Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Clapping Larry

I'm getting ready to start RDR2. I loved RDR's story and exploring, didn't like scripted quests that were fussy and drawn-out, or getting chased by posses and mountain lions.

Any tips for getting off on the right foot with RDR2? I'm not in any rush to get through the content and am happy to take my time and get myself situated for later challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

The last time I took advice from a dog things did not go well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I feel both blessed and cursed that fishing is a part of almost every game ever made.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

What the gently caress is this VRAM cap bullshit? I spent about 30 minutes watching a video about optimizing video settings and when I load the game it decides that I don't have enough VRAM to do what I want.

Took a whole lot of fussing to finally get it to the point where it would save my goddamn settings, and the benchmark gave me a minimum fps of 38 so I guess tomorrow I can get started, but that annoyed the crap out of me. Never had a game just say "gently caress you I won't save your settings" before.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

John Marston!

This game looks good, but I'd forgotten how much trouble I'd had last time with the plethora of buttons. And also shooting pretty much anything.

EDIT:

1. Game is gorgeous
2. The scripted sequences are relentless. 40 goddamn minutes before I got a chance to save and exit. That is some bullshit.
3. Horse petting simulator!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 11, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I went on the bear hunting mission with Hosea and this game is so good looking it's ridiculous. Even though my marksmanship is terrible I decided to just wander and hunt, and got a turkey and a deer. I'm donating stuff at the camp but there's no indicator if it's accomplishing anything.

I was looking for non story quest markers but maybe this early in the game they're all yellow until all the basics are introduced.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I should've been clearer:

1. How do you tell that your donations are helping? Should I be saving any of this stuff for myself?
2. I thought that there were supposed to be side missions at the camp, and perhaps there will be. I have already seen them out in the world, just like RDR.

EDIT: Got attacked by my first mountain lion.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 12, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Yeah I don't feel any pressure. I saw that Hosea wanted something but Dutch called me over to help someone else. Turns out that fellow needs work done in the same area so I'm taking a long, slow ride out to Emerald Ranch. I'm enjoying the beautiful scenery, other than seeing some poor dude who took a fatal kick from his horse.

I didn't loot him.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Holy poo poo Richard Boone out of nowhere!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

NICO MY COUSIN

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I just went through one of those Rockstar scripted sequences that made me want to throw my controller out the window. I was collecting a debt and the dude jumped on a horse. Since it's a Rockstar game the horse had a rocket up its rear end, so I chased after it as best I could and tried to lasso him.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to throw the lasso. I thought it would be like a gun: select, aim, pull the right trigger. It was hard enough just trying to aim at the horse without falling behind. At one point I managed to get Arthur to swing the lasso, but not throw the goddamn thing.

After chasing that bastard across Hell and Christendom and dosing my horse with tonic I finally managed to throw the lasso successfully.

I hogtied the debtor, looted his treasure map and despite trying to play this game as a decent person shot the son of a bitch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Look I just want to pat my horse, ride around and occasionally down a cold can of beans.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I was taking the long ride to Emerald Ranch to see what Hosea wanted and came across a woman pinned under a dead horse. I gave her a ride back to Valentine, and while there took a look at a bounty poster. Wasn't interested in pursuing it, so I rode to Emerald Ranch and realized that bounty missions automatically take precedence, and if you abandon it you get sent all the way back to Valentine.

EDIT: I also found a strange armored door in the back of the pharmacy. I pulled my mask up and was going to try sticking up whomever was inside but the game wouldn't let me draw a weapon and I couldn't open the door.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 15, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Face full of bloody sputum from some dude with TB

EDIT: Did not expect to run into a paleontologist.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

One thing I don't understand is that if someone picks a fistfight with me, and I win, a goober always tries to report me to the law. Happened in Valentine when some shitbird walked up to me and told me to piss off, and I didn't. Just now I was rescuing the preacher and laid his attacker out after the dude punched me in the face, and a yokel goes running for the sheriff. I dashed after him and accidentally ran right off of a cliff that was almost high enough to kill me. Wound up shooting the witness because he just about got me killed.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 16, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I was creeping around a farm in the dark looking for a man who needed to repay a debt. His house was locked. At one point a dog came up to me and then started walking toward the tree line and I thought "AHA this dog is going to lead me to the owner nice job Rockstar" so I followed the dog for a few minutes until it stopped to take a crap and I realized that I was wrong.

I headed for the barn trying to be all sneaky, past the sleeping goats and pigs. Pushed open a gate and crept along the back wall to make a surprise entrance.

Then I heard some sort of low, animal growl and rumbling and BAM a bull smashed into me, flinging me through the doors. I ran straight out through the other set of doors, but the bull did not pursue me.

