Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Man, I'm in love with Online. Just hunting, collecting, doing a few bounties. Riding into to town to play dress-up every once in a while. On one of these trips into town, a two-man posse had besieged it, taking all comers. I was in defensive mode and perfectly happy to just let them do their thing, as long as they let me do mine. They didn't. I think I lassoed, hogtied and executed them three or four times each, and they kept coming at me. They kept trying to lasso or melee me, wanting to humiliate me in the same way I humiliated them I guess, not realising that they couldn't do either of those to a player in defensive mode. Eventually, they got wise and started shooting at me instead, so I ran into a shop. Spent the next few minutes popping out to blast one of them with the shotgun barrel on the LeMat as they ran by. Eventually they managed to kill me, but at that point it had gotten a bit stale, so I robbed them of ever getting proper revenge by horsing up and riding off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Patch borked my game a bit. It was running flawlessly before, now I'm getting random crashes when approaching settlements. It's not every time, and when it doesn't crash, that settlement seems to be fine for the rest of the session. I also took a performance hit, losing about 15 fps on average. Then there's a bunch of gameplay weirdness, like waypoints and markers not working correctly, or guns being carried all wonky on your characters back, or dead-eye bugging out after it ends, making you unable to move until you click RMB again. Makes the patch seem a bit undercooked.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Electronico6 posted:

Are you using that launcher command they recommend? I was using it and it was giving me crashes, now I'm trying without it and no crashes, but it has the rare stutter.

Yeah, I was. I figured it couldn't hurt, but apparently it did. Just played about an hour without it, stopping by every town, and no issues whatsoever. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Icedude posted:

The snowwy areas of the map are some of the nicest looking, but it's a shame there's jack poo poo up there in Online:

I was looking forward to weathering a blizzard in Online, but turns out all the snowy weather effects are disabled. Instead you get rain at -16C.

I said come in! posted:

I just like to do the matchmaking modes, which you end up not really needing to buy any weapons for those. The grind is really just if you want to play cowboy dress up, but there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that Grand Theft Auto Online is a way better dress up simulator.

Disagree. Cowboy dress-up > modern day dress-up.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Just ran into my first cheater. He was spawning animals, dynamite and fire bottles on top of people, moving at insane speeds and aimbotting. He disappeared mid-spree, so I'm (maybe naively) hoping that was whatever anti-cheat they've got busting him. Though from experience with trainers in GTA4 and 5, it might just have been the trainer causing his game to crash.

On the topic of crashing, anyone else have an issue with fire bottles/lanterns exploding causing their game to crash? It happens very rarely, but I've had three or four crashes that have happened just as a fire bottle or lantern exploded.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 19, 2019

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Icedude posted:

e: oh, and in the area between Blackwater and McFarlane Ranch look out for random lanterns on the ground next to trees. You'll find a treasure map stuck to the tree with a knife if you find one of those. Not sure if it's anywhere else on the map but that's the only place I've seen them
I've found one of those in the hills in southern New Austin, one up in Ambarino and one somwhere around Emerald ranch, I think.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Capn Beeb posted:

About this: You hit the max payout at the halfway timer mark. Bounty started with 12 minutes? Turn it in at 6 minutes, no need to wait until 30 seconds left.

Are we sure about this? I had it told that it's based on time elapsed, and that the timer itself tells you nothing about how much you'll get, and my own experience seems to confirm this. I've consistently gotten 250-300xp per bounty, regardless of time left on the timer, if I just spend 10 minutes hunting or shopping or whatever before heading out towards the target (since in most cases, there's no timer until you reach the target are.)

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

pmchem posted:

I take back my comments about PC crashes. Launching RDR Online to free roam is causing instant crash for me now, with no apparent reason why. Nothing changed from this morning.

I've had this problem a couple of times, always fixed it by picking free roam in a specific location. Say I logged off outside of Tumbleweed, and I get a crash every time I try to enter free roam, I'll just scroll to the bottom and pick free roam in any location that isn't New Austin, and the crashes stop.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

I said come in! posted:

Just had a match where I was stabbing a player over and over again and they took no damage. I don't know why I continue to bother with the competitive mode for RDO on PC. It's completely broken due to cheating. And of course with no way in-game to report this, these players can just go on with cheating with complete immunity.

You can report them in-game, though? Just go into the player menu, then player list, find the player in question and click on their name. One of the options will be 'Report Player', and one of the reasons is cheating.

