. Now I can't find where to select a spot again to become a moonshiner.

Oh well, at least I won the drat event

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Lucid Dream posted:

Open the menu you open to see the dailies and whatnot and go down to "camp & properties."

Thanks! I'm guessing that means you can move it at will?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm really digging the moonshine stuff, not sure if how it is profitability-wise but I'm having fun retreating to the peaks near Valentine to distill some mountain dew. Does the bar upgrade generate passive income? Also, holy poo poo there were a lot of people to shoot on that early rescue mission, I think it's like the 3rd or 4th mission. God bless the Slow and Steady card, it really saved my rear end when they kept spawning assholes to surround me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jimbot posted:

A bummer the bar add-on doesn't give you any passive cash flow. It does give you this, however:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/ea7vsk/this_is_the_best_update_ever/

Wow, no passive income for a $950 investment? poo poo, even like $10 a day or something would be good enough but that's a lot of money to throw down on a "business" with no return.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

webmeister posted:

With deer, they’re super skittish so make sure you approach quietly - crouch and walk slowly so your minimap arrow turns grey instead of the usual white. Line up your shot, press Call then hit Deadeye. You should be able to get a headshot pretty reliably with a bit of practice.

A later deadeye upgrade will highlight instakill zones (head and heart), so you can aim for the heart if you want as that won’t move as much.

Or alternatively ride at them full tilt on horseback and shoot them in the head with deadeye (paint it black card if you're online).

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Time I think. I did a mission, then hosed off for a while, and by the time I needed mash again it cost $30, which I think is full price.

Is it possible to zero it out or was that just for your first batch? I think $30 is the discounted (I've seen it at like $40 or $60 for the basic) and I'm wondering if you can get it lower.

Having to put at least $30 in gives moonshine a really lovely rate of return. The most I can sell for so far is like $80, and having just one bottle break seems to knock that down to around $60 for some reason. So $30 profit for a shipment is... meh. Trading is much better. Maybe that changes with better mash, idk.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

zooted heh posted:

30 bucks seems the lowest you can get mash but when you get the final still throwing in 30 bucks to make 250 a case of moonshine every hour isn't a bad investment.

Oh drat that is pretty good. So it seems the baseline is worse than trading but scales up to surpass it with levels and investment. That's cool and fine then.

Also those revenue agents are like special forces or something. They seem much more accurate and deadly than other enemies. I had to clear one of their roadblocks for a bootlegger mission and it was a lot sweatier than other similar missions.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

zooted heh posted:

Making money in RDO is a hell of a lot easier than GTA online.

Yeah I feel like they nailed the economy in this. I've never felt like I'm swimming in cash but I've never felt truly broke either. Gold is a slow but steady trickle if you don't want to buy it. I feel like I can save for any one thing in a reasonable, non-grindy manner and length of time. It's when you start going "I want this, and this, then this, and also this new outfit..." that it really starts adding up.

But nothing feels like a loving GTA yacht where I'd have to play and grind for weeks or months to get that One Thing I Want. I just roam around between hunting, bounty hunting, trading, bootlegging, fishing, clearing hideout, treasure maps, collecting, free roam events, etc and always seem to have enough money coming in to buy a new cool thing and keep myself well-supplied. It's a really fun and relaxing gameplay loop and I'm way more addicted to online than I thought I'd be.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

GeorgieMordor posted:

Wait so I started the Moonshiner Role intro missions, did the supplies mission first, got disconnected and now I have to pay $250 to set up another camp? Will it resume if I do this?

That hasn't happened to me, but I read you can just change sessions and it'll hopefully reappear. It's kind of like the camp bug. No idea if that'll resolve it but it's worth a shot.

Speaking of bugs, I've had 2 annoying ones pop up since the update. When I zone in to an event, I can no longer dual wield. Apparently it has to do with your off hand holster getting unequipped. And since you're in an event, you can't change outfits to reequip it! Also the leather wrap on my shotgun keeps reverting to the default color whenever I log back in, which looks ugly with my color scheme. So I either have to keep the default color or spend $20 to keep changing it back. Damnit, Rockstar

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I haven't died to an animal attack since I got my Kladruber - he doesn't buck me. What's started killing me is the God drat cover system not letting me enter cover. "Oh poo poo I'm getting shot, lets take cover behind this crate/wagon/rock!"..."I said take cover stop standing there".... "Ok, how about we just crouch down and hope that's covered enough" *shot dead*

It seems really bad during railroad baron when I try to take cover on the train. It's maybe a 50% chance I'll actually enter cover, with another dice roll on if I take cover on the correct side of the object

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I don't know if they changed something or just designed the missions better, but it's totally possible to stealth the bootlegger missions where you poison stills. Use a bow and get good with headshots. Also, I read that to stealth with throwing knives you need to hit crouch again right after you throw since it makes you stand up. No idea if that will help, I just use the bow.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Kaddish posted:

I just turned 25 and I can't decide if I want to get another LeMat for dual wield or transition to the Navy. For me it seems like sidearms are mainly oh poo poo weapons or when you know things will be strictly close range and LeMat seems suited for that. But the Navy looks so cool.

I haven't tried the Navy yet but dual Lemats have really really good range and accuracy with the Gunslinger's Choice card (it buffs damage AND accuracy). I hit ranged headshots easier than with my Lancaster Repeater or Bolt Action. Combine that with 18 rounds and 2 shotgun shells for when SHTF and I use those for basically everything except hunting. Even then, the LeMat shotgun shells have saved my rear end from cougars more than once

I highly recommend the Lemats!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ugh the dual wield bug really blows. I can't dual wield in any free roam events, and I can't change my outfit when I'm in there to fix it. Seeing as my setup is entirely based around dual wielding it looks like I'm sitting out any non-hunting events until they unfuck it

Does anyone know a fix specifically for the free roam events?