Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dead wrong. Gavin's up in the UFO. Checkmate atheists. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

A few times I've dressed up in all purple and watched other players with my binoculars in St. Denis. Usually crouched on a rooftop. Only after reading Ygolonac's post did I realize the snarling cougar emote would be perfect for when people get too close. I haven't done it in a while but I might have to put the Purple Man outfit back on...

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

what controls how quickly the reticle shrinks after shooting? is that the accuracy stat?

kb+m if that makes a difference

I believe it's the accuracy stat, yeah. I think the Range stat controls how far away you can hit and/or mark targets with Paint it Black. Though it's possible both contribute to how quickly the reticle shrinks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The only times I've seen a panther were near Catfish Jacksons. And very rarely near Thieves Landing.

Though I'm now trying to get the Marble Fox to spawn. I feel like hopping sessions might be the fastest way, but maybe that's just because I find sitting near Colter with absolutely nothing to do boring as hell.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wow. I only used that map three or four times for trying to finish a collector set. I had no idea it had animals on it!

:cheers:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I think if your character is in any sort of animation other than just "idle" you can't do anything other than pull a firearm. Happens while I'm on horseback trying to get out the ol' metal detector as well.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Not sure if it's just consoles but I'm noticing far, far more free roam spawns since the latest update. Rode around for an hour or so and hit 2 gang hideouts, 3 moonshine events, 2 legendary animals, 2 defenses and a partridge in a pear tree. Oddly enough, I'm seeing fewer players which is a bit of a drag. But I'll just chalk that up to growing pains in the short term.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Scherloch posted:

From what I've gathered, the working theory is as follows: When you're alone, the game only has to keep track of what's within your draw-distance, and thus has more resources left over to spawn events and animals. The more players, the more resources are used to keep track of players and whatever's around them, leaving less resources to spawn events and animals.

Another theory is that the game is set to spawn stuff at a certain frequency, regardless of number of people in a lobby. When you're alone, or in a low-pop lobby, this means more stuff will spawn in your proximity, thus giving you more to do.

This is all stuff I've seen others claim, but both seem plausible.

This is my assumption, though I have nothing to back it up. Factor in all of the camps, quests and random poo poo people are doing at any one time and that's a huge portion of the map that's already dedicated to stuff that you'll never interact with. Fewer players = more events makes perfect sense to me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't messed with it at all. Is it actually less powerful than the springfield? I just don't trust the stat bars in games like this.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Flannelette posted:

The way the damage works for different ammo/guns is very janky my advice would be to watch videos because it changes weapon to weapon and distance.
HV can shoot through people so that kind of makes it a better just by have an extra feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XW6yYQZYA

Also expect it to randomly change in patches probably.

Interesting video, thanks for posting. I think they must have changed the way explosive ammunition works in a patch in the last ~8-12 months or so. Or the rifles (specifically the Springfield) operate much differently, specifically with explosive ammo. I used to get into spats with posses and we'd tag each other with PiB + Springfield Explosive ammo at ranges literally 1500m or more in distance and we'd still one shot each other. But then again, that might just be how the springfield works specifically. I haven't had any conflicts with other high level players in a while so I haven't traded explosive rounds with anyone in really long time.

(Edit: watched more videos on that channel you linked and it looks like a ton of poo poo was changed over the last year. I rarely played over that time frame so that makes sense)

That said, keeping my Carcano loaded with Express ammo forever at this point. Though I am curious as to the inaccuracy he was referring to with the HV ammo. I hadn't noticed any innate inaccuracy when using it and it's all I've ever really used in my Lancaster Repeater.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 28, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Vord posted:

I see you're familiar with my plan.

What's the best way to go about filling out these collections? Any of them particularly easy to do compared to the others? I already despise looking for arrowheads.

Honestly the best way to fill out your collections is to just ride around with your metal detector out all the time and toggle eagle eye when you near a spot that might have a collector spawn - just so you can see the yellow glowies they give off in the distance. Just be aware that if your metal detector is out you won't get the vibration of any collector items that don't require the metal detector to find. And as I type this out I realize that PC folks probably have a lot harder time collecting with KB+M because using vibration to find stuff is so, so helpful. Having Bounty Hunter leveled up so you can travel at any speed while using eagle eye is also unfathomably helpful.

