Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

It is really hard to figure out horses in Skyrim the rare times I use them after playing 500 hours of Red Dead.

It's hard to use horses in any game after RDR. Though at least horses in Skyrim don't veer into boulders at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Rockstar wasn't ready to write around the sexism you'd have as a female protag if you were Sadie or the racism if you were Charles.

Hopefully they'll get over it for Red Dead 3. Shooting racists is an integral part of the red dead experience and it'd be great to do that as a native american or a black guy.

Really hoping they lean into the Django Unchained vibe next time around. Killing plantation owners as a former slave would be delightful.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Booted up RDO for the first time in a month. Animals spawned. Neat. Camp was nowhere to be found, typical.

I go to sell my pelts and not a single butcher was present on the entire map. Alright, gets that's enough RDO for me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ErrEff posted:

I've dipped my toes into RDO a little and got annoyed at how you need to spend gold to get access to any of the roles, so I just wandered around and did dumb stuff instead. Then I got invited to a session of Railroad Baron. Here is my review of this game mode:

I do not want to play Railroad Baron ever again.

Railroad Baron is an awful gamemode. But goddamn does it feel amazing to solo win a game by 200+ seconds against an entire posse of nerds. Most of my favorite online clips I got during Railroad Baron games.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

Railroad Baron is great when there's no cheaters and you've taken position on the train. Then it's really fun picking heads while watching the rats eat each other trying to get to you.

This is the one reason I stick to RDO on Xbox. The few times I've gotten legitimately outplayed it's nice to know the dude is legit.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mandrel posted:

yeah playing a R* game online on PC seems like itís just a doomed venture from the start. theyíre always absolute shitshows of exploits and hacking

ive encountered a couple of instances on PS4 where they were doing... something... off that I could identify but for the most part yeah if you get owned itís just because you suck. or latency I guess. or some exploit already in the game which you then get to learn yourself

I hit level 250 on Xbox and never encountered anything at all suspect other than seeing people money glitch. I do miss the early days of putting down huge posses of people that were especially terrible at the game. Good times.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I stopped playing on xbox like a year (or more) ago and have something disgusting like $25k and 300 gold. I really dislike games on console these days but just can't switch to PC to deal with the rampant amount of cheating that must go on.

Just...waiting for content. One day. Maybe?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

Much like Moonshiner is a tier 2 Trader, Naturalism is a tier 2 Collector. It's been talked about for a while since related info had been found in the game code.

It it makes collecting eggs less of a frustrating and fruitless exercise I'm all for it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

All I know is that I'm ready for RDO to disappoint me again.

I'm just waiting for a half decent co-op mode I can sink time and money into. Anything remotely close to Payday and I'd probably do nothing else.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sleekly posted:

yes same. im morbidly curious to see how they break the world this time but am not hanging out for good game modes, or even being able to loving hunt, at all anymore.

I play on Xbox only because I deal enough with suspicious nonsense in the other PC games I play. Had a good session earlier. Rode to Mount Hagen for the daily. Nothing happened along the way. Found a ring and logged out. Really hoping they add some meaningful content. I almost miss getting attacked by huge posses of idiots like I constantly did shortly after release.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

I got repeatedly owned by a small band of belligerent Native Americans on one of my first days and wasn't even mad. Beats being teleported and exploded.

I fended off a posse of 7 exactly one time. Did pretty well for myself considering I was 1v7 - only died a handful of times. Since then I usually ran across posses of 2 or 3 causing trouble, who are never much of an issue unless they spam explosive ammo. I'm honestly hoping I find more turds that need wranglin' and wrastlin' once the update hits.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

New update is fun. Studied animals and shot their butts with .22 tranq and got a single level of the new Outlaw Pass...and then promptly got attacked by a level 16 and a level 38 who pushed me to level 10 in the outlaw pass. Thanks for continually running at me and getting me free XP idiots!

In other news, the talismans are absolutely phenomenal. The 10% reduction on weapon durability loss is godly, particularly because I find myself in protracted fights with multiple people sometimes for an hour or two.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hakimashou posted:

They hosed up the collector role so each spot is just a slot machine gamble instead of a specific item

I had been waiting for them to do this for months, honestly. Collector was such absurdly good money and XP it needed a change.

Speaking of which, have they tweaked Bounty Hunter payouts at all? I haven't run one because the money per hour is laughably bad.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I would much prefer if you could headshot any animal and put it to sleep as long as it's not aware of you. Would make the tonics a lot more appealing as well.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Deus Ex came out 20 years ago and handled tranq shots better than RDR2.

That being said the entirety of online is just "Single Player except worse"

I really enjoy the character progression in online.

I like getting into scraps with large posses while playing solo. Coming out on top, and then retreating to the woods to cook up more tonics and pick more herbs...I just find really enjoyable. That said, I play on Xbox still just to avoid the mess that are PC public lobbies and I play with all VOIP off. I am waiting for meaningful co-op content though, because it's extremely lacking at the moment. Having a system like Dark Souls' guardian covenant would be fantastic. Just being able to avail myself to help players under level 40 or 50 who are getting repeatedly murdered by posses would keep me engaged for an extremely long time.

