Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
+1 for terrible controls. I didn't have half as lovely a time in GTAV when it first came out on PS4, this is just some slow awful poo poo.

Incredible game so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The loving Braithwaite mansion mission oh my GOD :stare:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I finally found it -- I finally found something I hate about this game.

I hate that I can't shoot these loving stupid oval office children in the face in Saint Denis.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The only people who've remembered me so far have been random encounters I've either helped or hosed over out in the wild -- provided they survive whatever your encounter is, you'll usually see them again later.

The guy getting attacked by a wolf for example (this isn't really a spoiler, I've seen him 3 times now so it happens a lot). Give him some whiskey to dull the pain and he'll relax and succumb to the injury. Give him actual medicine and he'll live and you'll see him later. Take your pistol out and aim it and he'll beg you to shoot him and not let him die in the woods.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Babe Magnet posted:

You gotta let those events play out, they'll always find ways to hilariously murder the poo poo out of themselves, and then you can beat up the black robed guy to get a note that details his sad loving life. So far I've seen "idiots lights themselves on fire while trying to burn a cross" and "two idiots crushed to death while trying to put up a really big cross".

Best part of this if you read the meeting notes from their last meeting found on one of the bodies, one of the items of business says "look into flame retardant robe material?"

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I know this is said of Rockstar games for at least a few months after they release but it really is astounding the number of details in it that just floor you.

Was finishing up a mission outside St. Denis and noticed a big dark cloud and thought "that looks like a storm" and sure as poo poo it moved in, started with wind and some light rain and really got storming hard when the cloud was overhead. The entire atmosphere changes like it actually does if you're outside as a storm moves in. Big thunderclap and the power went out in the area I was in. I actually felt compelled to get inside.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Hand-to-hand fighting is fun as gently caress when you get good at it. I pick fights constantly now just to beat some rear end because it's such a hoot.

Oh also, all the people sad that there isn't a Nigel West Dickens in this, the man you want to meet is Charles Chaternay the painter. He's your new NWD.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Depends on if you're leading or following. If you're following someone you always have to hold X/A to keep following. If you're the driver/leader, cinematic mode drives for you.

edit: oh you mean custom waypoints, I dunno how those work.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I thought beating on Mr. Howard made me feel bad. Then the game had me beat up an actual mentally handicapped person.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I have lost the same mission-related duel NINE loving TIMES. How do people actually aim with loving controllers and think it's even a REMOTELY acceptable way of doing things? All I do is wave the god-damned cursor around!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've named all my horses after Greek figures in my black hat playthrough. My giant raven-black shire horse was named Erebus (after the god of the dark). Erebus lasted me into chapter three but died in an ambush from the Lemoyne Raiders, so any Raider I see now is hosed beyond hosed. My fastest horse is Minos, and my general horse to go hunting or working on is Hestia.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DogonCrook posted:

I tried this with one of the gunslingers on top of a train. I shot the first pistol out and he was like lol and pulled out another pistol and shot himself.

Spoiler for anyone disarming all the gunslinger side mission people, when you get to the very end, you cannot disarm the last duel. He will die no matter where you hit him. Don't be like me and waste 12 attempts trying.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
No you can, it doesn't matter either way. Like the previous posts mentioned one will just shoot at you in a normal fight with a backup gun, and one will just blow his own brains out with a backup gun after the duel. By disarming I meant "trying to do the whole thing disarming them."

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
If you don't enjoy the hunting or robbery you basically wasted $60. It's half the point of the game.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Endgame companion missions spoiler, but I think I feel the most bad for Leopold Strauss. Guy was just plying his particular outlaw trade and Arthur just removes him from the group unceremoniously. Dutch, Micah, Bill are all a thousand times worse, but his particular evil makes Arthur feel guilty so he excommunicates him? That's kind of bullshit.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I don't disagree at all, it was just an odd person to pick on at that specific time. My "enough is enough" moment would have been directed at very different people at this chapter, story-wise. This is by far not the worst thing the gang has done.

Pylons posted:

To be fair His particular brand of evil probably gave Arthur his tuberculosis, so it's hard to blame him for being pissed, even if unreasonably, at Strauss.