But honestly parking yourself near a butcher (Valentine, Rhodes and Tumbleweed have all been really great for me) and just filling your horse with any game you can find and running back to the butcher to sell ASAP I still think is one of the best ways to make money. I did this way back in beta before roles were released and never really found myself wanting for money. The big downside is that it is boring as gently caress, whereas Collecting you can just ride around to any areas of the map you find interesting and make bank.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Scherloch posted:

I've honestly been enjoying the Collector role more since they randomized the valuable collections. Since you're no longer guaranteed to be able to fill out these sets in a day, I no longer do the long-rear end runs for all of them. Now I just have my metal detector out and dig up whatever it points me to. I'll also drop by spots I know can have collectibles, and sometimes I find one. Basically, I'm playing Collector like Rockstar probably intended it to be played.

I guess it also helps that I finally decided to focus on Trader. $500 every two sessions or so is decent money, and a nice enough replacement for the loss of income for collecting. Hunting is also a lot more fun than roaming from collectible to collectible, so while the return is lower, I'm actually doing something I enjoy. I also went ahead and got myself the solo lobby fix (PC) during the 50% Trader bonus reward week just so I could do long distance deliveries for $940 a pop.

I feel fortunate that I've always been able to play Collector like that. I had a decent bankroll when Collector rolled out and I've always just roamed the map wherever I felt like (usually for daily challenges) and just hoovered up stuff in between. Even so, I have a ludicrous amount of money, even after my post-Naturalist update spending spree.

I do really enjoy that Rockstar rewards consistent exploration and map traversal in spades via Collector and random events. One of my biggest complaints about RDO at launch (among many) was that it didn't incentivize anything other than Showdowns or just hunting and hauling carcasses back to butchers ASAP. Really glad that's not the case anymore!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

re Collecting, should I be selling dupes I pick up or just hoarding them all for full sets?

I usually sell down all of my duplicates down to 5. The rarer ones (Golden Dollars, Golden Quarters, Obsidian Arrowheads, etc.) never sell regardless of how many you have. Especially now that the expensive sets are truly randomized.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

Cheaters are extremely common.

A caveat here, cheaters are only common PC. I'm nearly level 300 playing RDO on Xbox and I've literally never encountered anything remotely suspect.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I like westerns so red dead is one of my favorite games. The controls are wonky at first but I play on PS4 and got used to it. By wonky I mean hold button for almost everything you want to do. Step forward to a chest whoops that was too far gotta circle my guy around so the open chest prompt comes back. poo poo like that. Animations for everything. But you do get used to it. It's a slower game. Literally. And just like any rockstar game you're along for the ride not the other way around. But in gunfights things can happen fast. They were going for realism and I think they nailed it. Eat drink. Fish and hunt. Leave animal carcasses on your horse for too long they spoil. Get skinny get fat. Grow huge beards. Clean guns. Make fun of people. Pet dogs. Cheat at poker. The map and the world is the best I've played in. Storms are insane especially with headphones. I've 100% completed it. Mainly because I didn't mind wandering around. Not to mention the characters are great. The story is predictable but what western isn't? In online play if you like grinding or just screwing around it's fine. I'm too the point where I'm waiting for new stuff to come out again. Basically doing moonshine runs and trader deliveries and spending money on outfits and emotes at this point. I don't think you can compare the Witcher and red dead. Apples and oranges. I love both games. Hundreds of hours in both. But if you're coming off the Witcher 3 and blast right into red dead you might be thrown off a bit.

:agreed:

The only thing I'd add is in regards to the story being predictable. The ending is somewhat predictable but something I didn't expect is how I felt when I was approaching the end. Arthur just kept getting sicker and sicker, and the gang was rapidly becoming much less cohesive. John was clearly on his way out and toward the end of the game I just had this terrible drive to get to the conclusion so it could be over. Not out of any sense of that I wasn't engaged, but that I absolutely was and I just wanted to do what I could to help Charles, Sadie, John and Abigail. That and so I could put a bullet in that rat bastard.

Apart from the story I genuinely really enjoy that everything is slow. Everything has an animation. I feel like most people just want everything faster and louder, but RDR2 intentionally makes you slow down. I can understand why some people resist it, but I found it just perfect.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

There's also rumors of purchasable properties based on poking around in datafiles, but if they can't keep minor things like animal spawns running right, I dunno that I'd expect Red Dead Refurb'n'Flip any time soon.

:tinfoil: I suspect that R* took so long to fix animal spawns because they were making sure they could get camps, properties, animals and random events working with larger lobbies. They know GTAO and potentially RDO is just printing money if they keep pushing new content.