Also, after checking to find further confirmation that you can end up being banned for reporting a cheater, seems like the reddit post in question has been updated to reflect that he got banned for naming-and-shaming said cheater on his Twitch, which is apparently an EULA violation.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

I was eyeing the Kladruber, but having no gold due to becoming a Collector and a Bounty Hunter (and spending the rest on things that make me look cool), I had to find an alternative, so I ended up buying myself a Turkoman instead. She's big, she's fast, she's tanky. Such a good horse. The only times she's bucked me have been when I've taken too long to kill off a wolf pack, and that one time when a grizzly and a cougar decided to double-team me. Yesterday, I had a cougar circling me for 30-40 seconds while my brother tried to lasso it (I told him it couldn't be done, but he had to check for himself), and the horse limited herself to whining a bit about it.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

I'm thinking the Steam release might have brought a slight influx of cheaters. Had some guy start shooting at me randomly. He was rank 12 and a really bad shot, so I charged him with my Pump-Action. My shots did no damage to him, though, so I lassoed and hogtied him, let him break free, then did it again. He eventually left the session. Not two minutes later, some guy one-shot me with a Carbine Repeater while I was in defensive mode. I just parleyed and reported him.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

HORMELCHILI posted:

buying maps spawns collectors items in places they might not be for you before using the map i think like eggs and flowers are the only things in fixed spots

Nah, all collectibles rotate between fixed positions, and always exist in the world. There are three cycles, and it changes once per day (at 0:00 AM UTC.) The map FileNotFound linked will give you the exact position of every collectible, and will also tell you how long you have until the cycle changes.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

So my daily challenge streak is now at 29/28 days, apparently not completed.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Mux posted:

I'm guessing it's just a bug then. Thanks for at least confirming that it's per player otherwise I would be losing my mind running halfway across the map wondering why my precious egg isn't there.

Eggs are finicky as gently caress, and sometimes refuse to spawn. Other times they spawn but are basically impossible to knock out of the tree (I've had this issue with hawk and egret eggs.) I collected the full set once, and then never again.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Mux posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at a Cycle 1 map. It looks like the RDO collection map I'm using (Jeans') auto updates the spawns depending on what cycle it is.

Keep in mind that it doesn't update by default, so if you opened it before the last reset, and the tab/browser has been open since, you'll have to refresh to get it to update.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Went AFK for a bit, and came back to find a rank 6 player taking a picture of me on my horse

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

FileNotFound posted:

And then you lassoed him and showed him just how fast your horse goes right?

Since he was essentially complementing me, I let him go. Had some rank 7 spit on me, though, and he got a load of buckshot. Killed his horse, too.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

pmchem posted:

word is collectors are screwed in the update

They didn't touch XP or money rewards, they just changed up all the item locations. I would hardly call that screwed.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Some random dudes attacked me in Blackwater while I was defensive and checking my settings. They of course came after me when I respawned, so I got dragged into a protracted gun battle with them. Since I was in defensive mode, dealing with them wasn't too hard. Only challenge was the guy who kept trying to flank me with incendiary shells. I mostly managed to avoid getting to close to him, but he got me a couple of times. Funniest part was the guy who, after failing to kill me on account of being real bad, asked "why do you have hacks?" He then told the rest of his posse "we've got a hacker here, let's just leave." Guy was rank 104 How has he not heard of or experienced defensive mode before?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

So, I was out in Lemoyne to grab the three blood flowers there. I arrive at the first one at 10pm, and move towards the second one. On the way there, the darkness lifts and all of a sudden it's daytime. I check the in-game clock, and sure enough, now it's apparently 5pm.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

ILL Machina posted:

Any chance you confused the collectable timer with the actual clock?
Here's a clip of it, since it was weird enough that I decided to save it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5keCYegTy0

I stopped by that camp to pick up an heirloom, and because a bunch of guys spawned, and I wanted to see if it'd become a hideout or something.

Here's a screengrab from about three minutes earlier in the full length clip.

So yeah, time definitely just changed abruptly from middle of the night to late afternoon.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Zesty posted:

It was a cheater.

I afk'd to wait for 10pm to get the final two blood flowers, and when I came back after 10 minutes, 45 minutes had passed in game (seemingly, it had gone from 5.30pm to 6:15pm), so yeah, someone was probably loving with something.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

PlushCow posted:

Oh man I didn't know this, that's sad. I think I thought many didnt spawn randomly.

I am fairly new to online, do these stranger missions, like the ones for Bonnie at Hennigan's Stead, run out, or do they eventually repeat?

The strangers give you one mission per in-game day.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Doing the daily challenge of visiting both Saint Denis and Colter within an hour, I fast traveled to Colter, and after getting credit for dropping by, I fast traveled to my camp. Just as it fades out, the game notifies me that there's a legendary animal nearby. Well gently caress. Hit Alt+F4, then relaunch the game. It loads me into Colter, and whaddya know? A legendary animal is nearby.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Stoatbringer posted:

NPCs are so touchy in this game.

