Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I saw a guy at a campfire near the river, his dog ran up to me and he was like "Wow, he doesn't like most people" so I sat down with the guy and his dog sat next to me and then proceeded to poo poo right into my lap. The guy got mad and said "I've had enough of this" and left.

I think it triggered a combat response? Either way, game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The early mission in the snow area, where you have to go into the house and search for something, I rounded the corner of the house, ran into the chair sitting near it and the chair slide into the front of the door. I couldn't pick up or move the chair, so I couldn't trigger opening the door. I tried hitting it, shooting it, running and jumping on it, but nothing was working. I had to use dynamite and blow up the chair, I open the door and a dude jumped me (in a cutscene). Pretty ballsy for him to wait by the door after I blew the poo poo out of it with dynamite.

Also one thing I really hate is looting dead people sometimes triggers an honor hit. I came up to the guy looking at his horse, I greeted him and the horse kicked him dead and ran off. So I figured I'd search the guy, maybe find something useful and the game gives me an honor hit for looting the dead. I can shoot and kill cops and loot them and get no honor hit. I know you're supposed to be a bad guy and not care, but honor is honor drat it, and surviving trumps any honor code.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jimbot posted:

Dutch is motivated by making more and more money and is the sole holder of the 50% cut. He's bourgeois and everyone else in the gang is proletariat.

Yeah, early on I was like "Dutch is a cult leader, I'm in a cult. poo poo".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TMMadman posted:

You should kill deer with the repeater for one shot kills.

I always lasso them, but I'm sad when you reel them in you can only kill them and not pet them. (It will give you a perfect pelt when you do this though. I'm bad at shooting things so I just do this)

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m still early in the game but stressing over getting perfect pelts/carcasses by killing the right animals in the right way is sounding like kind of a chore. Is anything interesting locked behind it? Or if I don’t care about Challenges or money, is it something you can just safely not think about?

I think a lot of this game can be summed up as, if you're not having fun, don't do it. Like Spider-man was designed for everyone to %100 it and enjoy it and it was super easy to do. This game really isn't that. Do something because you want to do it, don't do it if you're just worried you won't get a unique hat that probably doesn't do anything.

I've spent most of my time in this game just looking around and listening to people. There is a lot of great dialog and moments and character in it all.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Section Z posted:

The all seeing sky god doesn't like the competition in reporting crimes.

I happened on a fight and the guy was pleading for help, but the other dude knocked him out and he fell face first into the mud. I beat up the dude and went to go check on the guy he knocked out. I figured he might drown, so I picked him up and thought I would put him in the dry dirt so he didn't drown.

The whole town flipped out at me "kidnapping" him.

I also found a guy in chains and a prison outfit asking for help. I lasso'd him and thought I'd take him into the sheriff. A dude saw me, and reported me for kidnapping. I had to chase him down and beat him up. I just want to be a force for good ;_;

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey, I got one weird question, I picked up a pack of premium cigarettes and got some cards with it. I've found other packs, but I can never pick them up. It says I don't have room. Where are the premium cigarettes stored? Cause I've sold most of my items and think I have space everywhere.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

moist turtleneck posted:

I felt all high and mighty donating a perfect rat pelt to pearson, which i found digging around in a decomposing deer

You can search them?!?! I could only stomp on them for some reason.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
His cult only allows sex with the leader

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zaphod42 posted:

Like what the gently caress. Why would anybody take the time to hunt animals and gather carving materials of all these perfect pristine hides just so they can have a skull over one of the wagons?

Because it's fun and cool.

I was so excited, I found the racoon hat jerk in the saloon and tried to order a drink before I beat him up and that started the fight. So I was slugging away on him, and the ladies started to panic cause we were fighting right near them. Well, one runs RIGHT into my fist as I'm trying to clobber raccoon hat guy and the whole bar go nuts and the cops came in and I kept slugging it out for that drat hat while the cops tried shooting at me. I knocked the guy out, but couldn't get the hat before I had to run out of there.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I found one of those shooting challenge dudes and took him on the first round. I won and he was getting ready to ask me to challenge him again, so I thought "This would be a good time to reload my pistol" but instead of reloading I start pistol whipping him. So I guess I won still.

Also after being tricked by a lady asking for help only to get robbed by her and her gang, anytime anyone asks me for help I point my gun at them. One of the snake bite guys was all "Jesus man, don't shoot me, I need help" so that was a cool reaction. Half my play time is just listening to people and their responses or chit chat. It's great. Like I never know if I should hang around and hear dialog or if I'm missing dialog. I want to hear it all.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

CharlestonJew posted:

get close to a dude with a shotgun and see what happens

I blew off a cult lady's leg with a shotgun and she was screaming and fell off the top of the farm she was in. Her leg was gone, but her ankle length dress was fine.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

angry_keebler posted:

If you let the bounty hunters get her you get a retry from checkpoint prompt.

e: If you try to shoot her any other time she's greyed out as an ally.