I'm cautiously optimistic that in a month or two once the new legendary animal tap runs dry we'll get another new role or chunk of content. Maybe it'll even be properties. I just want to buy one of the random little shacks in New Austin, so many of those are just perfect for my ornery hermit ways.

edit: a few words

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 4, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GeorgieMordor posted:

Picked this up on PC for the long weekend to play RDO with a friend, having had played RDO on PS4 consistently since launch.

Tho I started RDO on PC and...I don't recognize any of this from when I started on PS4. I made a push to get Cripps and Trading set up first thing only to find...I have to pay 15 gold to unlock Trading? Maybe that was free as a pre-order perk when I played 2 years ago or something?

Anyway, question now is what's the recommendation to getting the most productive Posse-ups with friends if we don't have any of the Professions yet? We wanted to play a few sessions over the weekend.

We're mostly playing for the cowboy vibes so don't much mind the grinding I suppose, but would be nice to make sure we're putting energy towards at least gaining some money / gold in the early stages.

Is your account linked to Twitch/Twitch Prime? I want to say back in the day there were a lot of deals for free or discounted role unlocks if your profile was linked to your Twitch Prime. Apart from that I'm not aware of anything that gave it a discount, other than maybe one of the rolling offers Rockstar updates weekly on their in-game Benefits page.

I can't speak to playing with other people because I play on Xbox and everyone else I know exclusively plays PC.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Legendary Bounties are good money, but also if you are solo resource intensive, and can get hairy at higher difficulty levels

They're also virtually the only content in RDO that feels legitimately challenging. I've done all content solo and enjoyed the legendary bounties the most by far.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Agreed absolutely

The train one in particular is a blast

Yep, Red Ben Clemson. I think that and the first bounty (the Mexican gal hiding out in Gaptooth Breech) are my favorite, mostly just because they have really strong original RDR vibes to me.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH posted:

Just loading up RDO for the first time, I know they just added some new stuff. Is there a good updated beginners guide or do you guys have tips for a fresh start?

1. Hunting is good money. Just run around and hunt whatever you can, once your horse is full run it back to butcher and go again. Unlocking and buying rifles really help out for hunting (see below).
2. Ability cards are amazing. Good abilities of note: Slow and Steady, Paint it Black, Strange Medicine (a godsend when doing PvE content), Iron Lung, Fool Me Once, Never Without One. Upgrading them is advisable, but it is expensive ($900 total per card).
3. Daily Challenges are probably the best way to earn gold. If you want your gold now and are up for grinding both Showdowns and Free Roam Events are fairly good at accruing gold.
4. Play in Defensive mode unless you're fine with fighting other players consistently.
5. Buy a Bolt Action Rifle ASAP. It'll help with hunting and it's still very good when fighting other players.

I prioritize weapon importance in this order, from most important to least important: Bolt Action Rifle, Varmint Rifle, Pump Action Shotgun, Navy Revolver 1, Navy Revolver 2, Carcano Rifle OR Rolling Block Rifle. Move up the Carcano/Rolling Block purchase if you want to fight other players in free roam sooner rather than later. They're more or less required for any sort of meaningful free roam PvP. The Carcano fires faster and I prefer it because I can hit heads pretty consistently. Rolling Block is slow but hits hard. The Bolt Action is your go-to hunting weapon and the Varmint Rifle is nice to bag those perfect smaller critters. I would also highly recommend loading up Express Ammo in virtually everything you fire, it's that good.

Once you have the gold for roles, I would unlock them in this order:
1. Collector
2. Seriously, Collector. It's that good.
3. Trader
4. Everything Else

Bounty Hunter is a good source of gold but I really only enjoy the Legendary Bounties.

Another thing to note: any activity you do is timed outside of a few instanced activities like legendary animals and legendary bounties. A good thing to remember is the longer you take to complete the activity the more you'll make. For example, you find a woman abducted by bandits. You kill the bandits and free her. If you ride her to her house ASAP you'll make 0.04g and like $10. If you take your sweet time and hunt/collect/whatever along the way and drop her off once the timer appears you'll make 0.18g+ and $25 or more. "Doubling up" on activities like that will make you way, way more money in the long run. But don't stress it too much in the beginning, just keep it in the back of your mind when you can choose to do a drop off later rather than sooner.

e: fixed and revised a few things

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 9, 2020

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

Seeing as Rockstar hosed with the spawn chances of the good collector items, I'd recommend starting with trader. I'd rather take a guaranteed pay-off (and at least for me) more exiting game play, than spending time digging up yet another of the 14 out of 15 coins I need to sell a full set.

