Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I really hope we get to kill some klansmen in this game

Wrong time period, really. They'd already been suppressed (govt. doing that? Amazing) when RDR2 is supposed to take place and wouldn't fully take another crack at things until 1915.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

I saw a vid on YouTube earlier that was titled something like '11 reasons why we'll never finish RDR2'. Didn't click it, but it's kinda crazy that people are already 'complaining' that the game is too big :confused:

I thought that video was less complaining and more "I'm going to be so busy just doing side stuff I won't even touch the main mission! :D"

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao that the collectors box doesn't even include the game. I'll end up loving this like I do all rockstar games but gently caress me if they aren't total scam artists

That's so you can get the physical stuff while getting the digital edition.

It's why they call it a collectors box and not collectors edition.

Some game got raked over coals for saying edition before, ha.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Almost every sidequest was 'Marston helps a random person, but whoops they died or failed anyway, no moral'.

I'm at the moment replaying RDR on an XBonX for shits and giggles and this doesn't mesh with what I remember and what I'm currently playing.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 22, 2018

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Is that the version that doesn't come with the game?

You're thinking of the Collector's Box.

Man, that is crazy detail. And my mind immediately jumps to having that in RDR Online. Wonder what else gets customization like that.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 24, 2018

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm fairly certain there was mention of an Xbox One X launching with RDR for free, may be worth keeping your eye out for.

I know at the very least through 11/3 you get 100 dollars off any XBox system when you buy RDR2 at Gamestop. And this will stack with the trade in bonus of $250 bucks when you trade in an XBox One S.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Native 4k *and* best performance?
Dang, XBonX, you all right.

Oh and base XBox 864p rip.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

bloodysabbath posted:

Some of these reviews are goddamn hilarious in just how badly these folks don’t want to be writing about games for a living.

Two thousand and late: Crying about social issues in game reviews.

Two thousand and eight (teen): Crying about crunch in game reviews.

I look forward to the next iPhone reviews featuring a lengthy screed against Foxconn inserted in the middle for no real reason.

Yeah, it really sucks to have empathy for people. :rolleyes:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Zotix posted:

Remind me why in 2019 there isn't a synchronized digital release?

What would a synchronized digital release be? I'm a bit confused.

bloodysabbath posted:

The workplace issues situation has been covered extensively in news items and op eds and doesn’t really belong in a proper review of the experience. Like, I disagree vehemently with people who want social issue stuff to tie in to reviews, but that’s what that is, a disagreement about how much that poo poo affects the experience. Your beef with your employer, on the other hand, is entirely irrelevant to the product on screen.

Your perogative to feel that way but I feel that more people talking about it is never a bad thing. Enough is only enough when whatever situation exists stops existing.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Bardeh posted:

A simultaneous release worldwide. So whenever the first region hit midnight (NZ) the game would be unlocked everywhere. WoW did it for its latest expansion release.

Ahhh. There any other games that did that? Because that's the first time I've heard that being a thing.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If I have a 1080p TV and no next-gen system, is it worth buying an Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro just to play this game? Because fuuuuuck paying Microsoft another dime versus Sony just to play this game in its fully glory. :argh:

I did super sampling on a 1080P screen before I bought my new 4k one (shoutouts to TCL for that 55r615. Hot drat that price) and there was a clear difference when playing 4k stuff and 1080p stuff.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Shoehead posted:

It used to happen all the time, I remember desperately relaunching VPNS so I could play...uhhh Saints Row 3 and one of the Borderlands 10 hours early like a nutjob

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I did this with rear end Creed: Oddessy just a few weeks ago. I was a sucker and paid for the 3 day early version and then launched that via NZ from the US. Ended up playing way ahead of most people.

So is this a synchronized release like was mentioned or just 12AM hitting in those territories?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Bardeh posted:

12AM in your territory.

Yeah, that I'm familiar with.