Then I noticed that the farmer had been out in the open the whole time, working on his vegetable patch by lamplight.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I finished a mission fighting the enemy gang. At the very end one of my crew shot a hidden enemy. After the cinematic was over I looted that dude and immediately got a warning that I had committed a crime.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Just went into town and got drunk with Lenny. I have vertigo so sequences like that are a misery.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

There was just enough vomiting and pissing to meet my high gaming standards.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

How do I get items crafted when I don't have a place to store pelts, etc.?

Also: the menus for the trapper, Pearson, etc. are hot garbage because there's no way to know that you have the parts to craft something unless you drill all the way down to the specific item. Without an in-game way to create an ongoing list of needed items I can't see myself bothering with any of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I survived a tough mission in Strawberry, and when I got back to camp I decided that I should finally take the time to review my inventory before going on any further adventures. I noticed that I had several consumables that mentioned boosting XP, so one by one I ate/drank them, and sure enough I gained improvements in various areas. The last was a bottle of rum that left the screen blurry.

Encouraged I kept digging through my satchel and noticed that several herbs I'd collected had no details available. I wondered if like in Skyrim eating them might reveal the effects, so I ate some oregano and it worked! I quickly ate my way through the unknown herbs, like sage and indian tobacco.

And then Arthur leaned over and barfed, bringing an end to my experimentation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

When I was in Strawberry I saw someone fishing so I thought it was my big chance to learn how, but no. I wandered off and saw that there was a doctor's office, thinking I might be able to get an exam before my health takes a turn for the worse, but it was closed, with a "Gone Fishing" sign in the window.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Despite my poor marksmanship I decided to go on an adventure to bag the Legendary Buck because I'd heard that the trinket is most useful if you get it early in the game.

It was a long ride, and at first I couldn't pick up the clues. So I wandered around with my horse walking behind me. Stumbled into a gang camp and took it out. Killed a few varmints.

Eventually I found the clues, and saw what might have been the buck. I had a handful of slugs so I loaded them into the shotgun, and after the initial shot, chasing it on foot and a few more rounds I got it!

On the way to the closest trapper I got jumped by a puma that was harassing a bear, fell off my horse but managed to survive and finally wrapped up the adventure with a journey to the fence to get my trinket.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Tried to grab the oil wagon from that petroleum camp and that was most unpleasant. Going to see if there's an easier place somewhere else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Although I've read only negative comments about online mode I thought I'd jump in for a quick look. Did not expect it to have a story, and the character creation process was quite entertaining. Looks complicated so I'm going to leave it alone until I finish the normal mode.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I played a little more online mode, and my first visit to Saint Denis... well I've never seen anything like it. And right now I'm walking around the town at night in the rain and it's just amazing. I don't know how else to describe it.

EDIT: I just rode from St. Denis to Blackwater in the rain. It was a loooong ride, and the rain was heavy at times. The lighting and sound throughout was incredible.

EDIT 2: I was looking at roles and I see that each one costs 15 gold to get started. Is that hard to come by?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 22, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

My quests have sent me far west to talk to some lawmen and I had my first cooperative mission with a much higher and much more grizzled looking player. Takes me a lot of shots to bring down most enemies and I'm burning through my ammo.

I checked out the daily challenges and most appeared to be inaccessible to me right now (Ex: multiple fishing challenges) but there was one for using tobacco so I bought a couple of packs of cigarettes and smoked myself blind. I also emptied my stamina core and found that you can't just camp somewhere and sleep it off. Whoops!

I remain constantly in awe at how beautiful this game is.

And you can still pet dogs and horses in this mode!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

This morning I realized that my character has a camera, and spent a long time annoying the residents of St. Denis. I love antique photos and tried to turn one of my shots into a passable fake.

EDIT:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 23, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I've been completing at least two challenges each day, and they've been pretty easy. Pet dogs, smoke cigarettes, ride the St. Denis tram for about 20 minutes... I will stay with it until I can get enough money for my first role. Looking forward to that.

I think I'm nearing the end of the story, but have been enjoying wandering around doing whatever. I learned how to use spices when I cook! I've run a few missions, most of which ended pretty badly when other players got involved, but there were still rewards.

All in all Online has been a good experience that I think I prefer to the main game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I'd noticed the tracks but hadn't seen a tram, so when I heard the bell I ran around until I found it and hopped on, and noticed that it was registering for a daily challenge to ride 10,000... miles? on a train. So I stayed on it while I played with the in-game camera, and eventually I finished the challenge.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

Although I'm enjoying Online it's really slow going on the gold front. I'm at L14 with about $5.50 in gold, and that's with doing at least one challenge each day, free roam events when they pop up, stranger and story missions...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

SplitSoul posted:

You can reset the challenges up to 10 times for 0.4 gold each, by the way. It's slow going, but selling herbs is probably the easiest for this. You should also get a treasure map every fifth level, usually it'll have at least 1 gold in addition to however many dollars.

And you can rake in levels by using the collector's map to sell sets of items. It gives a ton of XP and mountains of cash.