That said, if you don't enjoy player interactions of any kind, yeah Story mode is probably where it's at.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

antisocial86 posted:

Got to 70, saved up for the black ariabian and then forgot it's gold bars. FUDGE.

For what it's worth, I have a Black Arabian and still prefer the Breton or Turkoman. I value my horse not bolting a mile away during a gunfight and not throwing me when I get within 100 feet of a wolf more than a little bit more speed or maneuverability.

It's very good, but I value the hidden bravery stat far more than anything else.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

My Black Arabian is tough as nails The only time I've been bucked since I got level 4 bonding, was against the legendary boar.

I've always read that whenever a horse is purchased they're assigned a random bravery stat within a given range. It's entirely possible I just rolled low.

I actually called out my arabian in the swamps earlier today just to give her another shot. I was ~100 feet away from a gator (it was not aggro'd) and was almost thrown as I dismounted to collect an item. Whereas both my Breton and Turkoman can just stomp all over wolf packs and will only throw me if I get them hung up on geometry so they stop moving.

Zesty posted:

and that elite handling that Arabians get is loving sweet too. If people truly cared about how their horse behaves, the elite handling affects you every second you're using the horse.

All of this on top of the Black Arabian having the best overall stats.

I've won fights against large posses simply because my horse is always on hand when I need to reposition. On the rare occasion I'm through my Breton, Turkoman and Mustang in a fight (if your horse gets downed, select another and it'll come instantly) and I'm down to my Arabian it's extremely noticeable how much more cowardly mine is. But like I said, I have my entire kit dedicated to excelling at open world PvP against multiple opponents, so I'm probably in the minority given how much I value bravery. And, like I said, I think my Arabian is more cowardly than most as well.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 1, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Oberst posted:

RDR1 sanctioned pvp was better, but open world was worse. Theres no jet fighter speed zebra Buffalo brazilians to deal with

I completely agree with this. The showdown environments were better and they were actual showdowns.

The only thing I liked about RDR1 open world were the hardcore lobbies. I detonated many a man chasing my horse with well timed TNT.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So pretty much none of Gus' trinkets are worth it right? I've got the one that gives you more herbs when you pick them, which should save some time and was thinking about the one that gives you a better chance at perfect pelts until I remembered that I don't need pelts, I deal in carcasses. OK, so it may not be exactly worthless, but I fail to see a huge upside to it..?

Well I came into this update with $22k, so 4 of the 5 were worth it to me. I really value the reduction in weapon degradation trinket above all others. But I'm probably in the minority there.

Zesty posted:

Every legendary pelt I've turned in so far has been worth 70. Plus 5 or so for some extra legendary item.

I sold one of the legendary bison to Gus for $95. Though I don't think I can bring myself to kill another one of those beautiful bastards

fennesz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 2, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is it just me or does the Outlaw Pass suck? I'm supposed to want to pay like $20 for this? One of the items is some raggedy rear end torn pants

The busted rear end clothes are the best clothes in the game. My favorite outfit is the one that makes my dude look the most backwoods hermit guru.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Nice to see an influx of new players with the latest update. Dropped off a lady stranded in the woods at the sheriff's office in Valentine. I exit the cutscene and there are two idiots in the road aiming their pistols at me. Nothing two shells out of my pump shotgun couldn't solve

SplitSoul posted:

Does the big fur coat at Gus' require a grizzly bear pelt or something? I turned in two bear pelts and I still can't buy it.

A perfect grizzly pelt if memory serves.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Paint it Black is an interesting ability. It's extremely helpful when you're learning the game and also in super high end, sweaty, open world PvP - but not quite as good in most other cases. Whereas Slow and Steady is harder to get the hang of initially, especially now that both you and your horse slow to a crawl when it's active, but is still amazing to have in almost any situation.

I almost always run Slow and Steady unless I'm trading explosive rounds with another posse, and certain edge cases where someone is abusing Slippery Bastard. Especially because it's so strong against most strategies low ranked players employ.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

If you have the SaS card activated, can you run outside of Deadeye, or is all running disabled period?

E: And how does it handle dynamite/explosive arrows, etc?

You can run whenever your dead eye is not active. You used to be able to ride horses unimpeded but they changed it a while ago so your horse comes to a complete standstill as well. You can usually mitigate it by accelerating your horse before engaging S&S, but it severely limits your mobility either way.

I haven't been hit with an explosive arrow with S&S active in a long time, but I've definitely tanked explosive rifle rounds before. That was many months ago before S&S was reworked, so it could be different now. Though if you're running Iron Lung and full on stamina I'd bet you'd be on the verge of death but still kicking. I've found it to be particularly helpful in openworld PvP simply because they either use another explosive rifle round on you or you drop to the ground and they're not able to hit you again before you get up and slam a tonic to recover.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Was the Valentine bank heist DLC?