I still prefer Collector because it feels less grindy. I'm not chained to my camp and having to babysit Cripps. I can ride around wherever I want, triggering different free roam events all the time and still make bank, even if I don't complete sets. Every week or two I stop by Nazar and sell down my collections until I'm 5/10 or less on each item and usually make $500+.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

It seems to me GTAO and RDO are being developed by a tiny team on a shoestring budget. Most of the people working on V probably started working on VI as soon as their game shipped.

That's my take as well. I don't think we'll return to Liberty City in GTA6 unless they're going to drastically change the playable area. Being able to visit more rural areas seems like kind of a necessity at this point.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's probably going to be Vice City but with a whole bunch of gator infested swamp wilderness and scattered tiny towns full of comically inbred hicks and a Florida Keysesque archipelago would be guaranteed. They could even reuse a lot of Guarma assets.

But I'd be genuinely surprised if it's even announced before 2025.

My guess is that it'll be out holiday season 2022 or maybe 2023. This estimation is based on nothing :banjo:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hakimashou posted:

I finally missed a day on the streak a while ago, i was up to like 56 or some poo poo.

I went from having like 1 golds after getting naturalist crap to having 200 golds though!

Yeah feels like you really only need to keep a good streak like once and you're set on gold for good. I dropped like 50g and $8000 when Naturalist hit and made back everything and then some, and really haven't even played a whole lot.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Thinking about calling it when I reach day 300. :suicide:

How much gold do you have? I hit like 60 once and 30 twice and am sitting at 290g.

gotdamn.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

They literally have. The most valuable sets have different spawn rates. For the coins, I think 5 of them only have a 2% chance of spawning. That's why I don't recommend Collector to new players, especially with animal spawns now working so well.

Maybe strictly for money made per minute, but even then it's close. And farming animals really feels grindy and unfun after just a short time. Whereas Collector lets you go virtually anywhere you want and you still make money. I usually just run down a few daily challenges I feel like finishing up and pick up a load of collectables on the way. And finishing collectable sets is just a bonus in my view. Selling collectables for just their base value to Nazar is still very profitable, just less so.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Honestly that letter regarding Gavin makes his theory pretty open and shut in my opinion. Obviously there's a little wiggle room but his theory makes the most sense and really in-line with what Rockstar likes to do.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gambrinus posted:

Where is good for cardinals and woodpeckers? And rats I suppose?

The birds are usually flying around in the area just north of Rhodes. Check the bridges and train bridges in the area, some of the cardinals spawn on the guardrails, though I've only ever seen the woodpeckers flying.

Rats are usually found in and around the broken buildings in the swamp.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Clavavisage posted:

Bounty hunter is the only role I gave up on because of how R* tedious it was, glad to see it got an addition.

Who exactly is this stand alone RDO designed for?

GTAO people. Trouble is, they're still playing GTAO.

In all seriousness how and the ever loving gently caress aren't heists a thing yet? Just let me blow up a bank and rob it. How has it been YEARS and they continually miss the biggest slam dunk possible? Goddamnit.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

I've been waiting eight years for Max Payne 4 and I'll keep waiting.

I was massively disappointed by Max Payne 3. Almost every scenario feels more "on rails" than it used to, with far more enemies popping up out of bounds. It's weird and it feels like it should be a lightgun game or something. Effectively killed my desire to ever see another Max Payne, despite the first in the franchise being absolutely impeccable.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

gently caress sake.

I wonder if the ammo capacity pamphlets in the outlaw pass let you carry more special ammo, or if it just applies to regular ammo for that weapon type.

I read somewhere it was non-explosive, though I'm not entirely sure. Still probably worth it for the pistols alone to be entirely honest.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

They did everything necessary to make Sadie a playable character. She has some unique gun reloading animations and her own greets and taunts with strangers that no one will see unless they use a mod menu to be her, much more than the other gang members. They definitely intended to make a epilogue or DLC with her and it got canceled.

My bet is that they were going to make Sadie the epilogue character but audiences preferred John because it bridged well with RDR1.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

apropos man posted:

Stupid question: is the only sane way of getting a bounty hunter license (even the base one) to part with real-world money and buy one of those gold bar packs?

I've played about 10 hours in free-roam and only have a pathetic 1.79 bars of gold.

Edit: about 5 hours of my initial play was just grinding to get a permanent horse. Oh how nice it felt to not rely on the Scrawny Nag anymore!

Before the daily challenge change, that was the way to get gold. Now I'd say do the daily challenges you somewhat enjoy doing and try engaging in activities that get you gold. All showdowns/matchmaking PvP modes give you a moderate amount of gold per match, and that's probably the go-to way to get gold prior to having access to the Bounty Hunter role.