Everything unlocking when it unlocks in NZ is what I'd never seen before.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Sub 900p and the worst performance of the four versions, but apparently outside the bigger towns it still holds 30fps pretty steadily. It does look strikingly worse than all the other versions, but if that's the only console you have then it's still apparently perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Actually, they said it looks the worse but is actually a bit more stable framerate wise than the PS4. Shocker, I know.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Controls aren't super intuitive and it can be confusing trying to do the specific thing the game wants me to do. I just did the train robbery mission, and at the end there's 3 banker dudes that you can choose to spare or kill. I was going to let them live, but one guy won't get on the train. A prompt comes up that says "press R2 to aim your weapon", and as soon as I press R2 Arthur shoots the poor guy in the stomach, and then another prompt comes up warning me about how my actions affect my honor and how people react to me. Sorry dude!

Game is real pretty. Cinematic camera is a nice touch, especially since it seems like every mission I've done so far has about 5 minutes of horse riding and exposition before anything happens. Hoping the game opens up soon.

I think I figured this out. Were you holding L2/LT to have your gaze locked on one of them? If you're doing that and tap R2/RT you'll whip your gun out. If you're not and you press R2/RT you fire from the hip.

BTW, the controls those tip pages I've seen mentioned are actually detailed pretty heavily in the manual.

But I know we don't read those anymore. :3:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

titties posted:

Someone mentioned that you can move from cover point to cover point but I can't figure out how, pls help (pspoor, standard fps controls)

Point your stick towards the cover you want to go to and hit X on XBox or Square on PS4.

That's in the manual, too.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Advanced horse drifting. Almost multi track. My god.

That might not be a bug.

Manual says that at binding level 4 you can make your horse piaffe on the fly and drift while riding. Pat's horse there might've just decided to be fancy on their own.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

The game upgraded my deadeye so it no longer automatically targets enemies and I can't figure out how to use it for taking more than one shot anymore.

That means you can manually paint targets instead of it happening automatically with RB/R1.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Sulphagnist posted:

Man, the debt collections make me feel like a piece of poo poo.

At least I beat Wrobel up at night while his family was in bed unlike that other poster in the thread

Oh snap, I just thought he was alone since I did it at night, too. Also i didn't beat him up, i just kept threatening him until he gave up. It's what I did for all the Mark's. I did leave the gold wedding ring he was trying to hide, though.

My Arthur has been a somewhat benevolent Arthur, ha.

I see a lot of people complaining about looting bodies and I'm not really finding it an issue. But that might be because I just got done playing the first RDR game and it took a while there, too.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I know some people poopoo'd about not having inventory space but I do appreciate your saddlebags having infinite space for your weapons.

Finding out just picking up new weapons didn't replace your old ones was refreshing. Also just being able to get your hat back from it always.

Thank you, time/space warping saddlebags.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Tercio posted:

How do I transfer poo poo other than weapons to my horse? Or is that even possible?

Might depend on which poo poo you're talking about. Haven't messed with the clothing system that much but I think you can store at least two outfits on it? Besides that, items and weapons store automatically.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Wow wow wow, so replacing weapons just puts them in to your horses saddlebag? I haven't gone akimbo because I didn't want to lose my shotgun.

Yep, I picked up a double barreled shotgun that I had to replace my repeater with. When I checked my saddlebags oh hey there it is.

TMMadman posted:

Why didn't this game make the map easier to open? They've got this big map and I can't just automatically open it with a single button.

Why is the change camera button the biggest button on the controller? I honestly wish that changing cameras wasn't even a button. They could have used that button to autoopen the map.

There are just some really bizarre control choices made that just frustrate me.

Hold down the Start button. You're welcome! Also if you're deep in menus and don't want to keep hitting B/Circle to exit out of all of them? Just hold it down. That's defaulted to Exit.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2018

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

this game could have done with something that listed all the shortcut commands and stuff. like a small booklet that could be included in every copy with a bit of artwork too so you could pull it out at any time and read, a kind of manual, if you will.

Oh, you mean that thing that nobody ever looked at. They made nice origami, though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I am surprised just how much I like this camp of rogues and I actually enjoy most of them!

Now to see how Dutch fucks all this up.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

davebo posted:

Wait are you all saying there is a manual? All that came in my game case is a map.

It's digital. Grab the RDR2 Companion app. You can check out the manual there.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pk97utwfx5mdw6x/Red_Dead_Redemption_II_manual.pdf/file

Or this fancy pdf somebody made from it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Okay, I think the mission where you go drinking with Lenny after Micah gets captured may well be the funniest mission I’ve ever done in a rockstar game. Between picking a fight and having it immediately transition to everyone in the bar doing a can-can dance in a line, to getting so blitzed that literally everyone in the bar looks like Lenny, including the busty waitresses, to fleeing the cops and stumbling over a fence while shouting “I’M AN AMERICAN!” I could not stop laughing.

Arthur crashing face first into the wooden pillar *right* in front of him when trying to run from the cops was so funny I thought it was what was supposed to happen.

Finding out you could actually escape just made it better. I'm glad you can replay missions.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I was going through the massacre at Strawberry and was having a lot of trouble dual wielding pistols.

At some point one of my pistols disappeared and I was waving a sawed off shotgun and a pistol around. This happened in the middle of the fight. Wasn't my sawed off shotgun on the horse? My horse was nowhere nearby. And the pistol has disappeared entirely what happened did it break?

You might've picked up a fallen gun from the floor. LB is what does it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Doesn't that put it back on your horse? My gun was really gone.

Best gun so far is my customised double barrel shotgun with slug ammo. The game doesn't care about kick so you can just rattle off two shotgun blasts no problem and reload in like a second. I'd like a good rifle but so far they're all really slow.

It'll replace what you've currently got equipped I believe.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I'd like to talk a bit about just how drat good the sky looks. Rain started as was riding and the way the storm clouds rolled just looks *so* good.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Uh, those treasure maps? Those things are real good.

I managed to complete one and found 4 gold bars. Those thing sell at 500 bucks a pop.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I am seriously considering trading in my xbox one s for an x. Is it like I can just make a backup on an external drive, and then do an unbackup on the x?

Don't even have to unbackup. Just move your games to an external hard drive then hook that sucker up to the new system and you can play them as soon as you're logged in. S'what I did.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

uncle w benefits posted:

:psyduck:

Then what is the point of a bandanna? You can't change your clothes on the fly, and I'd recognize a horse faster than 1 out of 10 filth caked outdoor ruffians.

I get the game has been out for fewer than 60 hours, but nothing so far is at all intuitive, mostly frustrating, and all of my sidequests and non-main quest endeavors have been Janked to the max.

Yeah, you can. You can store up to 4 outfits besides your custom one on your horse through your wardrobe at camp or at a hotel room. You can swap on the fly from the Horse menu.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, and it's nice that the effect of all talismans stack no matter which one you have on.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Rockstar, you clever gents.

This game has cheat codes. They're in the in game newspapers you buy.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I love how the game doesnt show you how beautiful it looks until an hour in.

That snowy mountaintop was pretty as hell, good sir. :colbert:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

RatHat posted:

If your horse dies do you need to get another horse and then go back to transfer your items? Or do they transfer automatically?

If you go into a stable your saddlebag will be retrieved.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

I found the first serial killer thing early on which involved under railroad tracks and some writing. Was that supposed to trigger a mission or anything because it didn't for me

There was a head stuck in one of the track beams that had a map.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh, hey, so that *is* Rob Wiethoff playing John again. Neat.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

So if I find a named weapon, and then want to swap it for something else temporarily do I have to do anything special? I really don't understand how the armory or guns work in this game. I feel like the realism is a big pain in the dick when there are a ton of different weapons and they are all expensive as poo poo.

Just pick it up and get back to your horse. When you check your saddlebags your old weapon will still be there.

Oh, and thing I discovered. You can hitch to the ground by just holding Y/Triangle. Trees also can count as hitching points.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

DrNutt posted:

That's hilarious. I lost for the same reason, but then he challenged me to double or nothing to shoot four birds out of the sky and I lost that hard because I'm a free aim purist.

Dead Eye still counts in Free Aim. That's how I did it. Once they showed up I just clicked the stick, painted four birds and bam. Well, more like bambambambam but you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I'd like the guide but the app doesn't work on my phone and I guess there's no way to get it digitally aside from that

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pk97utwfx5mdw6x/Red_Dead_Redemption_II_manual.pdf/file