Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's causing the bottleneck inside the PS4 hardware that an external drive going through USB is faster than internet going through SATA? I also thought you couldn't play games through external drives. I'll have to see if my game loads up that slow, I don't remember it being that slow at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never once was able to successfully cheat at cards. Never. I just couldn't understand what the game wanted me to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, I didn't even know Edge was still around. That magazine any good? I haven't read their site in ages.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

I mean when i insert myself into everyones business intent on solving all their problems with a gun i expect nothing but good outcomes personally.

This would actually be a good message if you had any other choice than to solve it with a gun. Rockstar, which is the say the Hausers, don't actually give a poo poo about telling stories about these kinds of people. They're just instruments to used to beat you over the head trying to get some sort of point across.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

So they didnt give you a choice whats your point? The lesson wouldnt be learnt if the outcome was rosy would it? Its a story thats how it works.

That kind of story works exactly once and the game was filled with them. Once that happens and you realize you used your gun to solve that problem and it didn't go well, you'd try not to use a gun in the future. But since the game doesn't allow for that freedom to apply that lesson, then that point is lost.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Qubee posted:

as a normal player, and someone who probably makes up the 70% demographic of players who will buy and play this game: I have no idea what all those separate guns are, and four revolvers is enough for me. I'm as normie as they come. sucks for people like you who have knowledge on the time period, but most people probably won't look twice at the selection of revolvers and be upset by it, especially since there's 4 and a poo poo tonne of other weapons.

It's mainly just how they reload. Everyone loves to reload their revolvers. Some may even pop a chubby while doing so, especially if it's the Cattleman and has Ocelot as a codename.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

rap music posted:

i wonder if those comparison vids had supersampling turned on for the ps4 pro

This was brought up in the Digital Foundry video. They think it's the checkerboard rendering that's mucking things up. Seems like it's not very well implemented since every other major game that uses it makes the image super sharp. Having played Horizon Zero Dawn on both a base and Pro, the image is incredibly sharp on the Pro.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As long as I can get a close facsimile of Douglas Mortimer or Angel Eyes I'm golden. Lee Van Cleef is such an underrated western star.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

Rockstar is quite rightly afraid of the millennial pc trend because they've spend an inordinate amount of money producing their games and it would be a shame for a dog pile to occur over something so stupid as political correctness. We're talking about thousands of people's jobs. They've spoken fairly openly about it. I wouldn't see a lot to be gained from an extended Wolfenstein 2-style KKK massacre sequence.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/artic...ion-2-interview

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/g...-/1100-6462752/

That's just chicken poo poo centrist stances right there. Hausers put up a veneer of "we're make fun of EVERYONE" but more often than not they punch down. Trump's America makes it harder to punch down because they marginalized groups have no or little representation and many are on the brink of losing protections that give them the rights to exist. So they'd have to, goodness forbid, start punching up at worthless Republicans who hate everyone not white, rich and male, neo-nazi nationalists, corporate scumbags and other parasites bleeding society by influencing policy to take more and more from those who barely have enough.

They're simply far-right drifters who passively enable the horrible poo poo going on without challenging it with argument or humor. And no, those strawmen tumblr ULTRA PC POLICE aren't the same as white nationalists marching in the street chanting nazi rhetoric, advocating violence against minorities and beating up/murdering counter-protestors.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they punch republicans a loving ton in the GTA games, its just they are also really easy targets. also this isn't resetera.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a the bastard child of Neogaf when popped out when it died. basically they are super liberal/progressive internet types who get angry and poo poo quick, outside of that, its an alright site.

Goodness forbid people point out problematic and outright bad things in a game or attitude the lead writers/owners of a video game company have. Must be pretty swell having the privilege to be apathetic towards these sort of things.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh gently caress off. don't bitch to me about apathy because a i dont cares about Houser's bullshit writings because he makes some lovely jokes in a video game in the real world while the current crop of GOP ghouls actually gently caress over minorities of every stripe and some loving MAGAChud is trying to be Ted Kaczynski and the president blames everyone but himself. thats the real scary poo poo. not some lovely cynical writings by a liberterian clown in a crime game.

You were outright dismissing criticisms from people who take these things seriously as being the very thing right-wing chuds online complain about (ultra PC police, ect.). Art does not exist in a vacuum and it can normalize bad behavior. Calling something problematic isn't the same as calling it bad or the people liking it bad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

“Everything should be run through a minimum four step filter process lens of comprehensive criticism review except for the review itself. Only chuds would dare speak ill of the review.”

There are dozens of reviews out there of all kinds of flavors - from buyer guide list of features and criticisms of them to more academic ones. What are you even complaining about? Just look them up and find one that suits you best.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve pretty much avoided Red Dead spoilers completely. Has there been any indication how connected to to Red Dead Redemption the game is? I know it’s a prequel and you’re with Dutch’s gang for a bit of it, but do you spend the whole time with his gang? Is it like super intertwined with the previous game?

I hate prequels with a burning passion so I hope the story is separate enough to sell me on the game.

Seems like you spend the entire game with the gang. John Marston, protagonist of the first game, is even there and you and interact with him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if they explain away why the protag of this game isn’t in the previous game. If it is another “lol he dies at the end” then that is lame as poo poo.

I think the only members that get mentioned in the first game are Dutch, Bill Williamson and Javier Escuella. So there was a lot they could work with.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Prequels are loving lame.

Always.

No exceptions.

Anything that is a prequel would be better if it wasn’t a prequel.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a good prequel!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like there is something that happened in the last 30 or so years that made all prequels have to be overly referential pieces of garbage.

I hear you. This game may be more like Tenchu 2 than the Star Wars Prequels, from what I've read on it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Starks posted:

How long will it take between popping the game into my inferior base PS4 and actually playing?

Apparently about 45-minutes to a hour.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I made it to Saint Denis while exploring and it's the worst thing in this game. I sure gently caress hope that nothing story-related takes place in this hellscape.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What effect do the spurs have on the horse? Do I want a higher or lower %? The way it's worded is really weird and it sounds like it'd lose core faster rather than it go down slower, but I honestly can't tell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are robberies even remotely worth it? I robbed the doctor in Valentine and all there was in that room was a safe I couldn't quietly open that contained 20 dollars, a bunch of other junk and a 120 dollar bounty. It's a wonder how more outlaws are millionaires with marks like these.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

I've been a stage coach bandit for the last couple hours of game play and it just loving owns. It just kicks major rear end. Folks, it's good. The game gets much better when you get a faster horse btw. Makes journeys that seem incredibly long on the map really only take a couple minutes. I love how well I'm getting to know the terrain just by revisiting it.

I had a couple of bad moments, both centered around the bounty system which is a sour spot in an otherwise incredibly bright game.

Any tips on someone who's trash at stagecoach robbery? I prefer to do a robbery that doesn't involve murder.

Oh and don't ever bother stealing the oil coaches thinking you'd sell them for big profits. The guy won't even take them. I didn't try parking them on the tracks to stop a train, though. I should have tried that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish they'd patch in that fun feature Assassin's Creed Origins had (maybe Odyssey too) where you could lock the horse on to a road and it'd just run along it automatically and if you pressed a button it'd run to a manually set waypoint. That made enjoying the scenery so much better.

Or is that what cinematic mode does? I haven't really used that outside when the game prompts it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Arthur blowing up a pile of pig poo poo because of petty goading says otherwise.

An appropriate response. That guy was a shmuck. He deserved his poo poo shower.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone tell me what constitutes something your horse will jump over? I can be going full sprint and the dumb animal won't jump over a half foot rock and will just trip over it. Do you have to be utterly pixel perfectly lined up with it or something?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Man that Mary Beth conversation everyone's already talked about kind of sucks. I haven't been killing animals needlessly. I've hunted a bit to keep our camp supplied with food and pelts for gently caress's sake. And I haven't even done that much hunting.

It's kind of like the Michael therapist sessions. Arthur kind of talks about all the "bad" poo poo he did. But like you said, if you hunt a lot to keep the camp fed and to make nice things for it, the game doesn't account for context. So it's like he just went out in the while and murdered little woodland creatures for the hell of it. That part of the game, while neat, just doesn't work for that reason.

Do satchel effects stack or do I have to pick and choose?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dutch is motivated by making more and more money and is the sole holder of the 50% cut. He's bourgeois and everyone else in the gang is proletariat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some of the stranger missions are really clever. I won't get into spoilers but the way they fold out really re-contextualizes the people who them to you and it's refreshing to see Rockstar punching up in these things rather than mocking them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone find Millesani Claim? Does the message in that mine shaft have any significance? Place was creepy as hell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Panther hunting sucks poo poo. The game needs more recipes that require perfect pelts from ultra rare animals, Rockstar.

Make sure you have no less than ten million raspberries and fish meat so you can spam those potent lures.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish you could toggle the scope on the Rollingblock rifle like you can with every other weapon you put a scope on.

This game feels like it was designed by 5000 people over the course of 8 years and when they quit, the burned all their design documents and the designer after had to guesswork their choices. All the small little things are so utterly inconsistent.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 31, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way of turning off putting your weapons away automatically while on horseback? If I equip weapons, I want them to stay equipped. So when I get waylaid by a say, cougar, I can shoot it in the face with the rifle I had equipped for a clean kill instead of fanning my handgun, ruining it utterly.

It's probably one of the stupidest aspects of this game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How long do wildlife tend to take to repop? I'm one cougar pelt away from the last satchel but these things are more elusive than the panthers were.

Also anyone else find other knives but they disappeared on them? I found this neat knife in the corpse of a bear but after skinning something the thing disappeared from my inventory. I can select the pirate cutlass I found but not that new knife.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's pretty clear that they designed that city for a game that didn't have a nightmare control scheme created by an alien who has no concept of user interfaces. They somehow managed to make the quick-wheel, something that came up for quick access to items, a major piece of garbage.

Edit:

For example: Want to restore some dead eye? Go into your wheel and hit L2 or R2 dozens of times to find what you need. Do you want to restore the outer? Reinforce the outer? Reinforce the core? Restore the core? Reinforce the outer but hurt the core? Reinforce the core but hurt the outer? Restore the outer but hurt the core? Now add a bunch of variants to that and it's ridiculous. Rockstar should probably pull their head from their rear end and cut back on all the bullshit. Maybe not burn out their talent with 100 hour work weeks by having so much poo poo.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 1, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

All I want is a smart looking black jacket/coat so I can look like your typical western black hat. The clothing options are oddly infuriating. It's like Rockstar went through every famous western outfit and left out one important piece of clothing on purpose.

Why give it for free when you can buy yourself a 500,000 dollar shark card and buy it for that much in-game?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Calaveron posted:

You can make Arthur look pretty much exactly like Angel Eyes

I'm trying to go for the Mortimer look from A Few Dollars More. Rather be a dapper bounty killer than a straight killer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it just me or does poker like to skew towards giving you garbage? In the first game you at least got hands, even if they were pairs of 2s or whatever. I've played 20 hands of poker and every pair I've gotten were because they were in the community pool. I've gotten straights but that was like my 15th hand in.

Edit: They feel like vegas machine poker odds, to be honest. And I don't think that is any coincidence. I bet there will be higher stakes poker online and that's where people are going to be sinking their shark card money in to.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 1, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone get a bug where they couldn't put different ammo types in their guns? I use schofields a whole lot but now I can only use normal ammo for them. These are the same guns I've been using the entire time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nothing makes me laugh more than a bird flying into me or my horse as I ride by and it falling down dead. It's such a loony toons nonsense thing

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arthur with the big hearty "YES!" when he wins big at poker is just fantastic. He's so freaking pumped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BobKnob posted:

I had the encounter with the O'Driscols vs. Father and two sons. I helped kill those O'Driscol bastards, but nothing really happened afterward. They mostly bitched about building a house being a dumb idea and I could only antagonize them and that didn't do anything either. I thought they had some kind of wood fetch mission or something.

Keep going back there every once in a while.