Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I really dig the first RDR but I have concerns because this is a Rockstar game and their games have often come across to me as designed in a vacuum and they have the money to make their games look and sound very impressive, but always have weird design decisions and rarely evolve. GTA5 improved on some aspects but it still feels like you're controlling a ten-ton bowling ball instead of a character.

What I'm saying is if I have to still tap a button to make the character sprint, goddamn it. It's been a dumb way to control a character since GTA 3 and in modern games putting any kind of maintained movement control to a face button on a controller is dumb because then you have to choose between running and camera control.

Rant over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not alone in thinking that "tap button to sprint" is horrendously stupid, am I? :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What I like is move stick slightly to walk, push it all the way to run. That's all fine and good. Click in stick to go into a sprint, brilliant. That's a formula I can get behind and I think should be a standard for every third-person action game in the world. But at the very least map the run/sprint button to a shoulder button so I can move the camera around while I do it. It just seems so obvious and when it's not done in that way it comes across as a total oversight, especially in a third-person shooter like GTA or RDR and over all these years it's made Rockstar seem like a stuck-in-their-ways developer, doing things their way instead of what's best for the game.

Capn Beeb posted:

Nah it's a bit annoying, especially when you can get around it in GTA5 by going into first person mode and holding the run button.

That was genuinely baffling to me. I mean, in GTA4 multiplayer you could walk by slightly pushing the stick and run by pushing it all the way. To sprint, you had to press a face button, which was still bad, but at least an improvement. But they axed that from the GTA5 multiplayer altogether, yet in first-person view it works exactly like that. Whyyyyy?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If you play a game like GTA or RDR on a mouse, you're a freak.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Thief posted:

playing GTAIV on the pc made me feel like Jason Bourne doing seemless 360s after the police crashed into me and perfectly headshotting them in the process

PvP lasso griefing will be changed forever with this sort of accuracy

Hey I had those moments too on the PS3 but they felt more earned and magnificent because I had to struggle with the sluggish RAGE engine controls!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And what's better for all is not having to tap a drat button to do a fundamental action in a game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Some games have “always running” options, then you’d have to hold a button to walk if you want. It’s not like this is a solved problem and you can easily have everyone happy by letting them choose.

More options would be fine and good, just don't be dumb and make people choose between camera control and faster movement; boy a gunfight breaks out and I can choose between running for cover or moseying along and shootin' folks! Seriously if this is still in RDR2 it's phenomenally stupid, but if it's not, I'll happily bow down to Rockstar's genius.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yeah, for a dev team of their size (and money) it’s extremely lovely to only have that option of movement control (that I also find to be the worst one)

That's just it, like with GTA5 they have the money to put on a magnificent show, audiovisually speaking, but it's almost as if there is a hidden stubbornness to it all; they've largely stuck to their controls for a very long time for whatever reason when better options are available. I genuinely hope RDR2 will be the one to break from that pattern and give in (not that it would even be a significant thing to give in to) and have controls that are more widely accepted nowadays. It may seem like a small thing but it absolutely adds up over several hours of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Fool posted:

You're not, movement is different when you're aiming.

In GTA5 you're still walking normally unless you press the specific run button to run while aiming, which means you'll have to choose between fast movement and precise aiming. It's rubbish.