Okay, dynamite then. That doesn't have friendly fire, does it? I imagine they would just give her plot invincibility though.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Now release it on PC and I will buy it again.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jerusalem posted:

I just assumed they were pissed I killed their leader (before the main storyline had even taken me to Lemoyne County) on a random bounty. They actually sent a posse after me recently and tried to ambush me near a bridge... drat fools :clint:

They tried to blow my horse up with dynamite they laid out in the road. Those assholes, if they kill my horse I'm removing them all from the game code.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I love when Arthur has cold rear end quips after you do something. I found some raiders sitting around a campfire telling old war stories, so I chucked a stick of dynamite into the camp and blew them all to hell, like limbs off and people slumped all over everything bleeding and screaming and Arthur just goes "Heh, looks like you boys won't be tellin' any more war stories"

I also found a dude who said to go help his wife in their swamp house, so I pulled out my rifle with super scope and sniped one of the dudes from so far away the game didn't register it. So when I walked it they still pretended the dude was advancing on her and she was screaming for help, then just asked me to take the body out of the house.

I'm still on chapter 3, but I think I'm close to the end of it, I did the mission where Arthur gets captured and hosed up and has to burn his chest wound and run away. I hate those "take everything away from you mission" and then the game is just like "lol the camp pitched in and purchased everything you lost" to restore your inventory. I guess they didn't check the 15K I had on me up my prison wallet

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Spiteski posted:

Pretty sure that latter one you're talking about has all your stuff in a box in the other building nearby so the camp buying you that stuff would be a "welp this guy didn't recover his poo poo like wed hoped, better not screw him over for rest of game.

Ahh, okay, I was having a mess with that level. I didn't even think to try that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Snowy posted:

I partied until the next day and didn’t hear that at all, just heard other people commenting about it :smith:

I've spent a lot of time at the camp and just listening/talking to people. It's a major part of the game and I have a feeling additional plays will be needed to hear everything. The dialog really fleshes out a bunch of characters. It's one of the most impressive parts of the game. I feel really bad for people who skip it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm starting to think we won't get to go to Tahiti

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
how do you stop playing online and save? Does it just save automatically? I was walking around and did the whole intro part and stopped right before I was supposed to start a mission cause I didn't know how long it would take. What is the normal save process? Am I okay just quitting out anytime? The warning message make it sound like nothing will save, but you can't manually save I guess.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Wow, when you come across those campfires and they have the animals strung up, you can cut them free and skin them without an honor hit, but I picked up one of the skinned animals and it gave me a HUGE honor hit. I was almost maxed out too, time to go catch and release fish for awhile I guess.

Also just walking around, I found the werewolf man and thought he was being attacked, so I killed the two wolves next to him in the den, and he just started screaming and crying and wailing and it was making me terribly sad, so I shot him and took a huge honor hit when I thought I was putting him out of his misery. I grabbed his body and dumped him into the water and he floated away face up and they actually rendered him a big old fat dick that was bobbing along with him in the water, lol

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm confused at what chapter/epilogue I'm in. I thought I was still in chapter 5, but I just did

The mission Red Dead Redemption and I went off with Sadie to rescue Abigail and killed that Pinkerton dude and then Arthur was coughing and sitting down and I got on my horse and a song was playing and it told me to hold down X to ride but I was playing for like 2 hours at this point and I had to leave and power down my PS4 and take it with me so I have no idea where it saved or where I will start up. It seemed like the missions just started one after the other and I could never stop to save because it was grayed out.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
:( I never went fishing with that one legged guy - REGRETS

also if my save was before all that started I don't mind playing those missions again, they are great.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

AndyElusive posted:

What even is this complaint? Shootin' dudes is the main draw of this dang game! :clint:

I do get the disconnect between wanting to empathize with Arthur and make him a good guy, but I think it just hammers home the fact that Arthur can be good, just his situation is always bad. I really, really don't want Arthur to have to be bad, I feel bad for him. It's pretty incredible and a drastic change from just me feeling bad about doing bad stuff. I completely care about Arthur's struggle and we are both kinda helpless to change it, we gotta keep filling graves.

I played RDR1 so I know I can't, but holy hell, I want Arthur to murder the gently caress outta Dutch. There was one point where he was riding everyone into Saint Denis to rob the train and going on about loyalty and that if anyone wanted out they should leave, so I just rode my horse away and then everyone stopped and started yelling and me to get back and then Dutch said in a normal voice "Now as I was saying" and then went right back into his insane yelling loyalty rant

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Diabetic posted:

Chapter 5 spoilers:

I loved the loving island, the ocean crashing against the shore and everything else. There's no way I get to go back is there? If no, gently caress Rockstar having these amazing set pieces that are only used for roughly an hour of gameplay. I want a game just set in that area that isn't Assassin's Creed.