An important thing to remember though is if you're doing a random event activity in free roam, chances are good that it'll reward you a small amount of gold if you wait long enough. If a lady wants a ride to town, ride around with them for a little while and only start making your way back to where they want to go once the timer appears at the top of your screen. The longer you take to complete these activities, the more gold they reward. I believe most stranger missions and events that reward gold max out at .32, though there might still be a few that reward .4 per if you really get it down to the wire.

Beyond that each time you reset any challenge for your character you're also awarded .4 per reset. Most of the kills/headshots challenges come pretty easy from doing anything, just remember to reset when you see it complete. If none of that sounds appealing I'd plonk down $5 on the 25 gold deal, purchase the Bounty Hunter role and each bounty does award gold.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't think I would be playing RDO at all if I didn't have 270 gold banked going into the most recent patch. If I didn't I can imagine how much of an uphill battle it'd feel like and honestly that would really suck.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

lmao i'm rank 140 and i never knew this was a thing

i was sitting on like a dozen ingots and who knows how many more i missed by not resetting

The only ones you really missed out on are the few that are legitimately difficult to do. Hideout clears, treasure maps completed, etc. just because they're hard to actually find.

apropos man posted:

Thanks for the good advice. I've done the "take a lady into town" thing but I didn't realise that taking your time accrued more of the shiny stuff. I also did a random "capture the flag" event the other night and that's probably where the bulk of my stash came from so far.

I'm in the mood for a grind so I will continue to do a grind and if it gets overwhelming I'll just stump up some money for a gold pack/bounty hunter license.

Cheers for the pointers.

No worries. Honestly the best advice beyond that is to just enjoy the game. Do what you like even if it's suboptimal. Having fun and making $10 is better than hating it and making $20.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saddles looking good > stats :colbert:

But in all seriousness, I'm happy to hear that the absolutely hideous Nacodoches saddle actually has a contender that doesn't look like it was designed by a 4th grader.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

What's the best way to grind XP right now? Still Collector?

I think so, yeah. Even if you don't have any collections near complete, just the XP bonus you get on picking up each piece is worth. Then you get into 1000 XP+ per collection sold and it's still far and away the best.

Legendary bounties are good too. Tons of XP for headshotting each man, and you get a chunk as a bonus as well.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

Stupid "do a bounty without killing the target or his pals" challenge bugged on me yesterday. Three bounties with no deaths, no completion. :smith:

Knocking out bounties makes them count as dead in some places, stat-wise. You still get the payout for handing them in alive but if you look at your stats or challenges you'll get credit for a bounty brought in dead. I would wager that's the issue.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Newsman posted:

Just finished the epilogue and dove into online a week or two ago now.

Man do I suck at pvp. Like every free roam even I go into I just get trounced. It's really unfun. Maybe it'll get better with practice but idk. Relied too much on deadeye through the single player I guess because I can't aim for poo poo

If you're using a controller just abuse the absolute hell out of autoaim. As SplitSoul said, it's literally an aimbot slapped onto your character. If you're on PC, I don't really have relevant advice. Hope you don't run into a guy hacking the hell out of your lobby I guess (you will).

Apart from this I would prioritize the Pump Shotgun and a Carcano/Rolling Block. Tons of people still don't utilize a sniper rifle at extreme distances in PvP. Especially useful once you kill someone or die to them. A respawn is usually put further back and out of any sort of autoaim distance and if the other guy doesn't have a sniper rifle equipped, keep him away from his horse and farm him with relative ease.

I really like survivability cards. Slow and Steady, Iron Lung, Fool Me Once and Cold Blooded/Strange Medicine is my build of choice.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

I have apparently played RDO for 672 hours without discovering the "Modify" button in the wardrobe.

:cripes:

That's honestly really shocking. One of the best parts of the game is cowboy dressup. I feel like you've been short changed.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I feel really fortunate I somehow managed to avoid that encounter. I wonder if there have been any interviews with R* regarding why that was even included. Like...who okayed that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Wait, I can’t play by myself?

Not sure which you're referring but;

Red Dead Online: you can play solo or with friends. You're in a world (almost) always populated by other players. All story missions are played with 3 other random folks, but all free roam jobs/professions are done solo or with your posse.
RDR2: Story is just single player only. Though I believe that RDO still comes with RDR2 if you buy the full version.

e: I've always played RDO solo (I'm level 300 right now) and I've never been gated from any content.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 25, 2021