Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

THe writing looks a lot better than GTAV's so I'm starting to get hopeful. Are there any videos out there showing UI, menus, fast travel and other quality of life stuff? Cause that's the only big issue with GTAV I haven't seen evidence of being fixed in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BitBasher posted:

GTAO is making them assloads of money, don't bet on it.

The guy behind got booted out for being a cokehead pretty sure, but yeah even with them gone they're almost certainly just gonna do the same looking at how well it worked.

Edit:Whelp

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Instead of gold or platinum grills, you can sport wooden or iron teeth as micro transactions. Whattup indeed.

Go the full Washington horrorshow with a medley of teeth from slaves and a variety of animals.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

With the GTA pistol unlock, do npcs count for headshots or do I need to kill players?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

titties posted:

NPCs work.

1500 posted:

NPC's work. I just finished both. Took me about 3 hours, but I suck so you might get it done faster.

wezmon posted:

If you have the ability unlocked to call Lester and get the cops to turn a blind eye, do that at any heavily populated spot and you'll have it done in a jiffy. Same for the stone hatchet.

Thanks all got it done this arvo.

Looking at GTAO for the first time since launch, did they ever backport any of the guns and cars to single player cause drat was the base game kinda lacking on that front.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like there's some chance Rockstar will step in it with aftermath of the Civil War stuff, either chickenshit and piss off people with whitewashing and "both sides" or less likely portray it accurately and piss off chuds by suggesting slavery was bad and the South sucked.

But pointless to speculate til it happens, hoping for the latter though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

LA Noire had some pretty well written three dimensional characters, so they obviously do have the creative talent when they choose to

That was a different now dead studio, Rockstar published it.

GTA V had a real problem with being so cynical and hateful it just robbed the story of any sort of impact. The worst sort crotchety reactionary GenX whining, like South Park.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Where is RDR2 being made? Cause if it's mostly the Scotland offices things look a lot better due to their labour laws than if it's over in the States.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Jesus Rockstar. Your writing isn't your strong point why care bout spoilers so much.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Starks posted:

So the consensus seems to be: great open world, bad story and writing, good gameplay

It’s a rockstar game alright

I said come in! posted:

No, exact opposite. The story, writing, gameplay, and open world are all great.

Aphex- posted:

Yeah most of the reviews I've seen are saying it's a very good story, apparently a lot less cynical and more earnest than other rockstar games.

What I've seen of the writing from streams, reviews etc suggests a major improvement in character writing and small scale personal stuff.

And the same old oblivious Rockstar botch job on anything to do with race, gender and politics, exacerbated by focusing on the reconstruction era South.

Which is better than I was expecting honestly the cast being likeable and empathetic is a big step up from GTA5.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s post reconstruction by about 25 to 30 years. It’s more middle late gilded age plus I never expected rockstar to tackle or go after the racial issues in any big or meaningful way, this isn’t mafia 3.

Right, Australian so my knowledge of US history can be fuzzy on the details. My point I guess was more they decided to wade into situations involving plantations and poo poo so it's fair to give them poo poo for loving it up. Like yeah I'm not expecting them to deal with racial issues, but they kinda chose to anyway and didn't do it great by reports.

Shoehead posted:

It's really sad that that is a step up, but god drat GTA V was miserable. It didn't help me that I was going through a really tough time in my life and I couldn't deal with how incredibly horrible every single character was in single player V. (Except Lamar, he was solid)

Hentai Jihadist posted:

hey! another lamar fan, yeah he was legit the only good character in that whole game. Man GTAV was terrible with its characters.

Hour 1: Three grown men endlessly bitching and crying at eachother

Hour 100: Three grown men endlessly bitching and crying at eachother

Someone up thread asked who wouldn't do the death wish ending. Me. Cause after that game I just needed one of those fuckers to die (Michael BTW Trevor at least had his moments).

Protagonists don't need to be good people, but if you want me to play as them for that loving long they better be likeable. Protagonists you hate only really work in short games where you don't burn out. Like Silent Hill 2.

Also yeah Lamar was like the only consistently good bit of that game's writing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my biggest issue with 5 and to a greater extent 4 and even red dead 1 was that everyone talked like they written were by rod serling if he were alot more cynical. everyone can make deep insitful long winded remarks about society, humanity, etc in long passionate way. and it got old and weird fast. and i have a soft spot for that kinda poo poo.