Minding my own business, trying to be an honourable outlaw, just riding through the mountains when my horse bumps another guy's. He immediately gets angry and starts shooting so I have to kill him. While I'm trying to dump his corpse in a ravine somebody else rides by and becomes a Witness, so I have to kill him too. Then it happens again! Now there are bodies everywhere when I didn't want to start any trouble in the first place.

Likewise, I paid for a wagon of lumber from the lumber yard, but as it was dark and raining I managed to immediately get the wagon stuck between some trees. While trying to figure out if it was possible to reverse the wagon I accidentally fired my revolver (not at anybody) which of course aggroed the entire lumber camp and got me killed.

I'm a very clumsy cowboy, it seems.

I think it's super dumb that if some guy starts blasting because you walked to close to him or w/e, you can't kill him without having a million witnesses wanting to report you for murder. Some NPC in Valentine killed like four random NPCs just wildly shooting at me, but if I were to plug him, I'm the one on the hook for murder.

You can run into a guy enough that he challenges you to fisticuffs, and beating him up doesn't count as assault because the AI is able to recognize that he was a willing participant. Somehow, it can't do the same for trigger happy dudes, and even knocking them unconscious runs you the risk of being reported for assault for some reason.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"No officer, I'm not responsible for all of these dead bodies. Its that dead guy over there what done did it!" I mean if you had died, who's to say that random NPC wouldn't have also been on the hook for those murders?

My complaint was specifically about the witnesses, whose AI is able to distinguish between an assault and a fistfight, but will report you for assault or murder if you neutralize a dude that started blasting because he got angry with you for existing in his vicinity.

The good people of Valentine's reaction to me killing a guy who just killed four people by shooting wildly into a crowded saloon shouldn't be "oh my god you just murdered a man, I'm telling the law!"

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 27, 2020

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Cardiovorax posted:

That's strange. Shouldn't it be the other way around? More spawns for more people.

From what I've gathered, the working theory is as follows: When you're alone, the game only has to keep track of what's within your draw-distance, and thus has more resources left over to spawn events and animals. The more players, the more resources are used to keep track of players and whatever's around them, leaving less resources to spawn events and animals.

Another theory is that the game is set to spawn stuff at a certain frequency, regardless of number of people in a lobby. When you're alone, or in a low-pop lobby, this means more stuff will spawn in your proximity, thus giving you more to do.

This is all stuff I've seen others claim, but both seem plausible.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

fennesz posted:

Honestly the best way to fill out your collections is to just ride around with your metal detector out all the time and toggle eagle eye when you near a spot that might have a collector spawn - just so you can see the yellow glowies they give off in the distance. Just be aware that if your metal detector is out you won't get the vibration of any collector items that don't require the metal detector to find. And as I type this out I realize that PC folks probably have a lot harder time collecting with KB+M because using vibration to find stuff is so, so helpful. Having Bounty Hunter leveled up so you can travel at any speed while using eagle eye is also unfathomably helpful.

But honestly parking yourself near a butcher (Valentine, Rhodes and Tumbleweed have all been really great for me) and just filling your horse with any game you can find and running back to the butcher to sell ASAP I still think is one of the best ways to make money. I did this way back in beta before roles were released and never really found myself wanting for money. The big downside is that it is boring as gently caress, whereas Collecting you can just ride around to any areas of the map you find interesting and make bank.

I've honestly been enjoying the Collector role more since they randomized the valuable collections. Since you're no longer guaranteed to be able to fill out these sets in a day, I no longer do the long-rear end runs for all of them. Now I just have my metal detector out and dig up whatever it points me to. I'll also drop by spots I know can have collectibles, and sometimes I find one. Basically, I'm playing Collector like Rockstar probably intended it to be played.

I guess it also helps that I finally decided to focus on Trader. $500 every two sessions or so is decent money, and a nice enough replacement for the loss of income for collecting. Hunting is also a lot more fun than roaming from collectible to collectible, so while the return is lower, I'm actually doing something I enjoy. I also went ahead and got myself the solo lobby fix (PC) during the 50% Trader bonus reward week just so I could do long distance deliveries for $940 a pop.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Trivia posted:

I'm itching for a new game after finishing witcher 3. I've seen mixed reviews; what say you goons? Worth paying full price?

It's a great game, up there with Witcher 3 in terms quality. I prefer RDR2, simply because I think the open world is better. It feels more alive and is more fun to explore.

If you're on PC, it's $42 on Greenmangaming for the next 10 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

The last eight coins I've found, over the last several days, have all been the 1789 Penny. At this rate, I'll have completed the collection in never.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 27, 2020