Edit: Also, remember you don't have to find Nazar to sell the sets, they can be mailed from any post office.

I can only complete one or two challenges each day because most require combat skill which I will never have. I've only received one treasure map after the tutorial one, so not sure why I didn't get the others, but I'll keep a look out for the NPCs that provide them.

I collect lots of herbs but didn't realize I could sell them. What vendor buys herbs, because the butcher and fence don't seem to.

VVVVVV EDIT: Much like in real life I have not gone to the doctor. Thank you for the info!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 26, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I was stoked to find out about using spices with cooking, and have been well-stocked with buff foods ever since. I like collecting herbs so I'm going to unload what I have and see if it's lucrative enough.

I've noticed challenge messages popping up now and then, like "Collected 50 herbs." I will dig to see where those are listed.

I would love to buy better weapons and some clothes but goddamn everything costs a shitload of money, and the catalog is poorly organized and unfilterable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I saw an offer from Rockstar if you linked your account with Twitch Prime you'd get goodies including $1k of in game money and discounts on a few items. I don't have Twitch Prime but there was a free 30 day trial so I activated that, and then linked accounts and now I'm collecting the benefits.

Even $1k will go quickly so I will probably just save it all, but if I can activate the Trader role before my trial expires I can get a bunch of free role XP.

EDIT: Got a pump shotgun for $160!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 26, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I watched a two part YouTube video about graphics settings, and this is what I've been using on my "old" system with good results. (i7-4790K, GTX 970, 8 gigs of RAM)

STANDARD

Texture quality: ULTRA
Anisotropic filtering: 16
Lighting quality: MEDIUM
Global illumination: HIGH
Shadow quality: HIGH
Far shadow quality: HIGH
SSAO: ULTRA
Reflection quality: MEDIUM
Mirror quality: ULTRA
Water quality: MEDIUM
Volumetrics: MEDIUM
Particle quality: ULTRA
Tesselation quality: ULTRA
TAA temporal anti aliasing: MEDIUM
FXAA: OFF
MSAA: OFF

ADVANCED
Near volumetric resolution: LOW
Far volumetric resolution: MED
Volumetric lighting quality: HIGH
Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: OFF on older hardware
Particle lighting quality: MED
Soft shadows: HIGH
Grass shadows: MED
Long shadows: ON
Full resolution SS ambient occ: OFF
Water refraction: MED
Water reflections: HIGH
Water physics: HALF
TAA sharpening: FULL
Motion blur: OFF
Reflection MSAA: X2
Geometry LOD: 3 out 5 bars
Grass LOD: 4 out of 10
Tree quality: HIGH
Parllax occlusion mapping quality: ULTRA
Decal quality: ULTRA
Fur quality: HIGH

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I took a very long ride out to Madam Nazar under the misconception that the collector bag cost $10. Whoops. Still $4 short.

Thanks to the Switch Prime deal the table for Trader only costs $10. Would it be a bad idea to get that and work my way back up for the collector bag?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I've been keeping up with the challenges so I'll tough it out until I get that $15! I just want to get a role started to add a bit of flavor to things, but overall am still enjoying myself. This game is so huge and beautiful.

EDIT: A bit confused by PvP. I was accidentally in Offensive mode and someone killed me. I respawned, switched to Defensive and a few minutes later ran into that same player who was still bright red. I killed him, and got a hostility penalty and now I was bright red. Other people started hunting me. I wound up on foot, at night, in the fog, watching a bright red dot tracking me down. Somehow I got the drop on them and killed them, and got a murder notice.

So now I'm bright red and no matter where I go another bright red person is on me in no time, and if I defend myself my hostility stays pegged. I thought that bright red people were fair game.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 29, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I logged back in and tried to do some activities that might reduce my hostility level. I petted, brushed and fed my horse. I picked herbs. I hunted some birds. I kept an eye out for player dots on the radar.

I got pounced on by someone who instead of shooting me roped me, I broke out, got tackled and roped again, and he was standing there with what looked like a molotov cocktail. I broke free and he blew me up.

I respawned, and rode away from the local roads but got shot at long distance by another vigilante and dragged by my horse.

I respawned, went up to the top of a bluff, spent more time taking care of my horse and picking herbs and got a notice that I hard been targeted for assassination, so I logged off.

EDIT: I respawned without my hat this is BULLSHIT

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 29, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

I managed to get to a quiet part of the map away from roads and my hostility finally dropped to Medium and I could re-enable Defensive mode. I celebrated by trying out my new fishing pole and snatching a couple of perch from a stream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Clapping Larry

This morning I chose to start at my camp, but when I arrived it looked different than what I expected. There were features I don't have yet, like a fast travel point, and I couldn't interact with anything. My camp was actually pretty far away from where I was. Is that normal?

P.S. There's a catalog sale today and gun oil is free!