Rod Serlings generous. I'd say it's South Park with the saving grace that the Rockstar doesn't run a creepy rear end libertarian bent.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So are these Bone posts just a forums thing or is there some reviews/ads they're lampooning?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

They're usually hyperbolic jabs but.... in this case, I'd say they're correct. The Xbox One X version is the definitive version.

Oh I get that.

It's more the stream of posters coming in with over the top console war posts. Thought there might be a meme I'm missing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JBP posted:

Holy Christ a one x is $650aud lmao

$500 at JB with RDR2 and Forza until Sunday.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I thought Bone Ambassador was doing a tired bit. But considering people are biting I now salute their efforts.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JBP posted:

I think I'll just buy $500 worth of weed and MD to augment my play.

Yeah that's the superior choice. I got a four day weekend and a couple of bottles of nice(ish) bourbon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JBP posted:

I thought everyone was being ironic

I'm never sure of that anymore.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Republicans posted:

Ah gently caress, an npc died during a mission and I wasn't paying attention to which button does what and I ended up restarting the whole mission. I wouldn't mind if you could skip the horse-riding parts before you actually get to mission.

Unlucky7 posted:

Did about 3 missions, including the intro. That sure is some well made trudging through the snow. I am only being partially sarcastic!

Also,

Rockstar Employee: "Maybe we should do away with the old Hold/Tap X to Run mechanic from the old GTA engine?"

Dan Houser: "SHUT THE gently caress UP AND GET TO WORK ON THOSE HORSE TESTICLES!"

Goddamnit Rockstar you had 7 years (okay 5 years accounting for the crippling effect overwork has on actual productivity, but that's your manager's willfull ignorance/greed) and a hundred thousand billion dollars. Pay attention to QoL improvements other people have made since Vice City for fucks sake. I'm pretty sure Saints Row 1 fixed this poo poo.

"Oh we don't pay attention to current media" no loving poo poo, you pretentious jackass.

Good game otherwise but holy gently caress is this poo poo irritating.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh wow excellent. Good job whoever paid some attention to 10 year old QoL improvements.

Not letting you off the hook for the terrible checkpointing though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Where do you get the pre order dlc and the GTAO poo poo?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone else having issues getting the GTAO stuff? The gun is full price in the store and I got no idea where the hatchet is.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ugh seriously thinking the game broke and isn't giving me my GTAO poo poo, there's an hour of crap for nothing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cultural Marxist posted:

The specific gun and ability to equip a hatchet don’t unlock until certain points in the story.

I've got the camp and I reached the gun store in Valentine, or are we talking further?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Starks posted:

Crazy how many people are (rightfully) upset by the controls and I can’t believe how few reviews mention it. This is like The Last Jedi or Black and White levels of lying to the public by critics.

Even that bad slant review doesn’t actually talk about how annoying it is to have to get your rifle from your loving horse every time. It’s like rockstar put a moratorium on talking about these glaring flaws.

What was wrong with TLJ's review coverage? P good movie and most reviews were pretty upfront about it doing some poo poo that might piss off fanboys.

But yeah it's loving weird it never got mentioned, especially given how reviewers are usually real loving aggro bout anything that slows the game down cause of the deadlines they deal with.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So after a day with the game

- holy poo poo the simulation aspects, hunting and pissing around are the best ever and are goty on their own.
- the writing is shockingly good for Rockstar and seems throwing back to San Andreas and Bully when they knew how to write likeable characters, but even more so. Rockstar pulling back on the "15 year old hears about Nietzsche" nihilism finally. I like most of the cast, most of the quest npcs are likeable, sympathetic or at least amusing. Hell most of the random world npcs aren't misanthropic caricatures. It's a loving miracle.
- the controls/movement suuuuuuccckkks. This poo poo is real bad coming off the latest Butt Religion.
- the bits where missions force you into specific actions and tear away from the immersive sim aspects are jarring garbage and are like someone just inserted outdated early 2000s design into my otherwise fantastic game. Oh wait that's exactly what it is, stop using the same mission design constraints you have since GTA3 for fucks sake.

9/10 cause cowboy immserive sim with enjoyable writing and as someone who will put up with Eurojank dealing with Rockstar's bullshit gameplay isn't too big an ask when I don't have to deal with their worst writing habits too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I did the mission to rescue Sean and now the Dutch mission is gone, did I miss it or will it come back? The only mission at camp is John's.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

insane anime posted:

A bunch of betamale soyboys on the internet forum for far out left liberals suddenly clutching on to American ideals and the "toxic" masculinity that the right has been touting ever since America got Great again has no idea what it means to be a real cowboy. I lived on a ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming helping my dad maintain the ranch. If I didn't that meant I didn't get to eat, and my baby sister who was sick might die. Busting my rear end in the stables, waking up at the rear end crack of dawn, and not going to bed until the cows literally came home. I've shoveled poo poo, and I've buried my own dog. Nearest veterinarian was a ways into town, and I've had to suture a bulls bleeding nutsack after castration. So continue living in your fantasy playing Red Dead Redemption, hell, I wish I was as oblivious to you. I know the reality of it though, and it's not all glamorous train robberies and drinking at the saloon. It's a lot of hard work, and a lot of real heart break.

source your quotes

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

insane anime posted:

For starters, my calloused hands. Secondaly, the scars on my arms for tying barbwire fences to keep coyotes out from destroying everything my father worked for. Thirdly, the blood on my shirt from helping birth live cows. Fourth, my mother's corpse that I buried on the family plot. Good enough for you?

Please use Harvard style, that's the accepted forum standard. eg callouses (insane anime's hands, 2018).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Auugh I think there are missable proper missions. loving hell.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Any way to store weapons somewhere other than your horse?

Or should I just sell old guns?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Popelmon posted:

Who the gently caress designed that garbage white cougar debtor mission?

That got me at first, then the next try I backed up to the mouth of the cave and aimed my rifle and dead eyed the second it appeared. It loving ruled.

This game is completely amazing when it lets you go off and complete things by coming up with plans yourself.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

What is Rockstar like post launch? Historically would they patch something like the bounty system?

No, but Rockstar also hasn't done poo poo for many years so who knows what they'll do now that such things are kind of expected. Leaning to no though, but there isn't really a pattern to make giving they released one game in the last decade.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

I'm not fully taken with this game yet. Finished the intro section, then rode around in the 1899 sandbox for a while, killing people and stealing wagons. It seems a lot like GTA, I guess.

What are some fun things to do?

And how do I fast travel?

I'm really enjoying the fishing and hunting. I am a complete sucker for fishing minigames and this has a good one. Not FF15 good but still great.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

In chapter 3 and kinda loving the way they're handling poo poo. Like I get the complaints about "making light" of things by making the Klan slapstick wilderness encounters, but also that shits is cathartic and it's fun sometimes. Coming off the last AAA game to approach this poo poo being Far Cry 5's toothless centrism the utter lack of compromise and handwringing in the writing is nice. The stranger mission with the slavecatcher basically just giving the 'heritage not hate' tools the finger was particularly cool. I'm getting real worried at how much I'm liking the cast cause I'm p sure everyone's gonna die, and everyone not in RDR1 will die before the game ends.

I unfortunately found out I have the Jack/Sadie/John/Abigail glitch so I'm considering putting the game on hold til we get some patch news. I found Jack a storybook at a murder scene and now can't find him to give it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So to people who beat the game, does it do the RDR1 thing and kill off the lead and we play as someone else in the epilogue? Cause like Charles or Sadie would be cool for that.

goferchan posted:

How far into Chapter 3 are you? I apparently had that bug too and it resolve itself shortly after starting Chapter 4, I was able to give Jack his book then. I don't think you miss out on any companion missions or anything, only some camp flavor dialogue while they're gone

Just did the quest to help Lenny steal the Raider's guns.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

We got any idea when a patch is coming for like the disappearing John/Sadie poo poo?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Knowing Rockstar,probably not for another 6 months or so.

This is why you don't make your employees do 100 hour weeks you loving morons.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Can you not do things with rare weapons at the gunsmith? I just acquired a rare shotgun and it isn't in the menu.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone else having an issue with the challenges? Tracking species through the binocs just stopped registering after the fourth.

Aphrodite posted:

Question about the Marston family/Sadie bug.

Does Sadie actually have any missions in chapter 2?

Originally I read that it was just a Marston bug so when I did get the fishing mission from Jack I thought I was bug free, but today I read Sadie's potentially bugged too.

She didn't give me anything in chapter 2 but neither did several other characters, so I don't know if she just doesn't have anything or if she bugged for me.

I believe they reappear for missions. It's camp dialogue and being able to give them requested items that is an issue. I'm gonna do as much random open world crap as I can in chapter 3 to see if we get a week 2 patch resolving this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah there's never any implication that RDR takes place in anything other than boring old real-life USA. Well, barring the fact that you can cure bullet wounds with canned peaches.

And all the non-existent states taking the place of much of the south and west.