I must have seriously missed something because I don't remember that happening at all, even in passing. Was it Mr. Thomas? I don't even recall that being implied.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Holy poo poo I would pay a hundred dollars to remove bullet holes from my hat. There's one in the rear center that's been staring at me for hours worth of gameplay now and it's killing me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Section Z posted:

Dumb question but have you tried swapping outfits at your horse? It gets bloodstains out and even teleports lost (permanent unlock) hats back onto your head.

Now if only the game would stop removing my mask during plot triggers.

"Okay I've got a new outfit. A horse I have not used for a week. a mask. let's go-oh for gently caress's sake." Even when it's a mission where bounties don't matter because I'm plot wanted dead or alive already, it''s the principle of the matter of when it decides to leave me unmasked instead of magically popping the mask back into place after cutscene chat.

"The masked bandit rides again!-Aw darn it."

I did, I tried everything. Changing hat/outfit on horse, changing at wardrobe, buying a new one, everything just gets the exact same bullet hole transferred onto it. There's a lot of little inventory poo poo that doesn't quite work right. My hat sometimes gets changed to one that wasn't part of my outfit but also isn't Arthur's original one. The worst of all is the game putting two rifles on me when I dismount during missions that I never selected.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah I think you're right -- the shoulder weapon it gives me is always mission-appropriate, but the bottom one is ALWAYS the pump shotgun. I've never even fired the pump shotgun, stop giving it to me!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
There's a much, much simpler way to do that.

Go to the sheriff's office, open the lockbox, DON'T TAKE anything, run out of the building and out of the burned town (at least to near the road), then run back to the lockbox. The pamphlet will have disappeared. The gold bar stays there and you can just sit and hold the take button for as long as you want. No menu/save stuff required.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Doc M posted:

Alright, the mission in Chapter 6 where (minor objective spoilers) you need to retrieve the sacred items from the army campsite without the soldiers noticing. Just... how in the goddamn hell am I supposed to stealth my way through the camp without anyone getting alerted? I'm gonna assume there's no real penalty for having to gun down all those idiots aside from maybe Rains Fall yelling at you for your incompetence, but I'd like to do this properly and it's just not happening because one of those jerks always spots me when I'm doing a stealth knockout or something.

I'd like to know this too since that's the only way to get gold for it, AND there's a time limit. I was only able to distract one or two but not the main group.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nolgthorn posted:

Should I wait until christmas to upgrade to xbox one x

I've played about 50 hours on a standard PS4 and maybe 5 hours on a One X and the One X is vastly, vastly better. Don't know what you're upgrading from but I would do it if you can reasonably afford to.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So uh I finally got held up the the woman pretending to be hurt and I went to press triangle to "surrender" but accidentally let go of L2 first, and Arthur just yanked her up in the air by the loving throat the second she got done saying "hands up." Most satisfying happy accident ever.

Then one of her idiot friends shot her trying to hit me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

JBP posted:

Sadie owns.

I haven't beat the game yet but if you don't get to play the rest of free-roam after the ending as Sadie, I'm gonna be real disappointed.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Honestly if you don't like chapter 5, or the epilogue, or the hell even the prologue, I kind of feel bad for you. This is a very beefy story-telling game and if you don't want to have to walk slow or listen to dialogue or ride a horse for a while on a trip then maybe you expected something different, but I got exactly what I wanted. Maybe it's from being raised on westerns for 30 years but this is the best game I think I've ever played. It has its faults yeah of course, but the stuff everyone hates on is just so enjoyable if you just slow the gently caress down and take it in.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
For those who have beat the game, here's a question about the epilogue: Does your Marston look similar to how you had Arthur's appearance? I'm wondering if Marston's appearance is set for the prologue or if he's meant to be emulating Arthur out of admiration, because mine has the same beard and short hair combo. If that's really a thing, it's pretty neat.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Ainsley McTree posted:

You're meant to press the r2 button lightly, not all the way down, to start filling the meter, and then when you’re ready to shoot, press it all the way, and you’ll get slow motion in the amount of how long you held the button lightly for.

This, just lightly squeeze R2 until full(ish) then fully squeeze it.