If I recall correctly the Rhodes bank heist was a pre-order bonus. I could be wrong, I didn't pre-order and thus have never done it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

JustaDamnFool posted:

It's absolutely wild that they haven't done a bandit career in online yet. Right now there's straight up no reason to interact with NPCs or the law. Honestly its crazy to me that they dipped back into hunting with extra steps first.

I think it was probably a team wide effort of fixing animal spawns and rounding out interactions with animals before they moved forward. I just want to rob banks and kill a fuckload of pursuers doing it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

My dailies were two desert samples and two river/forest samples. Do different people see different dailies?

VVVV EDIT: One of the scenarios I hate the most in games is hordes of bullet-sponge enemies that swarm from all sides. The first moonshiner story mission was nothing but that. I can't get headshots because I'm bad at videogames so I find it to be frustrating, as well as incredibly lazy game design.

Just to make this clear: you didn't enjoy the missions because you're admittedly not good at the game. I thought the Moonshine story was much, much better than the online story.

If you struggle to one tap enemies you should just run a damage build with springfield/bolt action. I would guess you can probably one tap thorax most NPC's.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

For hunting legendaries, keep a few legendary pheromones on you. The two times I used them when I was pursuing a legendary animal it ran back toward the pheromones making for an easy kill.

Anyone gotten the Marble Fox yet? I know it spawns up near Colter, spoilers I guess? but I can't be assed to sit up there for too long because there is very little to do.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah, both my friend and I. I found it while hunting wolves and my friend got a notification for it as soon as he fast traveled there.

Glad to hear it. I'll probably fast travel up there once or twice every session, I was just worried fast traveling would somehow stop it from spawning.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Does it sound like a *thwack* sound? If so, I'm 99% sure that's an audio bug.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I keep getting network error and dropped out of session, usually when I finally find some drat deer.

Probably much more people playing than usual, but lol.

The servers seem to be dropping out occasionally. You'll get dropped constantly when trying to reconnect. Haven't found a solution yet other than just waiting for it to be fixed. That said I'm only on Xbox.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xbox servers have been extremely inconsistently lately. Been getting kicked over and over for 30+ minutes on occasion. PC/PS4 having the same issue?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I wish it was easier to see the Naturalist task status for an animal. Maybe a toggle that when you target an animal you see what's left to do in a little popup. The current method does not encourage me to pursue these tasks.

That'd be nice but I just really wish selling samples was better than it was. If you have two of each animal in a category and sell both of them at once you can only stamp and finish your collection once. It's kind of a puzzling way to do things, especially because collector already handles things better.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

If you get samples of all animals in a category you get a cash bonus. Obviously higher for legendary categories but they start around an ~$80 bonus IIRC.

\/ never had anything suspect on Xbox lobbies, ever.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 9, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Probably just nonsense, but I've had very little connectivity issues when I re-join a posse. Maybe try that if you're getting the error loop over and over.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Maybe now that one of the Hausers is gone they can probably take those hundreds of millions of dollars not being funneled to the top to pay for some actual QA and a dev team to work on their patches instead of unpaid interns. This latest patch completely broke the PS4 version. Auto-aim doesn't work, no animal spawn, no NPCs spawn, horse has a 50/50 chance of not showing up. It's a real shitshow.

At least got a couple weeks of some solid RDO before Rockstar went and broke it again.

I do find it funny that the exclusive content usually seems to make the PS4 just the test branch. Fortunately Rockstar usually has the big issues fixed after a month goes by.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Xbox is just as broken. Undid literally all of the improvements they made with the patch before that, and then some.

Straight up not worth playing right now if you're on console.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

A game with such a rigid streak is almost totally unplayable and has nothing to say about it let alone compensation.

My streak was 3 days from reaching the end of the last tier a couple months ago, but I couldn't log into the game at all and there wasn't even a declared downtime. Reboots did nothing, and so my streak was gone and no more gold for me. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, CODMW is more or less stable for me now so guess what? They got 10 bux and Rockstar can eat poo poo.

Open up a ticket and complain. I got compensated a while ago after I lost my 60+ whatever day streak. I just have so much gold now I don't care anymore.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

You monster. I imagine you have some pretty decent hatemail clogging your inbox if you do that on the regular.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

If I don't want to drive wagons around, what's a good way to earn funds these days?

Collect sets. It is more difficult now that the valuable sets have randomized spawns, but still nets you a crazy amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

It'll feel like a ton of work collecting poo poo constantly for sets, but once you get a good baseline down you finish sets by randomly stumbling into the last two or three pieces regularly.

I also visit Nazar from time to time and sell all of my collectables down to 5 each. They only stack up to 10 and it's a drag finding an item that's worth $20 on it's own and passing it up because you can't carry any more.