I hope you can, I didn't spend much time because I had nothing and a snake bit me and I needed a cure I didn't have and anytime I found anything cool the local police force would swarm on me and ruin it. I just wanna go exploring that area drat it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Seems like you guys just don't have enough faith. And loyalty. And money, does anyone have a lot of money?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is a later journal entry depending on how you do these things where admonishes himself for not knowing how to spell their names.

I found it very surprising he never got the name Saint Denis wrong. I got it wrong before somebody said it out loud.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
If epilogue 2 went on forever I'd be really happy. I wouldn't mind a full Farmville inside Red Dead Redemption 2. If the online had an actual farm simulator built into it and you could hire hands and manage crops and sell produce that would own too. Of course you could still go out and rob a bank or kill a bunch of forest hobos or whatever, but the concept of actually running a farm would be great. A little bit of Fallout 4's settler camps mixed in. Oh man.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Fanatic posted:

Nice. The one I got was standing completely still out in the open NW of Strawberry. I think it was drinking from the stream running alongside the road. They definitely aren't as elusive as the panther.

I had that encounter at the start of the game and it was the first wild animal attack I dealt with, and it was at night and it totally killed me as I fumbled to remember how to pull up a weapon. The next time I saw one, it was just standing in the middle of the road and didn't really notice me even though I was way too close. I heard a panther once, but haven't seen one yet. I haven't really been trying to hunt much though. I got through the story mode (mostly) and now I'm doing all the hunting stuff.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TulliusCicero posted:

That part was not that bad and honestly kinda charming

Reminded me of the girls singing going to Valentine with Uncle :3:

I would pay for extra DLC to keep that part going forever, just live stream the voice actors

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Donovan Trip posted:

open world paranormal sci fi x files type game make it happen R*

I want to walk around and shout HOWDY at aliens.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Maybe they aren't working on anything and they programmed the "glitch" in intentionally with an extremely small of triggering to drive people crazy trying to figure out what it means.

I like how a lot of people are trying to argue "It makes no sense for them to leave it in the game" like they forgot about Rockstar leaving a whole sex mini game inside SA

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

DogonCrook posted:

They cant monetize you playing bounty hunter in sp. Personally i feel like all the mysteries are the game designers rebelling because i bet all that gameplay slipped right by the bean counters who pretty clearly did not want you hanging around in sp where they cant monetize anything. I mean i could definetly be wrong and im overly cynical but i feel like that was the best they could do for us post game without the execs shutting it down lol.

I think this might be a little different, nobody was clamoring for more story in GTA5, but Red Dead Redemption 2 feels like a new direction for the company and the story telling is on the front of that. I'd like to keep hoping for more story DLC, RDR1 in this engine and other stuff.

You just gotta have faith. And more money.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TjyvTompa posted:

How is the online in this game? I remember back in RDR how you would get constantly sniped by people you couldn't even see, is it still the same issue in this game or did they fix it?

Yeah, you still have to play online games with other people, so that happens.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried that once, I gave up after Arthur was pretty drunk and nothing fun was happening.

In most video games if you sip a beer you get blasted into another reality. Arthur can pack away like 3 whole bottles of whiskey and he just starts singing quietly to himself.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm imagining doing online stranger missions in a private server and thinking how little payoff there is for taking on the AI enemies in them.

I just want to play cowboys with my friends and hunt rabbits and look at birds and see if we can make our horses kiss each other.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hobo Clown posted:

There's definitely a cutscene or dialogue that didn't trigger for you for some reason. I swear I remember him introducing John to his wife (or her calling in from the other room or something) but I just rewatched it on Youtube and it doesn't happen so maybe I imagined it? He also keeps a photo of himself and the rest of the Van Der Linde gang hung up on the wall, which seems like a bad idea.

There was a whole scene for me, it was rather nice. I'm happy for him, he seemed like a pretty decent feller. After that scene he just acts normal though.

I am impressed how much this game scripted lines for scenes like this though. It feels like everyone could just keep talking forever. I switched to another game (Vampyr) and it really hits you how other games feel like characters reading their two line responses and repeating the same dialog. I hope RDR2 didn't break games like Breath of the Wild broke open world for me if you can't climb on stuff.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey you know those Pinkerton guys from the 1900s who murdered people for corporations, what are they up to these days, making sequels to AAA big budget video games by any chance?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I never fished because it takes forever and it feels like I'm mangling my controller. Well, I mean with the fishing pole at least, I will shoot and stab and blow up fish with dynamite and hope there are pieces left to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Can I setup an online match and just play the game with my friend yet, or is it still (will it always be) insane murder town massacre nonsense? We just wanna pal around and talk to each other while hunting and exploring. Shooting people, blargh, no thanks.