Which is loving stupid because it's R2 to fire, so you have to let go of it and squeeze it again to shoot. Who came up with this system?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah squeezing R2 all the way down activates deadeye whenever you want, even if the meter is partially full. Useful for if the other guy is already pulling down on you. If you don't squeeze it all the way in, the game activates it eventually for you at a certain point which is probably why you're not having to squeeze all the way in. I just want to draw sooner and don't wait for the full circle to fill.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Hats are weird in the game. I don't know what counts as a "found" or "stolen" hat because I've found and stolen plenty of hats and only one has ever saved. I think you need to go to sleep with it on or something? Or go back to camp with it?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Hub Cat posted:

It only saves certain hats. There was a random tooltip for 2 seconds one time that says it saves hats that are flashing white when you pick them up.

Oh right on, thanks -- now I can actually pay attention and grab ones I want.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

When I dueled Billy Midnight I shot his gun out of his hand, thinking that it might give me a chance to press him for more information. He pulled out another gun, laughed at me, then shot himself. LMAO

Even with all of the depth this game has, I don't think we're going to see the full depth of things until people have had time to do multiple playthroughs because there are so many different ways for things to play out.

That's the only way it can go. You can't get those to go a different way no matter how hard you try.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It sure sounds like most people just straight up shot him. It's the same outcome long term but it's a really cool detail that's missable and I'm sure there are thousands more like that.

Oh no I mean whether you straight-up shoot them or don't, the outcome is the same. They'll just kill themselves or lock you in combat until you shoot them outside the duel. There's no not killing them.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah I just spent 20 minutes figuring this out :suicide:

The worst part is the last one, the culmination of the entire thing. I spent probably twelve attempts trying to disarm that fast-rear end motherfucker and getting shot in the face, and when I FINALLY hit his hand, he's just critically-wounded in the following cutscene and dies because that's how the story goes. Really annoying.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I swear to God the horses have some kind of tree/rock magnetism coded into them. Once you get within a certain distance of a tree at anything more than a gallop the loving analog stick just stops working no matter how much you push right or left.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Friendly Fire posted:

Holy poo poo, number 37.

Set your default weapon wheel at the gunsmith.

That's a loving game changer.

Yeah it's very convenient, but it sucks there's nothing to empty the slot. I don't want both the guns I select put on me all the time, only when I want them.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah I want a way to not have it defaulted on me so I don't have to do that at the horse. It starts you into some missions with your default weapons (and sometimes a mission-specific one) on your back and a cutscene or the missions prevents you from getting to your horse right away. It's loving up my screenshots to have 14 shotguns hanging off me.

The real game-changer in that video for me in number 3, tapping R3 twice to quickly turn deadeye on and off again after the last bullet in a gun instantly reloads it. That's going to be insanely helpful.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does the law figure out who I am when I do crimes? I did my first solo train robbery last night, put my mask on up the tracks as the train left the station, took the cab and parked it on a bridge. I was alone in one of the storage carriages and the indicate starts saying they are looking for Arthur.

Basically if any lawman sees your face or gets within range of you with a mask on, you're identified. And the range is stupidly large.

I shot a stranger who pulled his gun on me during a robbery and a carriage maybe 20 feet away just happened to have two lawmen on it out of sheer bad luck, so I immediately shot both of them from where I was. The second I shot the first one, I had a bounty because the second one saw it happen. Shot him a half second later, but it didn't matter. He "saw" Arthur therefore the entire loving county knew it happened somehow.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Chapter 4 Reverend Swanson spoilers:

The loving swamp ghost he sees is real. You can see it late at night in the swamps and it's terrifying.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DogonCrook posted:

Oh man split bullets you have to press x and watch an animation for each loving bullet..

Ive got like 2000 goddamned bullets. In game time this would probably take a week because lol when it comes to tedious poo poo it has to be real life but the day is like 30 mins long and you have to eat 10 meals or you lose weight.

I read way earlier in either this thread or Reddit about how split bullets cost nothing and were way better than normal bullets so I thought "oh cool I'll make those" and saw the 1 animation = 1 bullet thing and immediately stopped. gently caress that, they ain't that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Uh so I just got a neat new ornate dagger from a loving NOSFERATU vampire in Saint Denis :stare: