Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Coming back to this and its nice to see online has lots more now.

I'm starting out with trading but it seems really hard to keep materials up. Even dropping off good or perfect carcasses won't keep production from halting for long.

Am I missing something or do I just need to setup camp somewhere nice and grind for a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks everyone

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I started a permanent posse way back but have done nothing with it. My gta friends didnt make the jump. Are there benefits to it at all?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I swap between trading, bountys and collecting. They all pay pretty well and the higher difficulty bounties are great fun. I'll join random posses and do whatever. There are some fun shenanigans to be had in free roam.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

5 mins is pretty good lol I usually get one or two complete non starters before it decides to give me a stable session.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Squirrel Burger posted:

a friendly "tip of the hat" and "yee-haw" to all the pardners out there who let me ride on the back of their horses to faraway bounties, giving me the necessary bandwidth to hit this blunt

:same:
it really pisses off some people tho

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yes you can play in defensive mode which will leave you free to do whatever, other players cannot target you. This isn't nearly as adversarial as GTA though. Imo youd lose something playing defensive 100% of the time.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Wheezle posted:

Not sure I understand them purpose of this. GTAO has always had private sessions.

RDO on the other hand would benefit greatly.

In a private session lots of activities are not available but in a 'normal' one that you have to yourself you can run things solo. Sales mostly.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

My go to weapon for those players who insist on killing me is the pump action shotgun. Cheap, deadly. Sometimes takes care of their horse too.

When its me insisting on killing I try to involve the lasso as much as possible. When it works it really works!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Does that mean no unique missions if you are honorable?

No it just means you have to be a goody goody for some of them and a right bastard for the others. There is a dude you can pay to change your rep as needed. Its hard to keep dishonourable actually. Almost eveything you do gets you positive honour, even feeding your horse.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

This week's legendary bounty is another one that did nothing wrong and should be a quest giver.

Which day of the week does that reset?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Typically Tuesday, but for some reason the new one is today.

Thanks I did the cool drug one at 5 star difficulty but I really couldn't be bothered with that politician and his deeds more than once. Hopefully this weeks is more fun.

webmeister posted:

Supposedly animal pelts get insta-skinned if you park your horse on top of the carcass, but I haven't tested it personally since the world apparently revolves around NYC time :rolleyes:

Sometimes yeah but I cant do it consistently.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

If you do collector and follow the map you can just go into scenic mode and let your horse take you wherever. Jump off, find the thing, set next waypoint, roll another J while en route.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Do certain foods encourage more horse farts/poop? Did even MGSV do that?
I just feed mine hay all the time and he seems uh regular i guess?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

After playing briefly this morning, I think bird hunting is going to be a lot harder on PC. Those fuckers can be small, and the auto lock on kind of made it trivial.

Feathers are super useful/valuable too so that kinda sucks. You can probably still use dead eye to tag and drop whole flocks though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I’m hoping the improved resolution and detail will make it easier to tag song birds before they are able to take off.

They sure do love those ground nests. I've probably stomped more of them than I've shot lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Trying to play online on PC, and it feels like no one bought the PC version, but it probably isn't that at all; it's just that hardly anyone can actually play it. I have yet to get a competitive match that was full.

Red Dead Online with faster load times, and 60fps is incredibly nice, but I am wondering myself if it was worth double dipping on this.

Online isnt the wasteland it was but it still struggles to keep me coming back. The bounty/trading/collector things are profitable but get boring. I definitely have more fun when I'm im the mood to make my own fun and don't get hung up on the money grind.

It took GTAO a long time to become the weird thing is it today, I'm sure RDRO will get there eventually. The original RDRO was really engaging, but that took ages to get good too.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I said come in! posted:

RDR1 Online is still a superior game, I wish we could get that with RDR2 graphics.

Agreed. The co-op missions were awesome fun. I miss my bull and zebra and apocalypse horsey.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Your even had a 'poo poo talk' button! Gestures are lame.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Orv posted:

The contextual and dynamic depth to the melee in this game is loving insane.

I had a guy just randomly grab me from behind and hold a gun to my head in Valentine's inn (player) and when the break out timer finished I swapped to my knife and left clicked expecting to have some kind of lengthy back and forth GTAV bullshit but I just drove it into his palate and dropped him before his friend shotgunned me. Another time I bulled a guy over and failed to get the stab prompt in time while I was on top of him and when he pushed me off my LMB pulled out my pistol and hip fired it into his head. Yet another time a friend and I were loving around on the porch of a store in Blackwater and things suddenly escalated when we went from trading punches to me just slamming him up against the post behind him and choking him out.

And I've seen a shitton of other players getting into close range scraps that not just look good but also seem like they played out properly based on what everyone was trying to do. There's definitely some level of like, LMB now will pull out a revolver but LMB now will go for a knife blow and I'd love to learn just how that works but I'm mostly just impressed that when two players go at it it looks good and nearly scripted instead of the hamfisted lock in melee of so many other games.

yes but the meta quickly becomes "bullet meet brain" and who can do it fastest which is a shame really because you're right, brawling is great.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Looks like someone dropped their deliveries

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

anyone else find naming their horses after a snack works well?
Biscuit, Custard and Strawberry got me thru SP.
Online Beans is doing some heavy lifting. Franks has more stamina but spooks if someone drops their hat.

My tastes in food are simple lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

My horse is called a local slang name for peanuts (bagigi) because it's funny and makes me laugh everytime. So I guess yeah?

Other horses I haven't bothered naming yet, I'm still in the very early game. I kind of want to go after that white Arabian though ... what could be a good snack name for that horse?

turkish delight

dont read this if u dont want a huge spoiler: remember when Atrax dies in neverending story? its not that bad but its bad if you're fond of your horse

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Dameius posted:

Last play was naming horses aspirational words in Tahitian. Arthur gotta have dreams.

I would love to have a drink with Arthur. I wish there was a bit more of his sketches and musings. :rockstar: can still churn out the good story. the lion storyline in particular

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of i5 microprocessors and died.

lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The smoking thing is super bad. Smoking takes time, especially cigars. I like how you smoke in MGSV, Snake can stand there sucking on his fancy e-cig thing for endless hours while the world fast forwards around him.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Noirex posted:

Is there a safe way to store my perfect pelts while questing? Do I give them to Pearson for crafting? How about for the Trapper? I only have the option to sell and I don't want to ride around with my pelts on my horse for hours.

Perfects aren't all that rare. They often wont survive transitioning through a mission though. Dont sweat if you lose one, another isn't far away.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

Once you've gotten Pearson everything he needs (even if you still have to buy the leatherworking tools), I'm assuming "extra" pelts/etc. will just be converted into CampBux. Overage at the Trapper will probably just convert to cash.

Pimping the camp up (wagon upgrades) will make supplies available on-site, and refilling is relatively cheap. Doing the camp-crafting stuff, I dunno, make happy cutthroat murderers? Upgrading Dutch's tent supposedly makes other folk contribute to the tithing box, don't know about the other Ledger items yet.

this is true! it really does railroad you and its kinda a heavy bummer. keep a save file somewhere in Ch 2 because its all fun and games then and is nice to come back to (without having to win the drat game)

Or join the online fun!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

Bonus: on the trip back to camp, came across a Klan party. Them boys sure is flammable, ain't they? :supaburn::sherman:

Yup reckon so

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

thats an amazing bug, does it affect his beard too?
i never shaved arthur but his beard seemed to top out at coffee shop and never got to cowboy gandalf

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Fishstick posted:

In singleplay you can sort of cheese it by slamming hair growth tonics and taking a long fast travel trip, a lot of ingame "time" passes on each trip. You can get some majestic staches and beards like that.

sweet! john is gonna have the biggest blackest fuckin beard now and maybe i can get some of thise bullshit challenges done finally. the gambling ones are BULLSHIT

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I have massive bounties everywhere because Arthur frequently gets on the wrong horse, tackles someone and starts punching them instead of getting on his horse, accidentally trampled someone’s dog which resulted in a town-wide shootout, and decided to yell “Y’ALL GETTIN’ ROBBED :clint:” when I was just trying to shoot birds on a train for the challenge.

I like the really bad drawing of a duck he does though

having massive cross state bounties rocks in both story and online. although it can be hard to hunt productively with NPC bounty hunters showing up online.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TescoBag posted:

I went collector at the behest of goons and did two round trips of the entire map (getting all the tarot cards) and it got me around 20 levels and multiple thousands of dollars in about 6 hours. You earn zero gold, though.

I would heavily recommend getting the shovel and metal detector at your first convenience. You'll spend $1000 on it, but it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. Just started the trader, so far not too impressed with it but we'll see how it goes. Thinking of grabbing bounty hunter pretty soon, any goon tips on it?

They're pretty straight forward, some will involve tracking. Opens up the weekly legendary bounty for you too, they're usually good. I've got a bounty wagon but I rarely use it, only where there are multiple dudes to hunt. You'll want the reinforced lasso at level 5 I think.

On the wagon, you can't have it out while your horse is out, you have to tell your horse to flee then thru the stable menu you can call in the wagon. Call the wagon last, after you've subdued all the bounties. Take it slow, it doesnt have great speed but it does get stuck easy.

Edit: if u keep a temp open posse you'll have plenty of help

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 17, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Always be packing a shotgun

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Has anyone found a way to take the new legendary bounty alive? I tried shooting his gun out of his hand during the deadeye draw, but apparently that doesn't work in online. I got like 5 shots into his gun/hand and then he bled out. :confused:

Does shooting his weapon work?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Yeah that's what I tried. I hit the weapon dead on multiple times and it didn't work like it does in single player.

every time i tried it i either capped the hostage in the head or groin shot the mark for a cool instakill. usually both. next time i must unequip the sawn off from the pistol slot for a start lol

someone was asking a while ago about annoying weapons you dont wanna carry. at some point online you can buy a weapons locker to store your poo poo guns in. i cant remember if you get that in story mode tho sorry.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Those gloves got me thinking about the times people do and don't investigate me for my heinous wanton crimes.

This is all talking about online.

R* definitely tried to put thought into this I think. Cap someone in a well to do kinda place and the cops are on you like jam on bread. Go postal in the bayou, the desert, thieves landing, van horn etc and no one will ever call the cops.

In the places where no one bothers to call the cops you often get a better fight than in the 'civilised' ones because everyone around goes hostile on you and you'd best have your headshots going if you want to survive the mob.

Its really cool and one of the things that makes it feel like a world.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Some chump decided he had the right to run up and start looting all the dead bodies I just made. He immediately joined them. The nerve of some people... like wtf did he think they just fell from the sky that way? My bullets my loot, motherfucker

lol yeah same
lootin mah corpses? thats a paddlin

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Like it'd be one thing if they shot me and then took my poo poo, I'd get that. But he just ignored me and started looting like it was his loving birthright and somehow that made it more infuriating

i only actually care about it when people do that too, usually i cant be bothered but still, miiiiiiiiiiine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

tricks are an online thing, i think its bounty hunter? something you get as you progress through one of those trades.